View Full Version : Gaming Console Wars Continue

okcpulse
12-09-2006, 08:46 AM
CONSOLE TRI-WAR: THREE GAME CONSOLES WILL BATTLE FOR DOMINANCE

The 2007 holiday shopping season is coming up, and this is the first year that three major gaming console makers are competing for market share with their next generation systems. It is also the first year that two of the three have introduced their new models to the market almost all at the same time. But who is going to win the battle? And what market will each console dominate? Sony, Microsoft and Nintendo have their armor ready, and each have something different to offer.

Sony Playstation 3

Sony got brave with their next-generation PS3. The company has introduced this console at a whopping $600 per unit, something that parents are balking at as they begin running through their Christmas lists. Sony justifies the price by stressing that the PS3 will basically be a functioning computer as well as a gaming console. You will be able to do basic functions like check your e-mail, and I’m sure that with that feature is some limited internet access. (Will we browse Google on PS3? Probably not.) But the real seller with the PS3 is the new processor, simply called the Cell. It’s basically a supercomputer on a chip. When I researched the dynamics of this puppy I was blown away, as the Cell runs over 4 GHz and makes 256 billion calculations per second. But how hot does it run? Has Sony made the steps to keep this processor from burning up? The Cell will introduce movie-like graphics to the PS3, but the chip is apparently capable of a lot more. However, movie-like graphics are also available for XBOX 360, so I don’t see the true advantages here. However, the final sell for the PS3: the unit comes with a Blu-ray drive. Now that can be tempting for someone hunting for a Blu-ray player and gaming console all-in-one. Especially since standalone Blu-ray players are $1,000 apiece. My recommendations? Leave the PS3 for twenty-something gamers with deep pockets. Children may enjoy the graphics, but a $600 present for a fourth grader is overkill.

Nintendo Wii

Nintendo has a new bag… the Wii. As in… it’s literally pronounced “we”. It’s not a beauty by any means compared to PS3 and XBOX 360. It’s a reasonable price, $249 for the whole set-up, and it looks as though Nintendo is trying to make a comeback from its failed Game Cube, squashed by XBOX and PS2. Nintendo’s secret weapon isn’t a killer processor, it’s actually a mother-load of child-friendly games (hardcore gamers wouldn’t get caught dead playing Super Mario, unless they are on a nostalgia binge), and a motion-sensor controller. The controller will follow your motions. Swing the controller like an upper-cut while playing boxing, and your character throws an upper cut. Not too bad for a game console company that’s been around since 1985. But the Wii isn’t really for the underground gamers out of college or in high school. I recommend it for children. Most of its games are family-friendly, and it’s a reasonably-priced Christmas gift. Enjoy Mario, and save Princess Zelda one more time. (Personal note: If I were Link, I’d let Zelda deal with her own issues by now. And Gannon just needs to get over wanting Hyrule.)

XBOX 360

I own one of these now. I held out for eleven months and just couldn’t take it anymore. XBOX 360, like PS3, is a sleek, well designed gaming console. It looks good in the living room. It was built with three Power PC processors (now we know why Apple went Intel), and sports ATI graphics. One of the best features of the XBOX 360 is free XBOX Live membership, also called the Silver Membership (you pay for Gold Membership, but not much.) That includes VoIP, and free XBOX Live Arcade downloads, although most arcade games are trials. You can purchase Microsoft points from the XBOX Live dashboard for full versions, as well as trade on Windows Live Marketplace. XBOX 360 also integrates with a Windows Vista PC, and comes with HD DVD support. But the biggest advantage of owning an XBOX 360 is Halo. Halo has become the most popular FSP game of any console, gaining millions of faithful fans who do battle on Halo multiplayer online on a daily basis. Halo 3 and Halo Wars are due out next year, taking full advantage of XBOX 360’s graphics capabilities. And Halo fans don’t convert to other consoles. That’s an advantage you can’t beat. Microsoft offers XBOX 360 in two versions: Full and Core. Full packages are $399, and Core packages are $299. The Core package does not come with backward compatibility, a hard drive, XBOX Live Silver membership, a head set or a trial membership for XBOX Live Gold membership. The Full package will drop in price next year, and it’s hard to judge whether the Core package will even remain available. Nonetheless, the 360 is a good console for both twenty-somethings and teenagers. Not pricey, but not cheap.

