View Full Version : Bricktown Coney & Pub opening soon!

Pages : [1] 2

metro
12-05-2006, 06:08 PM
Well, I remember a few months ago someone on this site talking about they wanted to open a coney stand in Bricktown. A few of us mentioned the never finished site next to club Halo in Bricktown on Sheridan. It originally was supposed to be a NYC style coney stand but never opened as planned. While driving by today, I noticed a lot of improvements to the building and the facade had a finished look (didn't before). After driving by and parking, I got out and noticed a new sign Bricktown Coney & Pub and an new open sign (not lit up yet) and a sign in the window saying "opening soon". This will be a much welcomed walk-up cheap fast food addition to Bricktown!

I posted pics of the new place in my gallery:

http://www.okctalk.com/gallery/showgallery.php/cat/500/ppuser/204

BailJumper
12-05-2006, 07:28 PM
Fun idea but I doubt it lasts long unless they got a real break on the rent. If I remember correctly there is already a walk up coney place only a block away. Also, in the summer are there not a few mobile rolling carts. Not to mention the ball park dogs in the stadium.

And beer? Where do I start with that list of competitors....

I know many will blast me, but I'm just a realist.

kk19115
12-06-2006, 12:53 AM
yeah, i agree as far as the coney is concerned. as far as a pub, it might be a slow start but you never know.

the place looks so tiny. i never really paid much attention to it. is it as small as it looks on the inside?

BailJumper
12-06-2006, 05:46 AM
Yep, that used to be an alley! If they can develop a novelty (other than, "hey guys look at the tiny coney and beer place") made they can last for awhile. Personally, I give it a year.

MadMonk
12-06-2006, 06:08 AM
Reminds me of all the little shops crowded into the spaces between buildings in Manhattan - very narrow, but surprisingly deep. Hope it works out for them.

Doug Loudenback
12-06-2006, 11:26 AM
This sounds good to me! I'd enjoy buying some chili dogs (if they're good) in Bricktown!

metro
12-06-2006, 11:33 AM
Actually there isn't really a true walk-up coney place in downtown period. Directly across the street Nonna's try's to operate a little one but it's a joke at best. The hours are rarely followed and have the time they are out of stuff. If they didn't already have a successful gift shop and super high end restaurant, the hot dog stand wouldn't be there. On the bright side though, they do serve Nathan's hot dogs. There is also an excellent hot dog shop on the west side of downtown in the Arts District. It's called Coney Island and has been there for decades they are very cheap and also serve spaghetti. Look for the reveiw of that restaurant in the food court if you're interested. I hope this place makes it as the ballpark is seasonal and not everybody wants to go to a ballgame to get walk-up to go food. Hopefully they will serve more than coney's and beer. There is ONE cart guy that sells hot dogs, usually during good weather or on weekends when everyone's out. Nothing that is dependable day in and day out. Hopefully this guy will fill that void.

Doug Loudenback
12-06-2006, 01:32 PM
Actually there isn't really a true walk-up coney place in downtown period. Directly across the street Nonna's try's to operate a little one but it's a joke at best. The hours are rarely followed and have the time they are out of stuff. If they didn't already have a successful gift shop and super high end restaurant, the hot dog stand wouldn't be there. On the bright side though, they do serve Nathan's hot dogs. There is also an excellent hot dog shop on the west side of downtown in the Arts District. It's called Coney Island and has been there for decades they are very cheap and also serve spaghetti. Look for the reveiw of that restaurant in the food court if you're interested. I hope this place makes it as the ballpark is seasonal and not everybody wants to go to a ballgame to get walk-up to go food. Hopefully they will serve more than coney's and beer. There is ONE cart guy that sells hot dogs, usually during good weather or on weekends when everyone's out. Nothing that is dependable day in and day out. Hopefully this guy will fill that void.
Yep, altogether agree with what you said about Coney Island on Main east of the Montgomery. Great dogs, been there forever, and cheap, to boot! If one likes dogs, that's a good place to find 'em! It's not much for looks, but it's good for dogs!

http://www.dougloudenback.com/downtown/coneyisland.jpg

OKCNDN
12-12-2006, 05:25 PM
I am of the opinion that Bricktown may have reached the limit as far as restaurants/eating places until they get a year-round attraction that will attract people who aren't already coming to the Bricktown area.

