View Full Version : Car runs on POOP?!?!?!

Ms.Relaxationstation
10-28-2004, 08:27 PM
I heard on the news today that there has been a car created to operate on none other than poop. It is with the assurance that there will never be a lack of "fuel". Also on display will be an electric race car and hybrid truck customized by West Virginia University students. Visitors can also get the poop on a diesel generator that runs on chicken waste.

WVU associate professor Richard Russell, who helped to develop the generator, said his team was working on a way to liquefy coal and was experimenting with waste products when he decided to see what would happen if they removed the coal from the equation. Russell discovered that combining chicken waste (excreta plus sawdust or hay) with water under pressure yields a fuel that can power conventional diesel engines.

Russell said, "It was great to start with something that people really wanted to get rid of," and turn it into an energy source. A chicken farm could recoup far more energy from its chicken waste than the farm needs to power its equipment, he said.

Midtowner
10-28-2004, 09:42 PM
Yes, but imagine the smell.

Patrick
10-28-2004, 10:46 PM
Ahhhh, you know how advanced science is....I'm sure they could come up with something to alter the smell.

mranderson
10-28-2004, 11:52 PM
The odor would be methane. It just happens to be the same gas animals pass.

I have heard about cars that run on chicken crap (hate the word "poop") for years.

Midtowner
10-29-2004, 07:01 AM
That car is a great idea....

http://deseretnews.com/photos/c022304dog.jpg
For me to poop on!

Keith
10-29-2004, 07:35 AM
Ok, if a car runs on poop, where do you go “fill” up? There are no “poop” stations around that I know of. I wonder if you could get some cow manure and grind it up and put it in the tank as a substitute? Where else can you get the poop, other than the :Smiley275 ?