View Full Version : Here we go again... "Where to Meet Men"?

Tracy
12-13-2006, 10:09 PM
Some suggestions people have given in the past:

1.) Volunteer! Animal shelters, political campaigns, reading time at the library...

These are great places to meet singles... if you're a lesbian. That's because these activities are overrun by single women who have been told that it's a great place to meet men. Too bad nobody told the single MEN this little factoid.

2.) Meet through friends!

But what if your friends don't know anyone who is single and "acceptable" (and by acceptable, I mean "not a jerk" - you would be surprised at how many of my friends have said that they can't introduce me to a certain man because he's a jerk)?

3.) Online dating!

HMROO? I have ads on Match, Yahoo, Plentyoffish and other sites. Aside from the plethora of married men, bi-curious housewives and Nigerian princes who are inexplicably drawn to my feminine aura like flies on peanut butter, I haven't found anyone out there who can get past two or three emails. They all seem to disappear right after they ask for my phone number - they don't even bother to use it.

So, I'm open to suggestions. Where else can you meet single men? Where do you guys hang out?

js2004
12-13-2006, 10:22 PM
I joined plenty of fish about a month ago myself because a friend refered me and told me it was the only free one but as of yet I havn't gotten any solid leads for whatever reason so I kinda of lost interest in that. Interesting what you say about volenteering at animal shelters. I've never heard that one before?

Leon
12-14-2006, 08:09 PM
I can't say for sure but you're probably getting more hits than you realize. IMHO the days of the corny pick-up line are gone.

When the guy behind you grocery line asks how you're doing, that's could be a hit. Respond in kind and he'll ask another question.

Don't give a one-word response; a one-word response means not to pursue conversation. It at least signals they guy that he'll have to carry a conversation all by himself.

dirtrider73068
12-14-2006, 09:58 PM
I have tried all the free online dateing site, and the most I got was ads to see there info at some other site. Most of the free dateing sites are a draw in for other websites to get you join them, or what I call fake respones. I am sure there are places out there, bars, clubs, or a hobby club. I have tried to get out to meet people even if just for a freindship but haven't had much luck, but with just buying my first house I will keep myself busy doing things around my new house.

Tracy
12-14-2006, 10:04 PM
I can't say for sure but you're probably getting more hits than you realize. IMHO the days of the corny pick-up line are gone.

When the guy behind you grocery line asks how you're doing, that's could be a hit. Respond in kind and he'll ask another question.

Don't give a one-word response; a one-word response means not to pursue conversation. It at least signals they guy that he'll have to carry a conversation all by himself.

I have never really had that happen, to be honest. Or rather, what I should say is, if they did ask how I'm doing, I would say more than one or two words ;) And then it just kind of....falls apart.

It's strange. I have even initiated contact online, thinking maybe men like it when a woman makes the first move. I can honestly say that I have NEVER had a man reply, if even to say, "Go away, skank" or whatever. There's just no response at ALL. Same thing with men who ask for your phone number, then never use it.

And, yes, I know that men go through the same thing. I'm fully aware of it... and no, I don't think it's right.

mn4144133
12-16-2006, 05:51 PM
I am usually sitting home alone on a saturday night, just like now. In fact, I was wondering where to meet single women. Maybe we should just have a singles party or something.

StephiOKC
12-17-2006, 06:20 AM
I am usually sitting home alone on a saturday night, just like now. In fact, I was wondering where to meet single women. Maybe we should just have a singles party or something.

I had posted that people could meet a Bakers Street on Dec 29th at 6:30 it will be the last Friday of 2006. Come and brings friends or show up and meet new ones!
I know 2 woman that will be there...maybe more. We just dont know where all the men are!! :tiphat:

Karried
12-17-2006, 09:43 AM
'Usually sitting home on a Saturday night'? Meeting someone is not gonna happen that way.

With over 40K people out this Saturday night in (river and Bricktown), you might have found one single person to talk to last night ..

You'll have to get out there.. easier said than done I know.. but it's worth a shot and you would have probably had a great time regardless of meeting someone.

StephiOKC
12-17-2006, 09:50 AM
I have a question for the single men that do go out.........where do single men go? What are some things you enjoy doing with friends on a Saturday afternoon?

windowphobe
12-17-2006, 04:05 PM
Saturday afternoon? I do the shopping, take care of the yard work (in season), and if something's grabbed my attention, I'll set aside time for a movie or a play. (I have a season pass to CityRep, for instance.)

Leon
12-17-2006, 06:02 PM
I have a question for the single men that do go out.........where do single men go? What are some things you enjoy doing with friends on a Saturday afternoon?

Before I had a steady date Saturdays were something like this:

If I was completely alone and going out, shower around 7:00, get dressed, go to Outback (or other decent restaurant) for dinner, eat at the restaurant's bar that's where the singles are. Head to a club, one or two beers, head to another club, one or two beers.

