View Full Version : Toys Needed!

Karried
12-19-2006, 04:11 PM
Dinner organizers issue plea for toys

Organizers of the Red Andrews Christmas Dinner said Monday they do not have enough toys to give to children expected to attend the event on Christmas Day.

About 7,000 people ate at the dinner last year. The event is hosted at the Cox Convention Center.

Organizer Betty McCord said she is in desperate need of new toys for the children expected to attend.

Drop sites are:

Southwestern Bank, 6000 S Western Ave.
Union Bank, SW 73 and Pennsylvania Avenue.
Quail Creek Bank, NW 122 and May Avenue.
TNT Convenience Store, 8301 NW 10.
Absolute Pawfessional, 7423 NW 23
Old Orchard Restaurant, 7339 NW 23
Ray Ward Fine Jewelers, 4551 NW 23
K.T.'s, 5000 NW 10.
For more information about the event, call 728-0971.

Some Guy
12-19-2006, 08:34 PM
Do you know if the toys have to be "new" vs. "gently used"?

Karried
12-19-2006, 09:23 PM
Good question....I wish 'gently used' would work also.. when I told my youngest about this and told him we needed to give some toys and would he be willing to relinquish some toys ( meaning from under the tree) he gladly offered up his gently used toys but wasn't going for giving up his new wrapped presents... lol - he was worried it might be something he really wanted! We have to work on his giving spirit!

So we will go shopping tomorrow and then hit Quail Springs Bank to drop off a few things ..

Here is what the director said about it in the story:

desperate need of new toys

So, I'm thinking even Hot Wheels or Barbies, Crayons and Coloring Books would be appreciated .. they aren't that expensive .. I know it's a hard time for everyone around the holidays but the thought of a child not having even One toy just breaks my heart so we'll try to do what we can.

BailJumper
12-20-2006, 05:56 AM
We have a big extended family. A few years ago we stopped stressing out buying for everyone, just to have the present collect dust or be regifted.

We buy for our spouse and kid(s) and then each family donates $100 (equaled $800 this year) and we take the money and buy a mix of toys and winter clothing for two or three non-profits. It's cheaper than buying for each family member and it makes you feel good to know someone will really appreciate it!

I've set aside a couple of boxes of toys and will get them to the Red Andrews event tomorrow.

Karried
12-20-2006, 07:13 AM
Bailjumper. That's a fantastic idea...

BailJumper
12-20-2006, 08:45 AM
It was not embraced initially by all members of the extended family. However, now we love it!

When we get together for Christmas (usually a day or two before or after Chritmas day), instead of handing out gifts and watching people size up their bounty compared to what they dished out we enjoy a large meal and then take a huge family photo and smaller group photos too. We also share pictures that have been taken over the year from different events. We number the photos and each family member makes a list of those photos they like.

Most used digital photos or had the photos converted to a CD.

We then go online to SamsClub.com and order our photos. 4x6's are only like $.11 each and 8x10's are only around $1.50 each.

A couple of hours later someone goes and picks up the photos and we hand them out. It has become VERY popular and we all look forward to it.

Karried
12-20-2006, 09:59 AM
Yeah, I could imagine that some might not embrace it.. it drives me insane.. all the money spent on gifts. I tried and tried to ask the family to draw names.. no one like the idea.. we all have since dispersed across the country ( thankfully) and I don't send gifts any longer to everyone.. my husband's family has his parents, Great Grandmother, 5 children and combined 14 grandchildren - insanity. You should have seen the chaos and 'waste'.. the kids were so overwhelmed when they were little.. they were exhausted from opening presents and really didn't enjoy it.. it was too much. The waste and debt incurred.. I hate to think about it.

I like the photo idea.. you probably know about this but just in case. Here's a cool site.. I upload my photos to Snapfish, create a Group Room and invite family and friends to view the photos and there they can order online the prints they want and pick them up at Walgreens.

This way, the house burns down and all negatives are lost, photos albums gone and hard drive melted.. or even if the computer crashes, they are hosted there. It is free. Digital Photo Printing, Free Online Photo Albums & Digital Photo Sharing - Snapfish: (http://www.snapfish.com)