View Full Version : Light Rail- OKC

oumoodman85
01-08-2007, 11:44 AM
I was listening to NPR on my lunch break today, and there was a press conference being held concerning the release of a comprehensive study on the feasibility/cost/implementation of a light rail transit system across the metro. I heard 4 phases mentioned, lasting into the 2030's, as well as some radical restructuring of the organization of OKC's current transit authority. Can someone shed some additional light on this particular study and their findings? Or just contribute some knowledge to this topic in general?

I have found nothing online regarding the press conference I heard on NPR. Haven't found any real online content concerning this event at all.

BDP
01-08-2007, 12:38 PM
I heard them talking about Broken Arrow and Tulsa, but nothing about OKC. Interesting.

oumoodman85
01-08-2007, 02:03 PM
I caught that part about Tulsa as well (after lunch). But I swear the first half of the coverage was a live press conference, and they were discussing a "MAPS III" type of funding for this project. Also, they mentioned the different locales that would be associated with each phase, i.e. south OKC- Phase I, and so on. But maybe I am just crazy?

oumoodman85
01-08-2007, 02:07 PM
I just confirmed that I am not crazy, but check out KGOU's website (KGOU - Your NPR Source (http://www.kgou.org)) and the story is mentioned there.

metro
01-08-2007, 03:26 PM
Yes, this was talked about last year in the Fixed Guideway and COPTA studies. Not new info, just revisited.

Spartan
01-09-2007, 12:28 AM
You sound so sure, metro.

There will not be a lot of light rail in south OKC. I'm hoping that Capitol Hill gets thrown a bone but I can't say anything I might be privy to fills this requirement of mine.

johnnyboyokc
01-09-2007, 01:54 AM
spartan why would we want light rail in cap hill it has'nt been the same since the sixties edmond and far south would benefit okc even more

BDP
01-09-2007, 09:26 AM
Light rail in capitol hill may help some in this city rediscover it and push it over the top. Demographically it seems to make sense as well: a fairly dense and busy community of middle to lower wage workers, along with several locally owned and operated business that would benefit greatly from increased traffic and usual improvements in development and property value that comes with rail and public transit. It almost makes more sense than anywhere else in the city, given its needs and density. I'd guess that pedestrian traffic could feed it better than anywhere else. However, it will be some time before it sees light rail, I'm afraid.

The NPR spot was from a December 6th meeting at the Petroleum club. An 18 month study was conducted and this speech came 9 months after the completion of that study.

The study suggested light rail for downtown and the med center (the "right now" phase). Don't hold me to these numbers, because I only listened to it once. But they thought it would take about $83 million to do and would be eligible for federal funding with the city paying for half. It suggested an X commuter rail system to connect Norman, Edmond, Yukon, and MWC to the CBD. It would cost around $300 million (I'm rounding up, but we should probably do that anyway :) ) and use a lot of existing railways. The speaker said that it could be done relatively easily and quickly. They recommend a BRT (Bus rapid transit system) to serve the NW Expressway corridor).

The commuter system would come in four phases beginning with the south and implemented over about 25-30 years. That's if we started today, which we clearly haven't started.

They mentioned that a $.0025 county sales tax could pay for implementation and operation, along with federal funding. They feel the need for a downtown light rail system is justified today and has the most public support. Personally, I think that we could do that easily and if it is successful, the rest of the Oklahoma Central Transit system would gain support.

That's a real rough synopsis, but it gives you an idea of what's on the table and what has been presented to city leaders. More or less, the ball is in their court now and if we don't have any public transit improvements in place by 2015, we can look back to this study, this time, and these leaders and ask them 'why not'? Now, if voters don't want it, so be it, but someone will have to run with this now for it to get done, imo.

He started the speech with some stats and the most interesting one, imo, was that cities with public transit built around their CBDs have less than half the vacancy rates in those districts than do cities without.

metro
01-09-2007, 12:17 PM
You sound so sure, metro.

There will not be a lot of light rail in south OKC. I'm hoping that Capitol Hill gets thrown a bone but I can't say anything I might be privy to fills this requirement of mine.

Let me clarify a few things mr. spartan (formerly SoonerRiceGrad). First of all, I never said anything about rail in South OKC or mentioned Capitol Hill. Secondly, I attended several of these planning committee meetings when they were doing this Fixed Guideway Study and COPTA studies. They were open to the public as well (did you attend by chance??). Secondly this is a "concept" nothing set in stone. Over the 25 year plan (2030) it is proposed that their will be phases, eventually stretching from Guthrie to Norman, Shawnee to El Reno. In these phases certain parts of "southside" will be covered. I can't guarantee that "Capitol Hill" will have a route, or that we'll have light rail at all. If I could predict the future, I'd have put some money on the OU-Boise state game and every other bowl game, make me millions of dollars on it, and then donate it and build our light rail now!!

Kerry
01-09-2007, 08:57 PM
I think this is what oumoodman84 is looking for.

OKFGS.org (http://www.okfgs.org/)

johnnyboyokc
01-14-2007, 11:42 PM
everyone here is off track.......light rail might happen but maps 3 will take on the river and the development of outdoor shopping..........simon

jbrown84
01-15-2007, 08:15 AM
Simon doesn't need any help.

johnnyboyokc
01-16-2007, 01:16 AM
no they dont but all corps find help ie.. bass pro and i am glad there here

metro
01-16-2007, 12:51 PM
johnnyboy, your posts are very odd and hard to understand your logic behind them

jbrown84
01-16-2007, 09:05 PM
Yeah I didn't really get that last one either.