The Native American Center, the arts museum or the Oklahoma history center, at least one of them and probably all three should have been built along the canal or in Bricktown area.

metro
12-12-2006, 06:19 PM
Bricktown is not saturated with restaurants, its just lacking diversity, there are basically 3 types of restaurants in Bricktown as it stands now. American, Italian and Mexican, each serving a few varities of something else.

TStheThird
12-12-2006, 09:16 PM
I think Bricktown will change quite a bit when the downtown population triples overnight. It will be amazing to watch all the change in downton and midtown over the next two years. We are on the verge...

jbrown84
12-12-2006, 09:26 PM
All of those museums work best in their current locations. Bricktown just isn't right for museums. We need year-round entertainment venues, as well as retail.

johnnyboyokc
12-14-2006, 01:07 AM
forget musems i agree more people more diversity

metro
01-12-2007, 02:11 PM
Hot Dog!
Bricktown cafe tames design fuss to allow opening

By Steve Lackmeyer
Business Writer

Bricktown's newest restaurateurs have spent the last six months trying to "tame” a storefront that was the ire of fellow property owners and yet carry on an inside design that they admit is decidedly "eccentric.”

Spanning only 1,150 square feet, the future Bricktown Coney and Pub at 212 E Sheridan is one of the smallest structures in Bricktown, but its construction lasted four years — almost twice as long as the time spent building the 20,000-seat Ford Center.

"We hear all the time — ‘when are you going to open?'” said Dena Shackelford, who along with fiance Thomas Lindley is hoping to end the suspense later this month. "If the door is open or even unlocked, people come in here just to see what's inside.”

And what's inside may be unlike anything else in Oklahoma City — at least not since the days of Molly Murphey's. Visitors entering the doors are stunned by what they see — Christmas trees and toys on the walls, rocking horses and Red Baron planes hanging from the ceiling, and an assortment of signs, mementos and carvings that could fill a football field of garage and estate sales.

"When people come in, they're like kids again,” Lindley said. "Everybody can relate to something in here.”

That same eclectic design, once applied to the building's 11-foot-wide storefront, led to a months-long stand-off with a Bricktown Urban Design Committee that became fed up with the previous developer's work. In 2005, they even contemplated declaring the unfinished building dilapidated so it could be demolished by the city.

Marsh Pitman, a member of the committee that regulates designs for facade renovations and construction, said the building's previous developer, Scott Millington, repeatedly failed to follow design guidelines for the historic entertainment district.

"He proved to be incapable of finishing the project,” Pitman said.

Millington, an architect and assistant professor at OSU-Oklahoma City, concedes he might not have been a good fit for Bricktown. He said he didn't realize the area had design controls when he bought the private alley next to the Power Alley Parking Garage, and thought he had the freedom to complete the building on his own timetable.

Millington said he started buying doors and mirrors simply to make the inside of the small building appear bigger than it is. But after a few trips to antique stores, his imagination soared. He even rescued liquor bottles from the trash bins to incorporate into mirrors on the building's second floor.

"I kept on going and going,” Millington said. "I thought about Molly Murphey's, and this was the same kind of idea ... I had gotten to be so much a part of this.”

Millington said he tried to "please City Hall” when the Planning Department, representing the design committee, questioned his building's facade.

"My mistake was not finishing the front, leaving it halfway done,” Millington said. "It got pretty ratty.”

After repeated confrontations with the design committee, Millington said he is "ready to get out” and is prepared to sell the property to Lindley and Shackelford after they successfully open for business.

Lindley and Shackelford say they weren't aware of the building's past controversies until they were almost ready to open.

Lindley was a respiratory therapist, Shackelford worked in information technology and both were burned out on their jobs. Now they are pursuing their dream of opening a restaurant. They consulted with friends Rod and Randy Meyer, who operate The Mantle, 201 E Sheridan. The brothers showed the couple several Bricktown properties, but the two would-be buyers didn't like anything they saw until they gazed at the incomplete building across the street. The interior excited Lindley, but Shackelford, a self-described "minimalist,” wondered how they could keep track of the hundreds of collectables spread throughout the restaurant. Lindley added to the clutter, displaying childhood toys and wooden carvings bought in Branson during his youth.

