View Full Version : Major Announcement Oct. 29th

Patrick
10-28-2004, 11:07 PM
Keith and I have both learned from a city leader that a major announcement will be made sometime today which will lead to the creation of 4,000 new jobs in the Oklahoma City area. The city leader wasn't allowed to speculate. Keith and I both thought it might be the Dell Announcement...wasn't it supposed to be made Oct 29th? But we weren't exactly certain. Anyways, my bet right now is that the announcement will be that Dell is locating in Oklahoma City, not Norman. That seems like the only fit for such an announcement.

mranderson
10-28-2004, 11:50 PM
Dell will be hiring more people than first expected, however, I do not have solid numbers.

Yes. The location of the call center is to be announced October 29.

I have been told the call center will be on a multi acreage lot that could possibly hold over one million square feet. That would make it one of the largest call centers in the nation, if not THE largest. It could also be for a future distribution center and/or plant.

The announcement could be more than one company including the dell center announcement.

Luke
10-29-2004, 05:17 AM
I wonder where it'll be. Oklahoma River?

4,000 new jobs? That's great news!

floater
10-29-2004, 07:09 AM
I'm stunned. This "will be" 4,000 new jobs, not "could be" 4,000 new jobs? To say it's music to my ears is an understatement. Call center or not, this is pretty significant. Fingers crossed that it IS on the Oklahoma! River, and that building will be a beaut to look at!! Let this be the impetus for residential development surrounding it!!

downtownguy
10-29-2004, 07:24 AM
Yes, it's Dell, yes, it's going on the Oklahoma River. And it's going to be much more than you've been told to date.

Proactive Volunteer
10-29-2004, 07:33 AM
Dell chooses Oklahoma City

By Don Mecoy
The Oklahoman
October 29, 2004

Dell Inc. next month will begin building a 120,000-square-foot sales and customer service center on the south bank of the Oklahoma River a few miles west of downtown Oklahoma City.
Today's official announcement comes as Dell, the world's largest computer producer, continues to ramp up its Oklahoma City operations. The company, which launched a local call center last month, is expanding its Oklahoma City work force to 500 people and expects to have 700 employees by year's end.

"We're thrilled," said Oklahoma City Mayor Mick Cornett. "Certainly from a job-creation standpoint, this is huge for Oklahoma City. We're creating a city that companies like Dell are going to be attracted to."

Dell expects to complete the building, roughly the size of a Wal-Mart store, by next summer. The riverfront location is at the site of an abandoned park at Interstate 44 and SW 15.

Today's announcement concludes a spirited competition between Oklahoma City and Norman to determine the permanent location of the sales and customer service center. Local Dell employees currently work at the Hertz Financial Center in northwest Oklahoma City.

The Round Rock, Texas, company announced in July that it would establish its sixth U.S. sales center in the Oklahoma City area with 250 employees. The center eventually could employ up to 3,000, which would make it one of the top 10 nongovernmental employers in Oklahoma City.

"We celebrate that Dell, a well-respected, global company, has chosen Oklahoma for a significant facility, and that they have also chosen to almost triple their initial head-count goal," Gov. Brad Henry said.

Dell typically expands its centers based on the success of the local operations.

Dell praises local workers
Ro Parra, Dell senior vice president, said the company has increased the mission and the size of the Oklahoma City operation.

"The quality of the local work force has enabled us to expand our business plan and increase the number of Oklahoma City employees we need to serve our customers," Parra said in a statement issued by the company.

The 68-acre property along the restored Oklahoma River is a five-minute drive from downtown and Bricktown, and the Meridian Avenue hotel and restaurant corridor. Company officials earlier said that convenient access to such amenities was an important consideration.

The site last was used as a horse stable -- the "equestrian pearl" of the city's "String of Pearls" redevelopment of what then was known as the North Canadian River. That early 1980s plan failed because of a lack of funding.

The waterway has been restored as part of the city's Metropolitan Area Projects. Cornett said the city donated the land and will help make sure the property is prepared for construction.

Company gets tax breaks Dell can earn tax-free bond financing, employment tax credits and other federal assistance because the land is in a federal empowerment zone. The company also will qualify for a 5 percent rebate on its payroll taxes through Oklahoma's Quality Jobs program, and the state is paying $1,900 per job for the first 500 jobs to train the new Dell employees through its CareerTech system.

Cornett said Dell's presence will help lure other businesses to Oklahoma City.

"Dell is a magnet," he said. "Getting them in your city sends a message to the rest of the world that you're a city worth looking at."

