View Full Version : Okla. Shakespeare in the Park to Take New stage Downtown

Keith
12-13-2006, 07:58 PM
Local theatre group will move to Myriad Botanical Gardens in 2007 after $400,000 water stage renovation.

The Myriad Botanical Garden, whose acres of flowers transform themselves with each turning season, will undergo a radical transformation of its own with today’s announcement that local theatre company Oklahoma Shakespeare in the Park (OSP) will make the Gardens’ popular water stage its new performance home.

The Oklahoma City Council unanimously approved a three-year lease allowing OSP to stage productions from the Water Stage starting in June 2007.

A press conference announcing the new lease agreement was held at the Myriad Botanical Gardens at 1 p.m. December 12. Oklahoma City Mayor Mick Cornett, Myriad Gardens Authority Chairman Jim Tolbert and David Holt, board president of Oklahoma Shakespeare in the Park, all commented about the new opportunity to bring the classical theatre company downtown.

“This development shows that success breeds more success,” said Mayor Cornett. “This is part of creating a living downtown, where citizens live, work and play. I can think of no greater image to show what downtown has become than to picture thousands of Oklahomans enjoying live theater in the middle of a beautiful garden, with the downtown skyline as a backdrop.”

The lease agreement between the City and OSP was made in part because of work already being conducted by the Myriad Gardens Foundation to oversee a multi-phase fundraising project to improve the Gardens’ popular water stage. Improvements to the water stage, including doubling the seating capacity, improved seating quality, controlled access for ticketing, concessions and dramatic fabric covers for the stage and audience, are projected to cost $1.9 million. Project funds will be raised privately.

The first phase of the project is an immediate $400,000 renovation of the water stage, including new electrical and sound systems, new stage structures, dressing rooms and enhanced seating in the existing stage area. The Foundation intends to have the first portion of the fundraising campaign completed by late winter, in time to see the renovation completed for OSP’s season opener A Midsummer Night’s Dream in June 2007.

“We are truly excited to see this come to fruition,” said Dixie Jensen, executive director of the Myriad Gardens Foundation. “The renovation and enhancement of the Water Stage as a major performance venue is another major step in the growth and development of downtown Oklahoma City. Bringing Oklahoma Shakespeare in the Park to our gardens will not only bring new audiences, but will greatly enhance the overall downtown feel and experience.”

Since its inception 22 years ago, Oklahoma Shakespeare in the Park has called the City of Edmond’s Hafer Park its performance home. Vandalism in the form of two fires to the theatre company’s stage forced OSP’s Board of Directors to consider all options for a new permanent home. While the company performed successfully for two years at the University of Central Oklahoma, the Board sought an entirely new venue.

“This is a day that we celebrate OSP’s emergence, quite literally, from the ashes,” said David Holt, president of the OSP Board of Directors. “We could not be more excited about the opportunities that lie ahead for OSP in downtown Oklahoma City.”

Doug Loudenback
12-13-2006, 09:06 PM
This is nice! Can't wait to go!

BDP
12-14-2006, 10:03 AM
That is cool. It will be nice for that stage to have a regular tennant.

metro
12-14-2006, 02:07 PM
Good to hear about the renovations and the OSP moving. On another note, I heard a story from a reliable source the other day. Jim Tolbert (a huge supporter of Myriad Gardens) was eating at Soleil at the Colcord a few weeks ago with his wife. His wife mentioned the Gardens needing some updating and lights year round. Apparently he made a gift or is going to as well to the Gardens. I think I even read an article on it not too long after?

BailJumper
12-14-2006, 02:25 PM
I'd love to see regular 'lunch at the garden' productions in downtown.

I never understand why the MBG is so under utilized (in my opinion).

I love going to the farmer's market on Wednesdays and live music on Fridays downtown. I wish they'd do more of that in the MBG.

