View Full Version : agressive Lab

redredwine
11-17-2006, 09:38 AM
Hi!

New person to the board......I have a 3 year old lab, he is SO beautiful! BUT....he has never been around other dogs not since he was a baby and now when he is around them he is SO agressive. I am not sure this is something normal, or something inbred. He is registered and I did see the parents, so I know he is from a great place. What do you know about this? He is a good dog otherwise.

sweetdaisy
11-17-2006, 11:41 AM
Need clarification as to what you mean by aggressive. Does he attack other dogs (biting, etc), or does he just bark & growl? Also, where does the interaction with other dogs occur? That may have alot to do with his behavior.

There are many possibilities as to his behavior. Some dogs are choosy about their playmates and some just don't like other dogs. I wouldn't identify it as something "inbred"; it may just be his personality (not very Lab-like) or could be the result of no socialization. You may want to talk to a trainer or your vet about potential socialization at this age.

Regardless, give a little more info about the behavior and I may be able to point you in the appropriate direction.

okcnative
11-17-2006, 12:14 PM
It sounds like you may want to take him into training. Has he been neutered? Maybe he just feels threatened by the unknown other dogs. But he (and you) can be trained, most likely.

I thought my dog, Bamie, was agressive towards other dogs, but found out she was only being protective of me when other dogs were nearby, or near "her" home. Basically, she had decided we were a "pack" (which dogs tend to look for) and that she was the protector.

Contact Full Circle Obedience and talk with Kaylan, Susie or Sydney. They might want to have you bring the dog by and observe him for a few minutes. Or they might want you to come to a class with other dogs. The class did it with my dog.

She just learned that being agressive towards other dogs was wrong. And it wasn't difficult for her to learn. Even with my next dog, Satch, though it took him more work and time, he learned everything the classes offered. (Granted some of it took a while even after classes were over. But you have to stay with it.) Satch was eventually so well behaved that he was able to accompany us on a 10-day hike in Grand Gulch carrying his own supplies through the desert.

Frankly, I found out that I had to be trained to train the dogs and give then the right messages. I have a new puppy I adopted. She was seriously abused before I got her. So we're working on that issue and it's going well.

Next, I will take her to Full Circle because I think it helps the owner and the dog to have a classroom of other dogs and people during the training. It's good socialization training for the dogs and the way they teach the classes, it's really a good path to take.

You can call Full Circle at (405)721-STAY (7829)

Since the school is always busy and they also give private lessons, it might be easier to go to the website and sent an email: FullCircleObedience.com || Full Circle Obedience School - Oklahoma City, 721-STAY.com 721STAY.com (http://www.fullcircleobedience.com)

redredwine
11-17-2006, 12:57 PM
Thanks!! ok agressive like one time he got out of the gate and attacked another dog that was coming out of his yard barking at Boo (that is my dog). He picked it up swung it around and I think he would have killed it. If I am walking him, he perks up when other dogs walk by but I quickly put him in his place and he is fine.....Like you said it is more of when he is with me, because he has also snapped at other WOMEN when they are with me and appear to be talking aggressively at me.........Does this Full Circle charge alot. He is nuetered and has been to obedience. He did not attack dogs in obedience but the one who attacked him first, and my husband took him not me. He is VERY attached to me since I am the one who cares for him alot.

mranderson
11-17-2006, 01:34 PM
Hi!

New person to the board......I have a 3 year old lab, he is SO beautiful! BUT....he has never been around other dogs not since he was a baby and now when he is around them he is SO agressive. I am not sure this is something normal, or something inbred. He is registered and I did see the parents, so I know he is from a great place. What do you know about this? He is a good dog otherwise.

Dogs are like children. When they get all the attention, then there is another kid in the house, they get jelious and sometimes get physical.

Are you paying more attention to the other dogs more than you are to him? If so, I am sure that is it.

When I was a kid, I had a Gordon Setter which looks like a long haired lab. He was as gentle as a lamb until my mom got a little puppy. Then he went a bit mashuga. Later on, some neighborhood bullies tormented him and he bit one of them and we were forced to part with him, however, whenever I saw him from that point, he was quite gentle.

Try some TLC. I bet it works.

redredwine
11-17-2006, 02:42 PM
He is the only dog here. When I am around other dogs am I paying attention to them do you mean? well........no, I am making sure my 100 lb dog is not ripping my arm off to get over there!!:kicking: He is a great dog with my kids and us. I am just not sure, I really think he is just not socialized but we are kinda scared to just let him out there, you know. On a leash he is quite a gentleman, but if another dog acts agressive toward him, you really have to hold on for dear life!

sweetdaisy
11-17-2006, 03:23 PM
redredwine, thanks for the clarification of the aggressive behavior. Making sure he wasn't just playing hard.

