View Full Version : The Cross

Patrick
11-22-2006, 06:47 PM
What does the cross mean to you? Is it merely a symbolic symbol that you where around your neck, or does it mean more to you? Maybe it means nothing to you.

GrandMaMa
11-22-2006, 07:02 PM
What does the cross mean to you? Is it merely a symbolic symbol that you where around your neck, or does it mean more to you? Maybe it means nothing to you.I do wear a gold cross around my neck, it is an exact duplicate of one of my best friend's cross, only hers has a longer chain. She bought both of them and on a very special occasion 15 yrs ago, she gave me mine, she was already wearing hers. We have an agreement: The family of who ever passes first is to give that cross to the other, then that person wears both crosses until they go. It might seem silly, but it reminds me of the bond between us as we have been good friends for over 45 yrs. Yes, I would say that it is spiritual, but no, it is not religous. I know that most other replies will problably that of a religous nature, to each his own. 'course, I can look at a new born baby and consider that a spiritual experience, or puppy or tree.

bandnerd
11-22-2006, 07:21 PM
I know what the cross is supposed to represent, but I hold no beliefs, feelings, or faith in one. It is merely a symbol. If you wear one, that's fine, I respect your beliefs. I'm not crazy about giant ones along the highway, but I am not the one who makes those decisions, and in that matter, I am able to put my beliefs aside for the majority.

PUGalicious
11-22-2006, 07:57 PM
For me, the cross represents forgiveness, mercy, grace, hope and amazing love. I don't where a cross, but I also don't where any other jewelry except for my wedding ring. IMHO, the cross symbol has been trivialized and there are many people who where a cross who certainly don't reflect the message that the cross is meant to represent.

mranderson
11-22-2006, 08:15 PM
So far, I am guessing this since I have just begun to convert to Catholisism (sp). Catholics cross ourselves which means, in order. In the name of the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit. Amen. So, that would mean the cross means the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit.

GrandMaMa
11-22-2006, 09:30 PM
So far, I am guessing this since I have just begun to convert to Catholisism (sp). Catholics cross ourselves which means, in order. In the name of the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit. Amen. So, that would mean the cross means the Father, So, and Holy Spirit.I thought that we were sharing what "A CROSS" meant to us individually, I was not aware that there was a "THE CROSS". Obviously, it will mean something different to everyone.

mranderson
11-22-2006, 09:31 PM
I thought that we were sharing what "A CROSS" meant to us individually, I was not aware that there was a "THE CROSS". Obviously, it will mean something different to everyone.

A cross... The cross... Symantics.

Keith
11-23-2006, 08:39 AM
A cross... The cross... Symantics.
To me, the cross represents Christs' death, burial, and ressurection. It tells me that God sent his Son in the world to save it, and that the only way Christ could save us was to die on the cross for our sins. Salvation, faith, and hope.......is in the Cross.

Unfortunately, many people just wear the cross as a decoration...but as GrandMaMa said, it has different meanings to different people.

GrandMaMa
11-23-2006, 08:59 PM
Again I say, there are many, many crosses, most of which have absolutely nothing to do with Christianity or any form of it. There is the Celtic or Pagan Cross, The Red Cross, The Blue Cross, The Green Cross, The Medical Cross, etc. I could go on and on. All of the organizations that these crosses represent are quite secular. There are even crosses that represent Satanic worship. So, yes, there can't just be "THE CROSS" . You say only semantics? I don't think so.

mranderson
11-24-2006, 03:21 AM
Again I say, there are many, many crosses, most of which have absolutely nothing to do with Christianity or any form of it. There is the Celtic or Pagan Cross, The Red Cross, The Blue Cross, The Green Cross, The Medical Cross, etc. I could go on and on. All of the organizations that these crosses represent are quite secular. There are even crosses that represent Satanic worship. So, yes, there can't just be "THE CROSS" . You say only semantics? I don't think so.

Some people say "The cross," some say "a cross." THAT is why it is symantics. Now, I do not feel like arguing the way people express something. That is not the name of the topic. If you want to argue it, then start another thread.

GrandMaMa
11-24-2006, 09:56 AM
Some people say "The cross," some say "a cross." THAT is why it is symantics. Now, I do not feel like arguing the way people express something. That is not the name of the topic. If you want to argue it, then start another thread.Mr Anderson, surely you know me well enough by now that I don't "argue" just for the sake of arguement, I saw a point to be made, and it had/has obviously slipped past you faster than you can say, "My way is the only way." Can you not appreciate the difference in the following statements? The World vs a world, THE GALAXY vs a galaxy, The Man vs a man, The Religion vs a religion, The Right way vs a right way, THE PLAN vs a plan, THE RELIGION vs a religion, Christianity is THE PATH, vs Christianity is a path. Do you not see there is a world of difference in the terms, some are of totally different substance and meaning.

