View Full Version : Preparing for upcoming snow storm

Patrick
11-28-2006, 10:16 AM
How are you preparing for the upcoming snow storm?

MadMonk
11-28-2006, 10:49 AM
Burning a chimney-sweeping log in preparation for burning a bunch of wood in our fireplace.

I'm sooo glad that I finished putting up Christmas lights on my house last weekend. :)

jbrown84
11-28-2006, 11:22 AM
What upcoming snowstorm?

Easy180
11-28-2006, 12:57 PM
The massive snowstorm expected to bury us in 3 to 5 inches

Actual will most likely be less than inch as the weather guys have been bored to death so far this year

I gas up and my wife throws some stuff in the backseat of my car is all

ksearls
11-28-2006, 01:39 PM
Red Wine
Green Chile Stew
Logs for Fire

bandnerd
11-28-2006, 01:45 PM
Oh yeah, I need gas...guess I'll get that today when I go to pick up my new sleigh bells lol.

SoonerDave
11-28-2006, 01:46 PM
Snowstorm?

Did someone say snowstorm??

Pardon me while I laugh hysterically to myself for a moment.

LOL Oklahoma City doesn't have snowstorms.

I was born in Buffalo, NY, where they have *real* winters. My mom laughs hysterically when they all go ballistic down here over a half-dozen snowflakes in the backyard, and jump into five-star screaming hysterics if the temperature brushes 30..

The only thing that is truly worse here than Buffalo about wintertime is that we more often get *ice-covered* roads, whereas the Buffalo areas in the northeast get *snow-covered" roads. The former, down here, does nothing to stop the yahoos from driving normal highway speeds and careening into other cars, people, or buildlings.

The worst winter I can remember down here was about 28 years ago (had to be Winter of 1978), where I was in the 8th grade and the snow was so bad that we were packing up to leave school just about the time the buses arrived at school. Ended up having to make up a day on a Saturday!!

We had literally two or more feet of snow on the ground, and it was drifting like crazy. Never seen anything like it - not even close - since. Don't expect we ever will, frankly.

-SoonerDave

bandnerd
11-28-2006, 01:54 PM
The thing is, though, is people from up north can make fun of us all they want; BUT you have to remember that for us, 30° IS cold, and 9" of snow is a lot of snow.

They complain when it's 90 there. For them, that's really hot. For us, well, in the summer that's a pretty cool day!

Lauri101
11-28-2006, 03:27 PM
Filled up car with gas, refrigerator with food and laptop with work to do at home!

With a $1000 deductible on auto insurance, I'll stay home if there is ice on the road. Snow? ehhh - no big deal.

fsusurfer
11-28-2006, 03:41 PM
how much snow are we supposed to get? I heard only an inch or so...

jbrown84
11-28-2006, 03:44 PM
When is this supposed to happen?

metro
11-28-2006, 04:21 PM
tomorrow and thursday

maestro
11-28-2006, 05:19 PM
Stoli, some books, and the tv remote.

MrZ
11-28-2006, 06:02 PM
I wish we would get a snowstorm. I remember the one from '78 or '79 or whenever. I moved to Upper Michigan for a few years after that and saw real snow, but would be cool for my kids to actually have snow deep enough to make snow angels or build a decent snow fort. Maybe we'll get lucky and the weather will be just right this time.

venture
11-28-2006, 07:40 PM
Dave I'm with you here. Grew up in the Great Lakes as well, just on the "wrong" side of Lake Erie. LOL Missed out on the 78 Blizzard but the pictures I saw from my hometown were amazing. Snow drifts well over houses and what not.

It is all relative I guess, but I still love how people go nuts with a little white stuff. That is what scares me the most. Up north people know how to drive on this, down here they think their pick up truck is going to save them. Of course I end up laughing at them as I pass them while they are laying sideways in the ditch. Natural selection - get stupid and that's what you deserve.

And unlike what someone else says...the heat doesn't bother me at all. I does get over 100 plenty in the Great Lakes...and a lot more humid. :)

bandnerd
11-28-2006, 09:43 PM
I think the ground is going to be too warm no matter how cold the air temperature gets. It'll just melt when it hits. If it had been colder, like in the 40's and 50's for the past two weeks, then I'd be a little more concerned. But since the three days before the front comes through it's been in the upper 60's and 70's, I'm really not even considering the notion of having a "snowstorm" that will cause any major issues here.

But frankly, I just try not to get my hopes up. They always get crushed so if it does happen, then it's a big ol' surprise!

BG918
11-28-2006, 11:56 PM
It will probably snow hard Thurs. morning but the ground is warm and the heaviest snow is forecast for east of OKC. I would be surprised if we receive 1-2 inches. Points to the north and east with get a lot more, like Tulsa which always gets quite a bit more snow than OKC.

sweetdaisy
11-29-2006, 11:59 AM
My only concern is ice-covered bridges...Belle Isle bridge, anyone? :)

But, I went ahead and got my tire pressure checked today and gassed up in case of traffic. Throw in an ice scraper and I'll be good to go. I survived many snowy drives in Michigan in my little Honda Civic...not gonna get too worked up about some drizzle.