View Full Version : Best Asian (Non-Japanese) Restaraunt?

dismayed
01-04-2007, 08:27 PM
So we've talked about Japanese restaurants... but what about Asian restaurants in general. What's your favorite? Here are some of mine:

Grand House Chinese (OKC) - Go on the weekend and try the Dim Sum. No buffet.

Cafe de Taipei (Edmond) - They serve bubble tea! Also, the squid fried rice is awesome. No buffet.

Golden Palace (OKC and MWC) - Very large buffet. Also, they have a Vietnamese soup line that you can go through and make your own soup, as well as several fresh Vietnamese delicacies. Finally, they have a Mongolian BBQ line (e.g. you pick out all the raw vegetables and meats you want, bring them up to the front, and they cook it on the spot for you to your spiciness specifications). Excellent.

Hong Thai (MWC) - Extremely hot, good Thai food. Very reasonable price. No buffet.

Pho Hoa (OKC) - Vietnamese noodle soups. Sooo gooood.

It was my favorite, and it is no longer in business...

China Court (OKC on Memorial). I'm guessing PF Chang's ran them out of business. It's a shame, the food was great and at one time I went there so much I actually got to know the hostess (mom of many of those working there). A very sweet lady. In fact if anyone has info on what happened I'd love to know.

MadMonk
01-05-2007, 08:01 AM
I give Golden Palace's Mongolian BBQ a big thumbs up too. I also like Kim Wah over on Britton for their Vermicelli Noodles. Mmmmm...

floater
01-05-2007, 09:04 AM
Seconds on Grand House and Golden Palace. I'll also give a shout out to Dot Wo for Chinese (at least the south location) and Pho 89.

metro
01-05-2007, 12:53 PM
I like China Chef in the Underground in downtown OKC. It's quality meat and no mystery meat. That's a big plus IMO.

Easy180
01-05-2007, 01:03 PM
metro...hey I finally agree with you on something!!!

China Chef is awesome...Ate there weekly when I worked in the Chase Tower...Great egg rolls as well

Martin
01-05-2007, 01:26 PM
we used to go to golden palace on around 50th & shartel all the time for their mongolian barbecue... i never liked their buffet much, but the mongolian barbecue used to be pretty good. they changed cooks, though and he makes more of (what we call) a 'mongolian soup' than a stir fry... i don't think the guy speaks a lick of english, 'cause no matter what we'd tell him to do, he does it the same way... water the whole thing down with tons of chicken broth. so... we don't go much anymore. -M

sweetmercyfan
01-05-2007, 04:32 PM
Ledo, just north of 23rd Street, off of Classen. Look for the Braums Milk can and you will know you are close.

BFizzy
01-05-2007, 06:22 PM
Pho Saigon and Thai House.

TomGirl
01-06-2007, 03:10 PM
The little Thai place (don't know the name) between Britton & Hefner on May, very good food the Tofu Pad Thai is very good. Lai Thai has no mystery meat, they're in Bethany on 23rd, no buffet

dismayed
01-06-2007, 10:07 PM
I had forgotten about some of the places you guys listed. I guess we all know where to find good chinese food. :)

citizenkane
01-08-2007, 08:52 PM
Tay Ho, Grand House, Lang's Bakery.

Jack Wonder
01-09-2007, 11:52 AM
I disagree with dismayed over the China Court that used to be next to Red Lobster on Memorial.

I took my girlfriend to eat there once. We were really excited to try it out, but despite the fun atmosphere decor-wise, the place was EMPTY.

Also, the food was okay, but WAY overpriced in comparison to portions I've had at better-tasting restaurants.

I wasn't surprised when it finally closed. Heck, the 'Chinese Buffet' inside Quail Springs Mall is better...and always a treat I might add!

daromans
05-08-2008, 04:26 PM
PHO Thai Nyugan
3221 N Classen Blvd
Oklahoma City, OK 73118
(405) 525-7373

SOOOOOO good!! everything is so good!! i love the seafood crispy noodles!!!

John
05-08-2008, 05:15 PM
China Coast was what was originally in the China Court/Baker St spot. It was run by Darden (and I believe Disney had a hand in there, also). Great while it lasted.

Mr. Pho is one of my favorite asian places in the city.

Harvey Hudson
05-09-2008, 09:48 AM
Sala Thai across from OCU is great!

