View Full Version : NHL to Tulsa

Kerry
01-07-2007, 07:53 PM
I was looking around on the internet for Penguins relocation information and came across this artice on ESPN.COM
----------------------------------------------------
Updated: Jan. 6, 2007, 7:41 PM ET
Oklahoma City minor league hockey owners eye PensAssociated Press

OKLAHOMA CITY -- An Oklahoma City business group says it's interested in landing an NHL franchise and expects a formal invitation to be extended next week for the Pittsburgh Penguins to visit the city's Ford Center arena.

The Penguins and owner Mario Lemieux have been seeking a new arena in Pittsburgh and already have an offer to move to Kansas City.

"We've always had an interest in the NHL or anything that contributes to Oklahoma City or the Oklahoma environment," Bob Funk, the founder and CEO of Express Services Inc. and the owner of the Oklahoma City Blazers hockey team, told The Oklahoman. "I think the NHL has a good future."

Funk and Brad Lund, CEO of Funk's Express Sports, met with Oklahoma City leaders Thursday and tabled for the weekend a decision to invite the Penguins, the newspaper reported.

"It's Pittsburgh's team to lose, and Kansas City is well ahead of us," Lund acknowledged.

Funk said he would not go forward without consultation from Oklahoma City leaders, who have sought to bring an NBA franchise to town on a permanent basis. Oklahoma City currently hosts the NBA's Hornets, who are scheduled to return to New Orleans after this season.

"Like we've talked about before, the first team in certainly would have the advantage," Funk said. "That ended up being the NBA. If the NBA is not going to be here, then I would think there would be corporate support for hockey."

Funk also speculated that an NHL team could land in Tulsa, if an NBA team is in Oklahoma City. Tulsa is building a new downtown arena scheduled to open in 2008.
"I'll talk to Tulsa," Funk said. "That's always a possibility, too. We have very successful [Central Hockey League] operations in Tulsa. Our operations over there are doing very well and they have been for a long time."

Despite the possible move, Penguins players and coaches know their focus must remain on the ice.

"We're curious at what's going on, but it doesn't effect us at all," coach Michel Therrien said. "We are focusing on what we have to do, but we read stuff in the papers like everyone else does. But focus isn't on that. We've got confidence and a lot of faith in the people who manage our team, and they all have our support."

Given the highly-transient nature of hockey rosters, players are aware they might have to uproot their lives and families to move to another town.

The vast majority of the team is foreigners with no ties no any U.S. city -- let alone Pittsburgh.

Ryan Malone is the exception.

Born just south of the city, the 27-year-old played high school hockey in Pittsburgh. His father, Greg, is a former Penguins player and head scout.

"I tell all the guys here, hopefully at the end of year we are in the playoffs, and then you can tell this town is quite a hockey town," Malone said.

"Obviously, myself, I'd rather the team stay. But Mario has been very patient, so he's exploring other options," Malone said. "He'll probably take the best deal on the table, so you've just got to put it in the back of your mind and go out there and play hockey."

Pittsburgh is known as a football town, but the Penguins have played to almost 94 percent of capacity this season. The franchise won two Stanley Cups in 1991-92.

Not too many players are worried about a possible relocation, defenseman Ryan Whitney said.

"I think everybody thinks this is a great place to play," he said. "The crowd is unbelievable. If we get a new building, I know myself and other people want to be here a long time. It's a great place to play, a great city, a great sports town. We all hope we end up staying here."

Copyright 2007 by The Associated Press

Kerry
01-07-2007, 07:57 PM
This is how I see it. Funk will talk to the Sonic people and see if they are really interested in bring them to OKC. If after that meeting, Funk still tries to bring the Penguins here then we know the Sonics are iffy on relocation. If Funk move on an effort to take the team to Tulsa then the Sonics will be here in 2 years.

HOT ROD
01-07-2007, 09:55 PM
That would be weird tho, if Tulsa got the NHL

and OKC was left with the Blazers AAA.

I say, OKC step up to the plate and get the NBA Sonics/Storm AND NHL!!!