He even tried to continue Millington's work in the second floor bar area, building a 4-foot-deep brown shag-rug covered couch area they call "Sasquatch.”

"If this thing shows up in our home, there might be some issues,” Shackelford joked as Lindley showed off his creation.

The couple said they were told by Millington the city was requiring exterior changes. Only after completing an agreement and spending several months finishing the kitchen, dining area and second floor bar, and obtaining all licensing did they learn of the ill will between Millington and the design committee.

The pair went to John Calhoun, an assistant city planner who oversees design applications and spent hours going through all aspects of the building's exterior designs. Wednesday, they met with the committee and agreed to final changes to open for business.

The committee's objections, which had once included rear gates, front brick designs, windows and roof design, were addressed and whittled down to an 1880s-style door frame, the color of front light fixtures and the addition of a rear second-story railing. And they also have to eliminate a "cherub” unanimously derided by the design committee.

As they finalize their menu, which will range from hot dogs to fried pickles and stuffed olives, the couple hopes curious onlookers will continue to stroll through the front door and out the back.

"This will be a fun, family atmosphere,” Lindley said. "I'm sure it's something people will remember.”

jbrown84
01-12-2007, 02:40 PM
Sounds like this could definitely add some "unique" to Bricktown.

johnnyboyokc
01-14-2007, 11:11 PM
congrats dena!!! im excited for you..........

fsusurfer
01-23-2007, 02:54 PM
Im not really sure I understand..is this place a bar? Do they sevrve drinks? Will they be opened to the late night crowd?

bcp
01-23-2007, 08:21 PM
Hello OKC Talk! I am eager to read all that is associated with the subject of Bricktown Coney and Pub (BCP). I wanted to interject and say Thank You, on behalf of my partner and I at BCP, to "Metro" for your written enthusiasm!

We are very excited to be a part of the Bricktown area, as well as its evolving culture!

We are, of course, looking forward to serving coneys, as well as other menu items. However, than that, we want to be a destination in Bricktown! A place that a "first time customer" wants to, not only refer a friend, but also wants to return! I encourage you all... come in... look around... meet us!

We are in this to have fun! We want our customers to have fun, enjoy themselves, have a quaility coney, that isn't too pricey, and look forward to seeing us again!

We are officially opening Thursday, February 1st! Come see us!!!!

- Dena and Thomas

bcp
01-23-2007, 08:22 PM
Thank you JohnnyBoy... do I know you?

Easy180
01-23-2007, 08:50 PM
Will definitely give you guys a shot in February...All about a good coney

Good luck with the restaurant!

ksearls
01-24-2007, 02:14 PM
Hey Dena!

Send me all of your info (address, hours, phone number and description) and I will add you to the restaurant listing on the downtownokc.com site and put something in the better-late-than-never Skyline Snapshot that will be released tomorrow.

kim@downtownokc.com

jbrown84
01-24-2007, 10:20 PM
Glad to see Bricktown owners continuing to get involved on the site. I hope this does become a destinaton.

scotplum
01-29-2007, 12:44 PM
bcp, I wish you guys were opening tonight. I will say, it will be a perfect option for me to get a bite prior to the Hornets games. I park in the garage next door to you and a coney would more than likely hit the spot on the walk over. I may try to get over there Friday evening to say hello and wish you guys luck.

BailJumper
01-29-2007, 03:48 PM
I am planning on taking my wife within the 1st week. She's the only gal I ever dated that actually liked a chili dog.

Ever since I bought her a Flint, MI. dog though, she says nothing as ever come close to as good. Completely different flavor.

metro
01-30-2007, 11:00 PM
If you're ever in the South Beach (SOBE) , FL area bailjumper, you need to check out Rocky's. By far the best coney and cheese fries I've ever had!

BailJumper
02-01-2007, 02:21 PM
Well, I told several friends downtown about the new coney place. To show our support we got together 13 people and were going to show our support on opening day.

Knowing it was a small space we sent a friend ahead to see if we could all get a table together. We stood outside shivering waiting for a trolley and off we went.

As we ran to the door my buddy stopped us and said they weren't open!

The sign was out front proudly saying "Grand Opening Feb. 1st," the door was unlocked and there were reportedly several people standing inside, but some chick told him they weren't open because of the weather, blah, blah, blah.

What the H**L!??!