Lido by the milk can is also very good.....

Turanacus
05-13-2008, 08:52 AM
Asian Zing @ BW3

eataroundokc.com
05-26-2008, 08:56 AM
I agree on Pho Hoa -- so very good. Also on Sala Thai and I also like Thai Kitchen a lot of Thai food. Grand House is good, especially for Dim Sum, though a little pricier than the other options.

redcup
05-26-2008, 02:22 PM
Dot Wo about NW 30/Portland is always a good choice. A friend just went there and confirmed it is still good.

There is one at NW 27/Classen called the Golden Phoenix (think that is right) around the corner from the Chinese Grocery store. It is very good. Pretty authentic and I have never been dissappointed.

For a great vietnamese sandwich try getting one at the Milk Bottle near NW 24/Classen. Very cheap and very good. My son lived on them while in school and on a tight budget.

There is a food area in Cao Nguyen SuperMarket at NW 27/Western. It is pretty good and also has sushi. I have friends that swear by it and it is very

reasonable.:sofa:

redcup
05-26-2008, 02:24 PM
I agree on Pho Hoa -- so very good. Also on Sala Thai and I also like Thai Kitchen a lot of Thai food. Grand House is good, especially for Dim Sum, though a little pricier than the other options.

I know that some may not like it, but try the Egg Pho Yung (probably spelled badly!) at Grand House is always good and very fresh. It is large enough to split!

metro
05-27-2008, 07:49 AM
For a great vietnamese sandwich try getting one at the Milk Bottle near NW 24/Classen. Very cheap and very good. My son lived on them while in school and on a tight budget.

The "milk bottle" place is called Saigon Baguette. It's Vietnamese sandwiches. They get their bread fresh from La Baguette. Also bring cash, it's cash only.

redcup
05-27-2008, 04:19 PM
Thanks, Metro...I could not for the life of me remember
the name of the sandwich shop!

:sofa:

kk1104
06-01-2008, 11:37 PM
dismayed- Hong Thai closed down! It's a shame because I really enjoyed that place.

My recommendation is Thai Garden on south western, next to El Chico and across from Sears. VERY good, authentic thai food. The owner is very social and personal to all her customers. The food, I can honestly say, is the spiciest thai i've eaten in the metro!

flintysooner
06-02-2008, 05:04 PM
I ate lunch at Thai Garden today and enjoyed the food very much. I had one of the lunch specials but I forgot the name already - one of the 2 asterik dishes. It was pleasingly spicy. Definitely would go again.

I like Panang's (at 90th and South Penn) lunch special better because of the variety I can select in making my own combination.

dismayed
06-02-2008, 10:11 PM
I had heard that Hong Thai closed down... a real shame. The owner had said that he was not able to expand the kitchen the way he had hoped. Maybe he'll reopen in a larger location... we can only hope.

eataroundokc.com
06-03-2008, 06:12 AM
One of the writers on my site just posted a review of Thai Palace in Edmond. I haven't been there, but his review and others I've seen are very favorable of it. Evidentally, the guy who used to own Sala Thai runs it pretty much as a one man show. Here the link if you're interested:

Thai Palace: a diamond hidden in the strip mall rough. | Oklahoma City Restaurants (http://www.eataroundokc.com/2008/thai-palace-a-diamond-hidden-in-the-strip-mall-rough/)

John
06-03-2008, 02:02 PM
One of the writers on my site just posted a review of Thai Palace in Edmond. I haven't been there, but his review and others I've seen are very favorable of it. Evidentally, the guy who used to own Sala Thai runs it pretty much as a one man show. Here the link if you're interested:

Thai Palace: a diamond hidden in the strip mall rough. | Oklahoma City Restaurants (http://www.eataroundokc.com/2008/thai-palace-a-diamond-hidden-in-the-strip-mall-rough/)

I can vouch for it.

Great place for some thai food. The one man show aspect is funny, but he gets it done!

MestaParkMan
06-09-2008, 04:05 PM
Pho Thai Nyugen is my favorite non-Japanese and also the best bowl of Pho in town IMHO. It is a once a week or more stop. Also I enjoy Pho Sooner in Norman on Jenkins.

I also enjoy Thai House on 23rd street but mainly because it is close. It can be inconsistent and I wish it were cleaner inside and out.