View Full Version : A close call for public schools!

Easy180
11-15-2006, 07:38 AM
How on earth would the public school systems survive w/o the Baptist children...Talk about a moronic proposal...They shouldn't have to spend 8 hours a day with heathen children

A resolution to take Baptist children out of public schools did not make it to the floor for a vote.

Like other Southern Baptist state conventions across the country, Frie said an "exit strategy" resolution calling for Southern Baptists to pull their children from public schools was submitted to the Oklahoma convention. It was not one of several resolutions approved Tuesday.

Frie said Oklahoma Southern Baptists wanted to send a different message. Instead of supporting the exit strategy proposal initially introduced at the Southern Baptist Convention's annual meeting several years ago, the committee submitted a resolution encouraging parents to be involved in their children's education in public, private or home schools.

Jordan said he was not surprised convention delegates approved the resolution.

"We do not propose an exit strategy because we believe we still have an opportunity to be ‘salt and light' in the public school system and we believe there are many public school systems across Oklahoma that are doing a good job," he said.

Jordan also said there are many good teachers and administrators committed to working within the public schools.

NE Oasis
11-15-2006, 11:14 AM
[QUOTE=Easy180;75744]How on earth would the public school systems survive w/o the Baptist children...Talk about a moronic proposal...They shouldn't have to spend 8 hours a day with heathen children

Just another reason why I am proud to be a Southern Baptist - AUTONOMY! State conventions do not have to adopt decisions of the national body, nor to local associations or individual churches have to adopt those of the state convention. Oklahomans as a rule avoid radical political behavior, it stands to reason that Oklahoma Southern Baptist would do the same.:Smiley053

Patrick
11-20-2006, 12:57 PM
Well, this only represents a minority of Southern Baptists. What wasn't really mentioned was that this was defeated at the Convention this year and in the past, and it's being brought up by the same guy every year.

IMO, we shouldn't remove our kids from public school. That's completely opposite of what Jesus would teach. He teaches to go into the world and spread the Word, not withdraw.

Martin
11-20-2006, 02:20 PM
how's about.... 2 corinthians 6:14-17?

14 do not be yoked together with unbelievers. for what do righteousness and wickedness have in common? or what fellowship can light have with darkness? 15 what harmony is there between christ and belial? what does a believer have in common with an unbeliever? 16 what agreement is there between the temple of god and idols? for we are the temple of the living god. as god has said: 'i will live with them and walk among them, and i will be their god, and they will be my people.' 17 'therefore come out from them and be separate, says the lord. touch no unclean thing, and i will receive you.'

of course, this is academic... i see that withdrawing kids from public schools is an overreaction to a problem and am therefore glad that such a motion hasn't been (and probably never will be) passed. while it doesn't seem like wisdom to me, i wouldn't agree that it's 'completely opposite' to what christ preached.

i think those supporting such a measure see that kids' morals can be eroded at public school. they are introduced to ideas and behavior contrary to their parents' teaching and to christian teaching. i therefore think that those same supporters would assert that christ's position would be, 'if going to public school jeopardizes a kid's salvation, then don't send him there.'

-M

NE Oasis
11-20-2006, 02:44 PM
how's about.... 2 corinthians 6:14-17?

Historically I've seen that verse tied to marraige.
I have to side with Patrick, let Christian chidren be salt and light to a dark world.

Martin
11-20-2006, 03:38 PM
those verses can be applied to marriage and i've seen them used that way, but the context is not limited to that scope. for one, i believe the amish use this to justify their lifestyle.

i'm not totally disagreeing with patrick. in fact, if i were baptist i wouldn't support this. those that i've known that have gone to christian schools lived overly sheltered lives, imo. they didn't receive as good of an education and they didn't understand how to deal with the diversity that this world offers.

i'm just disagreeing with the 'completely opposite' statement. sure, christianity calls for its followers to be good examples for the rest of the world, but that should never come at the expense of one's own soul. -M