View Full Version : Enlarge the East Wharf Lighthouse

Patrick
11-27-2006, 07:46 PM
It never ceases to amaze me just how thrilled people get over the lighthouse at Lake Hefner. The structure is pre-fab concrete and couldn't sit higher than about 10-15 feet. I guess I just can't get too excited about this structure when I've been on lighthouse tours on the east coast in Maine.

Another Randy Hogan project to laugh at I suppose.

I'd like to see the existing light house leveled, and a real light house erected. Could you imagine a 5-10 story light house, complete with an observation deck around the working light at top inside of the tower? And a house next door with a muesum about Lake Hefner and light houses?

Some people in Oklahoma City obviously live sheltered lives.

My attempt isn't to bash what we have, but to say we can do better. We need to think outside the box, and think first class. I think that's why Randy Hogan upsets me so much. He only thinks about dollar signs, and how little he can spend to make so much. We need someone that really cares about OKC being a first class city.

I guess I'm thinking too much.

Spartan
11-27-2006, 07:51 PM
I've always thought that lighthouse would be a neat place to live...

Patrick
11-27-2006, 08:03 PM
Yeah, if you were skinny enough! I'm not even sure Keith could make it through the front door! LOL! Just kidding with ya, Keith.

jbrown84
11-27-2006, 10:00 PM
Well, I know it's kind of a joke to look at as is, but building one the size of a legitimate (needed) lighthouse seems like the kind of thing that would really get sneers from out-of-towners, especially those from the coasts who know what lighthouses are actually for. At least now people know it's just for looks. And yet it would be cool to have a bigger, more realistic one. I think it would make a cool place for a restaurant.

Anyway, I guess Randy Hogan never saw Pete's Dragon.

Patrick
11-28-2006, 10:11 AM
I thought the idea of a Lighthouse Restaurant was a good one, but unfortunately, Switzer never got the idea off the ground. Corpus Christi, TX, has a Lighthouse Restaurant in their harbor that I've been to numerous times. Very nice.

Patrick
11-28-2006, 10:12 AM
Here's a real lighthouse...Portland Head Light in Portland, Maine.

http://www.irasperipheralvisions.com/images/Portland_Head_Light_7.jpg

Patrick
11-28-2006, 10:13 AM
Even if we were going with a smaller structure, the least we could do is use some white brick, instead of pre-fab concrete. Just my opinion.

citizenkane
11-30-2006, 09:27 PM
Why does Lake Hefner even need a lighthouse?

Luke
11-30-2006, 09:38 PM
Cuz it's cool.

writerranger
11-30-2006, 09:43 PM
Here's an interesting article from Lighthouse Digest Magazine.....

Sooner State Shines

By Bill Edwards
http://www.lighthousedepot.com/digest/minis/4460.jpg
East Wharf Lighthouse on Lake Hefner, Oklahoma.
Photo by: Bill Edwards

What are some of the things that Oklahoma is known for?

College Football?

Tornadoes?

Oil?

But did you know that the Sooner State is also known for the most inland working lighthouse in the United States? That is according to Flotilla 16-6, the Oklahoma City Auxiliary branch of the 8 Western Rivers Region of the U.S. Coast Guard.

Right in the nation’s heartland, in Oklahoma City, is Lake Hefner. Built in 1947, the lake is more than two miles wide, has 17 miles of lakeshore and is 94 feet at its deepest point. The lake is a drinking water source and recreational venue for Oklahoma City. In 1999, it also became the site for the East Wharf Lighthouse.

In the 1990s, the city formed a partnership with a local developer to turn a portion of the east side of the lakeshore into a commercial/recreational area. It now has restaurants, an office building, jogging path, playground, marina—and a lighthouse!

Developer Randy Hogan of Stonegate-Hogan: “I was in New England, on a trip. I was in Nantucket one night, looked out and noticed Brant Point Light. I thought we could pull (something similar to) that off here! We were trying to create something that would be a great addition to the lake and to the park area.”

Now Randy readily admits that it is not an exact replica of Brant Point, but that was the inspiration for the East Wharf Light, also known as the Lake Hefner Light. It’s about 40 feet tall, has a red light with a two-second on/off pattern, and the light is on from dusk till dawn. The six-sided tower is pale yellow, made of concrete tilt-wall construction. That involves casting large concrete panels and tilting them up to form the load bearing walls of the structure. It was used because of the limited amount of time that was available for the lighthouse phase of the project, maintenance considerations and strength, which is an added plus when you take into account that the Oklahoma City area has had to deal with an F-3 & F-5 tornado in recent years. It could be considered fair to say that tornadoes are the land-locked version of hurricanes in some instances.