Any symbol is meaningless unless it is assigned a personal meaning by you/me/us, wouldn't you agree? In that spirit, then correctly, a cross would be more succint than THE CROSS. I must say though, that you are converting to a practice/religion that expouses that concept, THE rather than A. And no, Mr Anderson, that is not sematics, it is the foundation of your church. Your church espouses "THE CHURCH", the one and only APOSTOLIC CHURCH, not a church, not open for debate, it is THE CHURCH. Now do you get it?

GrandMaMa
11-24-2006, 10:04 AM
What does the cross mean to you? Is it merely a symbolic symbol that you where around your neck, or does it mean more to you? Maybe it means nothing to you.Patrick, let me ask you, since you were the one that started this thread. When you said "THE", what did you really mean to say? Did you just not finish by saying, "THE CHRISTIAN CROSS" or were you actually asking , "What does a cross mean to you?" Can you see the point that I am trying to share with Mr. Anderson when it comes to how A and The can make all the difference in the world in the meaning of a statement? Do you personally think that I am out of context and need to start another thread?

bandnerd
11-24-2006, 10:16 AM
Mr Anderson, surely you know me well enough by now that I don't "argue" just for the sake of arguement, I saw a point to be made, and it had/has obviously slipped past you faster than you can say, "My way is the only way." Can you not appreciate the difference in the following statements? The World vs a world, THE GALAXY vs a galaxy, The Man vs a man, The Religion vs a religion, The Right way vs a right way, THE PLAN vs a plan, THE RELIGION vs a religion, Christianity is THE PATH, vs Christianity is a path. Do you not see there is a world of difference in the terms, some are of totally different substance and meaning.

Any symbol is meaningless unless it is assigned a personal meaning by you/me/us, wouldn't you agree? In that spirit, then correctly, a cross would be more succint than THE CROSS. I must say though, that you are converting to a practice/religion that expouses that concept, THE rather than A. And no, Mr Anderson, that is not sematics, it is the foundation of your church. Your church espouses "THE CHURCH", the one and only APOSTOLIC CHURCH, not a church, not open for debate, it is THE CHURCH. Now do you get it?

:congrats:

redredwine
11-24-2006, 02:37 PM
For me, the cross represents forgiveness, mercy, grace, hope and amazing love. I don't where a cross, but I also don't where any other jewelry except for my wedding ring. IMHO, the cross symbol has been trivialized and there are many people who where a cross who certainly don't reflect the message that the cross is meant to represent.

WOW! I totally agree and second that.

redredwine
11-24-2006, 02:39 PM
I collect one from every place I visit, or just buy them when I see cool ones. I love what they represent, and I mean, FAITH. I have them along one side of my front door (inside) all the way to the floor, and also above and plan to go down the other side. I also have them in my bedroom around. It makes me at peace when I look at them. TO each person a cross means something different.

Martin
11-24-2006, 09:21 PM
gmm,
i think it's pretty obvious that patrick meant the christian cross... but yeah, anderson is confusing the issue by discussing the sign of the cross... you know, that hand-jive motion done by many catholics.

so... what does the (christian) cross mean to me? i'd say christ's sacrifice. while a culturally significant symbol, that's all i see it as... a symbol. i don't think that christians should worship a cross, they should worship the one who they believe died on it... -M

mranderson
11-25-2006, 08:09 AM
gmm,
i think it's pretty obvious that patrick meant the christian cross... but yeah, anderson is confusing the issue by discussing the sign of the cross... you know, that hand-jive motion done by many catholics.

so... what does the (christian) cross mean to me? i'd say christ's sacrifice. while a culturally significant symbol, that's all i see it as... a symbol. i don't think that christians should worship a cross, they should worship the one who they believe died on it... -M

It is not "hand-jive." It is a testimate of faith.

Now. From the St. Joseph Edition of the Holy Bible:

Cross-This instrument of Roman torture reserved for slaves was particularly infamous. It was known to Jesus who preached a type of detatchment to his disciples which would go as far as this humiliation of the cross. He himself followed this way of self denial out of love and obediance. The death on the cross of the Messiah, Son of God, is a scandal, the paradox which will become the most incontestable historical and spiritual center of the work of salvation acomplished by Jesus. By his abasement on the cross which paid men's debt to sin and crused the devil. Jesus is elevated and the wood of imfamy has become a tree of life. Crusified with Christ through baptism and the life of faith the Christian must glory only in the cross of Jesus.