If with friends, anything goes. Whatever the group wanted to do.

Both resulted in absolutely zero dates!

Background note: Just before I met Girlfriend, I had made a conscious decision not to look for a woman any more....the singles websites didn't work, singles groups didn't work, singles bars didn't work, speed dating didn't work. I was perfectly OK with myself but obviously not what women were generally looking for. My intent was to just absorb myself into work and hobbies and not even think about an S.O. anymore.

I say this because maybe there are a lot of singles who haven't "given up" but just are tired of cleaning up and going out just to hear themselve's think. You won't find them at a social event unless with a group.

If I were dateless now, I'd only ever be seen at work, Crest, Wal-Mart, and Home Depot...had enough of spending time and money to come home late and without even a phone number. Clubs don't work unless you're a "10". Been there, done that...

Tracy
12-20-2006, 10:01 PM
So, I'm curious... where did you meet your girlfriend?

Leon
12-20-2006, 11:19 PM
So, I'm curious... where did you meet your girlfriend?

Yahoo Personals.

I had bought a six month subscription and 4 1/2 months into it I threw up my hands and thought "What crap this internet dating BS is!!! I won't renew my subscription."

So I have some mixed feelings about online personals. It is extremely frustrating but I did find her there. :)

It less frustrating than going out and coming home without meeting anyone though.

Tracy
12-22-2006, 11:58 AM
So, it was a situation where initially you were looking for it and then gave up later? Why did you leave your ad up even after deciding that online dating is not for you? Ads can be hidden or even removed if you don't want to take part anymore (I'm not trying to pick a fight, I'm just really curious).

I'm embarrassed to say this, but I have an ad on Yahoo, Plentyoffish.com AND Match.com. I consider myself lucky if I get 2 messages from all three of them combined in any given month, and the vast majority of those messages are from married men, the mentally unstable, or men who are just plain jerky. Oh, and I've gotten replies from a couple of lesbians too.

It's humiliating. I'm not ugly or gross. I'm nice, honest, independent, reasonably intelligent and I show real interest in people when I correspond with them because it's the polite thing to do (and because I think people are interesting anyway). My ad isn't sappy, heavy-handed, man-bashing or pleading for rescue. Yet, for some reason, I go virtually ignored. I send out messages and get no reply... I "wink" and get no winks in return.

People think that, if you're a single female, you automatically have an advantage in online dating. That's simply not the case. I've had men ask for my phone number and then never use it... a lot of guys LOOK at my ad, but don't write. Why?

Karried
12-22-2006, 04:35 PM
Oh my goodness... I was at Bass Pro today and before you scoff.. that place was crawling with men! And some were very cute! Honestly, I don't think I've seen that many unattached men browsing around.. girls, time to buy your fishing pole and go get your catch! lol

Tracy
12-22-2006, 05:18 PM
Yeah, but how many of those men were single?

dirtrider73068
12-22-2006, 05:21 PM
If they were at bass pro to get fishing and hunting stuff bet they all are single :) jk

Karried
12-22-2006, 06:07 PM
Tracy, the only way to get that info is to go up and talk to them! I'm married so that wouldn't have been appropriate.. I was checking out the scene for a few of our available singles on here!

None of them were with women.. so that's a good sign!

rxis
12-22-2006, 11:42 PM
Aw cmon. Its not that hard to at least met people. :ou2

Tracy
12-22-2006, 11:55 PM
Tracy, the only way to get that info is to go up and talk to them! I'm married so that wouldn't have been appropriate.. I was checking out the scene for a few of our available singles on here!

None of them were with women.. so that's a good sign!

Not necessarily... the "little ladies" might be at home doing women's work... ya know, cleanin' those fish and skinnin' dem bucks. Wimmen work.

StephiOKC
12-23-2006, 10:49 AM
Yes you are right xris, its not hard to meet people, but we are trying to meet SINGLE stable men. That is hard.

Leon
12-26-2006, 12:17 AM
So, it was a situation where initially you were looking for it and then gave up later? Why did you leave your ad up even after deciding that online dating is not for you? Ads can be hidden or even removed if you don't want to take part anymore (I'm not trying to pick a fight, I'm just really curious).

I had paid for it already....but I did deactivate the account well before the subscription ended.

I'm embarrassed to say this, but I have an ad on Yahoo, Plentyoffish.com AND Match.com. I consider myself lucky if I get 2 messages from all three of them combined in any given month, and the vast majority of those messages are from married men, the mentally unstable, or men who are just plain jerky. Oh, and I've gotten replies from a couple of lesbians too.

About twice a month I'd receive an unsolicited Yahoo-canned "wink" message from a female circus act.

