View Full Version : Southern Twang?

Karried
12-10-2006, 10:24 AM
I'm watching the Discovery Channel and I hear that someone is from Oklahoma ( moving a monster turbine) so my interest is peaked... the other person is from Georgia.

They start talking and I notice very distinct 'drawls' .... I'm just curious about this ..

I know some people who have been born here and they don't have an accent but some other's are so pronounced.

Do you think you have a drawl or a twang? If you talk to somone on either coast, would you be identified as being from the midwest or south?

bandnerd
12-10-2006, 10:50 AM
Hmm...it's a tough call. I worked very hard to lose my southern Oklahoma accent in high school while I was in speech and debate...you couldn't win if the judges couldn't understand you ;) I also felt it would help me appear more professional to have more of a non-accent in the workplace.

However, I do slip from time to time, especially after visiting with my mom on the phone or when physically visiting relatives. My hometown is so close to Texas that it's close to a Texas accent...but not quite as pronounced. My sister also worked very hard to lose her accent, as well. It's not that we dislike the accent, we just felt it would be easier in the workplace without it.

I do love a good southern gentleman with a good southern drawl, though. Melts my buttah ;)

mranderson
12-10-2006, 11:30 AM
I'm watching the Discovery Channel and I hear that someone is from Oklahoma ( moving a monster turbine) so my interest is peaked... the other person is from Georgia.

They start talking and I notice very distinct 'drawls' .... I'm just curious about this ..

I know some people who have been born here and they don't have an accent but some other's are so pronounced.

Do you think you have a drawl or a twang? If you talk to somone on either coast, would you be identified as being from the midwest or south?

Before I went to College, I had a very severe "twang." I would describe it as being worse than "Jed Clampett." After taking voice improvement lessons, I lost most of it. Most people describe me as being from the midwest... Mainly because they are correct. I AM from the midwest.

Lauri101
12-10-2006, 12:14 PM
I've lived in Texas, Oklahoma and Mississippi, so, yes, I do have a drawl. If I'm thinking about it, my speech training will kick in and I can control it. If I'm excited, it's more noticable.

I also tend to be imitative, so, if I'm around someone with another type of accent (British, New England, etc) for very long, I'll pick it up.

MadMonk
12-10-2006, 01:10 PM
My family is mostly based in North Carolina and I can really hear their accent. NC, SC, & Georgia all have a similar accent and I know I had it when I moved out here. But now, when I talk to my mom she says she hears a slight "Okie" accent, but not too much. At times, I speak on the phone with people from England, France, Ireland and Australia and we all make fun of each other's verbal quirks, but we get the message across. Oddly, I have the most difficulty understanding someone with a heavy New York or Boston accent!

okcguy
12-12-2006, 01:33 PM
A few years ago while watching some old home video of myself from when I was a child, I was appalled to notice I had a serious twang and have since made a very conscious effort to lose it. I am especially careful when speaking to someone from the coasts or another region of the country. I went to New York last year and was pleased that not one person remarked on any sort of accent. Although, like someone else mentioned, I am a bit imitative as well and found myself saying things like "waiting on line" instead of "wating in line" which is a regional thing in New York, though I didn't try to mimic a distinct New York accent.