The light has been on local magazine and telephone book covers, it has been the site for countless weddings and was recently the backdrop for a motorcycle ad. Mr. Hogan says it has been well received. “I’ve never heard, ‘Wow, that is out of place,’” he says.

According to Hogan, “Before the light was built, used to be you would just get out on the lake and sail. Well, now people tack to see the light.” Hogan says that even in its short existence so far, the East Wharf Light has already come to the aid of a boater, “I’ve had one guy tell me he got caught out here in the fog and he literally guided his boat into our harbor off of it.” No matter where, lighthouses still do their duty, when allowed.

Hogan has been pleasantly surprised by the public’s reaction. “It’s amazing to me how many mothers and fathers take their younger kids out there and you can tell them what a lighthouse does, why it’s there... it’s kind of an educational piece. It just draws people’s attention... that’s what got me excited at Brant Point... that you’d watch people go out, just to walk around it, it’s just something cool to do. We were hoping it would be an icon for the shoreline for Lake Hefner, to be a symbol... we had no clue that it would get the variety of attention it gets. We are really thrilled we did it!” It sounds like you can add Randy Hogan and scores of Oklahomans to the growing ranks of lighthouse enthusiasts!

As a matter of fact, a business partner with one of the restaurants there is former Oklahoma Sooner and Dallas Cowboys head coach Barry Switzer. Barry loves the lighthouse, says Randy. The office building next door was even constructed in such a way as to not to block the view from the light to the restaurant. Now what higher praise for a lighthouse than from a former college National Champion and Super Bowl champion football coach?

http://www.lighthousedepot.com/digest/Storypage.cfm?storykey=1733 (http://www.lighthousedepot.com/digest/Storypage.cfm?storykey=1733)

----------------------------

metro
12-01-2006, 12:29 PM
Randy Hogan must not read this forum because obviously there are several people who have said it was out of place.

namellac
12-01-2006, 01:07 PM
Well, there isn't anything stopping anybody from starting a non-profit campaign to build a bigger lighthouse. Just so long as it doesn't wind up like the Capitol Dome Project Fiasco. "It won't cost the taxpayers anything!"

I think this city/state has some greater priorities than building a bigger lighthouse though.

Do keep in mind that he didn't have to build anything, and he certainly took a certain amount of risk to build a building that will generate NO INCOME.

And if the current structure "looks out of place" wouldn't a 15-story structure "look MORE out of place"????

If you build it, they will come.....

Spartan
12-01-2006, 01:10 PM
Randy Hogan must not read this forum because obviously there are several people who have said it was out of place.

Why read a forum that regularly blasts you in each thread?

AFCM
12-01-2006, 03:03 PM
Ignorance is bliss.

Kerry
12-02-2006, 10:59 AM
couldn't sit higher than about 10-15 feet.

The article says 40 feet high - now I know what to get Patrick for Christmas. A tape measure. LOL

SpectralMourning
12-02-2006, 11:50 AM
Personally I like the small, humble design. It's more of a novelty than anything, and should reflect as so. I like it.

sweetdaisy
12-02-2006, 12:15 PM
You're correct, SpectralMourning, it is more of a novelty than anything, and I happen to like it, too. I don't go crazy for it, but it adds to the waterfront and has some character. And if there are families who go out to see it and talk about it, then good! If it's creating more quality time between parents and children, then why the fuss that it doesn't look like a lighthouse in Maine?

Julesc2001
12-11-2006, 03:36 PM
Why does a "lake" need a lighthouse when it is barely a "lake"?

Yes I am bitter about how Lake Hefner looks these days. :doh:

Spartan
12-12-2006, 04:36 PM
Did someone spit in your coffee today?

writerranger
01-06-2007, 09:09 PM

Did anyone see the, " Picture of the Day" at newsok.com today? Nice shot!
It was submitted by Isaac Goodman of Oklahoma City.

http://photos.newsok.com/show_image.php?tn=0&nuvc=0&p=52616e646f6d49565f750de78c222013e216f27658b9f290