You promote a grand opening (in the winter no less) and then don't open because of a winter weather.

If this is any indication of how they do business, you'd better get your dogs quick cuz these weiners aren't gonna make it in Bricktown.

Hot dogs are not a huge sell or big profit margin anyway - throw in flakey management and hours and I see a vacancy sign in their future.

Maybe it's just me, but if a handful of employees could make it (I heard there was at least 4 people at the counter) then I'd darn well open my business. If not, I'd be offering anyone who showed up at my door coupons for a free dog and coke and hope they give me a second try.

So, we all headed to Sonic for an awesome foot long chili dog.

Needless to say I won't be going back any time soon.

Call me impatient but I like details and customer service. Opening day is no excuse for that kind of disaster.

Here's a reminder of what one of the owner's previously posted here...

We are in this to have fun! We want our customers to have fun, enjoy themselves, have a quaility coney, that isn't too pricey, and look forward to seeing us again!

We are officially opening Thursday, February 1st! Come see us!!!!

fsusurfer
02-01-2007, 02:23 PM
umm not good.

scotplum
02-01-2007, 03:14 PM
Ran into someone last night on the way to the Hornets game and they reminded me that they were opening today and to come by. I'm surprised.

jbrown84
02-01-2007, 03:16 PM
My entire office is here today. Don't know why their employees couldn't be there. Chick-fil-a at Rockwell and NW Highway had their grand opening as scheduled on the first bad day of the last storm...

BailJumper
02-01-2007, 08:05 PM
Well, we stopped into a place for a drink after work and I noticed the coney place had their "open" sign on. I guess they decided to open for that dinner hot dog rush.

bcp
02-02-2007, 03:48 PM
Hello to you all!

Bricktown Coney and Pub was open yesterday. Though, admittedly, we did get a late start ,due to late deliveries from some of our vendors, we were, nonetheless, on site and ready to serve around the noon hour.

I am truly sorry for any inconvenience and hope you will give us a second chance.

To those who have come, we have enjoyed visiting with you and we are looking forward to seeing you soon.

Special thanks to Marcus, Donna, Stephanie, Marsh, Johnathan, Park, Mark, Carolyn, Miranda, Laura, Lealon, Everyone at The Mantel, JJ, Micha, Michelle, Denny, Patrick, Martha, Kem, Kris, Elaine, Andy, Brandi, KB, Phil, David, Benji, JD, Chad, Shelly, Dawn, Ginger, Ed, Kristin, John, Angel, Greg, Z, William, Madison, Davis, Edith, Keith, Angela, Ashley, Addie, Karen, Don, Juanita... to you all!!!

Though Thomas and I didn't get the opportunity to meet and everyone, please know we sincerely appreciate that you stopped in on such a cold dreary day!

- Dena

metro
02-02-2007, 04:46 PM
My entire office is here today. Don't know why their employees couldn't be there. Chick-fil-a at Rockwell and NW Highway had their grand opening as scheduled on the first bad day of the last storm...

no kidding, i was one of the fools that camped out there overnight to get a years worth of free combo meals. wind chill was like 6 degrees all night and well, i froze my hot dog off. if they can open in an ice storm, this hot dog place should be able to get their act together in the city's busiest tourist district.

BailJumper
02-02-2007, 05:42 PM
Well someone needs to buy them a new watch as our group didn't even get on the trolley until noon.

Excuses and lies, more secrets of success I'm guessing.

I'm sure 99% of Bricktown didn't even notice so my sarcasm doesn't amount to much.

But scheduling deliveries on opening day? Where is the logic in that? Most successful venues are actually open a week before their grand opeing just to avoid such disasters.

Stinger
02-03-2007, 02:43 PM
My wife and I tried to go by today for lunch. I figured they'd be open on a saturday for lunch. No luck.

We instead went to the greek owned coney island downtown. They had a nice little Saturday crowd.

BailJumper
02-04-2007, 06:18 PM
I see they have a sign now that says open for lunch Monday - Friday at 11:30am.

No weekends and I guess evenings are at the owner's discretion.

Anytakers on how long this place is gonna make it?

My prediction: They never actually make a profit, but out of spite stay open through the summer.

Lauri101
02-05-2007, 05:29 PM
I can tell you one thing - they will get little business from our 250+ office. The majority of us go to lunch at 11 AM.