Those seeking jobs at Dell's Oklahoma City sales and customer care center should visit: www.workforceok.org/delljobs/.

Proactive Volunteer
10-29-2004, 07:34 AM
This is awesome news for Oklahoma City, the State and the Empowerment Zone!

Many thanks go out to all of our City and State leaders who helped make this happen!!

Keith
10-29-2004, 07:57 AM
Excellent!! Hey, Proactive Volunteer, it is great to have you back with us :rock_on: .

Thanks for keeping us informed.

floater
10-29-2004, 07:13 PM
Welcome back, Proactive!! Yes, this was a victory that can be shared by many -- Employment Security, CareerTech, Commerce, the chamber, the planning department and the EZ program, and other city staff. What a win!!

In the meantime, let's think about the possibilities. The location selected was slated by planners and consultants to be a sports complex -- between Portland and I-40 just N of SW 15th. We can see this in the link below, to a presentation given by Jim Couch at the Mayor's Development Roundtable:

http://www.okc.gov/planning/roundtable/Couch2_files/frame.htm

Slide 13 shows the West River Corridor. A River Parkway connects the site to Meridian. The site is also split with the next two slides, 14 and 15. On 15, you see May and Stockyards City. The Parkway connects to SC as well, creating a nice opportunity for employees to patronize Langston's, Cattlemen's Steakhouse, etc. as well. I think of such a delicious mix of industries -- agrarian and consumer tech. Cool.

It's in the middle, on May and I-44, where we can ponder the possibilities. What's there right now? What should go there? Should we go ahead and put in a multifamily residential development to complement the industrial (Dell) and entertainment (Stockyards City)? Or maybe put in some supportive highway retail, like convenience stories and fast food? Or spinoff office development for Dell?

To answer, I wonder about two things. Is that prospective Northwest high-tech company (aka Microsoft) still interested in OKC? And did downtownguy's bold emphasis on "live", work, and play in his blog hint at a residential development? I don't know, but I think that May development should enhance and bridge those two nodes of activity.

What do you guys think?

OUman
11-02-2004, 04:10 PM
Yep, excellent news. Good stuff for Oklahoma City.

OUman

Patrick
11-03-2004, 02:06 PM
To answer, I wonder about two things. Is that prospective Northwest high-tech company (aka Microsoft) still interested in OKC? And did downtownguy's bold emphasis on "live", work, and play in his blog hint at a residential development? I don't know, but I think that May development should enhance and bridge those two nodes of activity.

floater, having the largest Dell call center in the world couldn't hurt our chances with Microsoft and other computer firms. We also have the research park, offering more high tech jobs, so our city is definitely showing that it can support high tech jobs. Sure, this will just be a call center, but maybe it can lead to other opportunities later.

By the way, I believe Dell will be west of I-44 across the street from Kerr Village if I'm not mistaken. Isn't that correct?

mranderson
11-03-2004, 02:17 PM
floater, having the largest Dell call center in the world couldn't hurt our chances with Microsoft and other computer firms. We also have the research park, offering more high tech jobs, so our city is definitely showing that it can support high tech jobs. Sure, this will just be a call center, but maybe it can lead to other opportunities later.

By the way, I believe Dell will be west of I-44 across the street from Kerr Village if I'm not mistaken. Isn't that correct?

For now. At the job fair, I learned about the employee count. They are expecting this center to grow to over 3,000 employees. Dell wants this center to be able to house a manufacturing plant and a disttibution center in the future, hence making Oklahoma City the second largest Dell city in the world. My guess is eventually more than 5,000 people may work out of the Dell facilities.

And, yes. It is across the street from Kerr Village. That part is a little scary, however, they have a security force and hoepfully secured parking accessable only by permit.

More simimalr jobs? Could be. I will keep you posted when I can.

Patrick
11-03-2004, 02:35 PM
Thanks for the update mranderson. Man, if we could get the manufacturing end of Dell on their new campus that would be fantastic. It would be a great selling tool for our city, especially for other high tech computer jobs. Anyone remember Corning? Maybe we could bring them back to town. We also still have space to fill at the old Lucent Plant. An electronic manufacturing plant would be nice.

mranderson
11-03-2004, 02:38 PM
Microsoft could take Lucient. I forgot all about it.

By the way. If anyone wants a job at Dell, pm me after November 15. I get up to a thousand bucks as a referal bonus paid over a six month period.

I forgot how long I have to be there first, however.

floater
11-03-2004, 03:35 PM
By the way. If anyone wants a job at Dell, pm me after November 15. I get up to a thousand bucks as a referal bonus paid over a six month period.

