View Full Version : Founders Tower

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6

Patrick
09-06-2005, 11:33 AM
Okay, I could've sworn they just got through with a renovation at Founders Tower, but a new owners says he's going to do another renovation. Interesting. I will say I think Founders Tower is one of the most unique looking skyscrapers in the city. Glad to see it getting some improvements. I hope the new owner considers upgrading the exterior lighting system. Unfortunately, the flashing light simply haven't been as impressive as they could've been.

-------------
"Founders Tower sells for $4.6 million

9/6/2005

OKLAHOMA CITY (JR) - One of the most recognizable landmarks on the Oklahoma City skyline has new ownership. The United Founders Tower and 7.5 acres of surrounding land were purchased by Founders Tower LLC for $4.6 million. The property at 5900 Moesteller Dr. includes Nikz at the Top and Queen Anne Cafeteria as anchor tenants.
Built in 1963, the distinctive round tower has 178,000 square feet of space and dominates the north Oklahoma City skyline.

Significant plans for renovation of the property are being finalized and should be announced within the next 30 days. Bridgeport Development Group will oversee the renovation, in conjunction with architect Rick Brown of Richard R. Brown and Associates.

The closing at Lawyers Title was handled by Doug Fellrath for the buyer and by Patrick Mee for the seller. Escrow agent was Mary Gardner of Lawyers Title. Financing for the project was provided by Gold Bank; the Bob Sullivan of NAI Sullivan Group brokered the transaction.

Bridgeport Development Group is a division of Bridgeport Holdings. With diverse businesses in construction, development, behavioral health services, publishing, commercial finance and educational Webware, the company has operations in Oklahoma, Arizona, Colorado, Georgia and California. Founded in 1998, Bridgeport Holdings has been designated as one of the 50 fastest-growing companies in Oklahoma."

Pete
09-06-2005, 12:19 PM
Sounds like good news to me.

Perhaps they'll restore the old multi-color exterior lighting from the early 70's. :)

PUGalicious
09-06-2005, 12:40 PM
That building needs a lot of work. We looked at moving our offices there, but after looking at the space, we changed our mind. It is certainly a unique building and has a lot of potential, but it hasn't been well cared for and certainly is no longer space in high demand.

zuluwarrior0760
09-07-2005, 06:55 PM
I've heard the tower
will be 100% corporate lease
residential

jbrown84
09-07-2005, 07:36 PM
what is "corporate lease residential"?

zuluwarrior0760
09-08-2005, 06:39 AM
Think "Corporate Apartments"

Devon leases an apartment for an out of town executive
here for a month and then next months, Devon
puts another executive in the apartment for a month.....

Multiply it by 90 units and you have the future of
founders tower.........(The Devon example is of course an illustration)
but I've heard that this is what the owner is planning

karlanee
09-08-2005, 08:36 AM
What a coincidence, I looked at that building awhile back for office space too!

Interesting that you say it is to be corporate lease residential. I looked at that building some time ago and told the leasing agent it would make good apartments. They stole my idea!! Just kidding. Actually she had mentioned to me that they had actually proposed several years ago to Baptist Hospital as a residential building for hospital staff and visitors and would probably do another proposal similar in the future.

The only renovation they actually did was some sort of film on the outsides of the windows, according to the leasing agent that I spoke with. And half of it was crappily put on from what I could see. That building is just nasty. Between the food smell from the bottom and the food smell from the top, every office in that place smells of stale bacon grease mixed with bread dough. They are going to have to spend millions to renovate that building.

I looked at probably 5-10 different spaces in there and every one was disgusting. It looks like they haven't done any work since day one.

I'm glad to see it being sold. I hope that the new owners will bring new life to it. It has such great potential and awesome views of the lake and downtown. It really would make very cool condos.

Pete
09-08-2005, 09:41 AM
Old, oddly shaped buildings don't lend themselves well to open, modern office layouts.

This was also the big problem with Citizens Tower, so perhaps Founders will be adapted in the same manner.

It's a great location and has great views, no doubt.

fromdust
09-08-2005, 07:22 PM
do you think if it goes residential the restaurant at the top will stay in? i would hate to see such an awesome place like nikz leave.