It's humiliating. I'm not ugly or gross. I'm nice, honest, independent, reasonably intelligent and I show real interest in people when I correspond with them because it's the polite thing to do (and because I think people are interesting anyway). My ad isn't sappy, heavy-handed, man-bashing or pleading for rescue. Yet, for some reason, I go virtually ignored. I send out messages and get no reply... I "wink" and get no winks in return.

Expect to send 100 winks and get one or two winks in reply. Remember, the average person there THINKS they are so much better than they actually are.

People think that, if you're a single female, you automatically have an advantage in online dating. That's simply not the case. I've had men ask for my phone number and then never use it... a lot of guys LOOK at my ad, but don't write. Why?

Tracy, without knowing the number of responses you get, you can safely assume it more, in number, than the fellas get.

Tracy
12-26-2006, 09:10 AM
(doing best Bill Lundberg impression)

Uh, yeah... I'm gonna have to go ahead and.... disagree with you on that. Yeeeaaaaaaahhhhhh.....

Let's use this previous month as an example. I got one response on Match.com. One. He was someone that I had corresponded with a month or so earlier, but he disappeared. I assume he had a better offer, then came back when it didn't pan out. He asked for my number, I gave it. That was the beginning of December. I haven't heard from him since then. I don't have his number, and I'm not going to become a cyberstalker trying to get him to proceed.

I got one response on Yahoo... a wink from a 55-year old man in Michigan. Right. OK.

I haven't received any responses from anyone on Plentyofffish, although I did correspond with two guys last month. Both asked for my phone number... I gave it to them... then they disappeared off the face of the earth.

If it's worse than this for men, hats off to you, because I would have just found a place to hide by now.

Leon
12-26-2006, 10:44 AM
Well think, about this:

Let's say a single person visits a single's web site every other day and does a search for potential matches. 99% of the faces and profiles that are there were there yesterday, the day before, the day before, the day before, etc. And for the most part, the same faces pop up in the same order every day.

My point: your profile only actually gets opened by new people and those local ones are only a very few per week.

Try changing your picture every week, but don't change it if it's working well. And don't buy a subscription for longer than a month unless that one is working well...move from site to site; new faces get noticed and next time around, you'll be a new face again.

Tracy
12-26-2006, 12:00 PM
Well, it's too late to go month by month on Match.com. I've already paid for a six-month subscription that's halfway finished. Obviously, my picture (or anything else on my ad) isn't working well, because if it was, I would be getting more than one response a month.

But I'll keep what you said in mind. Thanks.

jim1956
12-31-2006, 09:23 PM
Being new in town, I was going to ask where the single women hang out. But now it looks like the single men and women don't hang out anywhere.

Is there any hope we will all find each other somewhere other than online?

Karried
01-01-2007, 08:42 AM
Jim, Welcome to OKC !

I know a lot of people that hang out at Friends on Memorial Road - West of May - behind the Sonic I believe .. it's not a 'meat market' atmosphere with a lot of 20 year olds running around but it is a nice place to hear live music and there is a lot of dancing.

With Spring right around the corner, opportunities will be plentiful to get out and meet new people.

Tracy
01-01-2007, 08:42 AM
Well, StephiOKC tried setting up a singles' get-together at Baker's Street last Friday night, and nobody showed up. But maybe we'll try again.

Beau Geste
01-05-2007, 10:21 PM
You might try volunteering for Big Brothers/Big Sisters.
I was a volunteer with them for 2.5 years. When I joined up and was interviewed they did a very through back ground check. Criminal record and all that.

They would have two types of social events. One type was where you brought your Little Brother/Little Sister to group event like a hay ride or a sporting event.

The other events would just be for the adult volunteers.
The ratio of men to women would be about even. Most everyone there would be genuine, honest folks not into head games or crud like that.

Give it a shot.

Easy180
01-06-2007, 09:12 AM
Well, StephiOKC tried setting up a singles' get-together at Baker's Street last Friday night, and nobody showed up. But maybe we'll try again.

I was wondering how that turned out...But knowing Baker's Street there were plenty of other non OKCTalk singles out there...Hope you two had a good time anyway

Karried
01-06-2007, 09:19 AM
You might try volunteering for Big Brothers/Big Sisters.

What a fantastic idea..

Big Brothers Big Sisters of Greater Oklahoma City: How to Volunteer (http://www.bbbsokc.org/volunteer.asp)

StephiOKC
01-06-2007, 09:36 AM
I was wondering how that turned out...But knowing Baker's Street there were plenty of other non OKCTalk singles out there...Hope you two had a good time anyway

Yes we had a great time! I was not expecting anyone from OKCTalk to show up....there is really not any singles here, the ones that are on here, not to be negative...I can see that they have no real desire to meet someone. That might entail shutting off the computer and actually meeting real people. Cyberworld has taken over peoples lives. :kicking:

Dave Cook
01-06-2007, 01:28 PM
Yeah...but...have you seen the hot women that live in the Cyberworld! :wink: