View Full Version : *Bricktown parking* Towing Complaint

Rob in Tulsa
11-26-2006, 08:08 PM
My son last night had his car towed because his "on the street 2 hr parking space" became an *unloading zone* after hours. He is a student at OU and he met his uncle from New Jersey to visit Bricktown. He said there no signs about the towing- I can understand a ticket but a towing charge that ended being $166 - costing us $170 cash because the impound station only takes cash & makes no change- is a bit hard to swallow. To add insult to injury, my wife had to drive from Tulsa to pay the fees because the car was in our name.

My wife had to go downtown police station to verify that we own the car and a long distance from downtown to the impound lot. My son said that apparently there several other suckers that fell into the same racket.

Needless to say none of our family will be going back to Bricktown.

bandnerd
11-26-2006, 08:11 PM
So you're seriously going to let a parking issue keep you from visiting?

Yeah, the parking in Bricktown sucks. We all know that. Park somewhere downtown for free and take the 25-cent trolley and avoid the whole parking thing.

An expensive mistake, for sure. I've never parked on the street in Bricktown before, though. Always in a lot, even if I had to walk from Bass Pro to Abuelo's. I always figured the extra walking would let me eat more chips haha.

Rob in Tulsa
11-26-2006, 08:12 PM
I guess if you are a local , you will know all the parking spots and the tricks. My complaint is that it is a racket and is not justified

Steve
11-26-2006, 08:25 PM
My name is Steve Lackmeyer and I am a reporter at The Oklahoman. Please email me at slackmeyer@oklahoman.com so I can visit with you about a possible story.
Thanks - Steve Lackmeyer

bandnerd
11-26-2006, 08:48 PM
I would go down there and check for the signs...your son (not calling him a liar or anything) might have missed it.

Rob in Tulsa
11-26-2006, 08:54 PM
You have got to be kidding! I am over a 100 miles from OKC. Besides who would expect their car to be towed from a metered parking spot? Ticketed yes, towed no....

mranderson
11-26-2006, 08:56 PM
You have got to be kidding! I am over a 100 miles from OKC. Besides who would expect their car to be towed from a metered parking spot? Ticketed yes, towed no.....

If there are multiple violations, then nearly all, if not all police departments impound vehicles.

bandnerd
11-26-2006, 09:07 PM
Well, your son is closer, maybe he could have a looksee then. Wasn't trying to offend, but check everything out before going to the press or giving up on Bricktown altogether. Something could have been missed. If not, then by all means, do something about it.

John
11-26-2006, 09:22 PM
Where exactly did he park?

Prunepicker
11-26-2006, 11:28 PM
[bandnerd So you're seriously going to let a parking issue keep you from visiting?]

I've worked a lot in Bricktown (full time musician) over the past few years and have never considered the parking to be a problem. If parking jumps to $10 because of some big event SO WHAT! The idea to park in the downtown district and ride the trolley for a quarter or fifty cents is simply common sense. How about adding carpool? Walking is good exercise.

Many times I've wheeled my double bass and amp several blocks from the Santa Fe parking lot to get to work
I know some people, for some reason, think they're owed convenience but most people I work with don't think anything of it.

Flatlander
11-27-2006, 08:22 AM
Welcome to the big city,I dont know what trick on parking you are reffering to,or racket.It seems to me if your son pays a little closer attention to where he is parking then this would be a non event.This sounds like a personal problem not a problem with bricktown or the impound lot.Hope you let all your friends know that illegal parking in bricktown will not be tolorated.Have a stern talk with your son so he does not do this to his mother again.

jbrown84
11-27-2006, 12:12 PM
Well I would agree that if he just missed the sign, tough luck. But if there was no sign or it was very tiny or hidden or misleading, I would appeal it or whatever you can do.

metro
11-27-2006, 12:52 PM
Yeah, I agree. It was probably a missed sign. And I'm not sure who started the parking meter thing. The original post said 2 hr parking, not parking meter. Usually those are green signs and also mention something about unloading zones. You're cheating your family if you won't visit Bricktown or downtown OKC because of this one event. Buyer beware as they say!

HFK
11-27-2006, 03:08 PM
I'm not familiar with that aspect of Bricktown (I've either paid the $5, or found an open slot with a meter, or parked at Bass Pro and walked). I am a bit familiar with towing and it IS a racket, and not just here in OKC. Overcharges, surly people, daily storage fees, and lost/stolen contents are just a few of the joys encountered when your car is towed. They really stick it to the owner, because they know that the owner has no choice and that they're representing the city (I presume that OKC's is still a private wrecking yard under contract with the City?)