I give them until September, max.

TheImmortal
02-05-2007, 10:17 PM
Does anyone know the hours of the hot dog place that is connected to Nonna's? If this new coney places keeps up the odd hours and odd service that I read about above, then most potential customers will just walk across the street for their hot dog. Had a similar situation in Edmond the other day. A new gelato/coffee shop opened on Santa Fe and Danforth. A friend of mine tried to go and they had a sign posted that said "closed due to weather", so he just drove over to the Starbucks across the street and got his coffee there. What I do not understand is someone had to go to the place to put up the sign, why not just open? It was snowy and cold...perfect day for coffee. Bad decisions for both of these businesses. However, I plan on stopping in next time I am in Bricktown, hope I guess correctly on the evening hours.

BailJumper
02-06-2007, 05:27 AM
It amazes me how many people go into business and treat it like a hobby. I love to support the small mom and pop business over the chains, but it is just this mindset that makes the chains so successful. I don't think these small businesses realize their patrons take it personally.

fsusurfer
02-06-2007, 07:46 AM
Maybe I'm wrong, but I think this place is wanting to attract more of the evening/late night crowd. It's a pub, right!?

BailJumper
02-06-2007, 08:27 AM
Their sign only says open for lunch and only Monday through Friday.

However, I would imagine things can change on a whim.

jbrown84
02-06-2007, 08:51 AM
If you want a lunch crowd you go to the CBD. If you want a dinner/weekend crowd, you go to Bricktown.

They seem to be mixed up.

bcp
02-06-2007, 10:44 AM
Thank you for all of your suggestions. These are great ideas and will make us provide better service to you, our customers.

We are looking forward to meeting each of you.

- D and T

BailJumper
02-06-2007, 11:59 AM
Did anyone else reading the above message do so using a robot voice, or was it just me?

jbrown84
02-06-2007, 12:32 PM
Yeah something like that. Sure does seem like a canned response.

Dungeon Master
02-06-2007, 06:31 PM
Their sign only says open for lunch and only Monday through Friday.

However, I would imagine things can change on a whim.

Let's hope so...

Stumpy's Burger joint in Bricktown does just about the same thing (sometimes in the evening) but they are open on Saturdays. Many people have mentioned they wished they were open more, including myself. But they don't care.
I would think staying open in the evening during the high point in the seasons would make it worth it but maybe they aren't in it for the money (LOL).
As for a coney/pub place, how is a "PUB" going to make money opening during lunch on weekdays only? Not near as many people will be there to enjoy the "PUB" during those time frames. I've done pub crawls in the past and by far, the evening is more fitting for a drink (or am I missing something here?).

I just don't get why these places don't open on weekends and in the evenings. Are they afraid to make too much money?

Can you say Boones?

Just my thoughts.

Easy180
02-06-2007, 07:25 PM
Sounds as if this restaurant isn't their sole income or their hours would be much better

fsusurfer
02-06-2007, 07:45 PM
Let's hope so...

Stumpy's Burger joint in Bricktown does just about the same thing (sometimes in the evening) but they are open on Saturdays. Many people have mentioned they wished they were open more, including myself. But they don't care.
I would think staying open in the evening during the high point in the seasons would make it worth it but maybe they aren't in it for the money (LOL).
As for a coney/pub place, how is a "PUB" going to make money opening during lunch on weekdays only? Not near as many people will be there to enjoy the "PUB" during those time frames. I've done pub crawls in the past and by far, the evening is more fitting for a drink (or am I missing something here?).

I just don't get why these places don't open on weekends and in the evenings. Are they afraid to make too much money?

Can you say Boones?

Just my thoughts.

I went jogging by tonight and checked the sign on the door. Said they would be open from 5pm-2am Friday and Saturday. As I said before, I think their plan is to become more of a local watering hole on the weekend than a big time eatery during the week.

xusnsailor
02-14-2007, 08:54 AM
I have been to BCP many times since it has opened. What makes the place the kinda of place I want to revisit is the great coneys, grand atmosphere, and two of the best people you could ever meet. It seems some of you have a personal vendetta against this place for one reason or another. They have worked really hard to get this place open as soon as possible and everything hasn't completely gone to plan, but it is a great place for a great coney. I know they plan on being nice quite place to get away during the lunch hour and a nice watering hole to hang out at night. Go by and visit with Dena and Tom....you will be glad you did

:band:

BailJumper
02-14-2007, 09:01 AM
Pleez - Joined Today. Has only made this post.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmm

Like it or not this is a forum where people share their ideas and opinions. Just because you don't like it doesn't make it a "personal vendetta."

