View Full Version : Qusai-Book Review: "Historical Atlas of Oklahoma" (4th Edition)

HFK
11-13-2006, 06:20 PM
Recently, and somewhat inexplicably, I've begun to develop an interest in the State that I've lived in, and generally ignored, for 20+ years. Last weekend, during a sightseeing trip to Tulsa that was driven by my new-found interest, I stopped at a Barnes and Noble to dig-up some books on Oklahoma (apparently not a particularly easy thing to do, unless one's interest is strictly limited to OU football, but that's the subject of another post). However, I did come across the latest and greatest edition (4th) of the "Historical Atlas of Oklahoma", by Goins and Goble, published by OU Press, and I was immediately impressed. The book is so up-to-date that it sports a Centennial emblem on one of the first few pages. It's very well bound, with fine quality paper, and the content is truly first-rate: the maps are excellent, and the number of topics is bewildering. I was amazed by the variety: there's literally something for everyone in this book.

I'm going to buy some as Christmas presents: it's great for any Oklahoman but, I think, perhaps especially for an Oklahoma child. A child can explore it's myriad subjects and find something that is of particular interest to him, and then use it as a springboard for further study.

This is a book that every Oklahoman can be proud of. Good job Charles Goins, Danney Goble, and OU Press.

Doug Loudenback
11-13-2006, 07:26 PM
When I bought Lackmeyer & Moneey's book at Full Circle, I picked up a copy but I've not had a chance to look at it yet! My bad!

Just glancing through it now, in the Acknowledgments, I aee that the Oklahoma Centennial Commission made this book an official state centennial project!

HFK
11-13-2006, 09:28 PM
"Lackmeyer & Moneey's"? What book is that?

While we're on the subject of Oklahoma-related books, can anyone recommend a good general history of Oklahoma? The only general histories I've seen in the book stores were actually text books.

Doug Loudenback
11-14-2006, 02:31 AM
I'm talking about Steve Lackmeyer & Jack Money's OKC: Second Time Around, released 2 weeks ago this coming Thursday at Full Circle Book Store. The book covers OKC's (particularly downtown & bricktown) period from 1956 through current and it is, without a doubt, the very best OKC history book I've ever read.

The book is the subject of this thread, http://www.okctalk.com/okc-metro-area-talk/7964-okc-second-time-around-book-launch-tonight.html