View Full Version : Johnnie's Charcoal Broiler introduces gelato shop!

metro
01-08-2007, 01:28 PM
Not sure if anyone caught the article in Jan. 3rd's Journal Record. OKC staple, Johnnie's Charcoal Broiler has introduced a test concept at their2652 W. Britton Rd. location. It is attached to their main building and called Giovanni's. It is a homemade gelato place. If all goes well, they will expand it to all their Johnnie's locations as well as sell the gelato in local grocers. They spent around $32,000 and flew in a Gelato machine and an expert from Italy to make the Gelato.

jbrown84
01-08-2007, 02:11 PM
Nice. I'll have to check it out since we have no other Gelato here.

metro
01-08-2007, 03:25 PM
Where have you been hiding? Under a rock? There are several gelato stores in Edmond. CocoFlow and Saturn Grill (homemade and amazing!) on N. Western carry it, and several other places I've noticed.

jbrown84
01-09-2007, 12:16 AM
my bad

johnnyboyokc
01-09-2007, 02:06 AM
i love taco salad wednesday's at saturn grill, however i still don't know what in the world is gelato?............not losing sleep over it, but have been a lot of places and never heard of it.............must be a european deal!!!!!!!!!

TStheThird
01-09-2007, 08:45 AM
It is Italian ice cream. It is made with milk instead of cream. The fruit gelato has no dairy product, but maintains the creamy consistency of great ice cream. It has good strong flavor and great texture.

metro
01-09-2007, 12:08 PM
And about half the fat and calories... and has better taste.

traemac
01-09-2007, 03:44 PM
i made a post a while back and no one knew of any gelato places here i know there is also a new one at danforth and santa fe in edmond next to buffalo wild wings in a coffee shop

mmmmmmmmmmmm gelato

metro
01-10-2007, 09:35 AM
and of course a week later, the Oklahoman does an article on it.
Made in Oklahoma: Giovanni's Gelato

•Address: 2652 W Britton Road.
•Opened: Dec. 19.

•Employees: Five.

•Owners: Rick Haynes and David Haynes, who also own Johnnie's Charcoal Broiler and Johnnie's Express.

•Key personnel: Janet Estes, director of operations.

•Products: 24 rotating flavors of gelato, Italian ice cream.

•Background: Gelato may be the lighter form of ice cream, but choosing a trio of flavors at the new Giovanni's Gelato is not a decision to be taken lightly.

"Most people who are not familiar with it sample three or four of them, which is fine with us. We are willing to let them take as long as they want,” said Janet Estes, who is both in charge of Giovanni's and director of operations for the seven Johnnie's restaurants in the metro area.

About half of Giovanni's patrons have tried gelato before, usually on travels to Italy, where gelato originated. Others discovered gelato when visiting other cities in the United States, Estes said.

But not many places serve gelato locally. "We were looking specifically to bring something new to customers that we don't have in Oklahoma City. Everybody that tries it loves it.”

About half of their customers already have been back more than once, Estes said.

Giovanni's — which means Johnnie's in Italian — is next to Johnnie's Charcoal Broiler on Britton Road and features both an exterior entrance and one connecting to the hamburger restaurant.

Gelato, known for flavors more intense than ice cream's, is available in two variations. Giovanni's creme-based selections include pistachio, peppermint, chocolate hazelnut and stracciatella, which is Italian chocolate chip.

The fruit-flavored gelatos, also called sorbettos, include sour cherry, mango, strawberry and orange.

Three small scoops are $2.59, medium scoops are $3.49, and large scoops are $4.39.

Giovanni's gelato is a precise mix of ingredients created with a $30,000 machine imported from Italy — which presented a challenge at first. "The manual that came with it was all in Italian. We called, and they sent one in English,” she said.

Giovanni's Gelato debuted in the winter, partly because its operators are hoping the business will grow gradually before the weather heats up and people start to crave ice cream — or gelato.

"We didn't want to open with a long line at the door,” she said. "We are ready now for the summer rush.”

Business Writer Chris Brawley Morgan

diesel
01-10-2007, 01:22 PM
I have not tried these places but IMO, my favorite place is out of Dallas

Paciugo
Paciugo Gelato: Your authentic Italian Ice Cream & Caffè Experience (http://www.paciugo.com)

I have forever wanted to bring them here but I do not know anything about franchising... :)

bandnerd
01-10-2007, 01:44 PM
mmmm strachiatella....it was my favorite gelato in Venice.

You haven't lived if you haven't had gelato. I think I lived on it in Italy. Amazing stuff. Didn't realize it was lower in fat and calories. Now I don't feel so bad about how much of it I ate!

But I had a cold and a sore throat half the time we were there...that justifies it, I think. Yeah, that's it....

Lauri101
01-10-2007, 03:51 PM
Like bandnerd, I ate more gelato in Venice last year than anything else. It was hot during our visit and the gelato was more refreshing than drinking a warm soda!

Can't wait to go try it!

bandnerd
01-10-2007, 08:43 PM
I think the gelato in Venice was even better than the gelato anywhere else we got it in Italy. Ah...the memories. Eating a gelato cone while walking the streets of Venice at night. Heaven.

HOT ROD
01-12-2007, 09:07 PM
Gelato is awesome. We have lots of gelaterias in Vancouver - and we visit often.

You all will love it - i hope more open up, especially in eclectic areas of the city like Paseo, Nichols Hills, and the CBD.

metro
01-13-2007, 09:18 AM
I'm wondering why everyone is acting as if we're new to it, etc. etc. Gelato has been available here for some long time, it's just not been on every corner like Starbucks. Yes, it's becoming more widespread and commonly known apparently based on everyone's reaction from this thread, but it's already been available for while as I mentioned....