Maybe some of the NHL and WNBA Storm games could be played in Tulsa - and Tulsa would be the obvious D-league and Hockey farm for OKC's teams.

But OKC needs to be the major league market!

metro
01-07-2007, 10:02 PM
Either way I think it's funny that the title of this thread is NHL to Tulsa when the article and the NHL has officially stated OKC as a potential market and only Bob Funk speculated he could move an NHL team to Tulsa. I don't see it happening, Kansas City clearly has the advantage then maybe OKC. If KC lands the NHL, the will be out of NBA competition and we will definitely land the next NBA team.

HOT ROD
01-07-2007, 10:21 PM
We are ahead of Kansas City for the NBA and KC is ahead of us for the NHL.

I agree, KC will get the Penguins but it is nice to see that OKC is a major league market worth considering. Heck, we even look after our little sister - Tulsa.

wish they'd ever look after OKC or at least say something nice.

SoonerDave
01-07-2007, 10:35 PM
I think OKC's leaders have to tread very carefully on this, because OKC could support one pro franchise, but I think two is a stretch. I surely hope that we throw the bulk of our efforts behind the NBA, and not so much the NHL. Despite the Blazers' success, I'm not convinced that would translate into the same success at the full NHL level.

I'm going to keep my fingers crossed that the NBA is, somehow, going to happen.

-SoonerDave

HOT ROD
01-07-2007, 10:53 PM
Definitely at this point, NBA is number one for us. I dont think anyone would question this.

The ONLY league who could come close to competing with the NBA in Oklahoma City would be if the NFL expanded - giving LA a franchise and another city or two. In this case, I would think and hope that the state would go after NFL first then NBA since NFL is such a top league.

Of the leagues, I would rank them as follows:

1) NFL
2) MLB
2) NBA
4) NHL
5) MLS
6) AFL

So given the NFL is not expanding and OU would probably have a fit if we tried to host the team there (and that we dont have an NFL stadium yet) - NBA is our best choice.

But I think we could also support NHL - ESPECIALLY if we do it like this:

1) OKC's NBA team has exclusivity at the Ford Center, meaning it has first slot with overriding rights to game nights.

2) OKC's NHL team would have second choice at Ford, whenever the NBA is playing - the team could have home games at the Cox, Fairgrounds, or Tulsa.

The NBA team could also play preseason games at Tulsa, Wichita/Topeka, Little Rock, Albuquerque, Amarillo, and "dare I say" Ft. Worth - all close regional cities without teams where we could establish a fan base. Ditto with the NHL team and the WNBA,

and then you have a fan base of some 5M people to support the teams. I think it could be done and should be a requirement of any and all major league teams that land here - that they would do preseason (maybe even a season home game) in a regional city or two. I think by sharing our team a little bit, other cities will support us - which will not only ensure the success of the team and the city but also ensure success of our supporting more than one team.

So, to review - I think NBA is number one unless the NFL has a change of heart. Even then, I would hope the NBA makes it here first (permanently) irregardless. I think we could support another team provided we market to the region as well - be it NHL, AFL, or MLS. I think MLB is out - as we are not a market (nor do I think we want to be). MLS would require a stadium, so I think we are limited to NBA, NHL, and AFL right now.

If done right and creatively - we could support all three.

PUGalicious
01-08-2007, 05:39 AM
Why would we want the NBA team to play a preseason game in Fort Worth since they have a very close neighbor with its own NBA team?

As much as I love the NHL, I don't think it will survive here like an NBA franchise or with an NBA franchise. No NHL team will want to play in Cox or at the Fairgrounds. They are looking for a first-class facility, which is why the Penguins are leaving Pittsburgh.

mranderson
01-08-2007, 09:54 AM
Why would we want the NBA team to play a preseason game in Fort Worth since they have a very close neighbor with its own NBA team?

As much as I love the NHL, I don't think it will survive here like an NBA franchise or with an NBA franchise. No NHL team will want to play in Cox or at the Fairgrounds. They are looking for a first-class facility, which is why the Penguins are leaving Pittsburgh.

