View Full Version : New office towers on the way downtown?

Patrick
07-16-2004, 09:21 PM
I happened to overhear this from another forum. I thought it was interesting. I might run by TAP architecture and check it out for myself. I'll let you guys know what I find out.

"However, I will tell you this interesting little nugget of information. On Broadway and about 4th St is the headquarters of TAP Architecture. They have a scale model of downtown OKC with the various taller buildings about 3 to 4 feet tall, like the First National Tower and the Oklahoma Tower. Well, there are two skyscrapers on the model which don't exist. One is quite a bit taller than the First National Tower which would make it the tallest building downtown. So, maybe there are others in the works that TAP architecture knows about and we don't. By the way, you can stop by and peek in the windows to see the scale model I'm talking about."

okcpulse
07-18-2004, 09:09 PM
Awesome. This has my curiosity. I will have to swing by TAP tomorrow and check out the model. It is my opinion that Oklahoma City's skyline is in the perfect position to show great variety and a lot of shape.

floater
07-19-2004, 02:58 PM
Interesting :p

Patrick
07-20-2004, 09:40 PM
I emailed Tap archirecture and here was their response:

"Simply a student project "conjecture" model. Nothing of such sort in the works.

Rick Lueb, principal."

So, I guess there aren't any nw office towers in the works for OKC, at least for now! Bummer! Oh well! The conjecture model sure makes the OKC skyline look nice. If you guys get a chance you might go check it out.

okcpulse
07-21-2004, 08:29 AM
Saw the model yesterday. I noticed they put the tallest tower where Kerr Park is now located. The one good feature about Oklahoma City's skyline... and this is a compliment that we get from a lot of out-of-towners... is that it has density. Putting a tall skyscraper in the middle of it all maintains that density and adds height. That's what helps make a picturesque skyline that gives Oklahoma City a cosmopolitan image. And that is where Tulsa falls short. Yes, Tulsa has height, but it's towers are spread so far apart except for The Mid-Continent Tower and First National Tower.

floater
07-21-2004, 10:00 AM
I agree wholeheartedly. The skyline is compact so that you can enjoy it from most any vantage point. Chase Tower ;) however drab it looks, still forms a nice peak for the skyline, and different buildings add diversity to it. Leadership Square reflects (literally) impressive elegance, while First National brings classic beauty to it. Chase and Kerr McGee bring a midperiod modernity.

The skyline will receive an electric shot in the arm, though, when the light beam from the Flatiron/Deep Deuce area radiates skyward.

Patrick
07-21-2004, 10:23 AM
It's too bad that those two new skyscrapers aren't part of a plan! I agree with you guys....I like the dense feel of our downtown.....although I like Kerr Park, I think this new office tower would've only added to this feel! With the interest Devon currently has in Kerr McGee's properties, I was kind of curious if this new building in the scale model was the new Devon or something. If you haven't heard, Kerr McGee tower and properties are up for sale and have been for several years now. Devon has considered purchasing Kerr McGee's properties downtown, with Kerr McGee considering a move of their HQ to Houston. Kerr McGee already owns two skyscrapers in the Houston skyline!

Who knows, the new building in the model could still be a Devon Building, or something like that, and the guy from Tap just isn't spilling any beans. But for now I'm not going to get my hopes up too high.

I know Devon is considering moving out of Chase/Bank One Tower and looking to own their own building. Not sure though whether they're wanting to stay in downtown or move out like Chesapeake. I would hope that since they own MidAmerica Tower, they'd consider staying downtown, and possibly building a new building downtown.

Since Devon occupies close to 80% of the Chase/Bank One Tower, and Devon wanting to move out of there and build there own building with more space, I wouldn't be surprised if they were considering a 50 or 60 story building to go along with their 20 stories at MidAmerica Tower.

Anyways, in regards to the dense feel of our downtown....we have Urban Renewal to thank for that. Most people don't like Urban Renewal because they demolished a lot of our historic buildings, but without that, we couldn't have the denseness that we have today in our downtown area, as without demolishing historic buildings, the newer skyscrapers would've had to be built on the perimeter of th downtown area.

I know the new Federal Building was 4 or 5 floors. Personally, I don't think that should've happened. I think we need restrictions downtown, requiring buildings to be at least 20 or 30 stories, with a possible exemption for hotels and apartment buildings.......the requirement for those could be 10 stories.

mranderson
07-21-2004, 10:38 AM
The disadvantage to Devon building a 60 floor building is the amount of unoccupied space that would be created in the Chase building and Devon's building.

Yes. I like the idea of a mega structure. However, is the time really now?