Patrick
11-27-2006, 03:13 PM
It's funny that the story has changed now. First Rob in Tulsa states that his son was parked at a street parking place, and shouldn't have been towed. Now he states that it was metered parking. Well, if it was indeed metered parking, did he put money in the meter? If there was no money put in the meter, no wonder why he was toed. There is no time restriction on the parking meters in Bricktown. They're services 24/7, 365.

jbrown84
11-27-2006, 07:59 PM
Where is the any instance of parking on the street that doesn't have a meter?

Keith
11-27-2006, 08:46 PM
It's funny that the story has changed now. First Rob in Tulsa states that his son was parked at a street parking place, and shouldn't have been towed. Now he states that it was metered parking. Well, if it was indeed metered parking, did he put money in the meter? If there was no money put in the meter, no wonder why he was toed. There is no time restriction on the parking meters in Bricktown. They're services 24/7, 365.
I know that after 5 PM on weekdays, and all weekends, that you don't have to feed the parking meters downtown, but I don't know about Bricktown. Do you have to feed the meters in Bricktown 24/7?

Even during the daytime, when the meters are being monitored downtown, I have not heard of anyone getting towed....they just get ticketed.

Patrick
11-27-2006, 08:51 PM
I know that after 5 PM on weekdays, and all weekends, that you don't have to feed the parking meters downtown, but I don't know about Bricktown. Do you have to feed the meters in Bricktown 24/7?

Even during the daytime, when the meters are being monitored downtown, I have not heard of anyone getting towed....they just get ticketed.

Yeah, parking meters in Bricktown have to be fed 24/7. It says it on the meter if you read it.

Keith
11-27-2006, 09:09 PM
Yeah, parking meters in Bricktown have to be fed 24/7. It says it on the meter if you read it.
The "meter maids" enforce the parking downtown...who enforces it in Bricktown..the police? I wouldn't think the police would have time to monitor the parking situation, unless someone parks illegally and blocks someone in.

lcd1712
11-28-2006, 09:39 AM
An expensive mistake, for sure. I've never parked on the street in Bricktown before, though. Always in a lot, even if I had to walk from Bass Pro to Abuelo's. I always figured the extra walking would let me eat more chips haha.

Not only you would be able to eat more chips, you would help bring more life to the streets of Bricktown.

That way, Bricktown won't look so deserted as someone said about some pics in a previous thread.

bandnerd
11-28-2006, 09:58 AM
Well, I mean, how many entertainment districts exist where you can actually park right outside the restaurant or other establishment you are visiting? Once in a blue moon we'll have good "parking karma," as we call it, and get a close space. But most times, we either have to walk or pay. Since we live downtown, sometimes we walk the 1+ mile to Bricktown.

I seriously doubt that in any major city, you are going to find free parking right outside where you want to be. That only happens on TV or in movies.

BDP
11-28-2006, 03:48 PM
If it seriously wasn't marked, you should fight it, because that's BS. However, make sure you read all parking signs to the curb so you know there aren't any restrictions. If it was marked as an "unloading zone", then it was his mistake. Unloading zones are tow zones and I'm pretty sure that any parking violations can result in a tow.

I can understand your frustration with the inconvenience, but they have to have parking restrictions to give everyone better access. It's very typical in areas like bricktown and it's good that they are enforcing those policies for the betterment of the district.

metro
11-28-2006, 04:14 PM

Keith, actually it's after 6pm on weekdays in downtown and you don't have to on the weekends. Not sure about Bricktown though.

maestro
11-28-2006, 04:56 PM
FWIW, I don't think the meters in Bricktown are monitored nights and weekends. My guess is that the guy's son was not on a meter - probably in a commercial loading zone or something.

fsusurfer
11-29-2006, 08:34 AM
Im almost positive meters arn't moniterd on the weekends or evenings

ksearls
11-29-2006, 09:29 AM
You are correct, they are not after 5:00 or on weekends. And here is a little downtown secret for you........the meter nazis get off at around 4:00 and they don't work on city holidays........don't tell!

metro
11-29-2006, 12:40 PM
Im almost positive meters arn't moniterd on the weekends or evenings

fsusurfer, you are correct, that is why several of us mentioned that you don't have to pay for them on city holidays, after 6pm weekdays, or weekends. if you read closely on the meters, they will tell you that.

SpectralMourning
11-30-2006, 09:56 AM
Keith, OCPD patrols parking in Bricktown. Haha, I had to find out the hard way. Sometimes it's hard to see those little signs when you're in a hurry.

AFCM
12-04-2006, 01:23 PM
Which ever side you take, I think it's safe to say that parking has become a huge issue with Bricktown. I don't think anyone should expect free curbside parking in any entertainment district, which makes me wonder why people actually complain about not getting a free parking spot right next to their final destination. I'm going to stay neutral on the debate, but I can't help but think how this could have been avoided if Hogan understood the concept of urban design and erected a parking garage.

