View Full Version : We made the big time!

Lauri101
01-10-2007, 03:47 PM
As a long-time resident of Midwest City, sometimes it seems as though Eastern Oklahoma County is ignored by the rest of the county.

Why do I live in Midwest City? Let me count the ways:

12 minute drive to downtown OKC, and going opposite direction of both traffic and sun-in-eyes
Sales tax is cheaper
Neighborhood (original square mile) is quiet and settled - good mix of ages, races and nationalities
We are finally getting some new eating and shopping places on SE 29th
Property taxes and insurance rates lower
Schools better than OKC
People actually come out for community events
Did I mention 12 minute commute? :)

MadMonk
01-10-2007, 09:40 PM
Aside from your glowing review, what exactly has made MWC hit "the big time?"

Spartan
01-10-2007, 10:36 PM
Didn't you read?

1. The sun is not in your eyes, and you're the only one commuting from DT to MWC.
2. The sales tax is probably a few points cheaper.
3. The neighborhoods are ethnic.
4. MWC finally has a strip mall.
5. Lower property taxes
6. The schools are at least better than the inner city schools
7. Lovely community events make up the 'scene'
8. And, the commute thing again

Sorry Lauri, I just had to post something facetious on here since it's been so long. Don't hate me for it.

:sofa:

Lauri101
01-11-2007, 02:37 AM
The "big time" was a reference to MWC getting a mini-forum - geez, lighten up!

Spartan - I feel the love!:biggrin:

MadMonk
01-11-2007, 05:46 AM
Lighten up yourself. I thought that maybe there was some big news I missed that you may have forgotten to include in your post. I didn't realize that this was the first post in a MWC/DC forum.

bombermwc
01-11-2007, 03:04 PM
I'm a lifelong MWC resident myself. And I think MWC in the last 10 years has reidentified itself. After the hospital sold, I was really angry (and still sort of am because the care sucks compared to what is was as a city non-profit hospital...anyway), but that sale has allowed for every bit of that growth on 29th.

Plus, developments have been spurred along in all parts of town. Residential development has taken off in the east of Douglas area, and commercial developments have increased exponentially in the last 3 years along the main arteries.

And has anyone noticed that the roads in MWC are better than pretty much anywhere else in town? Thanks to some nice federal grants we've got sidewalks around every mile and most main roads and many residential ones have been repaved....making for a nice smooth ride (unlike okc's crappy pot-hole ridden streets).

The schools are still great too folks. I know of some students from MCHS that are currently at places like Columbia, so education is still great here.

Fire rates are the lowest in the state because of the top notch fire coverage...that is only getting better with some new grants. It's just a great safe place to be. Even the old parts are safe folks. Appearances may be deceiving in parts of MWC because they look old because of the type of housing it is (40's cookie cutter small stuff...the origional mile), but I would still feel fine walking around by myself at night...and see it all the time.

There is a separation problem though in that anything north of 10th street (which happens to be the divider to OKC and Crutcho schools as well) pretty much gets ignored and is much less safe. I'm not even sure what to say about that area....it is in a desperate need of some help but its a huge area to try and fix.

windowphobe
01-11-2007, 05:13 PM
I lived in that combat zone north of 10th for a while, and was happy to escape.

During the early 90s, I rented a small house in the Original Square Mile. (Well, it's actually bigger than my current house.) Fairly nice, though I couldn't tell you what it's like over there now.

Lauri101
01-12-2007, 03:56 AM
I heartily agree with statements about north of 10th St. - there are some areas I would be hesitant to go to in the daytime. But don't you see that in any town?

Both of my daughters grew up in the Mid-Del school district. The quality of teachers here has always been excellent.

As far as the Original Square Mile - yes, the houses were built 50+ years ago, but the construction is sturdy. When I had a room addition put on and some remodeling done, my contractor marveled over the beams/rafters. He said new construction doesn't use the same high quality of wood that was used then. At the time Bill Atkinson planned and started Midwest City, the concepts used were noted as "America's Model City". (http://www.midwestcityok.org/history.htm)

As bombermwc pointed out, our roads are good. Although MWC has gotten a bit of a reputation as full of retirees, young families with children are also discovering the advantages. Before this year, the main disadvantage in my eyes was having to drive to OKC for a decent, non-fast-food meal. That, thanks to the SE 29th street development, is changing for the better.

Curt
01-12-2007, 03:03 PM
Midwest City seems ok to me..I'd live there.

animeGhost
01-15-2007, 10:56 PM
Didn't you read?

1. The sun is not in your eyes, and you're the only one commuting from DT to MWC.
2. The sales tax is probably a few points cheaper.
3. The neighborhoods are ethnic.
4. MWC finally has a strip mall.
5. Lower property taxes
6. The schools are at least better than the inner city schools
7. Lovely community events make up the 'scene'
8. And, the commute thing again

Sorry Lauri, I just had to post something facetious on here since it's been so long. Don't hate me for it.

:sofa:

Excuse me... is there a problem with the neighborhoods being "Ethnic"... i grew up on that side of town (Del City) and attended mid-del schools they are great schools... some places on that side of town might me a bit spotty but its a good place to live.

soonergirl
04-03-2007, 09:36 AM
What's considered to be the Original Square Mile?

Lauri101
04-03-2007, 03:09 PM
The OSM is:

SE 29th, North to SE 15th
Air Depot, east to Midwest Blvd.

The portion of that square mile that is where the new SE 29th Street development contained the first homes built in MWC by Mr. Atkinson.

Here's a link to City of MWC, with history page and discussion of OSM.

History of Midwest City (http://www.midwestcityok.org/history.htm)