View Full Version : Dan McGuiness Irish Pub in Moore

Easy180
12-14-2006, 03:19 PM
Went there last night and have to say I was pretty impressed...It has a restaurant side separate from the bar so families can go there just to eat...Was wondering why they had a child's menu on their website!

Large bar area and had a good selection of draught beers and the food was excellent....Had beef medallions cooked in Guiness beer with great mashed potatoes and cole slaw....Definitely not your typical bar food

Finally a real bar in Moore

HFK
12-14-2006, 07:32 PM
Drove by on my way home, rolled eyes at name... "Dan" as in "Danny Boy" (http://www.ireland-information.com/irishmusic/dannyboy.shtml), 'Mc" as in, well, you know, and "Guiness" as in "Guinness" (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guinness), minus an 'n' (potential licensing issue?). Just for insurance, for those that miss the less than subtle Irish references, they tag on "Irish". I was surprised that "Authentic" didn't make it into the name...

But I suppose that beggars can't be choosers... Based on your review, I'll have to check it out. Thanks for letting us know that the place is better than it's name.

chrisok
12-15-2006, 09:56 AM
Actually they do spell it McGuinness.
It's a nice place.

Easy180
12-15-2006, 09:56 AM
Guess you are right HFK ....Pretty lame name now that I think of it

Either way definitely try it out

johnnyboyokc
12-16-2006, 12:12 AM
coming from a south sider from the north anything is a good thing

Beau Geste
01-05-2007, 09:55 PM
I've been in several times now. The service has been great all but one time. The staff is really trying hard to make it a place where folks want to become "regulars".
Food is good. The Fish and Chips is very good. Shepard's Pie is a bit bland but it normally is a bland dish. The Scotch Eggs are good.

One of their special drinks is the "Snakebite". Half Guinness Ale and half hard cider.
Not for the timid.

You can take kids into the bar section until about 8:30. My kids are mid-teens so we drop in and get a bit to eat, a brew for me and watch the game. Bar area is well ventilated so the smoking isn't a problem.

Ginkasa
01-07-2007, 11:47 PM
Where is this, exactly? I meant to go this afternoon, but wasn't able to find it...

Easy180
01-08-2007, 09:34 AM
It is on SW 19th in Moore...Go West past Walmart on 19th and it is on the north side of the street in a strip center directly across from the golf course

Ginkasa
01-08-2007, 11:30 AM
Oh, I thought it was around in that general area, but I just assumed it was in the Riverwalk plaza. I looked for it in there, but couldn't find it, so we just went to Berkley's instead (which, BTW, was very mediocre, and extremely empty for lunch time).

Thanks.

johnnyboyokc
01-09-2007, 02:12 AM
I WILL NOT READ ANY POSTS ABOUT THIS PLACE, but i will tell you i grew up on the southside and this is what we need, something a little bit above the cross eyed, never been to dans but from what i hear this is what we need so keep it up i will be there in a few

soonergirl
03-12-2007, 02:48 PM
Stopped in here Sunday for lunch - the food was great! Each booth in the restaurant section has its own little flat screen TV.

Oh GAWD the Smell!
04-27-2007, 03:14 PM
I ate lunch in there this afternoon, had the "Irish Stew".

It was pretty damn good, as was the tasty Amber I was sipping on as well. REALLY good for bar food.

There was a LOT of it too...I'm stuffed.

bvilleokie
04-27-2007, 07:30 PM
I talked to the owner of the Pub when they had just started to build. He showed me some of the furnishing they had shipped in from Tennessee such as the drop leaf tables, some of the light fixtures and the bar. Apparently they are quite old and certainly quite beautiful. I have not gone in there since it opened but I have heard nothing but good from everyone who has.

Easy180
04-27-2007, 07:36 PM
Every single person I have brought there has loved it...If you are a sausage fan the bangers and mash is the best meal in the place

Wish they had a better selection of beers ala Old Chicago...If they did the place would be completely perfect...Great having it a 1/2 mile away!

Oh GAWD the Smell!
04-28-2007, 05:56 AM
Every single person I have brought there has loved it...If you are a sausage fan the bangers and mash is the best meal in the place

Wish they had a better selection of beers ala Old Chicago...If they did the place would be completely perfect...Great having it a 1/2 mile away!

I was VERY close to ordering that, but the stew won out at the last second. I'll have to try it next time.

