View Full Version : Who wants to get married?

Leon
11-22-2006, 11:16 PM
How many of us singles wish we were married?

sweetdaisy
11-24-2006, 03:52 AM
A meaningful, committed relationship would be enough...I don't need to get married.

Intrepid
11-24-2006, 07:44 AM
I agree sweetdaisy. I enjoy committed relationships, but I don't necessarily need to be "officially" married.

redredwine
11-24-2006, 02:45 PM
ofcourse married!!!!!!!!!!!! I AM!

redredwine
11-24-2006, 02:49 PM
OK if I was single, I would still want to get married, since this question was for singles, sorry!!!!! I love being married. It is SO hard sometimes, to just get along, over the stupid things, and he is not someone I like sometimes, but I am sure their are many marrieds on here that can attest to that imperfection factor.

Dave Cook
11-25-2006, 02:56 PM
Sorry, but I don't quite understand what all the 'marriage' silliness is all about. Is this supposed to be some sort of utopia? The meaning of life?

I'm 35 and the last of my old friends to remain single. I enjoy being single. I have no real desire to change everything about my life as to fit into our culture's standards as to what equals happiness and success.

What I find kind of funny......whenever I visit Oklahoma City....I go out individually with old friends who are now married with children and 'enjoying' the domestic life. They gripe and complain all night about toddler burnout, jobs, in-laws, the rut of marriage, decrease in sex drive, paying bills....etc, etc.

Then...in all seriousness....ask....'So when are you getting married? You need to start having kids before it's too late!'

After that sales pitch?

sweetdaisy
11-25-2006, 04:56 PM
LOL, Poke! I completely agree. I rarely meet anyone who is "happily" married, so I don't know what the big fuss is all about. Can two people not have a wonderful relationship without getting married?

bandnerd
11-25-2006, 05:36 PM
Can't two people have a wonderful marriage without having people pester them about kids?

Can't they just have cats and/or dogs, or other pet-children? Gah...that's MY gripe as a married woman. I keep telling people that my reproductive organs are MY property and not THEIR business, but they make it that way. I have no other complaints about married life at this point. But for me, it's almost exactly the same as it was when we "lived in sin" for two years bwahahahaha.

Karried
11-25-2006, 07:35 PM
I don't know.. we all have the same complaints in life .. lousy jobs, bills, whatever life throws at you.. for me, it's nice to have someone that I love sharing the good times and bad times with. I've been married almost 19 years.. ( my God, I'm old lol) I don't feel old but I guess I am!!

Regardless, married or single, I would still have life struggles.. being with my husband, I feel I have someone to turn to and be together in good times and bad, we have so much in common, kids, parents, memories, we've been through it all.. I love my husband and I love my kids - we're a family .. I wouldn't trade it for the world..

I keep thinking of celebrities.. they are rich, gorgeous and could have a plethora of partners, endless sex and variety.. but they usually all get married ( granted some switch partners often lol ) but they end up married again or at least in longterm monogamous relationships .. there must be something appealing about the concept of being committed to one person and vowing to love them for a lifetime, sharing life together.

Curt
11-25-2006, 09:03 PM
I do...

Leon
11-25-2006, 10:41 PM
If it's someone you feel very strongly for...incomplete without, maybe that's someone you'd marry.

Maybe I should have phrased my question differently though...If you had your life exactly as you'd like it would there be a spouse in it?

Keith
11-26-2006, 07:23 AM
If it's someone you feel very strongly for...incomplete without, maybe that's someone you'd marry.

Maybe I should have phrased my question differently though...If you had your life exactly as you'd like it would there be a spouse in it?
As a married man of 25 years, I would not change a thing about my life. Marriage is wonderful, but it is not for everybody. Some singles love their independence, while others are still searching for that special someone to fill a void in their lives. Loneliness can be very depressing for some.

Curt
11-26-2006, 09:15 AM
If I had my life exactly as I would like it yes there would be a spouse...but I wont lose sleep over it. Life is good right now.

PUGalicious
11-26-2006, 11:23 AM
LOL, Poke! I completely agree. I rarely meet anyone who is "happily" married, so I don't know what the big fuss is all about. Can two people not have a wonderful relationship without getting married?
You can count me among the "rare" happily married crowd. Been happily married for nearly 15 years and wouldn't give it up for anything.

I will admit, though, that if you don't find the right person, marriage may not be the best option for everyone.

Leon
11-26-2006, 10:00 PM
As a married man of 25 years, I would not change a thing about my life. Marriage is wonderful, but it is not for everybody. Some singles love their independence, while others are still searching for that special someone to fill a void in their lives. Loneliness can be very depressing for some.

Loneliness absolutely SUCKS!!!!!!! But being alone and being lonely ARE two seperate things.

Leon
11-26-2006, 10:04 PM
Sometimes I think...(don't tell anyone that, but I do), especially since my divorce (refer to my previous post in this thread) that SOME people remain married due to their own fears of being alone/lonely.

Jack Wonder
12-06-2006, 01:44 PM
**Uh-oh, Noob Alert!!!**

I enjoy the single life, but I feel a proposal and marriage coming up soon in my life...