Pete
09-09-2005, 07:53 AM
From this article, it sounds like it will remain an office building:

Ready for another makeover
by Brandice J. O'Brien
The Journal Record
9/9/2005

Just 2.5 years after the United Founders Tower underwent an extensive makeover, it will face another one under new owner Jim Meyer. The $30 million project should take two years to complete.
As Founders Tower LLC, which he oversees as managing partner, Meyer bought the northwest Oklahoma City landmark - as well as 7.5 acres of land surrounding the 20-story building - for $4.6 million from Golan Management of Florida. Golan had acquired it in April 2002 for $3.2 million from Hebron Corp. of New Jersey, which had owned the tower since 1996.

"We have a couple of different opportunities that we're pursuing and we'll disclose the final plans within two weeks to a month," said Meyer, who is chairman, president and CEO of Bridgeport Holdings. Bridgeport Development Group, a division of Bridgeport Holdings, is the developer. "We want to bring the building back to life. We want to refine and update the retro look as in fashion and other products."

Rick Brown of Richard R. Brown & Associates, the architect for the project, agreed.

"We want to maintain the same architecture, but everything except the frame of the building will be new," he said. "There's a sense of arrival with an early 1960s style; it's a very good look, even for today. We want a new sense of detail and a new sense of arrival to the building."

Meyer plans to renovate the interior and exterior of the 5900 Moesteller Dr. building, as well as construct a 50,000-square-foot office building and an 80,000-square-foot building that could become a high-end boutique hotel.

Oklahoma-based SpiritBank will be an anchor tenant in one of the new buildings, operating with a full-service bank. Bridgeport Development Group will also have its headquarters in one of the new buildings.

The tower is 50 percent occupied and as the building is renovated tenants will be moved appropriately as to not disrupt the flow of customers. The decision as to whether current tenants including Nikz at the Top or Queen Anne Cafeteria will stay will be determined as plans are finalized.

In early 2003, the tower underwent a $1.08 million renovation that included the remodeling of the building's 20 lobbies. It was then that the building's trademark rainbow lights, which can be seen from Northwest Expressway, were installed - a feature that will be taken down when the latest renovation is complete.

The Bob Sullivan Group has managed the tower for about 2.5 years and will oversee it through the renovations.

Jeff Van Hoose of Van Hoose Construction Co. is the general contractor for the project.

Patrick
09-09-2005, 10:40 AM
I wonder why the new owners will be "taking down" the rainbow light system on the tower. I think that's a mistake.

zuluwarrior0760
09-11-2005, 06:28 PM
The new owner has heard from several tenants
that they have received negative comments about the
lights.

Most people think they are a joke.....

They were done as a cheap bandaid by the previous
owner who just wanted "something" there before
he sold the building......

He was shown several lighting systems that performed
10-20 times better than the one he purchased....

You cannot even see the lights unless you are in the
immediate vicinity and they just blink and flash......

The original lighting system from the 70s could be
seen whether you were a block away or a mile away......
that is what should be duplicated.....or they should
just flood it in white like they have the last 20 or so years......

mranderson
09-11-2005, 06:55 PM
Part of the problem with the skyline in Oklahoma City is lack of color at night. I think we should line the buildings with various colors of neon or a low energy alternative... Including United Founders Tower.

russellc
09-12-2005, 12:03 PM
I agree Mr. Anderson. Leadership Square downtown, should be edged in blue neon. With all the facets on the building they would really glow, where now they fade away into the darkness.

PUGalicious
09-12-2005, 12:17 PM
I agree Mr. Anderson. Leadership Square downtown, should be edged in blue neon. With all the facets on the building they would really glow, where now they fade away into the darkness.
Are you kidding???

Pardon me while I vomit.:Smiley103

jbrown84
09-12-2005, 06:53 PM
Are you kidding???

Pardon me while I vomit.:Smiley103
:LolLolLol

Doug Loudenback
09-12-2005, 07:23 PM
What jbrown84 said. :bedtime:

zuluwarrior0760
09-12-2005, 10:29 PM
Go here:
http://www.oklahomacounty.org/assessor/Searches/AN-R.asp?ACCOUNTNO=R146091305

Look at the owner's name: Founders Tower Condominiums LLC

So much for it remaining commercial....