okcpulse.com - Oklahoma City's Online Magazine (http://www.okcpulse.com)

Karried
12-09-2006, 09:09 AM
The 360 is my favorite and is on the April birthday list ..( although I wanted to get it for Christmas! We can still play for another few months on the older system I guess - boo hoo) but we're still eeking out play on the older Xbox.... I'm reserving Halo 3 asap though.. release might not be until November 2007 yuk.

I got the Wii for the kids because they love Zelda - I just hope the controller doesn't fly through the big screen!

BailJumper
12-09-2006, 01:24 PM
We started with a PS2 (okay, I actually started with Pong in the late 70's and then went to Intellivision) and then went XBOX. Recently we sold all our XBOX games and console and got the XBOX 360.

Why?

It's been a year since the XBOX 360 was released so that means they are readily found on the shelves, have a track record of reliabilty and games have been out long enough you can buy them used or discounted as opposed to $60 a pop for the just released gaming systems.

Also, people should keep in mind that all the bells and whistles don't mean a whole lot if you haven't upgraded your TV to HD.

I do get a chuckle though out of all those goofs who camped out for a PS3 hoping to sell it for $3000 and are now posting them on Craigslist for about $700-$800.

Also, we don't buy lots of games. We pick a sports game, a shooter game and maybe something else and play till we defeat the game (except the sports). Then we trade it in towards something else.

Right now my son plays NCAA 07. We just defeated Call of Duty 2 and traded it in for Gears of War.

We bought the XBOX with the HD but I think we would have been fine without the HD and saved $100. But, we don't download or save alot of stuff.

MadMonk
12-09-2006, 02:29 PM
Here's the latest tallys. Looks like the Wii is gaining lots of ground, but still has a long way to go. That low price really helps.

http://nexgenwars.com/images/x360_forum2.jpg (http://nexgenwars.com/)
http://nexgenwars.com/images/ps3_forum2.jpg (http://nexgenwars.com/)
http://nexgenwars.com/images/wii_forum2.jpg (http://nexgenwars.com/)

windowphobe
12-09-2006, 07:40 PM
Opera has already introduced a Web browser for the Wii; it's shown up in my site referrer logs.

Karried
12-11-2006, 12:19 PM
Anyone know of any really good XBOX 360 Platinum bundles?

I want Gears of War, Madden 07 and Carbon...two controllers.. and ideally, Live.. with the camera ... I know Sam's Club has a bundle but no games included with it.

btw, I reserved my Halo 3 ... only 12 more months to wait.. sheesh.

MadMonk
12-11-2006, 02:41 PM
Wow Karried, I never knew you were such a hard-core gamer. ;)

Karried
12-11-2006, 02:46 PM
LOL - that's me alright.. hardcore!

Actually, I'm the Halo Fan, hubby is Madden, son is Gears of War - other son, the race car driver.. But really, what do you expect? I have a house full of boys! If you can't beat em, join em!

You should see us on the Halo maps - I could play for days.. my kids kill me like a bug - doesn't phase me .. whoo hoo.. rocket launcher baby!