BDP
12-14-2006, 03:49 PM
100% agree BailJumper. I love eating in the park and if I worked downtown, I'd do it a lot more. I am surprised, though, that when I do eat there, I am usually alone.

metro
12-14-2006, 07:41 PM
Bailjumper, you should PM ksearls on this forum, she works for Downtown OKC Inc. which coordinates the Downtown Farmer's Market. I know she'd be open to hear your ideas.

BailJumper
12-15-2006, 05:12 AM
Cool, I'll try and put my ideas into something tangible and forward them on.

I often take my lunch (and a baggie full of Koi food) to the MBG at lunch. It is odd how empty it usually is. I sometimes convince a co-worker to go with me and more often then not they "wow, I've never thought to bring my lunch here and eat it."

SoonerDave
12-15-2006, 09:55 AM
While I'm sure from a broad view this is all a good thing, I must admit to a bit of melancholy about the move. When my wife and I were dating, we went to several SITP's at Hafer Park. It was such a nice, quiet setting...but after we got married and had our first kiddo, our (then) baby boy that first summer (about 4 mos old by then) didn't find it so interesting - to his credit, though, rather than crying, he just started giggling a lot to express his disinterest...

-sd

metro
04-19-2007, 07:34 AM
Hark! Gift sets stage for theater

By Steve Lackmeyer
Business Writer

A $250,000 gift announced Wednesday by Devon Energy will kick off a makeover of the Water Stage at the Myriad Gardens that will allow it to become the new home of Oklahoma Shakespeare in the Park.
The performing arts group announced its move last year, but organizers noted the Water Stage, which opened as part of the gardens in 1988, needed an overhaul.

Jim Tolbert, chairman emeritus of the Myriad Gardens Foundation, said Devon's gift was being matched by other contributors, allowing for construction to begin this spring on the first phase of improvements.

Those improvements, he said, will include a stage surface, lighting, electrical systems, seat backs, railing and bridges.

The most visible change will be a canopy over the stage that will be duplicated by a second retractable shade over the seating this fall.

"This is the jewel of downtown Oklahoma City,” Tolbert said.

"It is the most underutilized asset we have.”

Completed by June
Tolbert said the first phase, to be built by Smith and Pickel Construction, will begin after the 2007 Festival of the Arts and should be completed by the start of Oklahoma Shakespeare in the Park performances in June.
The second phase, which will double seating to 500, will begin in September.

The improvements are designed by architect Jim Loftis, whose work with the gardens dates back almost four decades.

Serve as inspiration
Larry Nichols, Devon's chairman and chief executive officer, said he hopes the donation will inspire others to contribute to the ongoing development of the gardens.
"Devon is proud to be involved in Oklahoma City's success,” he said. "We hope that our contribution to renovate the Water Stage will build upon the renaissance of downtown Oklahoma City and provide another unique experience for downtown visitors.”
Water Stage facts
•The Water Stage is known as a key performance area during the annual Festival of the Arts and has hosted the Arts Council's Twilight Concert series.
•In November, the Oklahoma City Council approved a three-year lease with Oklahoma Shakespeare in the Park for the performing arts troupe to hold summer plays on the Water Stage. The group previously performed for two decades at Edmond's Hafer Park.

•In 2006 Devon Energy's corporate giving totaled more than $10 million with beneficiaries including Allied Arts, Lyric Theater, Ballet Oklahoma, Oklahoma City Arts Council, Oklahoma City Museum of Art, the National Cowboy and Western Heritage Museum, Oklahoma City Philharmonic, United Way of Central Oklahoma, Oklahoma City National Memorial, Oklahoma City Memorial Marathon, Regional Food Bank of Oklahoma, Urban League of Greater Oklahoma City, Dean A. McGee Eye Institute, Oklahoma City Public Schools Foundation, Oklahoma Zoological Society, Downtown Oklahoma City Inc., Downtown YMCA and Oklahoma City University.

jbrown84
04-19-2007, 08:59 AM
Where will they put double the seating? Seems pretty locked in by walls surrounding all three sides.

