View Full Version : MG Forum

SpectralMourning
11-11-2006, 07:45 PM
Forgive me for adding any clutter, I figured it'd be nice to add a thread providing insight to any MG developments as to any automotive industry developments in Oklahoma. If one would like to contribute, feel free to do so.

My first inquiry is in regards to the potential skyscraper development and the MG company. From the Oklahoma City Chamber: "...MG vehicles will not only be built in Nanjing, China, (NAC's home), but also at the Longbridge assembly plant near Birmingham, England and at a new American assembly plant to be built at the Ardmore Air Park in Ardmore, Oklahoma. Headquarters for MG sales, marketing and distribution (outside of Asia) will be located in Oklahoma City. Research and development will be in Norman at the University of Oklahoma."

If MG moves headquarters for sales, marketing, and distribution to Oklahoma City, one would think a campus sprawl would be too large to accommodate various operations as well as oversight for seperate campuses and manufacturing facilities in Oklahoma and Europe. I would figure they would have to expand through a new skyscraper and possibly a campus around the initial headquarters.

As for R&D in Norman, is there any speculation as to where this will be located? How large will this facility be and what will it accommodate? Will they build a track or use those available in other locations?

Also, does anyone have photos of the Ardmore Air Park? It'd be really interesting to see what we're dealing with.

Again, feel free to add any inquiry into this forum.

windowphobe
11-12-2006, 10:37 AM
MG is a fairly low-volume make - current projections call for maybe 15,000 cars a year - so they won't need anything like Detroit's Renaissance Center. (I would admittedly love to see some sort of tower downtown with the MG octagon on it, preferably illuminated at night.)

I've been wondering about the test track. Since MG has hired Lotus as a consultant, they may be able to do most of their testing at Lotus' British facilities. Still, North American conditions are sufficiently different to warrant testing Stateside as well.