View Full Version : OKC's Crazy Parking Meter Laws

BailJumper
12-19-2006, 05:46 AM
Anyone else see the report on KFOR regarding parking meters?

I've heard this was a law, but didn't think anyone ever enforced it. There was a guy who got a ticket, not because his meter expired, but because he parked for more than an hour at the same meter.

I remember a report a long time ago about another OKC man that got a ticket for putting money in someone else's meter. The guy thought he was being a good citizen and keeping someone from getting a ticket.

I know the city will say in the 1st case that if you are going to be more than an hour then use a parking garage and that meters are for quick in and out visits.

The 2nd case is clearly for financial reasons.

I hear the city council is considering meters that reset as soon as a car vacates a spot. No more "cool it's still got 10 minutes on the meter" as you pull up.

Next it will be the meter that automatically issues a ticket so the meter maid doesn't miss it.

Just doesn't seem 'friendly' to me.

Luckily I have a monthly parking card.

Martin
12-19-2006, 06:08 AM
i've heard this was a law, but didn't think anyone ever enforced it. there was a guy who got a ticket, not because his meter expired, but because he parked for more than an hour at the same meter.i didn't think that there was anything in law saying that someone could only park at a metered spot for an hour... i thought it was just that some metered spots had an hour maximum.

i remember a report a long time ago about another okc man that got a ticket for putting money in someone else's meter. the guy thought he was being a good citizen and keeping someone from getting a ticket.i remember this, too... what a joke. given all the bad pr around it, didn't the city end up rescinding the ticket?

i hear the city council is considering meters that reset as soon as a car vacates a spot. if true, that's dirty pool. besides that, i'd see many potential problems arising from implementing such a system... it seems to me as if the meter could reset itself in error, causing someone's time to expire early. besides that, the extra cost in installing/maintaining a more complex parking meter system would likely be higher than the additional revenue gained.

-M

BailJumper
12-19-2006, 06:57 AM
The meters do say "maximum time one hour."

Martin
12-19-2006, 07:43 AM
exactly... it's not like it's some universal parking meter law. -M