This is a direct quote. Note is says THE cross. Not A cross.

bandnerd
11-25-2006, 09:22 AM
It says "the cross" because it is from the bible, so obviously it's going to refer to "the christian cross."

It's been said before, there are lots of crosses. The Greek Orthodox cross is different from the "christian cross" but it is still "a" cross.

mranderson
11-25-2006, 09:29 AM
It says "the cross" because it is from the bible, so obviously it's going to refer to "the christian cross."

It's been said before, there are lots of crosses. The Greek Orthodox cross is different from the "christian cross" but it is still "a" cross.

...And I presume since you are married to Midtowner, you are Catholic? Humm.

GrandMaMa
11-25-2006, 11:36 AM
It is not "hand-jive." It is a testimate of faith.

Now. From the St. Joseph Edition of the Holy Bible:

Cross-This instrument of Roman torture reserved for slaves was particularly infamous. It was known to Jesus who preached a type of detatchment to his disciples which would go as far as this humiliation of the cross. He himself followed this way of self denial out of love and obediance. The death on the cross of the Messiah, Son of God, is a scandal, the paradox which will become the most incontestable historical and spiritual center of the work of salvation acomplished by Jesus. By his abasement on the cross which paid men's debt to sin and crused the devil. Jesus is elevated and the wood of imfamy has become a tree of life. Crusified with Christ through baptism and the life of faith the Christian must glory only in the cross of Jesus.

This is a direct quote. Note is says THE cross. Not A cross.Mr Anderson, when you quote a source, and intend to make a point, then is it wise to quote a source that is universally reconized as such. You have chosen YOUR source, not THE source, call that sematics if you will, it makes my point, I do hope that it doesn't elude you

mranderson
11-25-2006, 03:19 PM
Mr Anderson, when you quote a source, and intend to make a point, then is it wise to quote a source that is universally reconized as such. You have chosen YOUR source, not THE source, call that sematics if you will, it makes my point, I do hope that it doesn't elude you

Why do you constantly have to argue this point? Have you ever heard of the Bible? You act like you have not. I suggest you read it. No matter WHAT version it is, it all means the same thing.

GrandMaMa
11-25-2006, 03:30 PM
Why do you constantly have to argue this point? Have you ever heard of the Bible? You act like you have not. I suggest you read it. No matter WHAT version it is, it all means the same thing.Stating a fact and argueing are not the same thing. I am familiar with many versions of the Bible, as I am of other religions and paths. No, it does not mean the same thing and if you were as well read as you would like to appear, you would not have opened your mouth and inserted your foot. Have you not heard of the DaVinci Code, Holy Blood, Holy Grail, The Talmud, The Koran, The Book of Shadows? Do you take at face value what they have between the covers, I think not. Then why would you simpley assume that others would take at face value what is between the covers of the holy book that you have chosen to follow and believe? It is quite your business to do so, but it is not correct to assume that you may use YOUR source for fact as THE source for fact. OOPS, there goes that sematics thing again, huh?

mranderson
11-25-2006, 03:42 PM
Then if you think you are a theological scholar, then answer this. (I know the answer) What is the difference between THE cross and a cruisifx?

Martin
11-25-2006, 05:30 PM
cruisifix? like tom cruisifix? ...it's crucifix, anderson... you theological scholar, you.

many a crucifix features christ on the cross... but not all of them. what's your point?

it is not "hand-jive." it is a testimate [sic] of faith. first, it's testament. and second, i didn't mean to be disrespectful... but i was. my bad. my point was that the sign of the cross is the hand motion, not the cross itself. they're two different things.

-M

bandnerd
11-25-2006, 05:32 PM
...And I presume since you are married to Midtowner, you are Catholic? Humm.

You presume wrong. Not all of us feel the need to follow the antiquated (I love that word) "rules" the church used to impose upon people. While we may have been married in his church, I am most certainly not a catholic.

And as for the difference between the crucifix and a cross:

crucifix ( ) n. An image or figure of Jesus on the cross.
http://www.christusrex.org/www1/giotto/MCR-crucifix-m.jpg

A cross does not have the image of Jesus on it. THAT would be the difference.

http://www.twoheartsdesign.com/images/clipart/catholic/cross/images/crosswithsunrise.jpg

Martin
11-25-2006, 05:35 PM
the greek orthodox cross is different from the "christian cross" but it is still "a" cross. true, there are many crosses as gmm has related. however, in the context you've presented, the greek orthodox cross is still 'the' cross. while it looks slightly different, it represents the same thing... the instrument of christ's execution. -M

bandnerd
11-25-2006, 05:37 PM
Yeah, I need to stop posting in the mornings haha.

