View Full Version : What's on your TIVO/DVR?

BailJumper
12-04-2006, 04:51 PM
We started out with TIVO and then went to DVR (big mistake) about a year ago.

Now we are addicted to pre-recorded shows. We love watching TV when we want and without commercials!

It also opened us up to many shows we never previously watched.

So, what's on your TIVO/DVR?

As for us...

The wife records her favorite soap - Days

Together we record;
Flip this House
3 1/2 Men (because we watch it after the kiddo goes to bed. He thinks we are so square)
Desperate Housewives (same reason as above)
Shark
Boston Legal
Battlestar Galactica (sp)
and I routinely go through Discovery and History channels and record random shows throughout the week.
I also record whatever news channels I am not going to watch live at 10pm.

Your turn

Easy180
12-04-2006, 06:31 PM
Myself...Nip/Tuck, House, Boston Legal and Heroes

Wifey...What Not to Wear, The OC, Grey's, Housewives that are desperate and the occasional Dr Phil and Oprah :fighting3

Kerry
12-04-2006, 06:57 PM
Wife: The Unit, Housewives, Most awards shows, The View, and Regis and Kelly
Me: Mostly home improvement shows (Toolbelt Diva is good)
Both: Survivor, Amazing Race, OU football.
Kids: Josh and Drake, Sponge Bob, Scooby Doo.

Even my 5 year old son can operate almost every function with TIVO so we end up with several hours of kids programming.

MadMonk
12-04-2006, 07:24 PM
The Office
30 Rock
Battlestar Galactica
How It's Made
John Ratzenberger's Made in America
Mind of Mencia (funniest guy on TV)
X-Men III (haven't watched it yet)
Click (Also, haven't watched yet)
My wife records her soap opera and watches 3-5 days at a time.
My kids record a few of their favorite Disney shows

My living room sat receiver is Tivo-based. I got it back before DirecTV went with their own DVR. The one is the bedroom is a regular DirecTV DVR. I prefer the Tivo by a country mile. It's has a much more user-friendly interface and the remote is light-years ahead of the DVR's.

jbrown84
12-04-2006, 11:15 PM
Haha. You asked...

Sunday
Reba
The Amazing Race
Desperate Housewives
Brothers & Sisters (best new show)

Monday
Prison Break/How I Met Your Mother & The Class
Heroes (second best new show)
Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip

Tuesday
Friday Night Lights
Veronica Mars
My Boys

Wednesday
Jericho
Lost
The Nine

Thursday
The Office
The O.C/Supernatural/Scrubs & 30 Rock
ER

Friday
Battlestar Galactica (moving to Sundays)

Spartan
12-05-2006, 12:42 AM
So....

Wouldn't be going through television withdrawal, now would we? I can hardly imagine having the time of day to sit on my fat lard and watch that much TV everyday...

BailJumper
12-05-2006, 05:47 AM
Spartan, that's the best part. We save most of our shows for the weekends. We used to go out every weekend out of bordom. We'd have dinner and go to a movie usually. Now we look forward to the weekends and all our shows. We added it up one time and we have saved quite a bit of money. Plus, when you take out the commercials the shows go by pretty quick.

Hey, does TIVO now work with HDTV? We got rid of it when we bought all HDTV's and at the time TIVO would not work with our cox HD set. I assume they have corrected this.

I loved TIVO for many reasons. DVR is basically just a fancy VCR, but TIVO is so much more!

I forgot to add Dirty Jobs to my list - we love that show.

Pete
12-05-2006, 08:25 AM
With TiVo, you can watch a 1/2 hour show in less than 15 minutes because you skip the intro, commercials and credits.

I record:

Nova
Frontline
The Office
Arrested Development
Any and all OU sports
This Old House
The Dog Whisperer
Extreme Engineering
Movies galore

I also use a DVD burner to offload movies into my permanent collection.

writerranger
12-05-2006, 04:58 PM
So....

Wouldn't be going through television withdrawal, now would we? I can hardly imagine having the time of day to sit on my fat lard and watch that much TV everyday...

I think that's the point. You can load up TIVO and watch only what you want in just a few sittings rather than doing it on the network's schedule. Speaking of sitting on your lard, do you post, respond and manage all the forums you do - while exercising?

---------------

Pete
12-05-2006, 06:37 PM
TiVo basically lets you cull through the thousands of hours of programming and distills it into a couple hours worth viewing every night.

My routine is to not turn the TV on until about 8:30, watch for about an hour and a half, and that properly decompresses me after a long day.

And I just hold movies until I have some time I want to relax and automatically records my favories (using directors and actors as keywords) and about once a week there is a nice surprise waitng for me.

The other thing I do is use the category function to browse through documentaries every few weeks... I'm a big fan of that format so I snag a whole bunch of them and if they turn out to be stinkers (which you can within 5 minutes) they get deleted and I move on.

There is plenty of worthwhile programming if you take the trouble to set the thing up properly.

Easy180
12-05-2006, 07:02 PM
I think that's the point. You can load up TIVO and watch only what you want in just a few sittings rather than doing it on the network's schedule. Speaking of sitting on your lard, do you post, respond and manage all the forums you do - while exercising?

---------------

Good one writerranger...Was kind of thinking the same thing after reading what you wrote spartan :tiphat:

Jack Wonder
12-06-2006, 01:47 PM
The worst thing about my DVR is that I wasn't alerted that recording in HD slices the amount of recording space into about 1/4!!!!

But I guess I could have figured that out if I'd thought about it more...

Jack Wonder
12-06-2006, 01:49 PM
My DVR list looks something like this:

*Random ESPN programming
*Nip/Tuck (x5)
*Heroes (x4)
*The Office
*Movies in HD that I still haven't watched: Constantine, Scent of a Woman, Harry Potter 4, etc...