View Full Version : Crime

Mandy
01-05-2007, 02:52 PM
How safe to you feel in your neighborhood? Or where you work? My friend experienced a bit of a scare the other day. His office is still under construction but since we already moved up here, he's there working while they're finishing. The construction crew isn't supposed to leave w/o telling him so that he can lock the doors behind them. They did. A guy went in and asked to use the phone because his car was stolen, and my friend let him. My friend had to go run some errands so he told the guy he had to leave because he couldn't leave him there alone. The guy said he was staying at a hotel on the way and asked for a ride...

SHH! I know how stupid it was to give him a ride! My friend knows too. He grew up in New Orleans and was held up at gun point/bat point/knife point several times, so he knows how tough a city can be, but we're used to living in a friendly, safe area for the past 8 years.

So, to make a loooong story short, the guy stole my friend's GPS unit when he got out to get gas, but he didn't leave the car (he wrapped it in his jacket). My friend noticed, called 911 while driving, the guy tried to run, a fight broke out. My friend wasn't hurt and the guy didn't get off with anything.

No more rides for strangers!! I feel pretty safe where I live, but we're getting an alarm installed anyway. The ADT guy said we live in their lowest risk zone and don't really need to get the intrusion service. Yeah, right. I would put a moat around us if I could. I was just wondering if anything scary has ever happened to you living in the city. I used to live near Dallas, but not IN Dallas. Even though I went there all the time, I never had any bad experiences there. Of course, I never gave strangers rides, either...

The cop said that there's no vagrancy law here and not to be helpful to them.

Easy180
01-05-2007, 03:29 PM
Glad the friend is ok and hopefully leason learned...My rule is no rides for anyone younger than 80 :kicking:

windowphobe
01-05-2007, 05:25 PM
Things are pretty quiet in my neighborhood, though there have been a few incidents over the years, usually connected to the apartments at one end of the area.

Where I work? There are bullet holes in the door.

jbrown84
01-06-2007, 05:09 PM
My mom was robbed at gunpoint at an ATM at 23rd and May about 12 years ago. It's now a Midfirst and the ATM is a drive-up, but back then you had to park around the corner and walk up. He got away with $500.

Karried
01-06-2007, 06:21 PM
That's horrifying... something you don't ever really forget I imagine. Luckily, he took the money and ran and didn't hurt her .. I don't know how some people sleep at night.. I feel guilty if I find money laying on the ground and don't turn it in..

I'm so paranoid .. I lock the car door when hubby runs in to 7-11 and I'm sitting in the car for 5 seconds.. no car jacking for me!

I feel really safe where I live.. the alarm system helps and the pepper spray, the barking dog, the AK-47, and the baseball bat by the bed too ..lol

MadMonk
01-06-2007, 09:41 PM
Where I work? There are bullet holes in the door.
Suddenly your forum name seems to make so much more sense to me. I'd stay away from windows too if my doors had bullet holes in them. :D

Jack Wonder
01-09-2007, 12:03 PM
That's horrifying... something you don't ever really forget I imagine. Luckily, he took the money and ran and didn't hurt her .. I don't know how some people sleep at night.. I feel guilty if I find money laying on the ground and don't turn it in..

I'm so paranoid .. I lock the car door when hubby runs in to 7-11 and I'm sitting in the car for 5 seconds.. no car jacking for me!

I feel really safe where I live.. the alarm system helps and the pepper spray, the barking dog, the AK-47, and the baseball bat by the bed too ..lol

That's not being paranoid at all. Any 7-11 location deep in OKC or Norman runs the risk of robbery at any moment!

There are a series of appt's behind my workplace and we have to constantly lock our doors. Several stragglers have wandered in off the streets in the past, looking for a handout or more.

Mandy
01-13-2007, 12:23 PM
JBrown, I'm so glad your mother is alright! I bet she was so scared!!

jbrown84
01-13-2007, 08:46 PM
Yes my 2 sisters and I were waiting in the car around the corner wondering what was taking so long and she came back to the car crying. It was a long time ago though. She's recovered. :D

Dave Cook
01-14-2007, 07:31 PM
Interesting topic.

There certainly seems to be a crime problem here but not anymore per say than any other major city in the midwest.

I feel terrible about the recent death of Mike Lee at the Korean Market on SE 44th. Such a nice man....he and his daughters always made a point to greet people and make everyone feel at home there.

Such a pathetic waste of life...for nothing.