View Full Version : Communion

Patrick
11-29-2006, 11:57 AM
What does communion mean to you?

Keith
11-29-2006, 09:29 PM
What does communion mean to you?
To me, it is a very special "ceremony" where we drink the grape juice/wine that represents Christ's blood that was shed for our sins, and we eat the unleavened bread that represents his human body that was sacrificed for our sins. It is a remembrance of what Christ did for me....dying on the cross for my sins.

Karried
11-30-2006, 06:25 AM
Free crackers and juice.

Just kidding..

redredwine
11-30-2006, 07:46 AM
Free crackers and juice.

Just kidding..

LMAO!!!!!!!!!!!

I am Catholic, so to me it means I am forgiven, but to some Catholics, may mean different things. To each his own....

Martin
11-30-2006, 07:57 AM
i'd say i agree with keith here. the only thing i'd add is that scripture says (mainly in acts) that this is done each week. i don't believe that scripture teaches that communion forgives us of our sins.

keith, why did you put 'ceremony' in quotes? just curious. -M

redredwine
11-30-2006, 08:20 AM
I did not say it forgave US of our sins, I said I felt forgiven.....as in INDIVIDUALLY. It means different to everyone, my husband has a whole different view. I was not raised Catholic, nor can I QUOTE scripture, but was raised Lutheran, so basically have had communion my whole life, still meant the same then also....

Martin
11-30-2006, 08:28 AM
whoa there... don't take it personally. there are many christian ideologies that teach that communion forgives people of their sins... including catholicism. i was stating that i disagree with that notion and that i believe that scripture disagrees with it as well.

if you feel forgiven by taking communion... that's great. i'm not discounting your feelings or beliefs, only stating my own. -M

redredwine
11-30-2006, 08:34 AM
whoa there... don't take it personally. there are many christian ideologies that teach that communion forgives people of their sins... including catholicism. i was stating that i disagree with that notion and that i believe that scripture disagrees with it as well.

if you feel forgiven by taking communion... that's great. i'm not discounting your feelings or beliefs, only stating my own. -M

Cool!!!!!!!!!! and it was not taken personally. I think sometimes things sound SO blunt on here, when they are not meant to. It is hard to read the tone with typing. So it is ok. I became Catholic in 1993. My husband is and has always been, I was nothing, really, in between religion, you know the story. I felt since I was not really anything, I should become, which I needed in my life anyway. All 3 of our kids have been baptized there from infants. There are alot of things I disagree with, but some I love about being Catholic. Communion is one of them I love.

Keith
11-30-2006, 05:50 PM
i'd say i agree with keith here. the only thing i'd add is that scripture says (mainly in acts) that this is done each week. i don't believe that scripture teaches that communion forgives us of our sins.

keith, why did you put 'ceremony' in quotes? just curious. -M
To me, it is a ceremony, because we set aside a special time during the service to do it. Sometimes, for some people, communion seems to be a routine, and then it starts to lose its meaning.

Ceremony may not have been the best word to use, but it was the only word I could think of.......because ceremonies are celebrations of special events.

Martin
11-30-2006, 08:00 PM
i see... i thought you might be communicating something extra with the quotes that i was quite understanding... thanks for clarifying. -M

MadMonk
11-30-2006, 08:54 PM
Ritual cannabalism.
(Just kidding!)

Karried, the "free crackers and juice" cracked me up. :D