Patrick
07-21-2004, 10:44 AM
Yeah, you have a point. Actually though it would just be Chase Building that would remain vacant, as Devon plans on keeping their Building, MidAmerica Tower. But, I was curious about something. Chase Building was up for sale! Does anyone know whether it ever sold or not? I looked on Price Edwards site and it still shows that it's for sale. I kind of wonder whether Devon might not just purchase that building. Afterall, it's directly across from the building they already own!

okcpulse
07-21-2004, 11:13 AM
That is true about vacating a large amount of office space in the Chase Tower. However, it would be easier for those buildings to sign new tennants since the property is considered Class A office space. As far as Chase Tower being up for sale, I thought it had been sold to a private entrepreneur in San Antonio with Oklahoma roots. He planned to do some minor makeovers to the building's exterior, mostly lighting work.

Patrick
07-21-2004, 11:49 AM
You're probably right about Chase Tower being sold. I haven't really kept up with the building since it was put up for sale last year.

And you make a good point, one I was about to make it my previous post. It's all Class A space, so it wouldn't be too difficult to lease out. Yeah, they would have to lease out about 80% of the building, but at least they wouldn't have as hard of a time leasing space as Fist National is.

I like Kerr Park, but personally, I think a new 50 or 60 story office tower with the Devon name would look lovely there! It would definitely overtower Kerr McGee across the street, a company that used to overtower Devon.

I worked at Devon back in the summer of 1998....it's amazing how much that company has grown because back then they were just beginning their growth and only had about 3 or 4 floors at Mid America Tower. Before I left, they were in negotiations to purchase Mid America Tower. Now they occupy all 20 floors at Mid America (which they own), plus they occupy 80% of Chase Tower! That's just amazing.

BTW, does anyone know whether or not the Bank One signs will be coming down from the top of Chase/Bank One Tower now that the name is changing??? And is the name for sure changing? Anyone have an article backing that up?

okcpulse
07-21-2004, 10:34 PM
Yes, the name is officially changing, as discussed in a June 10th article in the business section of The Oklahoman. As well, the sign is coming down and will be replaced by a Chase sign, since Chase Bank bought out Bank One.

Nuclear_2525
07-21-2004, 11:15 PM
I hope Kerr-Mcgee doesn't move to Houston. I don't care how many more people are working for them in Houston, or how many buildings they own in Houston, I would hate to see another large OK company move to Houston, like Citgo did a few months ago. As long as it says "Kerr-McGee, headquarted in OKC" I'm happy. Texas cities are very good at stealing major companies from surrounding states, but OK and OKC is moving on up, so I would really like to see us stealing from surrounding states along with Texas, and not lose anymore companies. But, no matter how far OKC and Tulsa move up, as long as we have anti-business laws...the laws that should've been changed this year...TX will continue to steal our big companies away.

Patrick
07-21-2004, 11:32 PM
One of the reasons Kerr McGee is considering the move to Houston is because the majority of their oil drilling is done offshore in the Gulf. But as long as Kerr McGee continues with their pigment operations and chemical division (both headquartered in OKC......the oil dept. is actually now headquartered in Houston, although the official corporate headquarters is still in OKC) I think they'll stay here. Also, Luke Corbett, CEO, is very pro-OKC, but he is due to retire soon, and rumors have said that the next CEO will come out of Houston, which is leading some to believe that the corporate headquarters will move as well! I hope this doesn't happen and I'm guessing our city would do whatever it took to prevent it from happening!

But as you say, we have anti-business laws working against us. Our airport has also been a factor in several corporations moving, most notably Fleming! Although our airport is in the process of being demolished and basically completely rebuilt as a beautiful 25 gate complex, we still have few decent direct flights! But hey, if Kerr McGee people are just flying to Houston and back, I don't see the problem there.......Continental has direct flights!

Nuclear_2525
07-21-2004, 11:47 PM
I was really impressed to see that in Forward OKC II, one of the objectives was to put many pro-business senators in the state senate. By far the most impressive thing on the list...not to bash the other items because they were impressive too...but this should be every city in Oklahoma's main priority. I would like to see Tulsa plan out a similar objective...except of course it would have to be a little better! ( where are the smilie faces on here!) ;)

okcpulse
07-21-2004, 11:53 PM
The Oklahoma City Chamber of Commerce has been very concentrated on Forward Oklahoma City, both I and II. What I like most about the program is that nothing is left out in terms of ingredients for really city growth, most specifically education and creating a pro-business environment. From what I overheard at Barnes & Noble the other day... the Oklahoma City Chamber of Commerce will continue with a Forward Oklahoma City III.

Nuclear_2525
07-21-2004, 11:56 PM
When will Forward III go into effect...I didn't even think they had started II...have they accomplished their objectives for II?

okcpulse
08-07-2004, 12:09 AM
Sorry it took awhile to answer your question, Nuclear 2525. Each Forward Oklahoma City plan is a 5 year implementation. Forward Oklahoma City I has been complete for quite some time. Forward Oklahoma City II is in the works right now, however the Chamber of Commerce will keep Forward Oklahoma City II's objectives up on its website. Forward Oklahoma City III is another 5 year plan that will be put into action in a couple of years.