View Full Version : How early is too early to put up Christmas decorations?

okcguy
11-13-2006, 12:36 PM
I love Christmas and am all ready looking forward to putting up my tree and decorating for the holidays. I generally put my stuff out the day after Thanksgiving or some times even that night after coming home from my family's. And years ago, I was even known to do it a couple of days before Thanksgiving. What do you all think? How early is too early? And when does everyone decorate your homes for the holidays?

MadMonk
11-13-2006, 12:43 PM
The weekend after Thanksgiving is normally when I begin decorating. Sometimes it's the following weekend. Really, any time prior to Thanksgiving seems too early to me.

bandnerd
11-13-2006, 01:42 PM
My apartment is slightly decorated for the fall right now...spicy candles, leafy wreath, and fall fruits in bowls all in orange, brown, red, and gold hues.

I usually do Christmas decorations the day after Thanksgiving. My mom usually waited a bit longer, because we got a fresh tree many years and we didn't want it to dry out. But we'd spend an entire Saturday putting stuff up!

okcguy
11-13-2006, 01:44 PM
I do a few fall decorations and candles, too. It kind of holds me over until I can do the Christmas stuff.

NE Oasis
11-13-2006, 03:16 PM
My decorations depend on the whims of my beloved bride, usually accompanied by requests for various custom extension cords. I can't bring myself to put any Christmas stuff up until after Thanksgiving. As a culture Americans seem to be multi-tasking more and more, can't we celebrate one holiday at a time?:Smiley053

mranderson
11-13-2006, 03:24 PM
Here is an idea. Just leave them up. When the stores say it is time, you are ready. Or you could just say you beat the stores.

NE Oasis
11-13-2006, 03:32 PM
Here is an idea. Just leave them up.

IMHO - the sign of a homeowner/tenant lacking in pride. Keep decorations appropriate to the season, maintain your yard/flowerbeds, stay one step ahead of peeling paint.:Smiley053

Patrick
11-13-2006, 04:05 PM
I agree NE Oasis. Leaving Christmas lights up year round looks trashy.

I say put them up the weekend after Thanksgiving, and take them down somewhere around New Years.

Keith
11-13-2006, 04:44 PM
I agree NE Oasis. Leaving Christmas lights up year round looks trashy.

I say put them up the weekend after Thanksgiving, and take them down somewhere around New Years.
The day after Thanksgiving for my family, and then I usually take them down the day after Christmas (ok, so maybe I am a scrooge). Actually, I usually wind up working on New Years Day so I don't have time to take them down on that day.

This year, I probably won't put up anything outside. We will just decorate the inside.

Ms.Relaxationstation
11-13-2006, 05:18 PM
Wanna hear something??? My mom keeps a Christmas tree up all year long. As the holiday changes so do her decorations on the tree. Take New Year- she decorated with "2007" and lil flags, Valentines Day gets assorted hearts, St. Patty's Day- lil green shamrocks, Mother's day- pink and red flowers.....you get the idea!

But anyway.....I always put my stuff up the weekend after Thanksgiving too!

Todd
11-13-2006, 05:27 PM
The weekend after Thanksgiving and the weekend after New Years get my vote.

Todd
11-13-2006, 05:28 PM
Do my little chili lights count? I can leave those up all year can't I?

Keith
11-13-2006, 05:32 PM
Do my little chili lights count? I can leave those up all year can't I?
Of course....as long as I can keep my M & M lights up.

Christmas Trees......we put a small one up because we have a big dog. Dog + Tree =.....well, you know.

Patrick
11-13-2006, 06:02 PM
Wanna hear something??? My mom keeps a Christmas tree up all year long. As the holiday changes so do her decorations on the tree. Take New Year- she decorated with "2007" and lil flags, Valentines Day gets assorted hearts, St. Patty's Day- lil green shamrocks, Mother's day- pink and red flowers.....you get the idea!

But anyway.....I always put my stuff up the weekend after Thanksgiving too!

That's really cool! I've heard of quite a few people leaving their "Holiday Tree" up all year round. Nothing wrong with that.

aintaokie
11-13-2006, 07:06 PM
Family tradition dictates that the tree and trimmings doesn't go up untill two weeks before Xmas. An October wedding aniversary, 2 November and 1 December birthdays, take priority. My favorite part of Christmans is the music and everyone else's decorations.

okcguy
11-13-2006, 10:39 PM
I'm glad to see most of you don't think right after Thanksgiving is too early. No one in my family does it nearly as early as I do, so I didn't realize alot of people do. I also like the idea of an all purpose holiday tree. If I had a very large place, I might even do one myself in some room, though probably not the living room. Any way, this thread has given me that Christmas decorating itch. But I am going to wait until at least Thanksgiving night to scratch it!

Spartan
11-13-2006, 11:00 PM
You know you're a redneck...if you keep yer christmas lights up on yer front porch all year long...

y_h
11-15-2006, 08:51 AM
I love the Christmas season (even though I'm Jewish) and as far as I'm concerned, Christmas season starts as soon as Haloween ends, so any time after October 31 would be okay in my book. XM satellite radio opened the first of their four holiday music channels on Monday (11/13/06) and I've had it on in my office and my car ever since. I noted that Penn Square Mall had its Christmas decorations and Santa's Village up when I was there on November 2. Neiman Marcus in St. Louis had their Christmas department open in late August (but no actual Christmas decorations in other parts of the store) - that's a bit early even for my tastes. The Nordstrom here makes a point of informing its shoppers that it will not open its Christmas windows or put up holiday decorations until the day after Thanksgiving. The windows actually get set up a few days before, but they are obscured by opaque shades that have the advisory printed on them.

As far as removing holiday decorations go, I think carrying the season over to the first Sunday after New Years is sufficient. After that it just gets depressing to see the lights up and know that the holidays are another 11 months away.

KMac
11-15-2006, 08:38 PM
I have 1/2 my house bordered in lights allready! I'd rather put them up now when I have time & in a t-shirt instead of a parka freezing my fingers!I won't turn them on till after Thanksgiving tho!

Easy180
11-15-2006, 08:40 PM
Bet you weren't out there today putting them up huh?

KMac
11-15-2006, 08:50 PM
no, but I did manage 2 strings of lights Sunday before the rain came in!

Flatlander
11-16-2006, 11:07 AM
3 or 4 am is too early to put up christmas decorations.lol