View Full Version : Old Chicago - MWC location

metro
12-27-2006, 02:49 PM
Well I've eaten twice at the metro's first Old Chicago restaurant. I'm not too impressed. I'm not big on Chicago style, but it doesn't seem much better or any better than Pizza Hut. I've ordered a Deep Dish to go before and had their lunch buffet before. The buffet was a joke. It's about $8 something without a drink and they only have about 4 pizzas and breadsticks to choose from and that's it. No salad, or anything else. The combinations are usually weird too. The place was packed though. A wait just for the lunch buffet. Personally it tasted just like Pizza Hut (which I don't care for much) only it used better quality pepperoni and sausage. Other than that. Nothing.

Martin
12-27-2006, 03:36 PM
wow... chicago style really shouldn't be like pizza hut... at all. i mean, was it even deep dish? -M

metro
12-27-2006, 03:42 PM
Not Deep Dish like I imagined. I'm not a huge deep dish fan, but I know what it should look like. IMO this was not it. It was very greasy crust and had the same taste as Pizza Hut. Not impressed with the buffet either. The smoking section was a joke. I'm sure it was separately ventilated, but the doors into it were up front and also by the buffet, but they were the swing open style doors. The kind waiters usually walk out of a kitchen. Smoke could flow freely in the non-smoking section.

js2004
12-27-2006, 05:19 PM
I went this last saturday for my first time and had the exact opposite experience, it was incredible!!
Let me start off by saying it is still quite busy being MWC newest resteraunt so don't go on Saturday night at 6 or it will be packed. We went around 4ish and still had to wait 45 minutes but that not there fault. When finally seated our server was very prompt in taking are order and checking back with us. Very impressive service considering they were absolutely slamed with people. Now on to the food, We ordered the chicago 7(there version of a supreme) and the stuffed pizza with mushrooms, pepperoni and sausage. They were both fantastic, and this is after eating the garlic bread appetizer which was fantastic! The only thing about the food that dissapointed me was the closest thing to an actual chicago style pizza pie, which by the way is an actual pie with crust on top, was the stuffed pizza. The stuffed pizza, even though it was excellent was by no means near as big as an actual chicago style pizza pie. The biggest guys I know would be hard pressed to eat to pieces of actual chicago pizza pie. And a resteraunt named after chicago should have this type of pizza.
Nonetheless, I give the resteraunt a 9 out of 10 for the food and a 10 out of 10 for the service. I left stuffed and happy, so I don't know if the other guy just went on a bad night or not but please just try the resteraunt for yourself and then judge.

metro
12-28-2006, 09:35 AM
I didn't go on a bad night. If you re-read my post. I went twice. Once for a lunch buffet and once for a carryout order. Just wasn't impressed that they claim such "authentic Chicago style" and it's not, even you admitted that. If I wanted that type of pizza I could order Pizza Hut (and again not a fan of) or go to a pizzeria closer to downtown. I will probably go back occasionally to Old Chicago, but the prices are higher than they should be, the buffet is a joke (did you check it out?). It's just not that "oh I gotta go to Old Chicago and get ......fill in the blank" because no one else in town makes it like them. Nothing original basically was my original point.

bombermwc
12-28-2006, 10:33 AM
I havent been yet, but I've got to ask if there are many chains that have things like you are talking about metro. This is a national chain, and not a local thing, it just happens to be the first in the state. So is there something at Chili's or Santa Fe, or another big chain like that which makes you crave it? For me I would say no, that I never crave a particular thing because it's probably at 20 other places just like it. But it's something different from other places in the area and obviously has a following. I know there were people clammering at the doors waiting for it to open because they had been to one in another town. I'd say wait a couple months for it to slow down and go back. Keep an open mind and don't get something you would order at another chain. Try something specific to them and don't judge it on your pallet. Just because you don't like a particular dish doesn't mean the place is bad you know.

BailJumper
12-28-2006, 11:31 AM
Wait a minute bombermwc, did I miss something? Exactly what do you expect metro to order in a pizza place BESIDES PIZZA? "Man that Chicago Style pizza place makes one hellava side salad!"

I tried the place too after some Christmas shopping and wasn't impressed either. It was pizza - nothing special.