And after living in San Diego for 7 years, Denver for a few after that, then moving back here...99% of every place here has a crappy beer selection. Tapwerks and Old Chicago are about it for decent selections as far as I know.

punkrocktuba
05-15-2007, 11:32 PM
I think im going to try and hit this place up this weekend, it sounds pretty awesome. Ive driven by it a few times just never actually decided to go in.

kevinpate
05-16-2007, 06:45 PM
I didn't used to pass through Moore real often, but now that I do, I gotta admit, that stew sounds like it's worth a stop

Easy180
05-16-2007, 07:16 PM
Just got back from McGuinness....Beef McGuinness still rules...They have slowed down considerably from their opening which is completely understandable...Great food as always

Need to increase their beers on tap and turn off that annoying Irish music to make it even better :band:

Oh GAWD the Smell!
05-16-2007, 07:18 PM
I didn't used to pass through Moore real often, but now that I do, I gotta admit, that stew sounds like it's worth a stop

Seriously...it looks like something the cat left in the corner. But it's one of the better meals I've eaten recently. Evidently...Lamb does well in stew.

CS_Mike
05-17-2007, 09:20 AM
I don't really see an issue with the beers that they have on tap. It's an American-ized Irish Pub attempting to resemble an authentic Irish pub. From what I understand, typical pubs in Ireland usually only have a few beers on tap, typically one stout, one ale, and one lager. Dan McGuinness has that (Guiness, Smithwicks, and Harp), a couple of house beers, a hard cider, and maybe a couple of domestics? So I like to think of it as being somewhat "authentic". Basically, one choice from each major category. That's why locals in Ireland don't typically request a pint of Guiness or a pint of Murphy's. They just ask for a pint of stout, and they are served what's available.

I don't think people should be disappointed when they walk into an Irish pub and and actually get what one would normally expect in a typical Irish pub. If the owners wanted a bar with 50+ beers on tap, they probably would've opted for a bar concept other than an Irish pub.

Of course, if they owners really cared about authenticity, they'd inform their staff that the "w" in Smithwicks is silent!

kmf563
05-17-2007, 09:35 AM
Fair warning for those of you that haven't eaten there yet...they put shoe string potatoes in their salad. I personally don't want potato chip flavored thingys in my salad. Also, Wednesday night (I think it's this night) is KATT night. And they have live music on the weekends. Not my choice in music, but they have it.

Eh, it's another pub. You've seen one, you've seen them all. But this area needed something like this to balance out the moose and the BWW crowd. I live north, so I don't frequent very often but I have visited all above a couple of times.

Easy180
05-17-2007, 09:36 AM
All valid points

Only beers I really like in their tap lineup is the Smithwicks and the Sam Adams Winter Ale

It is a pretty good selection now that I think about it...Just wish they had a couple more that I could switch off to when I get bored of the Smithwicks

They do have a pretty good selection of bottles as well so I think I may stop complaining right about now

SoonerGirl26
05-18-2007, 07:54 AM
I was there Wednesday night (16th) too. Sat out on the patio which was nice--NOW.....might be a little steamy when it gets hotter this summer and nothing to block the sun from the west. But very pleasant...not so smokey. I talked to the owner, he said he might add an arbor to the patio to give it some shade, but he might not do it until next year. I noticed a lot of people there (after work crowd) that used to frequent the Moose.

One of the best items on the menu--the reuben sandwich. And I did notice the shoestring potato chips in my salad too. Different, but pretty tasty!

Oh GAWD the Smell!
06-08-2007, 04:17 AM
I'm thinking I'm going to have myself some Bangers and Mash in there this afternoon.

rugbybrado
06-27-2007, 06:55 AM
I work live in moore and work in norman, some people here were talking about how good this place was. were going to go check it out this thursday.

rugbybrado
06-27-2007, 06:57 AM
Dan McGuinness - Moore (http://www.danmcguinnesspub.com/moore/)

Oh GAWD the Smell!
06-27-2007, 07:11 AM
I ate there again last night, good stuff, good stuff. I had the "house" amber, and it was very tasty. It was the first time I've been there and eaten in the restaurant proper instead of the bar. I think the individual TV's with the ability to change your channel is pretty neat. Even if it detracts a bit from the whole traditional Irish thing.

My date had (and made me try) some fried pickles. Ew.

And how in the HECK does a place "run out" of Bangers & Mash?

rugbybrado
06-28-2007, 08:42 AM
And how in the HECK does a place "run out" of Bangers & Mash?

I went last night with my g/f..both really like the place. We ate in the restraunt just because they were getting ready to play in the other room. Our waitress was decent, the food was good( i had the buffalo chicken strips) because they were still out of the bangers and mash!

My g/f had the regular chicken strips and they were pretty good as well. We both had the house beer(drafts, i think 2.50) and we were surprised when the bill came how cheap it was. Great place, i deff. plan on going back to drink on the bar side and just for a nice dinner (when they get in some more bangers, i asked and i guess its a supply problem they are having).