Actually, any team could play games in Fort Worst. The Mavericks could play some there and if the Oklahoma City Sonics happen to be the opposing team, so be it.

As far as the NHL here? I am openminded. If we get them, and still get the Sonics, then who knows. It is the same as the nay sayers saying NO major league team could make it here... And we know who got the last laugh on that one.:bow:

BDP
01-08-2007, 09:58 AM
And we know who got the last laugh on that one.

Katrina?

mranderson
01-08-2007, 12:18 PM
Katrina?

Try again.

BDP
01-08-2007, 12:34 PM
Well, if not for Katrina, no team would have considered OKC. Unfortunately, we'd been turned down multiple times until that event forced them here. Hey, it's nice that OKC is now a contender to get a team in the future, but without Katrina we'd still be years away from real consideration, given the competition. I don't want to take anything away from the deal makers who made it happen, but everyone knows that without Katrina, OKC is not considered a top major league site. It'd actually be kind of gross to claim otherwise. Thankfully, most of those who were involved have been gracious enough to acknowledge the circumstances.

The reality is: no Katrina, then no major league sports for OKC and, after this year, there still may not be any. So, anyone who claims it would have happened without it is blowing smoke or struggling with reality.

Dave Cook
01-08-2007, 12:46 PM
The entire concept of having the National Hockey League in Oklahoma is completely obsurd.

Simply put, NHL hockey in either Oklahoma City or Tulsa will not work. If anything, it would come for a few years, suffer in attendance, and end up hurting both cities in the long run.

ANd this isn't the first time buy any means that we have heard this 'NHL to Oklahoma City' crap.

Remember the Calgary Flames ploy to sale more season tickets by threatening to move to Oklahoma City?

Remember the NHL expansion silliness and claiming we came in just behind Columbus? Yeah, right.

I used to be good friends with the Norick's during the time he was trying to lure the Winnipeg Jets to Oklahoma. He swore he could pull it off. Bless his heart, he tried. But who honestly thought they would choose Indian Territory over Phoenix?

Speaking of Winnipeg, the Penguins need to be north of the border. After building their new arena....I can't see why they aren't still in the running for this team.

bombermwc
01-09-2007, 10:42 AM
NHL in Oklahoma just isn't smart. And the last time the NHL considered OKC, they didn't think the Ford Center was big enough for them...so tell me how the BOK center would be any better since its smaller. We're all the way down here in Oklahoma....you need a much bigger city this far south to support NHL because people don't grow up playing Hockey here like they do up north...meaning people aren't as interested in it. A smaller city up north can handle it because everyone is so enthused, but here, we're lucky to ever get close to being full for a Blazer's game....and I don't think that just beacuse it's NHL, people will all of a sudden become hockey fans like they did for NBA. We all grow up playing some basketball so we're more into it.

Dave Cook
01-09-2007, 10:59 AM
but here, we're lucky to ever get close to being full for a Blazer's game....

While I agree with just about everything you said, I'm not sure I would rip Oklahoma City just yet on attendance. They haven't sold out the Ford but still have impressive crowds for a AA hockey organization with an average of 8,177 this year.

Throughout the 90's, they consistantly had 10,000 +....reason for the relocation talk in the first place. I would imagine the attendance would greatly improve if you had the Montreal Canadiens and New York Rangers coming to town rather than the Odessa Jackalopes.

jbrown84
01-09-2007, 11:04 AM
I haven't been to a Blazers game in a long time, and I don't think I'd be much more likely to go if it were NHL.

Dave Cook
01-09-2007, 11:06 AM
To each his own.

I feel the same way about Sewener football.....the greatest cultural event in Indian Territory.

okcpulse
01-09-2007, 11:55 AM
And the last time the NHL considered OKC, they didn't think the Ford Center was big enough for them

The NHL scouted Oklahoma City in 1996 and 1997 before the Ford Center was even designed. It was the size of Oklahoma City's TV market that blew our chance. But ten years ago, a huge cloud of doubt always hung over Oklahoma City when it came to major league sports... period. The weather has since changed.

metro
01-09-2007, 12:10 PM
I agree okcpulse. I'm going to laugh in a few years when we land the NHL and all the naysayers of NHL (probably the same ones of NBA) will be awestruck.

