View Full Version : Paper money, coins, or both?

Patrick
11-29-2006, 12:02 PM
Would you rather the currency consist of more coins, more paper bills, or as is. For example, would you like to see quarters become bills? What about pennies? What about dollar coins? 5 dollar coins?

mranderson
11-29-2006, 02:32 PM
If we had what are now coins as paper bills, I can just hear the "tree huggers" now. They complain way too much as it is.

No. Leave it alobe except it is time to update the coins. Afterall, how long have these guys been dead anyway?

Karried
11-29-2006, 05:26 PM
What exactly is a tree hugger MrAnderson?

bandnerd
11-29-2006, 05:48 PM
Afterall, how long have these guys been dead anyway?

Uhhh...I don't really know what to say about that.

I think it's fine the way it is.

mranderson
11-29-2006, 08:02 PM
What exactly is a tree hugger MrAnderson?

What do you think it is?

Karried
11-29-2006, 08:10 PM
Someone who hugs a tree?

MadMonk
11-29-2006, 09:22 PM
If we had what are now coins as paper bills, I can just hear the "tree huggers" now. They complain way too much as it is.

No. Leave it alobe except it is time to update the coins. Afterall, how long have these guys been dead anyway?
The "treehuggers" wouldn't have much to complain about. Money is mostly made of linen (about 75% with the rest being cotton).

mranderson
11-30-2006, 03:31 AM
The "treehuggers" wouldn't have much to complain about. Money is mostly made of linen (about 75% with the rest being cotton).

Just like every other liberal, they will find something to complain about concerning the issue.

Karried
11-30-2006, 05:55 AM
It seems like the only one complaining around here is You about the Liberals perceived 'hypothetical complaints' ..... I was trying to figure out what 'tree huggers' had to do with this post but you didn't clarify.

Please refrain from bringing in your political prejudices and insults on this subject. It's off Topic.

NE Oasis
11-30-2006, 02:04 PM
If I were King-
1. eliminate pennies
2. eliminate dollar bills, because that's the only way to make the dollar coin work.
3. establish a date when the older versions of those bills have been udpated
(fives and twenties ?) are no longer legal tender. The current system makes life too easy for counterfieters(sp).
:Smiley053

bandnerd
11-30-2006, 02:13 PM
I just don't understand how something made of linen is going to make the "tree-hugging liberals" upset. Not all liberals are environmentalists, and not all environmentalists are "tree-huggers." This is completely irrelevant to the question at hand.

Answer

The paper used to print money is called "rag" -- it actually contains a significant amount of cloth to help prevent ripping and extend the life of the bills.

So you're not really killing trees to make the "paper" as it is really cloth. Problem solved.

mranderson
11-30-2006, 02:21 PM
I just don't understand how something made of linen is going to make the "tree-hugging liberals" upset. Not all liberals are environmentalists, and not all environmentalists are "tree-huggers." This is completely irrelevant to the question at hand.

Answer

The paper used to print money is called "rag" -- it actually contains a significant amount of cloth to help prevent ripping and extend the life of the bills.

So you're not really killing trees to make the "paper" as it is really cloth. Problem solved.

I have yet to see, hear, or read about a liberal that understands. Hense, closed minded. BTW. This IS on topic, regardless of who disagrees.

Karried
11-30-2006, 02:28 PM
A close minded liberal...lol

This IS on topic, regardless of who disagrees. How so?

bandnerd
11-30-2006, 02:41 PM
Well, because he said so, duh! :rolleyes:

Patrick
11-30-2006, 04:51 PM
Tree huggers are people like myself that are very liberal, and favor the environment. Tree huggers coin money over paper money, because to produce paper money, one has to cut down trees, which harms the environment. If money were really made from paper instead of linen, think of how many trees we'd have to cut down to produce the nation's money.

Karried
11-30-2006, 05:23 PM
I'm so confused.. I thought money was NOT made from paper... do tree huggers want to protect linen?

Now, I favor the environment and believe in protecting it and preserving for the future generations, but I can't recall the last time I hugged a tree.. why would I do that?

bandnerd
11-30-2006, 06:03 PM
... because to produce paper money, one has to cut down trees, which harms the environment. If money were really made from paper instead of linen, think of how many trees we'd have to cut down to produce the nation's money.

See, this is confusing. First you say we have paper money, and it requires trees. Then you say if we had "paper" money, then we would have to cut down more trees.

Yes, if we went to "paper" money, then we would have to cut down more trees, and that would not be good for the environment. As it is, however, "paper" money is not made from paper, as it would not last long enough. The cloth used to make "paper" money is more durable.

So are we talking about hypothetical "paper" money or what our paper currency is really made out of?

MadMonk
11-30-2006, 08:42 PM
Money is made from linen (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linen) (from the flax plant) and cotton (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cotton). No wood paper is involved whatsoever.

"Treehugger (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Treehugger)" is a derogatory term for environmental extremists. I think it originally came as a result of those people who would chain themselves to trees to stop logging companies from chopping them down. I don't think that any reasonable person who is a proponent of nature conservation (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Environmentalist) could be classified as one, but there are some really nutty people (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eco-terrorism) who do.
:tiphat: