View Full Version : Tornado Alley Rollergirls

RSA
12-15-2006, 07:49 PM
My wife is a member on one of the teams in our new roller derby league. I have seen data from other cities leagues and some of the impact on the surrounding area. Most of which is Dallas and the Twin Cities. It really seems to be popular in all the cities involved around the US. Where in OKC could this type of activity take place for a more permanent basis and how could it impact the city?
I think they should try to get with Grant Humphrey and his Downtown Airpark.

metro
12-15-2006, 10:10 PM
How many Rollergirls threads are on this site now? Honestly I think you're wasting your time with Grant Humphrey's and his newly aquired airpark. For one, it won't be built on for several years. Secondly, they are looking for a multi-use facility such as condo tower/hotel/retail. Not sure how roller derby fits into the mix, and how it would draw enough revenue to make it a long term viable option for him. Roller derby is a fad and won't be long term popular and doesn't make business sense. I'm all for your Rollergirls and will try to go watch them when I can, but you have to be realistic. I've worked with Grant on other projects and don't see this being the best shot with his money. He's got too much bigger projects on his plate. Your best bet would be to shoot for a new roller skating/ derby rink to be built that is state of the art and not on such valuable land as the Oklahoma River.

redredwine
12-16-2006, 07:53 AM
OK I think that would be a total blast to be a Roller girl!!!!!!!!! I love to roller skate! sorry Metro that was TOTALLY not inline with what you were talking about, just think it sounds FUN!!!!! but then again I just want to go knock some women around!(Mom frustration)

redredwine
12-16-2006, 07:54 AM
P.S. I did not even know thier were ROLLERGIRL clubs here. I have seen 2 stickers in the last week that say support your local Roller girl..............is it new? the FAD?

RSA
12-16-2006, 08:44 AM
This is their first season. The first exhibition bout is 1-7-07

You should probably become one of the skaters. Check out Tornado Alley Rollergirls (http://www.tornadoalleyrollergirls.com)

Anyway, Dallas and the Twin Cities are packing their arenas. Hopefully OKC can do it too. By the way, Tulsa has a league as well.

redredwine
12-16-2006, 09:12 AM
ok first of all they all look about 25!! or younger, not that I look old, but I am NOT 25.............but I bet I could still do it. From the looksy of them they are all young and love tattoos (I have one myself), but they look like alot of fun!

metro
12-16-2006, 10:58 AM
OK I think that would be a total blast to be a Roller girl!!!!!!!!! I love to roller skate! sorry Metro that was TOTALLY not inline with what you were talking about, just think it sounds FUN!!!!! but then again I just want to go knock some women around!(Mom frustration)

No problem redredwine. I too think it sounds fun and will definitely go watch a match or two. I don't doubt that. I know my thread sounds a little harsh but it was realistic in my opinion. I know Grant Humphrey's and are currently working with him on a project. Even if I didn't know him, I know his time and money are far more valuable and has more lucrative things to offer than supporting a trend or fad that won't be a long term money maker. He can make millions off the land (airpark) that was mentioned with a development. I don't see him making millions year after year with a roller derby team. That's just my honest opinion. But you really should join if your up for it. Don't worry about your age. Your young at heart I'm sure!

RSA
12-16-2006, 01:21 PM
ok first of all they all look about 25!! or younger, not that I look old, but I am NOT 25.............but I bet I could still do it.

My wife is 39 and she is doing just fine and only has non visible tattoos. We have three boys and I'm sure you probably need a outlet for stress as does my wife. The age range is 21 -40ish. If you can skate, I say go for it.

I know his time and money are far more valuable and has more lucrative things to offer than supporting a trend or fad that won't be a long term money maker. He can make millions off the land (airpark) that was mentioned with a development

The reason I mentioned the airpark is because they are about 2 years out from any real development. During this time, Grant could be making some sort of return on his investment while a more permanant location, for the rollergirls is, is worked out. Just an idea.

RSA

redredwine
12-16-2006, 02:13 PM
I can skate and do tricks! BUT...........5 years ago I had ACL reconstructive surgery (indoor soccer) and I am leary of that knee. When I play Volleyball and I step out of my boundaries and have no brace on it sometimes pops out of place. I remember going skating EVERY weekend, I can skate backwards really fast..............ok now I want to go to Rockin Roller rink.

redredwine
12-16-2006, 02:13 PM
Young at heart...........yes.........WAY to young.

RSA
12-16-2006, 02:58 PM
If you had ACL reconstruction, you should be able to skate faster now. I say go for it...

smacketyanne
12-25-2006, 07:12 PM
I think you should check out a practice Red red wine. E-mail them at contact@tornadoalleyrollergirls.org. Tell them you are interested and they will give you all the info you need. You can check out the teams Sunday, Jan. 7th at our very first bout. The DRBYTAUNT BRAWL at Rockin'Roller Rink in Edmond. Doors open at 6, derby starts at 7, and Oh! Johnny Girls are the half time show.
We also have volunteer docs and EMT's at practices that will help you if you have questions about your knee. Hope to see ya soon.

smacketyanne
12-25-2006, 07:13 PM
That would be DERBYTAUNT BRAWL.

michelle138
03-26-2007, 08:04 PM
hey!!!! smaketyanne, its ms. hell!!!!

RSA
03-26-2007, 08:47 PM
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/145/420700111_8d4aa97c4b_o.jpg

Just so everybody can associate a name with a face.:)

michelle138
04-23-2007, 04:03 PM
ok first of all they all look about 25!! or younger, not that I look old, but I am NOT 25.............but I bet I could still do it. From the looksy of them they are all young and love tattoos (I have one myself), but they look like alot of fun!

ages range from 22 (me being the youngest) to 50!!