:(

From this article, it sounds like it will remain an office building:

Ready for another makeover
by Brandice J. O'Brien
The Journal Record
9/9/2005

Just 2.5 years after the United Founders Tower underwent an extensive makeover, it will face another one under new owner Jim Meyer. The $30 million project should take two years to complete.
As Founders Tower LLC, which he oversees as managing partner, Meyer bought the northwest Oklahoma City landmark - as well as 7.5 acres of land surrounding the 20-story building - for $4.6 million from Golan Management of Florida. Golan had acquired it in April 2002 for $3.2 million from Hebron Corp. of New Jersey, which had owned the tower since 1996.

"We have a couple of different opportunities that we're pursuing and we'll disclose the final plans within two weeks to a month," said Meyer, who is chairman, president and CEO of Bridgeport Holdings. Bridgeport Development Group, a division of Bridgeport Holdings, is the developer. "We want to bring the building back to life. We want to refine and update the retro look as in fashion and other products."

Rick Brown of Richard R. Brown & Associates, the architect for the project, agreed.

"We want to maintain the same architecture, but everything except the frame of the building will be new," he said. "There's a sense of arrival with an early 1960s style; it's a very good look, even for today. We want a new sense of detail and a new sense of arrival to the building."

Meyer plans to renovate the interior and exterior of the 5900 Moesteller Dr. building, as well as construct a 50,000-square-foot office building and an 80,000-square-foot building that could become a high-end boutique hotel.

Oklahoma-based SpiritBank will be an anchor tenant in one of the new buildings, operating with a full-service bank. Bridgeport Development Group will also have its headquarters in one of the new buildings.

The tower is 50 percent occupied and as the building is renovated tenants will be moved appropriately as to not disrupt the flow of customers. The decision as to whether current tenants including Nikz at the Top or Queen Anne Cafeteria will stay will be determined as plans are finalized.

In early 2003, the tower underwent a $1.08 million renovation that included the remodeling of the building's 20 lobbies. It was then that the building's trademark rainbow lights, which can be seen from Northwest Expressway, were installed - a feature that will be taken down when the latest renovation is complete.

The Bob Sullivan Group has managed the tower for about 2.5 years and will oversee it through the renovations.

Jeff Van Hoose of Van Hoose Construction Co. is the general contractor for the project.

Patrick
09-12-2005, 10:34 PM
I guess that explains the need for a renovation so soon after previous owners just renovated the building. It also explains th eprice tag on the up and coming renovation. Personally, I have no problem with Founders Tower becoming condos. The tower sits back in a residential neighborhod anyways. The circular tower in Tulsa is residential, if I remember right.

zuluwarrior0760
09-12-2005, 10:39 PM
It will also assure it will remain a "high end" locale
instead of falling into disrepair like it has over the
last thirty or so years.....
It sort of fits....this company also owns Newhaven
Homes, a big time residential builder.....
I'm excited about this, as well as what's happening with "The Tower"
at 23rd and Classen......

Patrick
09-12-2005, 10:43 PM
With Lakeview Towers being across the street, Founders Tower Condominiums should be a nice fit. I'd still like to see Nikz stay at the top.

swake
09-13-2005, 08:22 AM
Yes, The University Club Tower in Tulsa on Riverside is residential, most of the high rises in that area are.

One difference from the buildings in OKC is that the 32 story tower was built to be residential. There is also a second building at the University Club complex, also residential, it's next door but only like 10 or so floors.

okcpulse
09-13-2005, 11:25 AM
Part of the problem with the skyline in Oklahoma City is lack of color at night. I think we should line the buildings with various colors of neon or a low energy alternative... Including United Founders Tower.

I have personally sent an e-mail to Downtown OKC with this idea. The people at Downtown OKC forwarded my e-mail to the management of Leadership Square, who responded to my idea. They basically lectured me on how expensive it is to install and maintain neon lighting on Leadership Sqaure, so I suppose that's out of the question.

mranderson
09-13-2005, 12:16 PM
I have personally sent an e-mail to Downtown OKC with this idea. The people at Downtown OKC forwarded my e-mail to the management of Leadership Square, who responded to my idea. They basically lectured me on how expensive it is to install and maintain neon lighting on Leadership Sqaure, so I suppose that's out of the question.

It really bothers me how these people think it is acceptable to talk down to intellegent people. Politicians do it to me all the time. Guess what? I know more than they do about politics. Plus. I am not stupid... What an insult to be treated like that.

