View Full Version : About:blank

redredwine
11-29-2006, 03:03 PM
About: Blank.............
Once upon a time I got rid of this, now it is back. Has anyone ever had this little hijacker and how can I rid my puter of it? I have Spybot, Adaware, and Xoftspy, and the Yahoo antivirus/spyware that comes with the DSL....any ideas other than those?

ibda12u
11-29-2006, 05:05 PM
Ouch, that's a very difficult virus to get rid of, I haven't seen it in a while, but I think there is some hidden dll file that keeps bringing it back. I'll have to google it and get refreshed, but one thing you can do. is download ccleaner. (crap cleaner, you can google it) You may even want to look at windows defender a/v. which you can download from their webpage. Once everything is installed. I'd reboot in safe mode, unplug from the internet (or disable your NIC). Then run ccleaner first, then windows defender. once it's done I'd run ccleaner again. doesn't hurt :) just make sure you don't go back into regular windows mode, and no internet until you've completely ran complete scan, and fix.

I'll look up some more when I get back in, I'm headed out to church.

dirtrider73068
11-29-2006, 06:02 PM
I have had those, sounds like a broweser highjack, if S&D didn't rid it then boot in safe mode, then run spybot again and it should get rid of it, or you cna open IE then go to tools internet opens and change your homepage there, i fit can't be changed be in safe mode, it only loads the very min to run windows and turns everything else off, you should more luck with deleteing it there.

redredwine
11-30-2006, 07:49 AM
How do I boot in safe mode? thank you you guys!!!!! Congrats on your house D.R.!!! that is so cool!

dirtrider73068
11-30-2006, 09:11 AM
go to the start menu and choose run, then type in msconfig, when that opens there will be a tab for boot, in there is a box for safe mode click that and restart, after you are done repeat the msconfig unclick the safe mode box.

ibda12u
11-30-2006, 12:01 PM
or when you reboot your pc and get to your windows xp splash screen (the very first windows screen you see) hit F8 and you should be able to pic safe mode.

redredwine
12-03-2006, 12:06 PM
or when you reboot your pc and get to your windows xp splash screen (the very first windows screen you see) hit F8 and you should be able to pic safe mode.

Ok then when I do that can I run my aboutbuster, cwshredder, ad aware etc, then when I am done can I go back to the regular mode by doing the same process, reboot then f8 then pick normal mode, not safe?

dirtrider73068
12-03-2006, 01:46 PM
You can run your adware programs, and anti virus in safe mode, if you do it they way he says all you have to do is reboot it will automatically restart back in normal mode, if you go the way I said you will have to run msconfig again then choose regluar mode then reboot.

ibda12u
12-04-2006, 01:17 AM
dirtrider is exactly correct.

redredwine
12-04-2006, 07:50 AM
Ok I did what you said. Here is my problem I am having. When Yahoo dsl asked me to upgrade, you know every now and then they send an update to download etc for your dsl. when I did that, now every time I log on or type my password in to log on, it just sits there, does nothing. I usually have to reboot and click off the log in to messenger thing, and then log in without logging in to messenger at the same time. I am not sure if this is a messenger problem, or virus. It is just REALLLLYYY acting slow, and with dsl usually it is super fast.

redredwine
12-04-2006, 07:50 AM
It is slow with everything, like things get frozen on there.

dirtrider73068
12-04-2006, 03:45 PM
I was told by another computer guy that dsl is actually slower than cable, I have had both and when I had my sbc dsl *yuck* it seemed slow, now that I have cox cable it runs faster, though it does have its moment guess when bunch of people are hogging the bandwith. OIf you have celaned all your files, temp, cache, internet temp files, cleaned all spyware out, virus scan comes back in good order it could be that update is reason its running slow. If you have system restore, you could go back to a restore point before downloading the update and see if it speeds it up, or delete the dsl, and reload it and go from there. But if the dsl is makeing the computer run slwo I would give them a call and tell them its running slow after you did there update.

redredwine
12-05-2006, 06:48 AM
K thanks!!!

pepper37
01-14-2007, 03:10 PM
I have been trying to get rid of this virus for a couple of weeks now and as a newcomer to the okctalk site, was thrilled to see your ideas. I was able to use your ideas and so far, so good. I know this is an old thread, but I am so grateful to have gotten rid of the about:blank problem. thanks!

dirtrider73068
01-14-2007, 03:24 PM
Thats good a old thread you found help you with a probelm, if you need anymore help with something and don't see an answer somewhere post it somebody may be able to help you out.

redredwine
01-14-2007, 03:30 PM
Thats good a old thread you found help you with a probelm, if you need anymore help with something and don't see an answer somewhere post it somebody may be able to help you out.

You are so nice dirtrider!!!!!!!!!

dirtrider73068
01-14-2007, 03:44 PM
You are so nice dirtrider!!!!!!!!!

Thanks thats my nature is to be nice, unless somebody does something that really annoys me or gets to me, but most time I just blow it off and go on. Being nice is what we all should be, and to help each other out.

redredwine
01-15-2007, 07:46 AM
Thanks thats my nature is to be nice, unless somebody does something that really annoys me or gets to me, but most time I just blow it off and go on. Being nice is what we all should be, and to help each other out.

I agree.