BDP
01-09-2007, 12:49 PM
I feel the same way about Sewener football

You don't go to college footbal games? Not liking a team is different than not liking a sport. I don't think there are anti-Penguins fans in Oklahoma like there are anti-OU fans. Some just aren't interested in hockey. 3 years without major league sprots may change that.

I haven't been to a Blazers game in a long time, and I don't think I'd be much more likely to go if it were NHL.

Me neither, but that is mainly because since I first went to a CHL game I have been to an NHL. NHL is different. Much faster, more athletic, and more exciting. I am by no means a hockey fan and I will not buy season tickets for an NHL team, whereas I would for an NBA team, but the CHL and the NHL shouldn't even be mentioned in the same sentence, unless it's about how different they are.

Kerry
01-09-2007, 04:48 PM
So much to respond to - so little time.

If someone thinks Katrina was the only reason the Hornets came here then let me say this - 9/11 is the only reason the Hornets went to NO in the first place. George Shinn was supposed to visit OKC on the afternoon of 9/11 after touring NO. Since the airlines were grounded he couldn't make the trip to OKC and settled on NO.

Tulsa can't support the NBA - funny I'll bet you guys said the same about OKC and the NBA.

KC is the lead for NHL - huh? Expressing interest first does not put you in the lead. OKC has three things KC does not have. A successful minor league team, no Chiefs, no Royals. For some reason many people equate cost with quality. ESPn said the arena in KC cost $230 million. So what, they financed it. Of course it is going to cost more. OKC paid cash. this makes it cheaper with debt to service. This leads to lower ticket prices and higher player salaries.

metro
01-09-2007, 06:11 PM
Kerry, you make some good points but I have to agree with the person who said KC is in the front running for the NHL, they want it and are agressively seeking it and my money would be on that they will get the Penguins if they move. The NBA has said we are on the top of the list for expansion or relocation. The NHL only mentioned we are one of 5 contenders, several of which experts and NHL officials have said we're not the frontrunner. We're not as actively seeking them as we are the NBA, the NBA is the league we want FIRST, do we want NHL down the road if it is possibly feasible to support it? Absolutely. But we're taking a more passive approach with the NHL right now.

Kerry
01-09-2007, 07:02 PM
Don't get me wrong METRO - my first choice would be NBA. I would actually prefer MLS over NHL but I think the NHL in Tulsa would be a viable possibility. Tulsa has a metro approaching 1,000,000. Of course, if Funk is succesful in bringing the NHL to Tulsa you can say good-bye to the Blazers. This would be good for the NHL and the NBA.

Pete
01-09-2007, 08:58 PM
Funk backs off of interest in Penguins

By Bob Hersom
Staff Writer

Express Sports' bid to buy the NHL's Pittsburgh Penguins has at the least been put on a back burner, and probably off the stove.

Express personnel are no longer expecting Penguins officials to visit Oklahoma City. A visit had been hoped for this week.

"Due to the Hornets' success, the city is in a situation where they may land a permanent NBA franchise in the next one to three years," said Brad Lund, CEO of Express Sports. "So, we as an ownership group are not able to proceed in a dollars and cents manner, such as lease terms and revenue streams."

The Penguins, who are seeking new ownership and a new arena in Pittsburgh, are also considering an offer from Kansas City that includes free rent on that city's arena, scheduled to open this fall.

"The Penguins have made it clear that they're on a 30 to 60 day timetable," Lund said, "and the city isn't in a situation where we can compete aggressively the way the state of Pennsylvania is in keeping the Penguins and the way Kansas City is in trying to lure an NHL tenant for the fall.

"But is the story dead? No. We're going to continue lines of communication open on a daily basis. Things may change."

Kerry
01-09-2007, 09:01 PM
There you have it - Sonics to OKC in 2008.