Hey mranderson, so are you Dell employee now? If so, congrats! This is great news. I do not mind being second banana when it comes to Dell jobs!!! Dell is the kind of employer grads want to work for when they begin their careers. And this is another great example of putting our tri-interstate location to good use!!

mranderson
11-03-2004, 03:41 PM
The offer has been tendered and accepted and my pre employment testing is complete. All I have to do now is show up.

So, although legally no, the answer is still yes. If for some reason, they retract the offer, I have recourse.

floater
11-03-2004, 03:45 PM
All I have to do now is show up

As a wise man (okay, Woody Allen) once said, "90 percent of success is just showing up."

Luke
11-03-2004, 04:56 PM
When are they gonna break ground on the Dell plant? Whenever that is, an investor would be wise to break ground on apartments or condos or townhouses overlooking the river right next to the Dell plant - or at least on the river somewhere with easy access to Dell and downtown. Or maybe even right downtown on the river.

mranderson
11-03-2004, 05:21 PM
Construction is to start next month with a summer completion date.

Until then, I will drive about 15 miles to work. The permanant place will be about seven.

Nuclear_2525
11-03-2004, 09:13 PM
Does anyone know what the building is going to look like? Renderings? With a groundbraking that close I know they must have some idea of what it is going to look like.

Proactive Volunteer
11-04-2004, 08:24 AM
The Riverfront Authority is still working on what they want to see happen for development on the River.

Some of the background talk has been that apartments, condos, hotels and possibly even some housing additions will eventually be built along the river. With Dell coming, and with the prospect of thousands of jobs, this will help spur developer vision to buy land, remove the current structures and build new.

As far as building site plans, check with Public Works Permit Department and see if any have been filed yet.

Midtowner
11-04-2004, 08:25 AM
I hope not housing additions. We need to reserve that area for high density housing ONLY.

Luke
11-04-2004, 09:33 AM
Housing like Brookhaven Village in Norman behind the Sooner Mall would be really nice. They are very upscale multi-family units like duplexes or quadplexes. But, I agree, high density housing should be the major thing down there.

Man, just think of what that river holds!

Patrick
11-07-2004, 01:41 AM
People like to live close to their place of employment. I have a feeling that with Dell locating a huge facility on the river, you'll see apartment complexes and condos rising nearby. One can only hope, anyhow.

mranderson
11-16-2004, 05:21 PM
Here is some things I have learned about the new call center now that I am a Dell Employee.

The center is schedualed to open in August. It will consist of four buildings in a campus setting. each department will have their own building with the agents having their own office.

Sales and support. The business sales center and the consumer sales center will share a building with sales support personnel such as internet people.

Technical and customer support will share a building along with their support personnel such as internet people.

Call distribution and direction. This department is brand new to Dell and Oklahoma City is the only city in the wrld with this department. I will have a seperate paragraph on the function.

Operations and Administration. Self explanitory. This will house upper management, personnel (human resources for those who insist on yuppie terms), and other functions.

Distribution and direction take the place of the automated answering devises that prompt you to press a number, then send you on a roller coaster ride. This function is done live.

The trainer said Dell surveyed customers who said they wanted a live voice. We have a computer program that advises where the call is to be transfered, thus reducing incorrect transfers by a large number. Sometimes, a customer may say they want customer care (as it is called by Dell) when they really need tech support, or the reverse. The computer program solves this problem.

This is my department. We have about 50 voice agents plus "coaches" and management, so far, but that number is expected to grow.

I thought you might want to know what is up, and what inovative steps Dell likes to take to make it easier on the consumer with getting you where you need to be. :Smiley173

floater
11-16-2004, 07:36 PM
Thanks for the info, mranderson. You're already starting to sound like Dell disciple!! When you know, could you tell us what the buildings look like? I'm hoping they're black, just like their desktops. Sort of a branding effect. They most likely won't be, but it'd be cool.

Luke
11-16-2004, 08:11 PM
I hope they're cool looking.

Patrick
11-16-2004, 09:40 PM
mranderson, I'm with floater. I can definitely tell you're an official Dell employee now. Hey, thanks for the information. That's cool the way the campus will be divided up by department. Hopefully the campus will grow as they add more departments. It would be coolif we could get a manufacturing facility here, similar to what we used to have at Lucent, only this would be for Dell computer systems!

Patrick
11-16-2004, 09:42 PM
By the way thanks mranderson for all of the direction you have given me via PM about helping my fiancee get a job at Dell! I hope she gets it! Hmmm, I guess if she gets a job with Dell, she'll have to get on the forum here and chit chat about Dell with you! lol!