I would write them back with a rebuttal.

John
09-13-2005, 12:25 PM

I bet the people of Dallas were skeptical when the Bank of America tower put the green neon around their building (over 2 miles worth of neon, if I remember right), but now along with the Reunion Tower (and the pegasus atop the Magnolia Building), it has become a landmark of the Dallas skyline.

floater
09-13-2005, 03:31 PM

I've always thought that Leadership Square's rounded glass staircase roof is one of the cool details of the OKC skyline. Neon or uplighting (like Kerr McGee's) would be nice way to highlight it. And thanks okcpulse for at least suggesting it. Has it changed hands since you asked? Maybe the new owners might be more receptive to the idea.

Patrick
09-13-2005, 04:42 PM
I always though KerrMcGee should put a sign on top of their building like Devon. From the highway you have no idea what's in that building.

floater
09-13-2005, 05:23 PM
I always though KerrMcGee should put a sign on top of their building like Devon. From the highway you have no idea what's in that building.

Sadly, it may no longer be necessary...

It's not a terribly sexy building, but that square honeycomb (?) exterior is unique.

zuluwarrior0760
09-15-2005, 12:27 AM
Leadership Square won't put neon or anything else on their building,
because after studying what it will cost, they will come to the realization
that their tenants won't pay a nickel more for it in terms of rates....

Bank of America Bldg in Dallas was done in green "argon", sort of a supercharged
neon of sorts.......they have a contract with Federal Sign in Dallas to maintain
it and they are on that building every Monday replacing blown out tubes........
Last year, it was over half a mil.......

If Leadership Square got serious about it, there are now LED based alternatives
to Neon that never need replacement, look just like Neon.and are impervious to hail in the middle of Hail Alley here.....

writerranger
05-04-2006, 12:21 AM
My father was in the United Founders Tower today in one of the retail stores on the ground floor that he frequents regularly. The owner told him that the retailers had received bad news this morning with notices that leases will not be renewed, some bought out, etc. The reason? The building (except for the cafeteria) would be unusable as they begin a massive project - the conversion of the tower into condominiums! Has anyone here heard anything about this? Is this
true? This seems credible, coming from a friend of my fathers.

Update: Yes, it's true. The only reference I could find was a January Oklahoman article about office space that slipped this in:

Outside the central business district, Jim Meyer's Founders Tower Condominiums LLC is converting the United Founders Tower at 5900 Mosteller Drive to condominiums, for another 182,615 square feet of office space gone.

How would that work in the round? Four units per floor (like a pie) with each unit having a large curving glass window? Six units on some floors?

This could be huge. That would give the NW Expressway & May area three high-rise living towers (two being apartments), the Marriott Hotel, Crowne Plaza Hotel......It seems there could be lots of potential in that Mosteller area for an urban-style redesign.

Update continued.....Talk about slipping in under the radar! At least, I suppose it has, as there has been little talk of it here and I think there would have been had this been widely known. There was a thread here in September of 2005 about the building being purchased. But this news from Wednesday about the notices to tenants means this is moving ahead.
------------

John
05-04-2006, 12:41 AM
It's been in the works for a while, the property is actually owned by Founders Tower Condominiums, LLC. There are some articles about it in previous posts. Just search for Founders Tower.

I think the location is great and every unit will have at least one balcony.

I love the architecture of both the tower and the Continental Theater (which is owned by those that bought the tower, as well), and the Realtors Association.

writerranger
05-04-2006, 12:49 AM
It's been in the works for a while, the property is actually owned by Founders Tower Condominiums, LLC. There are some articles about it in previous posts. Just search for Founders Tower.

I think the location is great and every unit will have at least one balcony.

I love the architecture of both the tower and the Continental Theater (which is owned by those that bought the tower, as well), and the Realtors Association.

Yes, I updated my original post. At least now we know it's moving forward with the notices going out. I agree about the architecture - love it! As for the Continental Theater, I worked there as a teenager and I hope that there is something that can be done with the original structure. The Continental actually had one of the first Cinemascope screens in this part of the country. If you're interested in the old Continental Theater, take a look here (http://cinerama.topcities.com/ctcontinental.htm)for some great pix of the place in all its glory. By the way, George Gaughan was a hard man to work for, but he demanded excellence from his staff and was a great motivator.