**OKCT Community looks at each other and shrugs**

TomGirl
12-10-2006, 09:02 PM
I get a lot of hassle from friends and co-workers about not being married and I'm not sure what the big deal is either. I some eyes, being married means being responsible and level-headed...being single means that your just a party animal with no real goals or dreams. I take care of a parent, this is not an ideal situation to be out hunting for a husband and I'm not willing to change my living situation to suit the possibility of having a spouse. I'm comfortable with my life right now...I wish that I had someone in my life, someone to spend time with, but not consume my life.

Leon
12-10-2006, 11:52 PM
I don't catch any hassle for not being married. And I really don't know anyone who does.

I'd think that a single person is just as responsible as a married one, maybe more so...only one person to manage a household.

Be married, be single?.....Isn't that just a matter of choice and compromise?

Happiness isn't feeling your girlfriend's body heat next to you in the bed....Happiness is knowing you'll feel it tomorrow.

TomGirl
12-11-2006, 05:44 AM
Happiness isn't feeling your girlfriend's body heat next to you in the bed....Happiness is knowing you'll feel it tomorrow.

Being married doesn't give this guarantee, look at the divorce rate. Marriage doesn't mean the same today as it did back then.

BailJumper
12-11-2006, 06:09 AM
I haven't been married all that long, and spent most of my life loving the single life. I went through periods where I lived with someone for a year or so, but always ended it when it felt too much like playing house.

While I think as humans we all have a desire for a lifelong mate, we don't always find one. I knew when I met my wife she was the one. Literally within a couple of months I asked her to marry me. My friends and family were completely shocked.

Before I think I battled with selfishness. I didn't want to share my stuff, be responsible for someone else or feel like I was missing out on something else.

Some people can fall in love at the drop of a hat, others find it very hard to give themselves to others.

Personally, I'm glad I stayed single until I met the real true love of my life. The single life was a fun run, but I was ready for a new chapter.

Call me old fashion but I sigh when I hear people say, "I don't need no piece of paper to be in a committed long termrelationship." I used to say it and it was a cop out. What I needed to say was that I'd consider getting married, but not to you!

TomGirl
12-12-2006, 04:53 AM
Sounds just like me Bail Jumper! I'm sure that there is someone out there that will take all the fears away, but just haven't met him yet.

I've had no problem finding men that think I'm the one for them and end up proposing in 2 or 3 months and this probably brings up more questions. What about those that believe that they have found that one person that was meant for them, only to have them decline the offer? Just curious how many have gone through something like that. I've had this happen on the other side too, not doing any actual proposing, but knowing that I wanted to be with that person for the rest of my life, but he just never felt the same way and the proposal never happened.
I guess what I'm trying to say is that it's not just finding the one for you, it's the other finding you too. It's a combination of the 2 forces that have to take place before a real, soul-mate, life-long, can't-live-without-each-other thing can happen.

In a world of so many people and so many are married, do so many hit this amazing jackpot, or do most just settle.

StephiOKC
12-12-2006, 07:17 AM
As a 30 something attractive professional I can say that I would like to be married. I know that finding the right person is key...and is the most exhausting search here in OKC. Being single is fine ( as I have chosen that) I will not settle. I see that people feel its like a ball and chain...I feel your life is what you make it. I want a good happy life with a man. The shallow pool in OKC to choose from is part of the reason for me being single. I am always up for suggestions....but marriage to the right person could be rewarding...

Dave Cook
12-12-2006, 06:09 PM
"The shallow pool in OKC to choose from is part of the reason for me being single."

Excellent post. I like the honesty.

I'm curious though....what experiences have you had recently that would bring you to the conclusion that the pool is really that shallow? Do you find all the good one are already taken?

I've just recently moved to OKC and will agree the ball game is very different from where I lived previously. Loads of never married, singles there.

Easy180
12-12-2006, 09:33 PM
I haven't been married all that long, and spent most of my life loving the single life. I went through periods where I lived with someone for a year or so, but always ended it when it felt too much like playing house.

Personally, I'm glad I stayed single until I met the real true love of my life. The single life was a fun run, but I was ready for a new chapter.

Agree with your statement in bold...I didn't get married until almost 30...Had a great time in my 20's and have many great stories to look back on

Use your 20's to date, get your crap together, party and cram in as many fun things as you can because it all goes away when you get hitched :kicking:

StephiOKC
12-13-2006, 03:10 AM
You asked about experiences with dating, as a never married woman, I can say that the last few years have been a trip! I should write a book (as my friends and I say) I am noticing the decline in men that accept responsiblity for their actions.... i.e. having children and not even aware of where the children live, what the child is doing....or being married and dating...imagine that! I have had men want me to "support" them i.e. make their car payments since they bought themselves stereo equipment..holding down jobs....keeping good paying jobs....or ones that believe that dating is 50/50 when it comes to the check. Mind you I have no problem picking up a tab, but every date is 50/50. (mind you this is in the beginning a relationship) If you ask you pay, that is my belief. Heck some cant even plurge to buy someone a coke on the first date! Or what happen to old fashioned chivlary? And I notice woman are doing the same......Sad really to me. I am a good woman that has yet to find a good man....hence single by choice!