Okcnative probably has it correct...he's probably guarding you and being territorial around other dogs. He also may not recognize YOU as his pack leader, since your husband was the one who took him to training before.

Looks like Full Circle provides 6 training classes (and some goodies!) for $100. That's a pretty good deal. Especially if they are able to address the aggression. If they can teach you how to "get through" to Boo when he's beginning to get stressed, that will be worth every penny. I completely understand where you're coming from, and it's not any fun to have a dog that you're worried about walking or taking out into public. I'd say give it a try.

redredwine
11-17-2006, 04:05 PM
Thanks SD~

sweetdaisy
11-17-2006, 05:00 PM
Good luck to you, redredwine! Let us know how it goes. :)

redredwine
11-17-2006, 06:22 PM
ok! thanks again....

GrandMaMa
11-22-2006, 02:43 PM
I don't know if mentioning puppies for sale on this forum is allowed or not. I will , but if this post is removed, then I will know. I have 4 litters of puppies that either are ready to go or will be ready to go by the middle of December...wonderful Christmas puppies. They are all small and will remain small. I have HavaTzus (Havanese/ShihTzu cross) plus Straight ShihTzus, plus Cockapoos (Cocker/Toy Poodle) and DoxiePoos (Mini Doxie/Toy Poodle cross)The DoxiePoos are smaller now than most puppies are when they are born, but are over a month old already and are doing great. They all look like little toys that have come to life. All are eating dry puppy food well. All puppies have had their dew claws removed, are on a worming program that begins at 2 wks and will be current on their shots. The CockaPoos tails are also docked. The CockaPoos are already over 3 mos old and are still small (3 1/2 to 6 lbs) so I know that they too are going to remain small. As my husband has been ill and we beilive will be facing a hospital stay, all puppies are priced low so that they can go to their forever homes soon. Again, if this post gets removed, I will know that it isn't allowed and will certainly understand..oh, if anyone is interested and would like to see a photo, let me know...thanks

redredwine
11-23-2006, 07:56 AM
awwwwww........I wish!!! our lab I do not think would do well with any addition, hense the reason I posted the agressive lab thread in the first place.....good luck and make sure you screen people purchasing, I would hate to hear or see any go to bad homes. I am sure there is free back ground checks somewhere. The doxipoo ones sound adorable.

GrandMaMa
11-23-2006, 08:31 PM
awwwwww........I wish!!! our lab I do not think would do well with any addition, hense the reason I posted the agressive lab thread in the first place.....good luck and make sure you screen people purchasing, I would hate to hear or see any go to bad homes. I am sure there is free back ground checks somewhere. The doxipoo ones sound adorable.I totally agree

Keith
11-23-2006, 09:29 PM
I don't know if mentioning puppies for sale on this forum is allowed or not. I will , but if this post is removed, then I will know. I have 4 litters of puppies that either are ready to go or will be ready to go by the middle of December...wonderful Christmas puppies. They are all small and will remain small. I have HavaTzus (Havanese/ShihTzu cross) plus Straight ShihTzus, plus Cockapoos (Cocker/Toy Poodle) and DoxiePoos (Mini Doxie/Toy Poodle cross)The DoxiePoos are smaller now than most puppies are when they are born, but are over a month old already and are doing great. They all look like little toys that have come to life. All are eating dry puppy food well. All puppies have had their dew claws removed, are on a worming program that begins at 2 wks and will be current on their shots. The CockaPoos tails are also docked. The CockaPoos are already over 3 mos old and are still small (3 1/2 to 6 lbs) so I know that they too are going to remain small. As my husband has been ill and we beilive will be facing a hospital stay, all puppies are priced low so that they can go to their forever homes soon. Again, if this post gets removed, I will know that it isn't allowed and will certainly understand..oh, if anyone is interested and would like to see a photo, let me know...thanks
No problem here......you are doing a great service for those puppies. I hope you are able to find all of them good homes.

GrandMaMa
11-24-2006, 01:03 AM
Thank you Keith, this is a photo of a female HavaTzu (Havanese/ShihTzu cross) whelped 10/04/06 When they mature, their hair almost touches the ground.

http://classiccarriages.tripod.com/missy.jpg

sweetdaisy
11-24-2006, 03:42 AM
No problem here......you are doing a great service for those puppies. I hope you are able to find all of them good homes.

I'd love to understand how she's "doing a great service for those puppies", Keith. She breeds them and makes money from them...how is that "doing a great service"?