I have been the biggest critic and certainly have no "vendetta" as i tried to take a trolley full of friends to go eat there on their "grand opening."

I very much support new businesses in Bricktown or anywhere else in the OKC area. However, I do not do as some here and sugar coat every topic and cheerlead for the sake of cheerleading.

BCP got off to an unprofessional start and sending you to defend their honor only magnifies that point.

I stand by my prediction they are gone inside a year.

xusnsailor
02-14-2007, 09:44 AM
Aren't you friendly!! If I had meant to single you out I would have. I see no need in running some others opinions through the mud just because mine is different. My opinion is that is "seemed" like some of you had personal vendettas because how vehemently you gave your opinion. I guess you have been the biggest critic, but you were a big critic even before you had the opening day experience. I applaud you for your intensity, but I see no reason why you should attack my opinion because it is starkly different than yours. Simply, I had a much different experience than you did and thought it should be shared to everyone that is interested. I think that this is my first post and that I just joined the sight really has no bearing on how I feel about the establishment. I have been a lurker of this sight for a while and finally decided I wanted to reply to this particular post. I am a frequent visitor to establishments in bricktown/downtown and feel I have the same right that you do to post on here. Is is okay that I join this sight and give an opinion that might be different than yours? Who knows maybe on some of the other threads we just might agree....will you point out that it is only my 12th, 25th, or 100th post? :fighting4

BailJumper
02-14-2007, 10:03 AM
If i take you at your word then while you've been lurking for so many months here, the only topic that moved you to actually register and post was the one regarding hot dogs? Wow, that's really deep.

Aren't you friendly!
Not really.

AFCM
02-14-2007, 10:38 AM
Xusnsailor, welcome to okctalk. One thing you'll learn about the folks on this board, is although it may seem like it, we're not pessimists. In fact, we're optimists who truly believe in OKC. When we critique something in particular, we tend to have high expectations as a result of this optimism and too often, we're disappointed, especially when a development or business doesn't even come close to the hype it generated.

You see, I think most of the people on the forums have high expectations but are pretty reasonable. I want nothing but 10's to go up in Oklahoma City, but I'm a realist so I'll settle for sevens and depending on the circumstances, maybe a six. However, it seems like Oklahoma City keeps getting threes and four. Granted, what we're getting is better than what we had ten years ago, but we know Oklahoma City's potential and we've seen subpar developments come one after another. Over time, we start thinking of future projects cautiously optimistic. We only want what's best for OKC and Bricktown, but we're not going to let the hype of a particular business blind us into not seeing it's faults. I hope BPC can stay, but I've seen a lot of establishments dry up in Bricktown. I will say that BPC didn't get off to a great start.

Again. Welcome to the board.

xusnsailor
02-14-2007, 11:03 AM
Thanks for the welcome!! :tiphat: I understand your fervor for wanting only the best of businesses or OKC. I want the same. I guess I didn't go to the place with as high expectations as others. I do agree that it didn't get off to such a great start. What I do know is that I enjoy the place, and wanted to give a different view than what was already on here. :ridem:

metro
02-14-2007, 02:57 PM
I'm going to have to go with BailJumper and AFCM. You joining this site and making your first post about hot dogs is kind of sketchy in regards to this topic. We're realists. Too often a time, when any business is criticized on here one or a few people join the site, defend the business, and then disappear. Kind of makes you wonder if they aren't the owners or have some sort of personal tie to that business. I'm not sure what type of "personal vendetta" any of us here who don't even know the owners would have something personal against a hot dog stand??

