View Full Version : Celebrities

Mandy
12-28-2006, 07:13 PM
I was just wondering if there are any celebrities (not athletes, as I wouldn't know who they are :) ) who live in OKC, or who have family there, or who visit frequently. I am just curious.

mranderson
12-28-2006, 08:00 PM
There are several. Two that come to mind are Dale Robertson and Bobby Murcer. In the past, Oklahoma City has been the home to others such as Conway Twitty and Buck Owens.

Tracy
12-28-2006, 08:02 PM
There are several. Two that come to mind are Dale Robertson and Bobby Murcer. In the past, Oklahoma City has been the home to others such as Conway Twitty and Buck Owens.

Who are Dale Robertson and Bobby Murcer?

Megan Mullalley, on "Will and Grace", is originally from Oklahoma City (moved here from L.A. when she was 7). She sang the B.C. Clark jingle. But I don't know if her family still lives here or not.

Easy180
12-28-2006, 08:03 PM
Actually lives in OKC...probably not many....Know Toby Keith lives about half the year on his ranch in Norman

Intrepid
12-28-2006, 08:09 PM
Garth Brooks and Trisha Yearwood live near Tulsa....Stroud maybe?

Intrepid
12-28-2006, 08:12 PM

Dale Robertson is an actor, Dale Robertson - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dale_Robertson)

Bobby Murcer played major league baseball for the Yankees, Giants and Cubs, Bobby Murcer - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bobby_Murcer)

ksearls
12-29-2006, 07:37 AM
Wayne Coyne and the oh so fab Flaming Lips.

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!:Smiley208

Swake2
12-29-2006, 07:48 AM
Garth Brooks lives in Owasso, a northside suburb of Tulsa.

Karried
12-29-2006, 08:30 AM
Not a lot in the city.. who was the Bachelor from Nichols Hills? or Big Brother - omg!

Brad Pitt was born here but won't admit it ... ha,ha..

Carrie Underwood lives North I believe..

metro
12-29-2006, 02:06 PM
Yeah I was going to say Wayne Coyne, and don't forget about Matt Hoffman, I'm not sure about Joe Carter. Karried, your thinking of John Paul Merritt from the Bachelorette, but he's not from Nichols Hills, he lives in OKC. Don't forget about all the Hornets players too. Barry Switzer lives in Norman.

Karried
12-29-2006, 02:24 PM
I can't believe I forgot about Matt Hoffman.. his parents are our neighbors.. and he was just on JackAss 2 which is gross but hilarious... you just have to leave in a few places.. Chris Paul lives right down the street too but they will be leaving in a few months.. boo hoo..

dismayed
12-29-2006, 03:20 PM
Yeah, Mat Hoffman even has a production facility somewhere on the north side of town. Pretty cool.

I can't think of his name, but the guy who plays Cyclops in the X-Men movies is from OKC. I believe his family still lives here. (Remembered his name, James Marsden).

James Garner visited his former hometown of Norman a few months ago and had a statue dedicated in his honor.

The rock band The Nixons is no more, but they were originally from Norman and then OKC. Some of the former members still perform in OKC occasionally, although I don't know if they actually live here or are more like nomads these days.

The All-American Rejects were here just before Thanksgiving (but technically most of the band members are from Stillwater).

metro
01-02-2007, 06:44 PM
Bob Stoops (Norman), current and past OU stars (metro area), Vince Gill and Amy Grant come to OKC frequently to visit, there is quite a few not mentioned yet, but my memory escapes me.

floater
01-02-2007, 07:04 PM

Megan Mullalley, on "Will and Grace", is originally from Oklahoma City (moved here from L.A. when she was 7). She sang the B.C. Clark jingle. But I don't know if her family still lives here or not.

Yeah, Megan went to Casady and last I heard, her mother and stepfather still live in OKC.

Bart Conner and Nadia Comaneci live in Norman.

Eduardo Najera, the Sooner standout and Denver Nugget, has a ranch in Edmond. It seems to be the choice of NBA players; Byron Scott, Chris Paul, and other Hornets have residences there as well. And George Shinn's place in Nichols Hills has been well documented.

jbrown84
01-03-2007, 09:21 AM
Yeah Megan Mullally's parents still live here, but she went to Bishop McGuiness, not Casady.

She did a whole tribute to Oklahoma episode of her talk show with Kristen Chenowith as her guest.

Brad Pitt was born here but won't admit it ... ha,ha..

Carrie Underwood lives North I believe..

Brad Pitt was born in Shawnee while his parents were attending OBU. He still has family there and has visited with Angelina a time or two.

Carrie Underwood is from Checotah, near Muskogee.

Ryan Merriman, who starred in Final Destination 3 and has appeared in others like The Deep End of the Ocean and numerous Disney Channel movies, is from Choctaw and gets back pretty often.

Charlie Hall is one of the world's most famous Christian worship leaders and songwriters. He lives here and is a member of Bridgeway Church. Jami Smith also goes there. She is also a well-known worship leader.

floater
01-03-2007, 10:52 AM
[QUOTE=jbrown84;80177]Yeah Megan Mullally's parents still live here, but she went to Bishop McGuiness, not Casady.