JavaDaves
04-19-2007, 12:14 PM
I'm thrilled to finally see something moving from Edmond to Oklahoma City and not the other way around.

The Old Downtown Guy
06-25-2007, 04:44 PM
We attended OSP's Friday night modern dress presentation of A Mid-Summer Night's Dream in the comfortable surroundings of our unique central park, Myriad Garden. The 150 or so in attendance filled about half of the seats and a good time was had by all. The new lighting and sound system were a nice addition to another fine performance by the OSP troop's always solid regulars were accompanied by local students in some of the lesser roles. Their Thursday through Saturday shows will continue through the summer. Check it out.

TheBard
06-07-2008, 03:51 PM
Hark, all OKCTalkers. 'Tis time once again to Prepare Ye For a Lark! As summer nears, so does the performance season of Oklahoma Shakespeare in the Park.

Join us opening night on June 12 when we present the comedy Much Ado About Nothing. Show begins at 8:00 p.m.

Show dates are: June 12-14, 19-21, 26-28

So, grab your friends, and a fabulous picnic and come on down to the Myriad Gardens Water Stage for an evening with me - the Bard.

betts
06-08-2008, 08:37 AM
Excellent. That's something I don't want to miss. My husband and I went to see Richard the II at the Shakespeare festival in Boulder on our first date. Poor choice on my part.....he fell asleep. I may have to go without him this time. Maybe I'll take my daughter, although her first exposure to Shakespeare was in Stratford on Avon when she was 9. We went to see Much Ado About Nothing and she fell asleep. The apple doesn't fall far from the tree, I guess.

FritterGirl
06-10-2008, 08:32 PM
Ooh! I can't wait. I didn't get a chance to go last year (we had tickets for opening night, showed up and got rained out).

We used to go all the time when OSP was at Hafer Park in Edmond. It's always one of my favorite summer pastimes.

I think their other shows are The Three Musketeers and Richard III.
Maybe the sword fighting will keep everyone awake. Ha!

Mom and I saw Julius Ceasar in Stratford upon Avon when I was in high school. It started a life long appreciation for things Shakespeare!

jbrown84
06-12-2008, 12:08 PM
Here's a tip, betts.

In my experience, I had a much better viewing experience w/ a Shakespeare play once where they provided a somewhat detailed synopsis in the program. If you can find something like that (Sparknotes.com?), that might help your husband keep up. It helps a lot to know what's going on.

metro
06-12-2008, 12:08 PM
Much Ado About Nothing opens Shakespeare in the Park's summer season in Downtown OKC tonight!

Buy your tickets to Much Ado About Nothing today and join OSP under the open night sky in the heart of Downtown Oklahoma City at the Myriad Botanical Gardens Water Stage.

A favorite of Oklahoma Shakespeare in the Park's audiences, Much Ado About Nothing follows long time bachelors Benedick and Beatrice, played by Paul Stuart and Jennifer Farley, and the young lovers Claudio and Hero, played by Quinn Gasaway and Brooke Culbertson.

Buy Tickets Online NOW!
$10 for adults and $8 for students, seniors with ID. The tickets are available through OSP's new online ticket outlet (convenience charges may apply) and at the OSP's Box Office beginning at 7 p.m. each night of the performances.

For more information about Shakespeare in the Park, visit oklahomashakespeare.com/

Midtowner
06-12-2008, 12:14 PM
I walked by during a performance last night, looked like fun.

betts
06-22-2011, 11:11 PM
http://www.newsok.com/actors-return-to-myriad-gardens-stage-in-oklahoma-city/article/3579526?custom_click=headlines_widget

Last Wednesday we were walking through the park on our way to Joey's for dinner and we stopped to watch part of the production. It looked like great fun and I'm hoping to attend again soon. I noticed a lot of cars parked at the park tonight so I hope they got a good turnout.