View Full Version : Never Forget

Karried
11-09-2006, 08:30 PM
I was thinking about this earlier since we have so many different ages on this board.. ever remember when you were younger and your parents talked about the 'one' thing in their past they never forgot?

For my mom it was John F Kennedy.. she remembers so vividly every detail of that day he was assassinated.

I know for me it will always be The Twin Towers 911 - I hope that nothing else can ever be worse than that. Something else I'll never forget is the Earthquake of 89 in the Bay Area.. that was terrifying.

Do you have a memory that you will share with your kids or grandchildren? Or do you remember something your parents always referred to along these lines?

I'm curious to see the different responses since we have such a diverse age group here.

Intrepid
11-09-2006, 08:43 PM
Before 9/11, mine was the Challenger disaster. I was in grade school and remember being home sick that day.

What's ironic is that I was also home sick the day of 9/11, as well as when the tornado hit Moore in 1999.

Kinda creepy that I was home sick on all of those tragic days.

Karried
11-09-2006, 08:59 PM
How could I have forgotten the Challenger!? Now that you mention it that day stands out too... it's one of those things where you remember exactly where you were, who you called, what you watched.. pretty eerie thinking about it.

Talking about different ages.. my mom also remembers when Elvis died.. she loved him.

Intrepid
11-09-2006, 09:02 PM
How could I have forgotten the Challenger!? Now that you mention it that day stands out too... it's one of those things where you remember exactly where you were, who you called, what you watched.. pretty eerie thinking about it.

Talking about different ages.. my mom also remembers when Elvis died.. she loved him.

My mom absolutely LOVES Elvis. And now that you brought it up, I remember coming in from playing outside and walking in the house trying to find my mom. She was in her bedroom sobbing miserably after learning what had happened.

MadMonk
11-09-2006, 09:07 PM
One story my dad used to say he's never forget was during the Cuban missle crisis. My dad was responsible for a battery of Minuteman missles. He was recalled to his base while he was on leave and on the drive in he could see all the missles raised into their "ready" position. He thought for sure we were going to war with the U.S.S.R.

Like Intrepid, my first "where were you" event was also the Challenger disaster. I was at work and we were watching the launch on a little breakroom TV.

Then of course there is the Murrah building bombing and the WTC attack.

Spartan
11-09-2006, 10:04 PM
Fornigate.