Personally, I prefer a Mazzio's buffet or Hideaway for sit down. Heck, I get the most value for my dollar (IMO) by picking up a $8 pizza from the Sam's Club deli and taking it home - same pizza everyone else charges $10-$18 for (and no tipping!)

metro
12-28-2006, 02:21 PM
Thanks Bail Jumper, exactly, Old Chicago is known for two things, it's deep dish pizza (I think by now I've made it obvious I wasn't impressed) and it's world beer tour (I'm not a drinker). So, if I was craving deep dish pizza and don't know where else to get some in this town, and a new place that is famous for it opens up, of course that is what I'm going to try there. And on the buffet, I tried what limited items they had on it. Like Bailjumper said, I'm not going to order a side salad or a sandwich. If I want that, I'll go somewhere that is known for their sandwiches or side salad. When I'm expecting famous "Chicago Deep Dish" and they don't deliver, why wouldn't I base my two experiences on that. Like I said, I'm not being "close minded" I'm judging based on my experience. Secondly, I did say I would probably go back again, I just won't go out of my way to do so regularly since I wasn't impressed.

js2004
12-28-2006, 07:58 PM
I can't say anything about the lunch buffet or there carryout metro because I haven't tried either. My comments were based on the one experience I had last saturday evening and we ate in the resteraunt. To me the food was good and service was the most impressive factor. This is just my opinion from that one night and I may go back and have a totally different experience(hope not). I'm just saying for other people to try it first and see what they think, thats all.

bombermwc
12-29-2006, 08:52 AM
Well I don't mean it in that obvious of terms. Duh you're going to order a pizza, but is there something on the menu that isn't a normal pizza? I go to Hideaway expecting something unusual on my pizza, Sam's is a great deal for an ok pizza, so is there something unusual at Old Chicago that might make it stand out? Or is it just a normal peperoni or sausage kind of thing. I'm not a drinker, so the beer doesn't interest me, but there are plenty people that love a beer with their pizza. If they don't have an actual honest to god deep dish (with the 4 inch thick stuff in the middle), then the name is a bad choice for the chain. I would bet that it's similar to California Pizza Company. More upscale than Pizza Hut but what you pay for is atmosphere rather than some amazing new food.

Off topic but I've gotta say that I thought Hemi's was a great all encompassing place. Too bad they had to go under.

js2004
12-29-2006, 04:14 PM
It was great food. But the only thing on the menu that stood out as unique was there stuffed pizza, which is the closest thing to come to an actual chicago style pizza pie in the mid/del area. It was excellent and loaded with different cheeses but still not the same as the huge one's you get in chicago or other bigger cities. It was like a mini version of the real thing. Now I hear that North Fork resteraunt has taken over what used to be Applewoods on Memorial and they have started serving the Chicago Style My Pie pizzas again. From what I hear this is probably the closest you'll come to actual Chicago style in Oklahoma city.

OKLApi
12-29-2006, 04:32 PM
I tried it. Service was bad, food was okay but it took over an hour to get the wrong order. Finally got right order to go. Over priced for sure.

wheeler
01-01-2007, 10:13 AM
What a disappointment! Pizza dripping grease, poor service, overpriced,took forever BUT! Best strawberry Daqueri! Had to be something good.........

Julesc2001
04-27-2007, 10:39 AM
Have you ever had pizza that wasnt greasy? haa... it is pizza!

Anyways, I love Old Chicago... I've eaten there in Colorado and cant wait for the Edmond one to open... it is no Gino's East in Chicago, but the closest thing to Chicago style OKC will have (well, there is Sophabellas, well a tie then..) The Beer Tour is great... if you drink beer... I am just hoping they'll be able to have Fat Tire on tap, with all the OK laws, who knows...

Oh GAWD the Smell!
04-27-2007, 12:30 PM
Have you ever had pizza that wasnt greasy? haa... it is pizza!

Anyways, I love Old Chicago... I've eaten there in Colorado and cant wait for the Edmond one to open... it is no Gino's East in Chicago, but the closest thing to Chicago style OKC will have (well, there is Sophabellas, well a tie then..) The Beer Tour is great... if you drink beer... I am just hoping they'll be able to have Fat Tire on tap, with all the OK laws, who knows...