Patrick
01-09-2007, 10:18 PM
As I've already said, Bennett has set the bar so high for Seattle, there's no way that team will be staying in Seattle. Sonics in OKC in 2008.

jbrown84
01-10-2007, 09:30 AM
There is so much "code" in that article. I think we definitely have our answer.

bombermwc
01-10-2007, 10:23 AM
The NHL scouted Oklahoma City in 1996 and 1997 before the Ford Center was even designed. It was the size of Oklahoma City's TV market that blew our chance. But ten years ago, a huge cloud of doubt always hung over Oklahoma City when it came to major league sports... period. The weather has since changed.

True, but they looked at the design plans for the Ford Center beacuse they were already done. They already knew the size of the facility, capacity, etc....even before it was built.

SoonerDave
01-10-2007, 10:48 AM
I agree with jbrown84 on the "code" in the article about the Penguins. The other day, Funk was really positive about the Penguins, but qualified it by saying he'd be "aware of OKC's interest in the NBA" (or words to that effect). Two days later, he's substantially backed off that previous level of interest.

Given that the Penguins were looking for some sort of commitment within the next 60-90 days, and we all know there's no way to know how the Seattle issue will resolve itself in that time frame, there was no way we could compete constructively with anyone who *could* commit.

As far as the Sonics go, I'm not convinced that one of those suburbs won't pony up the dough for a new facility. Unlikely? Absolutely. If they do, however, that means no NBA here indefinitely - unless Shinn and the Hornets go back to NO and fail in two years (if it takes that long, which I seriously doubt, but Stern may force Shinn to stay there at least two years as a demonstration of good faith no matter how much $$ he loses).

I think the NHL in OKC is a losing proposition, so not getting the Penguins is no big deal. The NHL is on shaky-at-best ground from overexpansion, and it would be a huge blow to OKC if we got a franchise, shut down the Blazers, then lost the franchise due to incumbent insolvency we had no realistic chance of overcoming in the first place, even if we sold out the place nightly.

-SoonerDave

Oil Capital
01-10-2007, 11:22 AM
NHL in Oklahoma just isn't smart. And the last time the NHL considered OKC, they didn't think the Ford Center was big enough for them...

What about the Ford Center was not big enough for the NHL? That seems rather unlikely.

Seating for hockey:

Ford Center: 18,036
AA Center (Dallas): 18,500
Xcel Energy Center (MSP):18,064
Sprint Center (KC): 18,500 for basketball, presumably less for NHL.

mranderson
01-11-2007, 03:47 AM
What about the Ford Center was not big enough for the NHL? That seems rather unlikely.

Seating for hockey:

Ford Center: 18,036
AA Center (Dallas): 18,500
Xcel Energy Center (MSP):18,064
Sprint Center (KC): 18,500 for basketball, presumably less for NHL.

In addition. When the arena was being designed and built, nearly every bit of the publicity on it clearly said it was being designed to NBA AND NHL standards.

bombermwc
01-11-2007, 03:12 PM
Well all I can say is, that's what they said. Whether or not I believe it or think its a crock, that's what they said. I think more likely that it was just a factor of bs to add to why they didn't want to come here though.

I happen to think its a much better facility than what many of the larger cities have because their are so old and outdated. Plus, it's true that it's designed to be a professional venue. But I still don't think NHL would be a good fit here.

HOT ROD
01-12-2007, 09:00 PM

Brad, if you read and comprehended my writing, you would see that I said exhibition games to regional cities to build fan support for OKC's permanent team(s). This would make sure we pack the house without straining our 1.3M local residents.

Im glad to hear Express backed off of the Penguin's. We'll get our chance to be a twin league city!!! But first, lets put all of our support behind the NBA - a much more visible, prominent league than the NHL at the moment.

Im from Seattle, and I can tell you all that this business Bennet is doing is driving us crazy. I know he is trying to save face - he has to keep the team here until a buyout can be negotiated between the NBA and the City of Seattle, so he keeps the "karat" afloat with spending dollars on advertising - "YOUR SONICS, YOUR SEASON" crap and this arena search biz.