Oh GAWD the Smell!
06-28-2007, 08:52 AM
Yeah, I went there for lunch again yesterday and asked about it...Evidently, they actually import the "bangers"...So it's not something that they can run down to WalMart and pick up in a pinch. That kind of impressed me.

The guy at the bar next to me said that their fish sandwich was about as perfect as a fish sandwich gets. Personally, I find the very idea of fish on a sandwich to be a puker, but to each his own and I thought I'd pass that along :D

He also suggested a couple of beers that I bought on the way home, and DAMN. Red Tail makes some tasty brew.

Oh GAWD the Smell!
07-11-2007, 01:37 PM
Finally got the Bangers and Mash.

DAMN good stuff right there. That onion gravy is tasty!

Easy180
07-11-2007, 01:46 PM
Worth the wait huh??

That's some bad mother (Shut your mouth)

sausage right there

3,000 calories of goodness washed down with another 2,000 for the Smithwicks :Smiley051

Oh GAWD the Smell!
07-11-2007, 02:44 PM
Now why did you have to go and tell me how many calories I took in?

And I took in a LOT of Smithwick's yesterday. :D

rugbybrado
07-27-2007, 06:47 AM
to anyone who hasnt been yet, i really recommend checking out this place. its alot of fun, good staff, good food, good beer...cant really go wrong.

flintysooner
08-04-2007, 09:07 AM
I finally visited Dan McGuiness yesterday for lunch. I think it was a little after 1 and there was one booth in the restaurant part plus a large table. We took the booth. I liked the little TV in the booth. I had the fish and chips and enjoyed it very much. It's a very nice place and the entire staff was friendly and competent. Food was good. Definitely a place I will recommend and patronize.

Dave Cook
08-04-2007, 10:39 AM
This is a decent place.

My only complaint is that they charge you to enter I believe on Friday and Saturday nights. I can understand charging $5 for the bar, but we were charged $5 each to just come in and eat in the diner.

Afterwards, we asked ourselves....why did we just pay $20 just for the right to come in and be seated? Not one of our brightest moves.

Oh GAWD the Smell!
08-04-2007, 07:17 PM
What the heck?

That's retarded!

rugbybrado
08-06-2007, 06:15 AM
This is a decent place.

My only complaint is that they charge you to enter I believe on Friday and Saturday nights. I can understand charging $5 for the bar, but we were charged $5 each to just come in and eat in the diner.

Afterwards, we asked ourselves....why did we just pay $20 just for the right to come in and be seated? Not one of our brightest moves.

really? you were charged to eat in the 'restraunt part" ??

we went on friday night once and set in the restraunt part and werent charged anything. i can understand if you are sitting in the bar and get charged for the show, but not the restraunt part....

EDIT - There was a show getting ready to start the night we went in, sounds like the people working the night you went in werent too bright if they charged you for the restraunt part.

flintysooner
08-06-2007, 07:03 AM
They have a web site and a contact us page (http://www.danmcguinnesspub.com/moore/contact.php) but I will ask them next time I can get by. That seems wrong.

kmf563
08-06-2007, 07:15 AM
They had a new guy at the door for a while, not too bright of a fellow. You probably were there on one of his nights. I had to tell him Wednesday night was ladies night, which means we don't pay. He still tried to make me pay. You definitely don't have to pay a cover for the dining side, ever.

Oh GAWD the Smell!
08-06-2007, 01:23 PM
I just got back from there. I had the fish sandwich. I don't know why I got that, as I've never really liked fish.

HOLE. E. CRAP.

That was a good sammish.

Especially when washed down with a couple of Smithwick's on this hot day.

rugbybrado
08-06-2007, 01:35 PM
Especially when washed down with a couple of Smithwick's on this hot day.

Im starting to think either you have no job, or you have the best job in the world..you've posted about drinking during the day before...

Im jelous.

Oh GAWD the Smell!
08-06-2007, 01:40 PM
Im starting to think either you have no job, or you have the best job in the world..you've posted about drinking during the day before...

Im jelous.

lol

I get off work at 8 in the morning, and my weekend is Tues/Wed. In other words, when I got off at 8 this morning...My weekend started. Right now (2:30 PM, Monday) for me is like 10-11pm Friday night for most folks. So I wouldn't exactly call it the "best" job.

But the paychecks are decent, and I'll keep showing up as long as they keep writing them. I'm funny like that :D

ad47aw
08-18-2007, 05:53 PM
I know they'r packed on Friday nights. Can't wait to go.

ad47aw
10-19-2007, 10:38 PM
Had the shepherd's pie-really good with generous portions.

Oh GAWD the Smell!
10-20-2007, 03:55 AM
Yes, yes it is.

I've not been there in quite some time...I need to get back for some more Bangers and Mash and some "Smitticks".