This is our family motto.. tongue in cheek.. 'The family that slays together, stays together!"

lcd1712
12-12-2006, 10:18 AM
I would say, before buying any of these next gen. consoles (except for wii, maybe), you need to buy a HD tv for sure, otherwise, keep your PS2 or Xbox, as new games are still coming out for these consoles. Owning a dolby digital receiver and set of speakers will add the gaming experience of the new consoles. For more versatility, you can opt for a Creative DDTS-100 decoder and 5.1 pc speakers (bundle about $200) , as the first option in some cases could be more expensive. With the DDTS-100 decoder you can plug your in your PC destop/laptop, xbox or ps2, xbox360 or ps3, wii, TVset, ipod or any other mp3player, and any other analog or digital equipment simultaneously and enjoy true digital surround sound (depending on the audio source). that is my current equipment and I loved it. My only complaint is that PC speakers' cables tend to be too short by default, but nothing that can't be fixed.

Back to the consoles, I'll wait until mid next year. I currently owned the original xbox and the only reasons I would buy Xbox360 are its controller
and, of course Halo. It's crazy how this game can be reason enough to buy this console. However, I know the Xbox 360 can get really hot and it's loud. I don't know if it's the same with PS3, but Sony does come up with some cool exclusive titles (Metal Gear, Resident Evil, Final Fantasy, Formula 1) and they probably will come up with something to counteract Halo 3, so we'll see.

If you are still undecided on which console to go for, just look at the exclusive titles on each console and go for the one you like. Yes, the Cell processor is the most advanced, but by the time they get to untap its potential, we will probably have new consoles on the play. As a microsoft rep said when launching the the xbox.360 last year, it's not about the hardware, but the software and it makes a lot of sense IMO. Whoever develop the best software for any of these consoles, will win.

Karried
12-12-2006, 05:03 PM
Found the Xbox 360 Premium for $398.00 on Overstock.com - 12% coupon - free shipping - no tax ...

$349.00

Add Two games, Carbon & Madden07 plus another wireless controller - 12% off .. total around $500 - no tax, no shipping - save around $75.00 - pretty decent deal.. close call for shipping in time for Christmas so watch out for that.. might have to wrap up a picture :-)

okcpulse
12-12-2006, 07:14 PM
Karried, when you get XBOX 360, remember that you get free XBOX Live free membership. When that happens, give me your gamertag so we can dual in a private party on my five favorite maps...

Midship
Zanzibar
Warlock
Lockout
Battle Creek

I'm handy with the rocket launcher and plasma grenades. Bring it! =-)

Luke
12-12-2006, 08:44 PM
I was surprised to find out that the Wii isn't High Def.

Karried
12-12-2006, 08:45 PM
You do get a free membership? .. crud, I'm bidding on a 12 month and headset on ebay.. anyway, we'll see if I win.

Who am I kidding, knowing you, you'll take me out before I even have a chance to board a warthog or ghost .. but I'm going practice ..

Until then, I'll just hide behind a rock on the cliff - Sniper baby.. bahwahwah... evil grin ;-) Battle creek here we come ..

Easy180
12-12-2006, 09:12 PM
The Wii looks like I would throw out my back with all that flailing around

Umm..No thanks

SoonerDave
12-18-2006, 10:08 AM
Nintendo has already announced a recall of *ALL* Wii controllers due to reports of wrist straps breaking, causing controllers to fly out of control and into walls, mirrors, people's heads, etc.

Sadly, I won a copy of EA's NCAA 2007 Football for the XBOX360, but have no 360 on which to play it. Alas. Hoped to win one off a local radio station, but it didn't work out.

At least a friend of mine here at work is enjoying the "borrowed" game. Maybe this coming year will see a new TV and Xbox....then again, maybe not :)

-SoonerDave

Karried
12-18-2006, 05:52 PM
Yeah, you can easily get a replacement strap... I'm glad they mentioned it before Christmas morning.. that would have been the first thing to happen.. playing Zelda, a sword fight.. bye bye Big Screen!

SoonerDave... did you see the above deal on the 360? It arrived in four days.. don't think it would make it now but maybe after the holiday? It's a good deal and easy as pie ... order and it shows up on the doorstep.. my kind of shopping!

okcpulse
12-18-2006, 09:18 PM
Karrie, I will play nice on Halo, I promise (hehehehehehehe)!!!