BPC got off to a horrible start and didn't live up to the hype as AFCM put it. It's a hot dog stand and bar for crying out loud, they need all the help they can get, especially in a make or break area like Bricktown. Word of mouth is everything for places like this. To have wish washy hours simply doesn't cut it for downtowners who run a tight schedule. I ate there last week after supposively the "kinks" are now worked out. Dena was very friendly, however she kept throwing excuses out. Oh our hours vary because we were working on our sign out front or putting up flyers, etc. That is stuff that should be done when the business is not open. Call me crazy but there was a sign out before the restaurant even opened to the public. I'd love to see several more of these small alleyway restaurants in the downtown area, but they're going to have to realize it can't be a hobby. As AFCM said well, we shoot for 10's and hope we get a 7 or 8 at least. So far, this place has been about a 4 or 5. I will give them the fact their hotdogs are pretty tasty, however they only have one coney to choose from. The rest of the menu is fries, cheese fries, etc.

BailJumper
03-02-2007, 08:49 AM
Okay, so I gave this place another shot this week and took the wife and a co-worker.

First, the decor is great. I love a mish-mash of garage sale leftovers, 'antiques,' and signage. The small square footage and narrow layout are very unique to Bricktown. I truly wish we had an entire row of such places - reminds me of NYC.

Personally, I do not think a few tables and bar stools facing the wall makes for a good pub atmosphere, but we'll see.

The bar upstairs, while tiny seemed fun. Maybe it's just me, but I'd hate to know what all is embedded in that shag rug couch.

Overall I'd give the decor, layout and atmosphere a 7/10.

On to the menu... This is where the place falls flat. While the atmosphere my be unique the menu can be found in virtually any snack bar downtown and for alot less money.

As stated before, they have one style of hotdog and it's not even a foot long. Your basic tiny weiner on a bun with chili, cheese and onions. At least the cheese was shredded and not nacho cheese goop.

They offer your basic fried this and that (fries, tamales, pickles, etc.) and stuffed olives.

We did dogs, fried pickles, fries and a tamale.

The owner bragged about his chili he claims to have been working on for over a year. While good, it was nothing to brag about.

Overall the hot dog was tasty, but it's gonna take two to fill up most people and at nearly $3 each is overpriced. You can easily pay $7-$10 per lunch. At that price Bricktown offers many more satisfying choices.

You can go to Sonic and get a very tasty footlong and tots for $2.99. Or, go a few more blocks to Coney Island and get a fantastic dog for about $1.30. Also, if you've never had the dog at Sweets and Eats, you should try it and even it is cheaper than Bricktown Coney.

The fried pickles were very tasty but seemed to come frozen from some food supplier.

The tamale was a joke. I've had better and cheaper from 7-11. We couldn't even figure out why it was on the menu.

The fries were again nothing special and obviously frozen.

Overall I'd rate the food a 5/10 and the value for the money a 4/10.

We may stop in after the omelette party at the Coca Cola Center just to see if they are attracting a night crowd.

Lastly, lets talk marketing; In a nutshell, this place doesn't even exist. They own a domain name This Web site coming soon (http://www.BricktownPub.com), but they've yet to even post anything. Downtown OKC spelled their domain name wrong. I don't fault DTOKC, I fault the Coney owners for not carefully monitoring their Internet presence.

Again, a year at best if this places doesn't make some changes and even at that I predict it never makes a profit.

One piece of advice, sell the decor with the place as someone with some real vision can make it very cool! Personally, I'd love to see a row of these turned into shotgun condos with faux store fronts!

fsusurfer
03-02-2007, 08:54 AM
I am not sure this place will ever make a lot of money, but I have a feeling during baseball season, they will draw a pretty good crowd.

BailJumper
03-03-2007, 04:52 PM
I'd take that bet. Part of thew whole 'baseball experience' is sitting down IN THE STANDS with a cold beer, some hot peanuts and a coney or slice of pizza.

We go to games all the time and can't think of a single time we stopped to eat before the game. Besides, at $3.00 a dog you can pay that inside.

fsusurfer
03-03-2007, 09:32 PM
I live downtown, I go to games all the time. I dont usually eat inside the stadium. We always go somewhere before the game to eat and get liquored up before going inside the game and paying 6 dollars a beer (except on Thursday). The late night summer crowd will most likley give this place some business. I've been by several times around 1am on the weekends and there are always people inside drinking. This place is going to be more of a late night attraction than a eating establishment.

Nixon7
08-26-2007, 09:16 AM
Did this place close down? Lights were off last night..

Lauri101
08-26-2007, 05:05 PM
See post # 36 - looks like I missed it by a week or so!