View Full Version : City buys two water taxis for OK River

Pete
12-13-2006, 08:20 PM
City authority agrees to buy boats
By The Associated Press

OKLAHOMA CITY - The Oklahoma City Riverfront Redevelopment Authority will buy two water taxi ferries from a New York company for about $900,000 each for use on the Oklahoma River.

The water taxi project has been in development for more than a year.

Initial plans focus on establishing river taxi routes between two terminals or docks, one at the Bricktown Canals intersection with the river, adjacent to the Chesapeake Boathouse, and another just east of Meridian Avenue, a few miles north of Will Rogers World Airport.

Other water taxi terminals are likely to be built at the Stockyards District, near the state fairgrounds and the American Indian Cultural Center. Officials have said the boat terminals will be supported by street trolley service to expand traveler access through the city's core.

The boats, which will hold 49 passenger, will be purchased from Scarano Boatbuilding Inc. of New York.

Alan Sims, director of convention sales at the Oklahoma City Visitors and Convention Bureau, said the organization is eager to promote the river routes.

"This is another big step in the development of Oklahoma City, making us a viable destination for meetings and conventions," Sims said.

"Once the boats are in place, it immediately makes us more attractive, certainly to the larger groups that need to use the downtown area and the Meridian corridor. They'll now have a fun way to get from one area to another. It's going to be a great benefit."

Kerry
12-13-2006, 09:27 PM
You know it is kind of funny - we will have ferry service in Oklahoma City before we will have rail service. Actually with the canal boats I guess we already have ferry service. Who would of thought in a state effected by the dust bowl we would have water based mass transit before rail transit.

BDP
12-14-2006, 10:01 AM
That is kind of funny, Kerry. It seem we embrace novelty before practicality. :)

metro
12-14-2006, 01:59 PM
Not to mention that we once had light rail and street trolley's and we were so stupid to let them go.

BG918
12-14-2006, 02:14 PM
^ But the vast majority of U.S. cities were "so stupid" when GM/Standard Oil bought up all the streetcar companies to promote the automobile, one of the most corrupt corporate sabotages in history. I think this city will have rail in the next 10 years, we are at the point right now where people and city leaders are seriously talking about it and the next step will be a vote then construction. Good to see the ferries on the river though. That river really needs some more landscaping though, it's pretty bare as it is now.

BailJumper
12-14-2006, 02:48 PM
I like the ferry idea, but see it more as a novelty than practical. As much as I see rail falling on its face, I think the ferry will make it and I'd even consider riding it.

TStheThird
12-14-2006, 03:19 PM
Instead of light rail and water taxis, we should invest in some of these bad boys. I think my boy BailJumper will agree with me. Can I get an amen!

http://www.ridetheducks.com/images/corporate/rtd_corporate_mp_location_photo.jpg

BailJumper
12-14-2006, 06:26 PM
Oooooooo Yeahhhhhhhh!

metro
12-14-2006, 07:38 PM
Yeah those would be cool too.

BailJumper
12-15-2006, 05:29 AM
Could you imagine one of those coming down the river and just went you think it's gonna dock at the boat house it just drives right on up the ramp and in to Bricktown! Let's see a trolley or train do that!

Okay, you found my weakness, turn your urban renewal project into a gimmick with toys and the guy in me comes out and I'm all over it!

Karried
12-15-2006, 07:22 AM
At least we didn't buy a Submarine or a glass bottom boat for tropical fish tours - lol

floater
12-15-2006, 09:12 AM
Instead of light rail and water taxis, we should invest in some of these bad boys. I think my boy BailJumper will agree with me. Can I get an amen!

http://www.ridetheducks.com/images/corporate/rtd_corporate_mp_location_photo.jpg

Instead of Ben Franklin, the guide would have to be Will Rogers.

Kerry
12-15-2006, 08:45 PM
At least we didn't buy a Submarine or a glass bottom boat for tropical fish tours - lol

Now a submarine would be cool. Much better than boats. I would actually pay for that. Wonder if it would possible to relocate some kind of naval vessel to the river. It would have to be be moved to OKC in pieces but would make a neat tourist stop.