But it still looks different from the cross that mranderson and most likely Patrick have been referring to. I don't even know why I posted that. I should start drinking coffee or something.

Martin
11-25-2006, 05:41 PM
posting too early in the morning... if i were catholic i'd probably know how many 'hail marys' that is... but i'm sure it's alot... : )

-M

bandnerd
11-25-2006, 05:46 PM
haha :D

I think I post better after a few beers than when I post in the mornings.

Boomer Sooner. Yeah.

Back to topic, though...semantics aside, I don't put much of anything, let alone faith, into a symbol. Never have. Not even when I did attend church. And yes, there was a time in my life when I was active in church, way back in my past.

mranderson
11-25-2006, 06:02 PM
cruisifix? like tom cruisifix? ...it's crucifix, anderson... you theological scholar, you.

many a crucifix features christ on the cross... but not all of them. what's your point?

first, it's testament. and second, i didn't mean to be disrespectful... but i was. my bad. my point was that the sign of the cross is the hand motion, not the cross itself. they're two different things.

-M

My point is clear. I have told what THE cross is, and grandmama will not accept the fact it is accurate. Plus, we do not count off for spelling on this forum, so please stop correcting it.

In addition. The post where I asked the definition was NOT for you, it was for grandmama

GrandMaMa
11-25-2006, 06:04 PM
Then if you think you are a theological scholar, then answer this. (I know the answer) What is the difference between THE cross and a cruisifx?Mr. Anderson, I do not nor have I ever claimed to be any kind of a scholar, let alone a religious one , what difference does it make and what has what your question have to do with the subject at hand?

GrandMaMa
11-25-2006, 06:07 PM
true, there are many crosses as gmm has related. however, in the context you've presented, the greek orthodox cross is still 'the' cross. while it looks slightly different, it represents the same thing... the instrument of christ's execution. -MWhat makes it THE cross?

bandnerd
11-25-2006, 06:08 PM
So if we know the answer, we don't get to answer?

Geez, lighten up. We can't correct misspellings, give correct answers when we have them, and heaven forbid post in a FREE forum according to you. You're taking all the fun out of it.

And what makes you so sure you know what THE cross is? Are you a theological scholar?

Martin
11-25-2006, 06:14 PM
anderson,

call the waaahmbulance. look... when you try to talk down to other users as if you're supposedly more knowledgeable, i feel the need to remind you that you're not... you used the term as if you had information that others might not have... and you didn't even get it right. bad form.

so how does 'crucifix' versus 'the cross' advance your argument? i agree that the context of this thread is obvious... the christian cross... i'm just not following your line of reasoning by bringing up the term, 'crucifix'...

-M

Martin
11-25-2006, 06:16 PM
what makes it the cross?

because patrick, the original poster to this thread, is a christian. while he didn't spell it out, there's no doubt he intended the christian cross when he wrote 'the' cross.

-M

GrandMaMa
11-26-2006, 05:34 AM
because patrick, the original poster to this thread, is a christian. while he didn't spell it out, there's no doubt he intended the christian cross when he wrote 'the' cross.

-MPatrick is secure enough in his beliefs to not belittle anyone else's or lack of. I wouldn't be so certain that he would be so close minded as to think that everyone on this board would assume such. I have addressed Patrick openly, asking for clarification, and I believe that he is forthcoming enough to do so. I personally don't believe that is the issue here. The issue is how others without the objectivity of Patrick, have taken it upon themselves to assume that there is only ONE Cross that he could be referring to and that those who might have taken it in another way simply have no insight nor right to do so. When anyone can make the statement that "The" cross and "A" cross means the same thing is, in opion, suffering from tunnel vison.

PUGalicious
11-26-2006, 06:12 AM
anderson,
when you try to talk down to other users as if you're supposedly more knowledgeable, i feel the need to remind you that you're not... you used the term as if you had information that others might not have... and you didn't even get it right. bad form.
-M
:congrats::congrats::congrats:
Exactly.

NE Oasis
11-27-2006, 08:30 AM
bandnerd, you are AWESOME

bandnerd
11-27-2006, 05:54 PM
Evidently I'm awesome in the orange kind of way ;)

Don't say that too often, though...it might go to my head.

Keith
11-30-2006, 05:29 PM
This is the cross that lights of the 4 sides of one of the buildings downtown. This cross always looks nice, especially during this Christmas season.

http://www.okctalk.com/gallery/data/500/medium/snow_and_fire_001.jpg

Of course, it looks much better after dark.