View Full Version : Surround Sound

Karried
12-08-2006, 12:41 PM
Dh wants surround sound for our big screen upstairs.. do I have to go out and get a 3K Bose system to have great sound? Cuz that's not gonna happen lol.

Any suggestions? We have a Mitsubishi Diamond 60" - does that matter when picking something out? It's not a Plasma TV - it's a big screen and we have Cox Digital cable.. can anyone point me in the right direction as far as a inexpensive but still really nice sounding surround sound?

It may not happen this Christmas since his present was his new truck but I might be able to get some nice after holiday sales.. any help appreciated.

Martin
12-08-2006, 12:45 PM
the tv doesn't matter as far as picking out speakers as much as the equipment you've got hooked up to it. how's everything hooked up now? is the dvd player, cable tuner, etc. hooked up directly to the tv or do you have a receiver? what's your budget? -M

Karried
12-08-2006, 12:52 PM
I think it is all hooked up to the TV.. a receiver as in a cable box? I'm clueless mmm.. I know nothing about it.. hubby has it all hooked up.. as long as I can hook up my Xbox and play Halo2, I'm happy.. otherwise, I don't usually watch TV up there.

Budget.. of course, the least expensive best sounding system is what I'm looking for ... what can I expect to pay for a system?

Martin
12-08-2006, 01:06 PM
the receiver is what powers the speakers. looks like you'll want an 'all in one' solution that includes the receiver and speakers all in one box. i'd say a decent setup would be around $700, but cheaper setups can be had. i know bose, sony and yamaha make solutions in that price range. at this quality level, i like yamaha for speakers... but it's really about what sounds good to you. -M

Karried
12-08-2006, 01:21 PM
oh a stereo receiver.. duh.. that's downstairs..

well, can you have a surround sound that just hooks up to the TV to broadcast just the TV? or do you have to have a receiver so that it runs from the tv to the speakers?

maybe I'll let my DH deal with this.. I already have a headache just thinking about it, lol

Easy180
12-08-2006, 01:26 PM
Got ours at Ultimate Electronics...I would recommend not going as cheap as possible on surround sound...We got a Denon receiver, Infinity channel speaker, 4 wall speakers and a subwoofer for around $1,500 with all cables and installed

Just shop around and see the most expensive and the cheapest packages...Then go with something right in the middle

Martin
12-08-2006, 01:29 PM
...i totally agree with you easy, but it doesn't look like this is going to be their primary system. ultimate is a great place to go... they're usually pretty helpful. -M

In_Tulsa
12-08-2006, 02:27 PM
This is the one I have and it is the best sounding system I've heard I looked of about six months before I found this one. The sound will blow you away and the powered sub will break your windows.

Onkyo HT-S680 6.1-channel home theater audio system at Crutchfield.com (http://www.crutchfield.com/S-dgecDILH47A/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?g=37600&I=580HTS680B)

P.S This the a great price I paid more

Karried
12-08-2006, 02:52 PM
wow, that system has gotten rave reviews.. what a great price.. I was thinking it would be a lot more money. I'll do some more checking but it sounds like you are pretty happy with it... thanks!

6ave.com - The Online Electronics Showcase TM (http://www.6ave.com/product.jsp?zipz=11001&x=HTS680B&w=1)

I found this great deal.. Free Shipping $328.06

Anyone have any experience with this online store?

In_Tulsa
12-08-2006, 08:25 PM
I just had some friends over and they can't get over the sound they want to buy one now. I would buy from crutchfield.com they give you lifetime support. I don't know anything about 6ave.com and crutchfield ships fast I got mine in three days.

P.S. look for crutchfield coupons online

Easy180
12-08-2006, 09:00 PM
I can vouch for crutchfield...Bought two tv's from them and they have great info on that site

Martin
12-08-2006, 09:48 PM
one thing about buying electronics online is that if the price is too good to be true, it probably isn't true. alot of retailers are pretty shady in this industry... they'll have a lower price, but hike up shipping; bait & switch to another model; charge your credit card & never ship merchandise; etc... i've never shopped from them, but 6ave sounds like one of those outfits... be careful. crutchfield, though, has been around... as stated, they're gonna be more reputable. -M

okcpulse
12-09-2006, 08:44 AM
I don't buy electronics online... period, unless it's the occasional PC hardware upgrade part from newegg.com. I really don't trust EBay anymore. My living room components always come from Best Buy, but it helps having a Best Buy card.

MadMonk
12-09-2006, 02:28 PM
Newegg and Crutchfield are two of the best places to buy from online. I've bought from both and I've never experienced any problems whatsoever with either shop. My next purchase (which will probably be a new stereo for the wife's car) is almost guaranteed to come from either Crutchfield or Ultimate Electronics - depending on the deal available at the time.