Well, let me inform you all - there is NO way this is going to happen. The best chance of it happening was in Seattle. While land may be available in Renton and another unmentioned city (probably Tacoma or Kent WA), the new arena would require substantial public investment - and in THIS STATE, dream on. We already got burned by the Mariners and Seahawks, building both of them new stadiums. And both of those teams are MUCH better than the SONICS.

There's NO WAY we would let our legislators pay for such an unwanted expenditure that aint even in our principle city. No rich people over on the Eastside will fund it either - or they would have teamed up with Schults (Starbucks CEO and past Sonics owner) to make it happen. No way they would team up with an outsider - regardless of how his "heart" or good face looks.

I say to all OKCans, get ready to support the Sonics - but you can do so now by hoping they continue to have a losing team. This will only make their exit out of Key Arena a much easier/cheaper option for Bennet.

Honestly, I predict the legislature will deny funding or if they grant it - we will vote it down on referendum this year. Look for Bennet to go back to the board of NBA Governers asking for a relocation of the Sonics to Oklahoma City and a subsequent buyout of the Key Arena lease. Hopefully, with the Sonics a losing team - the terms of the buyout can be much cheaper and the Sonics will get first round draft pics.

Continue the Renaissance of Oklahoma City!!! :congrats:

bombermwc
01-13-2007, 01:19 PM
I just wish that we could get a team that doesn't suck. The Hornets are just as craptacular as last season, losing game after game. It's pathetic...and they wonder why people aren't as interested. Who wants to be a part of a crappy team. And if the Sonics are doing just as bad, do we wants a team that's gonna lose all the time....I'm not sure that's a good image to have. I'd almost rather wait for another team than get a bad one. A good record helps much better than a crappy losing one. Even to just get IN playoffs would make me happy, but jeez, we can't seem to do that either.

traxx
01-13-2007, 01:30 PM
I just wish that we could get a team that doesn't suck. The Hornets are just as craptacular as last season, losing game after game. It's pathetic...and they wonder why people aren't as interested. Who wants to be a part of a crappy team. And if the Sonics are doing just as bad, do we wants a team that's gonna lose all the time....I'm not sure that's a good image to have. I'd almost rather wait for another team than get a bad one. A good record helps much better than a crappy losing one. Even to just get IN playoffs would make me happy, but jeez, we can't seem to do that either.

The problem with the Hornets is that last season was a growing season and this season they were doing pretty good until the injury to CP3. Injuries have really hurt the Hornets.

Plus, we're not gonna get a good team to move here. Why would the Spurs or the Mavs move when they get plenty of support and love in their current cities.

It all depends on ownership. And I believe that if Bennett and his group bring the Sonics to town that they'll make the proper investments and moves to make the team a contender. Remember what happened to the Mavs? They had never been a contender but when Cuban bought them, winning was important to him and he made the moves to get them to where they are right now and their division is now probably the toughest in the NBA. The Mavs used to be a laughing stock and an afterthought for so many years.

Just give it time.

ETL
01-13-2007, 01:47 PM

I think that the Sonics moving to OKC will turn the team around!

metro
01-13-2007, 02:15 PM

Ah, ignorance is bliss huh? You remind me of the guy at the Hornets game last night sitting behind me (perhaps you were). He was blatantly rooting for the other team because he thought it was cool and kept telling everyone around him how cool it was to root for the other team when the Hornets play. As with any team/league, teams have their ups and downs. As you should know, last season was a much better season than the Hornets were playing in NOLA and we were one of the top in the league for attendance and ranked top or near top for fan base and had the loudest arena. As someone said, this year we've got several of our stars out hurt, not saying that is an excuse but it doesn't help.

As someone mentioned, it's about ownership. If you got a good owner like Cuban or Bennett willing to pony up the money to pay the big stars, then the place will be packed and the team will have a better record. :fighting4 Were you one of the people who said we couldn't support a team before the Hornets came?