View Full Version : Designer clothes or generic

Keith
11-02-2004, 06:28 PM
I'm just wondering how many parents purchase name brand clothes for their children? We normally shop Wal-Mart, Target, or thrift stores. Both kids occasionally will get brand name clothing, such as shoes. With prices nowadays, it is getting more expensive to buy designer labels. I can tell you, though...thrift stores are a great place to shop. :Smiley145

mranderson
11-02-2004, 07:41 PM
When I was a kid, it was CR Anthony with Munsingwear shirts and Haggar slacks. My nieces always got clothing made by Gucci and others, but at a store in Capitol Hill called Jack and Jill. They would oder them from Rodeo Drive especially for my mom.

Midtowner
11-02-2004, 07:54 PM
When I was young, I always had whatever clothes I wanted.

It was okay though because I wasn't a real fan of having tons of fashionable clothes. Now that I have to pay for that stuff myself, I'm MUCH choosier about my wardrobe.

pdlteacher
11-02-2004, 07:56 PM
We don't make name brands a big deal in our household. We are trying to keep our kids from being materialistic. I shop sales, thrift stores, and garage sales. We have four children. The kids out grow their clothes so quickly that I never pay full price for an outfit. The kids are usually with me so they learn how to make the budget work. My youngest two are really into garage saling. My concern is that my children look nice without spending a fortune.

mranderson
11-02-2004, 08:11 PM
"My youngest two are really into garage saling. My concern is that my children look nice without spending a fortune."

How do you "sal" (I presume you meant to spell it sail) in a garage?

Patrick
11-03-2004, 09:23 AM
When I have children I probably won't by them name brand clothing...well not designer labels anyway. I myself don't even by designer clothing. I went into Dillards a few days ago and couldn't believe that some of their polo shirts were $75+. I went to JC Penney and found some St. John's Bay shirts for $19.50 on sale that looked very similar to the designer polo shirts. And, I'm willing to bet that no one could tell the difference unless they looked down my back and looked at the tag. I suppose I may by designer label clothing if it's on sale. I bought my little nephew some Tommy clothing awhile back, but it was all marked down 75% off. I would never pay full price for a name brand piece of clothing.

~~*DarlingDiva*~~
11-03-2004, 05:57 PM
Hello all,

I buy my boys these brands of clothes ONLY when they are on clearance.MY youngest does not get designer shoes he is growing 3 inches a year and I refuse to pay 60 bucks for shoes he will blow out in 3 months.As for my 18 year old he seems to have his own style (wierd)and he has a job and buys his own s clothes now thank God.But face it in siciety first impression whether it is kids or adults still says alot and I think everyone likes to look their best.
DarlingDiva:Smiley112

Midtowner
11-04-2004, 01:31 PM
"My youngest two are really into garage saling. My concern is that my children look nice without spending a fortune."

How do you "sal" (I presume you meant to spell it sail) in a garage?

You know, people who spell cliché as cleashea probably shouldn't criticize anyone else's spelling.

mranderson
11-04-2004, 01:35 PM
I was kidding. Funny how some people just can not take a joke.

Ms.Relaxationstation
11-06-2004, 11:06 AM
Up until this last January I homeschooled my children. This of course meant for me, I did not have this high ticket expense right before school starts. When children are not around all the hoop-la of brand name clothing and are not made "fun of" for not wearing "sketchers", "Mudd jeans", or "Polo" brands they never know the difference. In my opinion it is the parents responsibity to teach their children the value of money and to burst the delusion that money grow on trees. My kiddos know that can get more for their money when they buy items from a garage sale (lets just say it this way to avoid spelling errors) then they can buy when they have to go to Wal-Mart to buy things. Ohhhh back to the topic..Shop at Ross and get the best of both worlds. THey have great name brand clothing at half the price. Did I mention I have a great garage sale once a year and one might find some good buys at my place. LOL