View Full Version : Myriad Gardens' Crystal Bridge to close For Repairs.

Keith
12-18-2006, 05:48 PM
Popular tropic conservatory will be closed January through mid-April for $2.4 million renovation project.

One of downtown Oklahoma City’s most well-known attractions, the Crystal Bridge Tropical Conservatory, will close for several months beginning January 2, 2007. The Crystal Bridge, a popular feature of the Myriad Botanical Gardens, will undergo extensive interior renovations and will remain closed until late April 2007.

“After extensive evaluation and planning, the Crystal Bridge will finally receive a number of much-needed repairs, along with some exciting additions,” said Allan Storjohann, Myriad Botanical Gardens manager.

A long list of improvements is planned, including repair and enhancements to the walkways and stairs of the Conservatory’s wet and dry mountain areas, electrical improvements, public restroom improvements and a new roof for the Gardens’ administrative offices.

Guests returning to the Crystal Bridge in April will immediately notice the improvements.

“The Crystal Bridge interior will be more accessible and will have numerous new vantage points up and down the mountains in each end of the Conservatory,” Storjohann said.

“The changes to the adventure walk and dry mountain stairs will totally change the look and feel for Crystal Bridge visitors, and new bamboo handrails throughout the structure will serve to connect guests with the tropical environment like never before.”

While improvements to the walkways and lighting will enhance the overall guest experience in the Crystal Bridge, many renovations will take place behind the scenes.

“A number of upgrades to the heating and cooling systems will ensure a more comfortable visit,” Storjohann said. “In addition, a new suspended gantry system will provide staff increased access to the Conservatory’s ceiling-level ventilation panels.”

Despite the closure to the Crystal Bridge, the Myriad Botanical Gardens will continue its education and events planning for 2007, including its annual Oklahoma Gardening School, slated for March 10. The Crystal Bridge Gift Shop will re-open its doors on March 1, just in time for the Big XII basketball tournament.

“The crew here at the Myriad Botanical Gardens works year round to create a world-class facility for the public to enjoy. The upcoming Crystal Bridge improvements will help maintain the Gardens as Oklahoma City’s downtown oasis.”

The Crystal Bridge is scheduled to reopen in time for the 2007 Festival of the Arts, April 24 – 29.

Funding for the $2.4 million renovation project will come from the 2000 General Obligation Bond. Glover-Smith-Bodie, Inc. is the architect and Downey Contracting LLC is the contractor.

This is the first major renovation to the Crystal Bridge Tropical Conservatory since it was opened to the public in 1988.

The Myriad Botanical Gardens is located at Reno and Robinson in downtown Oklahoma City. From now until January 1, the Crystal Bridge will be open 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. Monday through Saturday and noon to 6 p.m. on Sunday. It will be closed on Monday, December 25, and Monday, January 1, in observance of the Christmas and New Year’s holidays. For admission rates and other information, call 297-3995 or visit www.myriadgardens.com (http://www.myriadgardens.com/).

Pete
12-18-2006, 07:03 PM
Nice that they are putting more money in it, but too bad it will be closed during the Big XII basketball tournaments in March.

Intrepid
12-18-2006, 08:07 PM
Wow....for some reason I thought it had been around a lot longer than 1988.

jbrown84
12-18-2006, 10:50 PM
It is too bad it won't be open for the Big XII Tournament, but it's always a good thing for tourists to see improvements and new projects going on.

The MoMA in New York was shut down for 3 years or something like that while they renovated and expanded.

John
12-19-2006, 01:39 AM
Unless I overlooked it in the article, they had talked about replacing the glass panels of the 'crystal' bridge to return it to its original condition and make it appear like 'crystal' again...

SoonerDave
12-19-2006, 07:29 PM
There's no way that opening date of 1988 can be right. That's six years after I graduated high school, and I guarantee you I had been through it before I was out of high school. Heck, the Arts Festival moved into that area before then.

Gotta be some other qualifier on that date we're missing...

-SoonerDave

brianinok
12-19-2006, 08:40 PM
That is STUPID, STUPID, STUPID to be closed during the Big XII. We have to put our best foot forward as a city for the Big XII, and closing one of downtown's biggest attractions is not the way to do that. I am shocked that the mayor and other leaders are allowing this. In fact, it makes me question their judgment. :fighting2

OSUPokeFan
12-20-2006, 06:43 AM
The Gardens really did open in 1988, according to their website- Myriad Botanical Gardens and Crystal Bridge Tropical Conservatory - About Us (http://www.myriadgardens.com/about.html)

Martin
12-20-2006, 07:11 AM
while the structure was in place for much longer, the botanical tube probably didn't open to the public until '88. -M

hipsterdoofus
12-20-2006, 09:39 AM
I went in there on Sunday night...it was packed in there. First time I had visited. I thought it was very cool but wondered what they are going to do with the MASSIVE palm tree that has reached the roof and is wedged against it now!