A great service would be something along the lines of spaying or neutering your pet and or adopting a homeless animal.

GrandMaMa
11-24-2006, 10:39 AM
I'd love to understand how she's "doing a great service for those puppies", Keith. She breeds them and makes money from them...how is that "doing a great service"?

A great service would be something along the lines of spaying or neutering your pet and or adopting a homeless animal.I agree with you, SweetDaisy and disagree as well. We have rescue dogs that we have saved from kill centers and immediately had them neutered...but, they do eat, they will have worms, fleas and ticks and do need shots...that all costs money. Limited breeding of certain dogs and making sure that papers do not accompany them (selling as pets only) is one way (our way, until we become independantly wealthy, and I don't foresee that in the immediate future) that we can make a difference. We all do what we can do, we choose to do what we do this way, I applaud you for your methods, I'm sure that they are just as effective and suit your lifestyle and pocketbook more appropriate for you. In addition, we also adopt dogs/cats from kill centers to rehome. Again, we cannot do this without generating extra funds. We don't think of what we do as a "great service", we just consider it our way of trying to make a difference. No, we don't breed our females every time they can reproduce, it's not good for them, nor would we be able to find good homes for the puppies. I will agree, that there are some puppy mills that dispose of their puppies if they can't get them sold by a certain age, but that is something that they will have to live with, I don't have practices like that, I don't even think nor feel like that. I hope that you better understand our motives and our practices.

sweetdaisy
11-24-2006, 11:48 AM
Sorry Grandmama, I should've completed my line of thought on this to tell you that no disrespect was intended to you. If you choose to breed your animals and sell the puppies, that is your choice. While I am not a big fan of that, you have every right to do so and I hope you are a responsible breeder (and it sounds that you are).

I know there will always be demand for "purebred" animals, but while we as a city and state still have such a problem with pet overpopulation, I will never support it. I don't think you are a bad person (not that it matters to you), I just disagree with breeding at this time.

Thank you for your response and explanation, though it truly was not necessary. You do not have to justify yourself or what you do. I do understand your breeding supports some of your rescue efforts and I commend you for helping the homeless animals.

The point of my post was that Keith's statement that "you're doing a great service" demanded questioning...I could not connect the dots between breeding puppies and doing a great service.

Anyway, good luck with getting all your little ones adopted to good homes. I'm sure you will have great success - the pic of the one is DARLING.

GrandMaMa
11-24-2006, 02:06 PM
[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
Sorry Grandmama, I should've completed my line of thought on this to tell you that no disrespect was intended to you. If you choose to breed your animals and sell the puppies, that is your choice. While I am not a big fan of that, you have every right to do so and I hope you are a responsible breeder (and it sounds that you are).

I know there will always be demand for "purebred" animals, but while we as a city and state still have such a problem with pet overpopulation, I will never support it. I don't think you are a bad person (not that it matters to you), I just disagree with breeding at this time.

Thank you for your response and explanation, though it truly was not necessary. You do not have to justify yourself or what you do. I do understand your breeding supports some of your rescue efforts and I commend you for helping the homeless animals.

The point of my post was that Keith's statement that "you're doing a great service" demanded questioning...I could not connect the dots between breeding puppies and doing a great service.

Anyway, good luck with getting all your little ones adopted to good homes. I'm sure you will have great success - the pic of the one is DARLING.[COLOR="blue"]Thank you for your comments, and YES, it matters to me what people thing....to a point.

redredwine
11-24-2006, 02:08 PM
I can also say the best dog I ever owned, was one I found in a parking lot, she had been dumped. She was part St. Bernard and Golden ( I am sure other things) but looked like a St. in a Golden Retriever body. Chelsea I named her, she was absolutely the best dog on earth, never chewed, barked, nothing............I buried her about 6 months ago at the age of 14, I waited until she was really in pain, and I felt even then I was playing god by putting her down (I held her the whole time they were putting her to sleep). I cried like a baby for a week.
The moral of that is, we have a pure bred lab and as some of you have read, he is an idiot, or rather he is to smart and not very managable at times, regardless a good dog, but never a Chelsea........when I ever get another one, it will be a rescued one, one that is in need of me and my family for reasons obvious. I think breeding is fine, in limitation, because their are always people who want full bred dogs, but I prefer a HEINZ. I have had better luck with those type.

redredwine
11-24-2006, 02:12 PM
Oh well, also, I saw a pic in this free thing here online called ok4free.com....at first I was like OMG how cute are they, the pups, and read on. This woman, who supposedly transferred to Africa, was asking someone to adopt the pups just to keep while she was there, but you had to pay for the airfare to bring them here and stuff...............um after awhile I was thinking what a scam.......the air was 300.00 and what if NO dog was sent to you. WOW, I really hope that is not a scam, but sure sounds that way to me.