I don't know who wrote this, but

Megan Mullally - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Megan_Mullally)

jbrown84
01-03-2007, 11:31 AM
Wikipedia is usually a reliable source, and I'm not 100% sure, but I heard both Casady and Bishop McGuiness, and later heard that latter confirmed by someone reputable. Maybe I'm wrong.

mmartzall
01-03-2007, 04:24 PM
One of my friends went to casady with megan mullaly.

jbrown84
01-03-2007, 04:26 PM
Then I guess we have our answer.

metro
01-04-2007, 01:00 PM
I thought Megan ended up graduating from PC North. Either way, she lives in NYC now. This thread is getting off topic. It's like another thread on this site of Famous Oklahomans. The last few mentioned are famous from Oklahoma, but no longer live here. The person who started it was asking who is famous but still lives here or visits frequently. Several mentioned don't even visit frequently. Bart Conner and Nadia were a good one, that is the one I forgot about. Good call on Charlie Hall and Jami Smith, I forgot about them. Dave Edwards is a nationally known Christian comedian that lives here too.

jbrown84
01-04-2007, 01:13 PM
Dave is also a member of my church.

I think Megan get's back a couple times a year, at least. Speaking of her, she got bad news and good news today as her talk show was cancelled but she was nominated for a SAG award for Will & Grace.

metro
01-04-2007, 01:54 PM
jbrown, if you don't mind me asking, which church is Dave going to now? Bridgeway? Church of the Harvest? I know he used to attend Lifechurch. I'd like to see him again sometime, he's one funny dude.

floater
01-04-2007, 02:21 PM
Speaking of her, she got bad news and good news today as her talk show was cancelled but she was nominated for a SAG award for Will & Grace.

I'm not surprised. So many talk shows come and go, it's a tough nut to crack. I did catch when she and Chenoweth cheerleaded to "Boomer Sooner" to get a picture at the airport's concourse. She pleaded David Letterman-style (to Mayor Bart Peterson of Indianopolis) to Mark Kranenburg of the airport authority. I hope she does get some recognition. W & G was a successful show, so I think she deserves that. Chenoweth definitely deserves a place.

jbrown84
01-04-2007, 02:57 PM
I agree, they both should be up there.

Karried
01-04-2007, 04:19 PM
Bart Conner and Nadia were a good one, that is the one I forgot about.

Metro, the original poster specified No Athletes.. :boff:

Wasn't it you that said this:

This thread is getting off topic. It's like another thread on this site of Famous Oklahomans. The last few mentioned are famous from Oklahoma, but no longer live here. The person who started it was asking who is famous but still lives here or visits frequently.

And you're asking what church Dave goes to? lol

Just teasing you, we like to encourage a natural progression of discussion here .. maybe we all tend to go off topic a bit, that's okay. If it gets out of hand one of us moderators will reign it in.

NE Oasis
01-04-2007, 04:51 PM
BTW-Garth Brook's mother lives in Edmond.
Don't forget Wayva the hearing aid queen!

Karried
01-04-2007, 04:57 PM
Wayva - lol

Ohhh that reminds me of the screeching lady who Buys Houses no matter what the situation .. ' is your neighbor's cat humping your dog? We'll buy your house!" lol... she's hardly a celebrity but the hearing aid lady reminded me once again how much I loathe her and her whiny voice combined with her new 'cast' of aspiring actors who sound nearly as bad as she does.. which is pretty hard to believe.

metro
01-04-2007, 07:10 PM
That's true she mentioned no athletes in addition to that live here or visit frequently. Most mentioned don't live here or don't even frequently visit. Many others are athletes. So our list would almost be nill if you don't count athletes, sports figures, or those who don't live here. The only one I can think of is Wayne Coyne then. Possibly John Paul Merrit if you consider him a celeb. The next closest after that would be Toby Keith (Norman, but close enough to OKC). So in summary our list is greatly shortened.

fromdust
01-04-2007, 07:10 PM
one of the hottest rock bands right now, hinder, they are from the city.

metro
01-04-2007, 07:12 PM
Good call fromdust. Totally forgot to mention them.

jbrown84
01-05-2007, 09:14 AM
jbrown, if you don't mind me asking, which church is Dave going to now? Bridgeway? Church of the Harvest? I know he used to attend Lifechurch. I'd like to see him again sometime, he's one funny dude.

He grew up at Northwest Baptist, and is still a member, although he is pretty much booked with speaking engagements, so we don't see him much.

Mandy
01-05-2007, 02:23 PM
Cool, I love Hinder! Well, a couple of their songs. :)
I also love Megan...shame about her show, but I didn't like it either.
I figured there would be a lot of country music people! I knew about Garth/Trisha and Carrie.

And it's okay about all the athletes. ;) A celebrity is a celebrity!

Karried, you must live in a nice neighborhood! Don't *ball stars live in mansions??

Karried
01-05-2007, 03:27 PM
And it's okay about all the athletes. ;) A celebrity is a celebrity!

Oh I know that, I was teasing Metro... pulling his chain and kidding around with him...

Karried, you must live in a nice neighborhood! Don't *ball stars live in mansions??

Actually, Chris Paul lives in a very modest home in Edmond. It is a very nice area though but I was surprised also that he lived in a neighborhood of starter homes.

Intrepid
01-05-2007, 05:45 PM
BTW-Garth Brook's mother lives in Edmond.

Not trying to be morbid here, but she died of cancer in 1999.

And she was a singer herself. I found this:

Garth Brooks > Biography at MyStrands (http://www.mystrands.com/artist/4511/biography)

"Brooks' mother, country singer Colleen Carroll, appeared on the Ozark Jubilee and recorded for Capitol Records."

I also didn't know that Garth's first name is actually Troyal.

Karried
01-05-2007, 05:54 PM
and Garth was supposed to be an improved upon name?? lol

metro
01-07-2007, 10:37 PM
Troyal Garth lol.........