View Full Version : Christmas Tipping - For real?

BailJumper
12-11-2006, 05:53 AM
I'm sure we have all seen those canned 'news' stories running this time of year with advice on who and how much to tip people at Christmas time. You can tell there not produced in Oklahoma when they start talking about tipping your doorman, dog-walker and elevator operator.

That aside, does anyone really tip these types of workers at Christmas here in Oklahoma?

I guess we have the mailman, and some apartments do have door/security people. Some people may also have a fulltime maid (I hate you people) or babysitter, etc.

As for us, we do for ourselves and I feel absolutely no need to tip someone extra, just for Christmas. Heck my mailman walks through my yard and it has worn down the grass and i've asked him not to, but he doesn't care. If I did give him something it would be reading glasses, as I routinely get the mail for the street next to ours (circle as opposed to street). I've never actually seen an elevator operator and the only doorperson I know works at the Regency Tower and he is pretty scary!

I guess I do occassionally get a shoe shine downtown this time of year (snow and slush) and I do tip him more than I normally do waiters etc.

Karried
12-11-2006, 06:45 AM
Yeah, if I were wealthy enough to have a nanny, housecleaner, landscaper or doorman.. I would tip. But I don't, so I won't ..... lol

I agree with the mailman. He drives around in a car - puts the mail in and gets paid to do so.. I don't see the need to tip him for anything really. Now, if he went out of his way and really went above and beyond then I might consider it.

Not trying to be a grinch, but see no need for it really.

Martin
12-11-2006, 06:55 AM
the postman is a federal employee ergo he is compensated quite well for someone who walks/drives around putting mail in boxes. no tip. -M

jbrown84
12-11-2006, 11:26 AM
I have not seen these stories. You act as if they are everywhere. You're talking about a CBS Evening News story or something like that?

John
12-11-2006, 11:44 AM
It's very normal at Christmas to 'tip' or give something to anyone who does a service for you, even in Oklahoma.

Whether it be your barber/stylist/manicurist/landscaper/maid/etc. Granted we don't have doormen or elevator guys like in New York City or similar cities, but the practice isn't entirely out of place right here in OK.

metro
12-11-2006, 12:27 PM
Yeah even in Oklahoma I know quite a few people who "tip" or more frequently give a gift to their hair stylist, doorman, postman, favorite waiter, etc. etc. I don't practice that but would like to start doing so. It's amazing how much better service you get with a little giving.

BailJumper
12-11-2006, 01:22 PM
'JD' I have seen the story at least twice on different channels as filler news stories in the morning and 5pm.

I always laugh when I see these canned stories that have little news value or local appeal - Like there are not enough local stories to report. More than likely just too many lazy reporters.

I can't tip my barber cuz I live dangerously and play Super Cuts roulette (you never know who or what you're gonna get).

Lauri101
12-11-2006, 05:09 PM
Mail carriers are not supposed to accept tips or gifts, according to their rules of conduct as government employees. I usually give mine a small box of chocolates or cookies - they can accept food gits but they are supposed to take them back to share.

I always give a tip to my paper deliverer, who puts my paper on the porch every day. I also buy a small food gift for my hair stylist. Our work group usually buys a gift certificate for the secretary.

BailJumper
12-12-2006, 04:14 AM
The news did a story and said you can give them (postman) anything except cash as long as it is valued under $20/$40 I can't remember which.

The last thing i would accept is food from a stranger - ewh!

mranderson
12-12-2006, 05:17 AM
Yeah even in Oklahoma I know quite a few people who "tip" or more frequently give a gift to their hair stylist, doorman, postman, favorite waiter, etc. etc. I don't practice that but would like to start doing so. It's amazing how much better service you get with a little giving.

