View Full Version : ‘Huge’ project to bring condos, additional shopping

Pete
12-12-2006, 08:07 AM
Bricktown: ‘Huge’ project to bring condos, additional shopping
Key final canal spots sold

• With purchases on each side of waterway, newcomer plans a low-rise and a 12-story building.
By Steve Lackmeyer Business Writer

A relative newcomer to Bricktown is planning to build a housing and retail development on one of the last undeveloped corners of the Bricktown Canal.

Gary Cotton confirmed Monday he has closed on purchases of land on both sides of the canal south of the JDM Building and west of Mickey Mantle Drive.

“I’m adamant that some of it will be retail,” Cotton said. “The canal needs some retail. And there will be some condos.”

His initial plans are for a twoto three-story building on the Mickey Mantle Drive side of the canal and a seven- to 12-story building on the west side of the waterway.

His plans also call for potential demolition of an adjoining building he owns at 108 E California, if permitted by the Bricktown Urban Design Committee. That lot, or building, would be incorporated into the new construction.

Bricktown Association director Frank Sims applauded Cotton’s plans.

“It’s huge,” Sims said. “It’s one of the most important pieces of property in Bricktown and is the focus of the canal — it’s where everybody gets loaded onto the water taxis.”

Several proposals to develop the lots were announced in past years, but they never materialized. Developer Harry McMullen sought to build a 10-story hotel on the corner lot west of the canal in 2000, but later abandoned those plans in favor of buying an aloe vera factory in South America.

Previous plans failed

In 2003, Bricktown property owner Jim Brewer, who controlled land on the east side of the canal, battled with McMullen over plans to build a hotel that would span the waterway.

When the city bought easements to build the canal, it left a narrow strip of land owned by Brewer that separated McMullen’s property from the canal. The arrangement gave Brewer control of land east of the canal, air rights over the waterway, and the narrow strip of land along the west side of the canal separating it from McMullen’s land.

The city council approved Brewer’s hotel plans over McMullen’s objections, but both sides of the canal remained undeveloped.

Cotton is interested in building a walkway or open patio that would link new buildings on both sides.

The Bricktown project will be Cotton’s first development, and he is still entertaining ideas for the property.

Cotton entered Bricktown in 2004 when he paid $1.95 million for a two-story building at 108 E California, immediately west of the McMullen property.

“I wasn’t planning on being an active owner at that time,” Cotton said. “But I’ve gotten very into it since.”

Cotton subsequently paid $2.7 million for the Bricktown Mercantile Building, 100 E Main (home to City Walk) and $600,000 for a one-story building at 329 E Sheridan that was last home to The Green Door.

Cotton paid $650,000 for Brewer’s side of the canal this summer and $1.475 million for the McMullen property last month.

Cotton said he’s anxious to begin construction, and is in talks to hire Bricktown architect Tom Wilson.

http://olive.newsok.com/Repository/getimage.dll?path=DOK/2006/12/12/12/Img/Pc0120600.jpg

Luke
12-12-2006, 09:32 AM
Excellent. That will be amazing.

Now, follow through!

TStheThird
12-12-2006, 09:53 AM
This will be amazing!

floater
12-12-2006, 09:59 AM
This is significant. But my enthusiasm will be measured until I see some drawings or a retail tenant list.

Karried
12-12-2006, 10:03 AM
This is exciting news... I hope ( fingers crossed ) that he does what he says he will and the city/Bricktown will encourage the plan and not make it difficult.

TStheThird
12-12-2006, 11:05 AM
The best news is that he has closed on both properties. With Brewer out of the picture, something might happen.

Pete
12-12-2006, 12:07 PM
It seems after a brief lull, things are really picking up in terms of private investment in Bricktown, downtown, Auto Alley and Midtown.

We're really starting to see some significant dollar amounts and ambitious projects put forth. Pretty exciting stuff.

John
12-12-2006, 01:03 PM
Great news.

Only part I don't like is the tearing down of the building on California. Incorporate it into part of the development. If he succeeds in getting it torn down, with a bigger base to work with, the larger building would end up on the low side of the 7-12 floor figure.

jbrown84
12-12-2006, 01:15 PM
Yay, yay, yay.

metro
12-12-2006, 02:22 PM
Deja vu anyone? Moshe Tal, McMullen...... Let's hope it's the real deal this time.

BG918
12-12-2006, 08:38 PM
Sounds like an interesting plan, we'll see how it progresses. Those two lots are some of the most valuable land in Bricktown for sure though and there isn't a better location. Those two lots (and the one south of them, not part of the plan) have some of the best development potential in Bricktown, as they are currently a dead zone on the canal in between "restaurant row" and the theater. The Centennial just to the south on Reno west of the canal will be a big part in improving that dead zone as well. And to think both projects will have a significant amount of condos, that's great. Maybe then The Factory (one of my favorite proposed projects for OKC) will be brought back to life!

AFCM
12-12-2006, 09:40 PM
Awesome! I always promised myself to buy that land if I hit the Powerball jackpot. I was going to make a huge building with an arch over the canal. What it was going to be, I dunno, but it was going to be huge and 100% brick.

This is great news. But you know what would be even better...?

...if I won the Powerball jackpot.

metro
12-13-2006, 11:51 AM
I don't see The Factory coming back to life. New building owner with new ideas. Perhaps we can wish for something similar although he seems to be doing nothing so far. His new tenant Simply Fondue seems to be a dead deal as far as I'm concerned.

AFCM
12-13-2006, 12:35 PM
I'm glad to see Hogan is getting a little competition for condos on the canal. If this project goes through, the difference between Bricktown proper and Lower Bricktown are going to be like night and day, as if it isn't already.

Man, I hope this project doesn't die. Bricktown needs this development.

By the way, who is Tom Wilson? Does anyone know anything about this guy, besides the fact he is a Bricktown architect?

Luke
03-13-2007, 09:24 AM
Any news on this project with potential?

metro
03-13-2007, 09:36 AM
yeah Steve Lackmeyer could you do an update on this project?

murphystone
05-27-2007, 10:26 AM
Hopefully we will see this go forward since he sold the Mercantile Building.
It would be nice to see continued growth.