This is huge for the Mosteller area.

--------------

Pete
05-04-2006, 07:47 AM
Thanks so much for that article and photos of the Continental!

It was my favorite place to see a movie as a kid, and I hadn't seen a picture of the interior. Really brings back a lot of fond memories!

Patrick
05-04-2006, 09:57 AM
Concerning the Continental, I was hoping Country Inn and Suites would've purchased it to use as meeting space when they constructed their new hotel (from an existing office building) a few years back, but that didn't happen.

Anyhow, I'm glad to see thing moving forward with the Founders Tower. Condos make more sense, especially since it's located back in a neighborhood, almost directly across from Lakeview Towers apartments. I figured Queen Anne Cafeteria would remain. I'm guessing Nikz will leave??? I think that would be a loss. It was the only revolving restaurant we had in town. http://www.nikzokc.com/

John
05-04-2006, 10:16 AM
The building the Country Inn is in used to match in architecture with Founders Tower, the Continental, and Realtor building, right? At least with the black brick & white trim. I'm having a hard time pulling that back into memory even though its only been a couple years.

From what was posted above, it looks like the Queen Anne will stay. Also, I would think the developers would want to keep Nikz up top.

Pete
05-04-2006, 10:42 AM
Yes, you are right about the converted Country Inn.

It was previous know as Physicians Tower and had the same black and white architecture of the other buildings.

The fact the Founders Tower has balaconies make it an especially good fit for condo conversion. It will be interesting to see the design and pricing.

John
05-04-2006, 10:56 AM
Physicians Tower! That's right. Thanks Malibu.

The Mosteller area has some unique architecture, with the buildings mentioned above and also the old Founders Bank on May with the 'arch'.

Patrick
05-04-2006, 11:31 AM
Physicians Tower! That's right. Thanks Malibu.

The Mosteller area has some unique architecture, with the buildings mentioned above and also the old Founders Bank on May with the 'arch'.

You know, it's funny you mention the old Founders Bank on May. I drive by the thing all the time and never even think about it. I met someone from out of state a few months ago, and they were telling me how they enjoy the great architecture here. They happened to mention that building.....for a few minutes, I couldn't even picture in my head what building she was talking about. Just shows you that sometimes we get so used to living here, we forget what's around us.

metro
05-04-2006, 11:59 AM
Yep, you can find out more about this from a past discussion:

http://www.okctalk.com/okc-metro-area-talk/3995-founders-tower-sold.html?highlight=founders+tower

writerranger
05-04-2006, 02:00 PM
Yep, you can find out more about this from a past discussion:

http://www.okctalk.com/okc-metro-area-talk/3995-founders-tower-sold.html?highlight=founders+tower

A lot of the information in that older thread is dated already and quite a few things have changed.

You know, it's funny you mention the old Founders Bank on May. I drive by the thing all the time and never even think about it. I met someone from out of state a few months ago, and they were telling me how they enjoy the great architecture here. They happened to mention that building.....for a few minutes, I couldn't even picture in my head what building she was talking about. Just shows you that sometimes we get so used to living here, we forget what's around us.

You got that right, Patrick. That's a good example, too. The old Founders Bank (now BOA) is one interesting building.

Another thing about United Founders Tower.....that should make for a very interesting lobby as a condo. The whole circular thing just fascinates me. That's just a great building!

Pete
05-04-2006, 02:23 PM
The views of downtown and near-NW OKC are fantastic from that building, too.

That area sits slightly higher and then gently slopes towards downtown. As a result, that whole part of town really reveals itself from even the lower floors.

And facing the other direction, there are good views of Lake Hefner.

If I was in the market, I'd much prefer Founders to The Classen for these reasons (plus the balconies).

shane453
05-04-2006, 02:34 PM
I heard about this on another forum last year- The article there also said the developer had purchased about 7 acres around the Founders Tower to develop... certainly an interesting possibility for an urban district. If it's popular I can see more condos built up there near Lake Hefner for proximity to work and the lake's recreational offerings. It would be cool if they built a Founders Tower twin.

Pete
05-04-2006, 02:35 PM
Floors 15-19 will have espeically large balconies:

http://www.agilitynut.com/06/3/founders.jpg

Patrick
05-04-2006, 02:49 PM
Whoa. Nice pic!