Same here...I used to eat at the Old Chicago in Aurora, CO and I loved it...But I rarely eat their pizzas.

I'm there for a) the beer selection b) the calzones, which I've always found quite tasty and c) the beer selection.

I was pretty happy when they opened, even IF the beer tour is now watered down with them covering their butts.

jbrown84
04-27-2007, 12:38 PM
Have you ever had pizza that wasnt greasy?

Yes, I had some at the famous Grimaldi's in Brooklyn that was made with fresh mozzarella and wasn't greasy.

Easy180
04-27-2007, 12:44 PM
Have my Beer tour card even though it will likely take a year or so for Easy's name to go up on the Wall of Foam

Great beer selection made even better by having Newcastle on tap...First place I've ran across in the metro

escan
04-27-2007, 01:12 PM
LOVE Old Chicago in Downtown Wichita....in the middle of the Cinco de Mayo mini tour now. I'm from OKC, but now living in Old Town Wichita for business and it almost feels like a local bar down there. Not sure, however, that I would drive to the 'burbs (MWC) for it. It's just walking distance for me. I agree...the beer is more of a draw for me than the pizza.

Bomber....was there a Hemi's that went out of business in MWC? Because there is still one located on N. Classen...it relocated from the original location on NW 23rd st.

mranderson
04-27-2007, 06:17 PM
LOVE Old Chicago in Downtown Wichita....in the middle of the Cinco de Mayo mini tour now. I'm from OKC, but now living in Old Town Wichita for business and it almost feels like a local bar down there. Not sure, however, that I would drive to the 'burbs (MWC) for it. It's just walking distance for me. I agree...the beer is more of a draw for me than the pizza.

Bomber....was there a Hemi's that went out of business in MWC? Because there is still one located on N. Classen...it relocated from the original location on NW 23rd st.

Funny you should mention the Old Chicago in Wichita. I ate there today. Food was ok, no worse or no better than any other Italian place. Service was REAL slow, however. Nothing special there. Just another Italian restaurant.

escan
05-01-2007, 03:16 PM
Agreed Mr. A. Don't really like the food....but enjoy the bar/beer!

BMG
05-14-2007, 05:47 PM
Thanks Bail Jumper, exactly, Old Chicago is known for two things, it's deep dish pizza (I think by now I've made it obvious I wasn't impressed) and it's world beer tour (I'm not a drinker). So, if I was craving deep dish pizza and don't know where else to get some in this town, and a new place that is famous for it opens up, of course that is what I'm going to try there. And on the buffet, I tried what limited items they had on it. Like Bailjumper said, I'm not going to order a side salad or a sandwich. If I want that, I'll go somewhere that is known for their sandwiches or side salad. When I'm expecting famous "Chicago Deep Dish" and they don't deliver, why wouldn't I base my two experiences on that. Like I said, I'm not being "close minded" I'm judging based on my experience. Secondly, I did say I would probably go back again, I just won't go out of my way to do so regularly since I wasn't impressed.

Hailing from the Chicago area I know what real deep dish and stuffed pizza is. I went to eat at old Chicago with my family on Sunday for mothers day. It was great!!!!!!!! I don't know what high horse you rode in on pizza wise metro but you must has distorted taste buds or something. The deep dish was A++++ considering it was from a chain. I had the buffet and was able to try 3 different deep dish slices that were all the closest I have came to Chicago style besides going to UNOs in Tulsa before it closed.

The atmosphere was ok considering it was totally packed for mothers day. My mom even saw a poster from a local brewery in Chicago that had gone out of business in the 70s and she used to joke about my grandpa drinking it. We had a good time and almost felt at home while we were there.

I highly recommend checking this place out to anyone that wants to try anything close to Chicago deep dish. Pizza hut, papa johns, mazzios couldn't even begin to compare.

metro
05-15-2007, 09:15 AM
I didn't say it was bad, I just said I wasn't impressed with the place. I don't think I "rode in on a high horse". If you'll re-read all the posts above, only two other persons besides you mentioned a good experience, everyone else mentioned they weren't impressed with the food, only the beer. Far more posts saying they weren't impressed with the food. I'm not a beer drinker so......... I'd say my impression is right on par with the majority of the folks who reviewed the place based on its pizza.