I'm a little uneducated on the matter, so can someone tell me why Randy Hogan is still in charge of Lower Bricktown? Does he own the land, or does the City? Is there a contract between Hogan and OKC? Can we, the people of OKC, petition to have Hogan removed from his position on developing Lower Bricktown?

maestro
12-04-2006, 01:39 PM
IMHO.....There IS a parking garage in Bricktown that almost never full. Why would Hogan build another? Further, the "Lower Bricktown" (I really hate that name) deal is done. Move on. For good or ill there is little point in Hogan-bashing at this point.

If you must rant about parking, rant about the parking lot owners (not all of them, now) that over-charge (read: rape & pillage) for "special" events.

In any event, I think we should all constructively work to make all of Bricktown safe and enjoyable for all OKC.

Prunepicker
12-04-2006, 08:17 PM

The parking meters aren't 24/7 but they are 7 days a week. You do pay until 5pm or 6pm everyday but afterwards it's free. That's the way it was on Sheridan last week. In front of the Myriad it's until 6pm. I've played a lot there, too.

Prunepicker

johnnyboyokc
12-09-2006, 12:21 AM
IMHO.....There IS a parking garage in Bricktown that almost never full. Why would Hogan build another? Further, the "Lower Bricktown" (I really hate that name) deal is done. Move on. For good or ill there is little point in Hogan-bashing at this point.

If you must rant about parking, rant about the parking lot owners (not all of them, now) that over-charge (read: rape & pillage) for "special" events.

In any event, I think we should all constructively work to make all of Bricktown safe and enjoyable for all OKC.

supply and demand

Patrick
12-09-2006, 09:32 AM
The parking meters aren't 24/7 but they are 7 days a week. You do pay until 5pm or 6pm everyday but afterwards it's free. That's the way it was on Sheridan last week. In front of the Myriad it's until 6pm. I've played a lot there, too.

Prunepicker

Thanks for the clarification. I knew something was different about the meters in Bricktown.

Patrick
12-09-2006, 09:35 AM

Oh, it isn't done. Hogan still has some property left, and a chance to revive himself.
I will give him some credit on The Centennial. At least parking is underneath, and it is over 1 story! LOL! I just wish it had more brick.

Also, we can think ahead 10-20s, when hopefully the existing smaller Lower Bricktown buildings will be torn down, and high rises put in their place.

You might talk with johnnyboyokc about that. Really though, if you owned parking lots in Bricktown, wouldn't it be a wise investment to charge more?

I honestly see the momentum slowly shifting from Bricktown to midtown. Could midtown be the new Deep Ellum of Oklahoma City?

okcpulse
12-09-2006, 12:31 PM
I'm a little uneducated on the matter, so can someone tell me why Randy Hogan is still in charge of Lower Bricktown? Does he own the land, or does the City? Is there a contract between Hogan and OKC? Can we, the people of OKC, petition to have Hogan removed from his position on developing Lower Bricktown?

Randy Hogan owns the land in Lower Bricktown. He purchased the property from the city in 1997. Why is he in still in charge? Aside from owning the land, he is still in charge because he can be. Lower Bricktown is not a part of the historical district perimeter and since it is outside those boundaries Lower Bricktown does not have to adhere to building requirements.

On that note, if city leaders played their cards better on Lower Bricktown's development, they could have required Hogan to follow more stringent building codes for that area, or the could have placed the area within Bricktown's actual district boundaries.

Patrick
12-09-2006, 01:21 PM
At any rate, Hogan is doing anything to make big bucks right now, and is not really thinking long term.

johnnyboyokc
12-10-2006, 03:23 AM
that land was bought for a dollar a foot

johnnyboyokc
12-10-2006, 03:36 AM
towing is the worst thing for bricktown..........it is a negitive image..........

bandnerd
12-10-2006, 08:41 AM
So we should all just be able to park wherever we want to, for as long as we want to? There have to be some rules and consequences or mass parking chaos would ensue.

johnnyboyokc
12-14-2006, 01:13 AM
no but towing is a power you give to the employee to justify his job........or else people would just run all over the parking attendant

Prunepicker
12-18-2006, 09:37 AM
IMHO.....There IS a parking garage in Bricktown that almost never full.

As far as I know, the parking garage is the same price whether there's a big event or not. I've never paid anything at the Bass Pro or Harkin lot.

Free enterprise is a wonderful thing. But we hate it when it doesn't fit our pocket book.

Prunepicker

okcguy
12-18-2006, 12:28 PM
I work in Bricktown, you don't have to pay the meters after 6 or on Sundays, at least on Main St. where I park. Also, I probably shouldn't mention this since now everyone may start parking here, but that big parking lot by the police station is free unless there is a person there taking money. They have one of those boxes where you put your money in the slot, but believe me, you don't have to.

johnnyboyokc
12-20-2006, 02:01 AM
that lot will change once the staton goes in however employees only pay $1