Pete
05-04-2006, 02:52 PM
I'm really excited about this project.

In fact, I may interested in buying a unit as an investment.

Perhaps a full-furnished rental until I reach retirement? :)

BG918
05-04-2006, 08:06 PM
Nikz is staying right? That's one of the best restaurants I've ever been to in OKC, and definitely unique in that it's the only revolving restaurant in Oklahoma.

writerranger
05-04-2006, 08:28 PM
Floors 15-19 will have espeically large balconies:

Great picture, Malibu! That shot shows a good view of the top - here's one I took recently from the base of the building (with budding redbuds) that is a good view from the bottom.

http://writerranger.zoto.com/img/45/d120b3c06662df49519e6aa35b6e3348.jpg

-----

zuluwarrior0760
05-05-2006, 06:23 AM
Founders Tower Condominiums is owned by Jim Meyer,
the founder of Newhaven homes....

The architect on the Condo project is Richard Brown Architects

Meyer also purchased the old Continental Theater building
from the same seller for 300K back in Sept. of 05, which
indicates that that building may find new life as Condos as well..that building NEEDS to be refurbished and reused....it is too important a structure to be abandoned like it has been....

Pete
05-05-2006, 06:47 AM
I've been trying to think of adaptive uses for the Continental that would still preserve the exterior architecture...

Here's some ideas:

- Playhouse
- Meeting space
- Health club
- Nightclub
- Live music venue

It really is quite unbelievable the place has been abandoned for so long, especiall given its location.

writerranger
05-22-2006, 09:41 PM
Just found out that the official plan for the owner of the United Founders Tower/Continental Theater is to tear down the old theater for a new office building. I know the uses of the Continental theater are limited, but I'll hate to see that structure go.

John
05-22-2006, 09:46 PM
Just found out that the official plan is for the owner of the United Founders Tower/Continental Theater is to tear down the old theater for a new office building. I know the uses of the Continental theater are limited, but I'll hate to see that structure go.

:eek:

:(

Pete
05-23-2006, 07:25 AM
Noooooo!

Does that area of town even need another office building?

<sigh> If they could save the Will Rogers and Tower, why not the Continental???

ksearls
05-23-2006, 07:40 AM
I’ve heard for year’s that it has major asbestos issues.

Patrick
05-23-2006, 09:19 AM
I’ve heard for year’s that it has major asbestos issues.

If that's the case, it's probably not worth saving. At least it's not one of our historic architectural treasures.

keving
09-09-2006, 08:23 AM
It looks like some sort of work is being done at the Continental. There is fencing around it and an "environmental cleanup" vehicle parked outside.

I really hope they don't tear it down.

mranderson
09-09-2006, 09:17 AM
It looks like some sort of work is being done at the Continental. There is fencing around it and an "environmental cleanup" vehicle parked outside.

I really hope they don't tear it down.

It is being prepared for demolition. I think they are going to use it for parking until the developer builds an office building.

maestro
09-10-2006, 08:13 AM
Sorry to see the Continental go. It was a great theater in it's day.

BDP
09-11-2006, 10:16 AM
It is being prepared for demolition. I think they are going to use it for parking until the developer builds an office building.

Holy crap. I can't believe this is happening. What a waste. Once again Oklahoma City tears down its history and a great room. It would have made great convention space and a great venue in a very good location. I think asbetsos is probably playing into this, but it seems other places can overcome these hurdles, yet OKC never does...

But, hey, we get MORE PARKING! Sometimes I think it's the goal of this city to be one huge parking lot...

okcpulse
09-11-2006, 11:13 AM
I see that a lot of people on this forum are getting frustrated over some of the development decisions being made in this city. That is actually a good thing. The more picky we are the better off we'll be in the future as a city.

But we have to be careful at who we are pointing fingers. If we truly want this city to hear our voice any time a developer makes a pi$$ poor decision, we have to target the developer. If it is a civic prject, we need to be sure we're knocking on our council person's door. But it can't be one or two voices. If this many of us are venting about the number of low-rise projects and how they are being developed, than the whole of us needs to pressure our city leaders and developers into understanding that mediocrity is no longer acceptable.

Pete
09-11-2006, 11:45 AM
As far as asbestos, they have to remove it for demolition, so I don't see how that in itself makes the building unusable.

Just an easy excuse to tear down yet another landmark.