View Full Version : Any amateur storm chasers out there?

AFCM
11-20-2006, 07:11 PM
To each their own, but I think you lived until you chase at least one tornado in your lifetime. Sometimes, we Okies take these natural wonders for granted. I've been out of state for a few years, but when I lived in Oklahoma I would chase tornadoes on occasion. I never got too close, but because they are unpredictable I was taking a risk.

I'm not promoting anyone put themselves in harms way; I'm just curious if anyone else out there likes storm chasing.

bandnerd
11-20-2006, 07:15 PM
I would love to do that, but in my entire 26 years of living in OK, I have NEVER even seen a tornado except for on the tv. How sad is that?

We just didn't get them nearly as often back home, in far Southern OK. Quite the rare event. Every time it's happened up here that I have lived in Edmond or OKC, it's either happened at night (too dark to see) or on the other side of town from me.

I used to want to be a meteorologist just to study those things. One of these days I'm sure I'll see one. It'll probably be coming right for my house, but at least I will have seen it :D

Easy180
11-20-2006, 08:01 PM
bandnerd...Come on down to Moore we get to see them up close...Had just got home from work right at the time the last major one hit....My dogs and I were cowering in the bathroom...Thankfully it missed my house by a 1/4 mile to the north

Great fun!...Wonder why I still live down here though :kicking:

cyclone1
02-28-2007, 03:00 AM
Not really an amateur, but I am a chaser with a few years experience. Seen a few tornadoes, some a little too close.