View Full Version : OKC ranked 39th best sports city for 2006.

AFCM
01-03-2007, 10:59 PM
OKC - 39.

The year before Oklahoma City was ranked 142. I don't know if the Hornets had something to do with the jump in rankings, but I like to see OKC is at least competitive in the sports market.

Tulsa is listed at 86, but let's not turn this into a sports/culture argument.

SportingNews.com - Best Sports Cities 2006: Who, where and how (http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?t=113586)

Karried
01-04-2007, 06:42 AM
I think it was most definitely because of the Hornets but I noticed they put a side note to include Norman.. so they are counting the fan support of OU as well.

regular-season won-lost records (from the most recently completed season);
playoff berths, bowl appearances and tournament bids;
championships;
applicable power ratings;
quality of competition;
overall fan fervor as measured in part by attendance as percentage of venue capacity;
abundance of teams, though we reward quality over quantity;
stadium/arena quality;
ticket availability and prices;
franchise ownership;
marquee appeal of athletes. -- Bob Hille

floater
01-04-2007, 09:12 AM
Yeah, I think both the Hornets and the inclusion of Norman caused the huge jump. I believe Norman was separately listed in previous rankings. I agree with most of the rankings with the exception of Morgantown, WV -- the home of the Mountaineers -- as higher. The other cities listed higher are either boffo college sports meccas, have more than one major sports teams, or a combination of both. On the whole, good for OKC.

Kerry
01-04-2007, 05:14 PM
Not sure I agree with Jacksonville at #37. There a four sporting events in Jacksonville: The Jags, Florida/GA game, ACC Champ Game and Gator Bowl.

1) The Jags - no one ever goes to the games. They even covered 10,000 seats to get the games on local tv and still they don't sell out. I have lived in JAX for almost 4 years and I can count on one hand the number of Sunday games that have been on local TV. And one time was because Winn-Dixie bought all the available tickets and gave them away when you checked out of the grocery store. Guess what - the stadium was still half empty.

2) Florida/GA game: sold out. can't get tickets if you wanted them. However, it is a 6 hour event. The people from Georgia drive in the morning of the game and most are gone by the end of the 3rd quarter. Florida fans are are locals.

3) ACC Champ Game: The city was betting on Miami and Florida State squaring off every year - then both teams started sucking. This years Wake Forest/GA Tech games was an embarassment for the city. And a huge money loser since the city guaranted a profit for the ACC.

4. Gator Bowl - The game was 10,000 short of capacity. Not good for a Bowl that though it should have been one of BCS bowls.

Luke
01-06-2007, 09:34 AM
With talk of an NHL team AND an NBA wanting to come, OKC could jump even higher before too long.

ETL
01-06-2007, 03:05 PM
With talk of an NHL team AND an NBA wanting to come, OKC could jump even higher before too long.

Who was looking at us for the NHL?

Luke
01-06-2007, 04:54 PM
I think it's Pittsburg's NHL team that is looking to relocate (unless a new arena is built) and OKC is apparently on a short list. The Oklahoman has has some stuff on it.

OKC's success with the NBA has opened other doors it seems.

ETL
01-06-2007, 05:53 PM
I think it's Pittsburg's NHL team that is looking to relocate (unless a new arena is built) and OKC is apparently on a short list. The Oklahoman has has some stuff on it.

OKC's success with the NBA has opened other doors it seems.

Thanks!

I went to kfor.com and to my surprise I fourn this.

OKLAHOMA CITY -- An Oklahoma City business group says they're interested in landing a National Hockey League franchise.

Express Sports CEO Brad Lund says he expects a formal invitation to be extended next week for the Pittsburgh Penguins to visit the city's Ford Center arena.

The Penguins and owner Mario Lemieux have been seeking a new arena in Pittsburgh and already have an offer to move to Kansas City.

Express Sports is owned by Bob Funk, the founder and CEO of Express Services and the owner of the Oklahoma City Blazers hockey team.

Funk says he won't go forward with pursuing the Penguins without consulting with Oklahoma City leaders, who are seeking to bring a permanent NBA franchise to town.

Karried
01-06-2007, 06:16 PM
Oh Gawd NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

I'm holding out for the NBA.. that's all I want and all I will pay to see...

The Plains Penguins.. ahhhhhhhhhhhhggggggggggggggggggggggg - noooooo!

SoonerDave
01-06-2007, 09:02 PM
I think the NHL is a losing proposition all the way around. The league is suffering from a combined anonymity and indifference complex, and many cite overexpansion (particularly in the southern US) as part of the problem.

I wouldn't touch an NHL team with a ten foot pole.

-SoonerDave

Easy180
01-07-2007, 07:55 AM
A big no thanks to an NHL team from me as well...Their strike a couple years back hurt them bad and hockey is on the bottom of my list of pro teams I would like to see in OKC

Well I guess it would have to be ahead of soccer, but that's not saying much

floater
01-07-2007, 09:26 AM
The Plains Penguins.. ahhhhhhhhhhhhggggggggggggggggggggggg - noooooo!

Hehe, try to make that one work...but I am a sucker for alliteration!

Chalk me up as an NBA diehard...a much better product for OKC IMO.

HOT ROD
01-07-2007, 10:26 PM
why not both?