GrandMaMa
11-24-2006, 02:15 PM
I can also say the best dog I ever owned, was one I found in a parking lot, she had been dumped. She was part St. Bernard and Golden ( I am sure other things) but looked like a St. in a Golden Retriever body. Chelsea I named her, she was absolutely the best dog on earth, never chewed, barked, nothing............I buried her about 6 months ago at the age of 14, I waited until she was really in pain, and I felt even then I was playing god by putting her down (I held her the whole time they were putting her to sleep). I cried like a baby for a week.
The moral of that is, we have a pure bred lab and as some of you have read, he is an idiot, or rather he is to smart and not very managable at times, regardless a good dog, but never a Chelsea........when I ever get another one, it will be a rescued one, one that is in need of me and my family for reasons obvious. I think breeding is fine, in limitation, because their are always people who want full bred dogs, but I prefer a HEINZ. I have had better luck with those type.I agree with the Heintz being the better dogs most of the time, that's why I breed pure bred to purebred, the results being the best traits of both breeds, especially health issues. Another reason that I breed "Designer Puppies" is that people buy them for pets, they do not buy them to reproduce.

redredwine
11-24-2006, 02:23 PM
Well my mother bought her mini dachsund to breed her to sell the pups. But only to friends. I would buy one, hehe! only cuz they are SO cute and she is SO funny (sissy) her dachsund. It is personal preference, so I was just saying most mix dogs are good, but I am sure like any thing else their are always exceptions!!!

redredwine
11-24-2006, 02:25 PM
Ok, hold on, correction!!!!! she did not purchase her dog JUST to breed her, that sounded really bad. She bought her to have for a pet (she has 4 others) one rescue (may 3 99 tornado) 2 full bred mini's. She is a widow so her pets are her family.

GrandMaMa
11-24-2006, 02:57 PM
Well my mother bought her mini dachsund to breed her to sell the pups. But only to friends. I would buy one, hehe! only cuz they are SO cute and she is SO funny (sissy) her dachsund. It is personal preference, so I was just saying most mix dogs are good, but I am sure like any thing else their are always exceptions!!!

http://classiccarriages.tripod.com/cain.jpeg

This is a litle boy, 5 wks old. His mother is a mini Dachsund and his daddy is our 8 lb toy poodle. His name is Cain and he is just beginning to get a wave to his hair. Eventually, he will get pretty much the poodle hair and a fuzzy poodle face. He will probably not mature over about 7 lbs.

http://classiccarriages.tripod.com/cher.jpeg

Cher is a little girl from the same litter and should mature a little smaller than the little boy.Their mother was on her way to be put down when I took her. I know that some people may frown on my methods, but Chloe is very happy living with us. If we could afford to take care of all of them like they deserved, we would never breed another puppy.[

GrandMaMa
11-24-2006, 03:00 PM
Oh well, also, I saw a pic in this free thing here online called ok4free.com....at first I was like OMG how cute are they, the pups, and read on. This woman, who supposedly transferred to Africa, was asking someone to adopt the pups just to keep while she was there, but you had to pay for the airfare to bring them here and stuff...............um after awhile I was thinking what a scam.......the air was 300.00 and what if NO dog was sent to you. WOW, I really hope that is not a scam, but sure sounds that way to me.It is definitely a scam! There are lots of them on every pet website on the inter net. Most of the time, you find out that these people live in Africa, India, etc...they insist on Western Union payment (a method that every website warns you agains using) and no one ever sees the dog that they paid the shipping for

redredwine
11-25-2006, 06:52 PM
UGH! People are just to weird these days and have WAY to much time on their hands to think of that crap.....I just cannot believe that.

Karried
11-25-2006, 07:01 PM
Unfortunately, it's true. My mom's Yorkie disappeared ( I think it was a bobcat.. her yard backs to the creek) so I was thinking of buying her a puppy because she was so sad..

I saw the same ad on OKCFree for baby Yorkie twins.. inquired about them and realized they were out of town and the shipping was outrageous.. it was a scam... I would never pay for an animal to be shipped in the first place.. poor thing.. it would be so traumatized, but it is a ploy to get money.. thieves.. never, ever send money Western Union to people you don't know. On Ebay or any other website..

redredwine
11-26-2006, 04:49 PM
OMG!!! you saw that also Karrie? WOW!!!!!!!!!!! is that not sad!!