That is called bribery. They perform the service, then if it is good enough, they get a tip. Plus, I could not even begin to tell you who my postal carrier is. Plus, I have no favorite waiter or waitress, use places like Supercuts, am my own doorman, etc. Those people have families and friends. I do not need to spend money on someone I may only see once every two or three months, if at all.

okcguy
12-12-2006, 12:31 PM
You mentioned that the only doorman you know works at The Regency and is pretty scary. I live at The Regency and have never once been frightened by the nice people that work at the door, so I have no idea what you're talking about. But I guess I will have to tip them now.

fsusurfer
12-12-2006, 12:49 PM
I can see maybe giving a little extra to a waiter/waitress (if the service is good) or a barber/hairstylist if its a friend and the job is done well because those people make money on tips. However if you typically tip well anyway, there's no point to this, you always tip well. However tipping the mailman? Thats the guys JOB. He makes a salary, he dosen't live off tips. No one tips me for writing an effective computer program this time of year...

mranderson
12-12-2006, 03:20 PM
I can see maybe giving a little extra to a waiter/waitress (if the service is good) or a barber/hairstylist if its a friend and the job is done well because those people make money on tips. However if you typically tip well anyway, there's no point to this, you always tip well. However tipping the mailman? Thats the guys JOB. He makes a salary, he dosen't live off tips. No one tips me for writing an effective computer program this time of year...

The waiter or waitress. That is THEIR job. The hairstylist. That is his or her job. Many live on their wages, and if they can not EARN a tip, then they need to find another career. One that does not require public contact.

TIPS: To insure PROPER service.
Not fork it over, pal.

Karried
12-12-2006, 04:17 PM
The waiter or waitress. That is THEIR job.

That's a whole different subject.. they get lower wages to begin with and earn their tips to ensure better service.

A postal carrier gets a regular salary regardless of how well he delivers the mail.

okcguy
12-12-2006, 04:56 PM
Karried is right. I wait tables part-time and the hourly wage is 2.13 an hour, but ALL of this gets taken from my check for taxes on my tips. Every single pay check I get says "VOID" on it. Tips are essential to my job. With that said, I haven't noticed an increase in tips this holiday season. If any thing, there may be a bit of a decrease because people are spending more this time of year, which sucks for me!

Deni
12-12-2006, 07:12 PM
Christmas tipping is a great thing if those people earned that tip. My mail carrier is not so good... Being a hairdresser I make sure all my clients recieve wonderful service no matter what time of the year it is.. Yes it would be nice for them to give extra but no I dont think about it as a must.. I earn my tips for exactally what it stands for...I love my clients. They are the best. I give out small things at Christmas to my favorite clients and that is their tip for being the best clients in the world. I also give out a Christmas bonus to my hairdressers.

By the way. Merry Christmas everyone.. Its good to be back

mranderson
12-12-2006, 08:05 PM
That's a whole different subject.. they get lower wages to begin with and earn their tips to ensure better service.

A postal carrier gets a regular salary regardless of how well he delivers the mail.

That is not the point. They want tips or gifts (if you wish to call it that), then they can earn them. Otherwise, they can starve or find a different profession.

Martin
12-12-2006, 08:22 PM
they can starve or find a different profession
merry christmas, mr. scrooge! -M

Karried
12-12-2006, 08:35 PM
That is not the point. They want tips or gifts (if you wish to call it that), then they can earn them. Otherwise, they can starve or find a different profession.

No one said they 'wanted' anything. We are talking about giving extra tips as a generous gesture at the holidays to show our appreciation for someone who goes above and beyond or someone we are fond of or even just a kind thing to do for someone standing on their feet for 12 hours working overtime while we stuff our faces ... it's a time of giving and good will .. humanity at it's best .. for most people anyway.

Easy180
12-12-2006, 09:10 PM
Or mranderson I guess your favorite restaurant can save themselves some money...Have no waitstaff and just put signs on the tables that read:

"Get it yo dam* self"

That would make for a pleasurable dining experience :fighting2

BailJumper
12-13-2006, 05:38 AM
OKCGUY - I have a couple of friends that live there. Haven't been there lately, but the last time I was it was at night and the door guy looked like the typical scary creepy security guard. I was just glad he was behind glass.

Todd
12-13-2006, 08:45 AM
Karma...

okcguy
12-13-2006, 01:36 PM
OKCGUY - I have a couple of friends that live there. Haven't been there lately, but the last time I was it was at night and the door guy looked like the typical scary creepy security guard. I was just glad he was behind glass.

Maybe they've gotten new concierges since I've moved here. Everyone I've come into contact is pleasant and well-groomed.