View Full Version : Project "X" - New highrise office tower for OKC?!

Pages : [1] 2

CuatrodeMayo
11-09-2006, 07:51 PM
Here is an interesting tidbit:

I was at a guest lecture at my school tonight (OSU School of Architecture). The special speaker was Jim Bruza of FSB and one of his associates. For the most part, I was unimpressed by their work. But as they showed the projects they currently have on the drawing board right now, the last project caught my attention. It was what they called "Project X". It consisted of a 30-40 storey highrise with a public plaza at the base. The renderings they showed had the building placed in a backdrop that looked much like OKC. I tried to ask more questions, but due to secrecy agreements, they were not able to disclose anymore than the fact that they were extremely excited about it and that it was looking like the project is going to be a go. As much as they were laboring the fact that they are a huge promoter of OKC, I find their excitement interesting.

This is no rumor...I heard it straight from Jim Bruza himself.

Spartan
11-09-2006, 07:55 PM
I am not a Frankfurt Short Bruza fan myself, but I am glad they are doing the tower. Anthony McDermid or (especially) Rand would have come up with something too post modern. It also signifies the firm's entrance into the "Renaissance" which is notable, in my opinion.

I think very, very little of their State Fair crapola.

Luke
11-09-2006, 07:55 PM
Very interesting...

CuatrodeMayo
11-09-2006, 07:59 PM
Agreed...we were discussing their design upstairs afterwords and basically we think our second year students would put them to shame. I wasn't a fan before tonight and I am less of one now. It's sad.

Spartan
11-09-2006, 08:05 PM
You misread me. The tower aint bad; it's good to go conservative with OKC's first new tower in umpteen decades, you don't want to mess with the look and feel of the skyline so much...give things time to balance, there will be more skyscrapers to come.

But where we do agree is where I vehemently hate all of their other designs. :)

Kerry
11-09-2006, 08:07 PM
I was just doing a little on-line research to see if I could find any related news and while I haven't found anything yet - Emporis.com is showing a proposed Embassy Suites in Bricktown. I know this was rumored to be on the way but was there an official annoucement?

The hotel is supposed to 10 stories and 120ft.

Spartan
11-09-2006, 08:10 PM
Emporis has had that for a while actually.

CuatrodeMayo
11-09-2006, 08:11 PM
I know what you meant. I was refering to their design skill as a whole, not the design of the highrise. My apologies for my lack of clarity.

stlokc
11-09-2006, 08:45 PM
Cuatro...
Did they give any indication about who might be behind the tower? Is it a particular company looking for a HQ, or what? The trend now seems to be mixed-use. For example, 5 stories of parking, 20 stories of an unnamed office HQ, 10 stories of condos on top...that could be something a company in OKC who is not looking for all 40 stories of offices might do as an investment.

I would be curious to know more...

Nuclear_2525
11-09-2006, 08:49 PM
so OKC is getting a new tower, but its nothing special???

Spartan
11-09-2006, 09:02 PM
How do you figure that?

Oh it's just a new tower...

CuatrodeMayo
11-09-2006, 09:07 PM
I would be curious to know more...

I tired to get that info out of them but to no avail.

Spartan
11-09-2006, 09:28 PM
Are you anti-private message, Cuatrode? I am curious if we are thinking of the same thing...

John
11-10-2006, 02:15 AM
What did the tower look like?

Any buildings you could compare it to?

Spartan
11-10-2006, 06:58 AM
Yeah, the Empire State Building.

Just kidding.

CuatrodeMayo
11-10-2006, 08:58 AM
What did the tower look like?

Any buildings you could compare it to?

From what I remember, it is an all-glass box with some more solid elements flanking it towards the bottom. It was situated diagonally on one corner of its lot. In front of it was a large public plaza with a pond-type feature. The designer did mention that incorporating public areas was a design goal. If there is parking, I couldn't tell where it was.

BDP
11-10-2006, 09:46 AM
The designer did mention that incorporating public areas was a design goal.

That sounds promising. We all want a signature design jutting up into the skyline, but its the ground level features that make it useable, imo. However, it's entriely possible to do both and we should hope for both.

I'm guessing it's not residential if it doesn't have balconies. It seems most new residential towers incorporate balconies. However, I would be a little skeptical of the viability of an all office tower in OKC with all the vacancies. Then again we could use some more class A to get business out of the burbs and into the city.

y_h
11-10-2006, 12:13 PM
It'd be nice to see a mixed-use high rise go up in downtown OKC. I'd like to see the type of high rise that features three or four floors of retail and restaurant space starting at street level (and perhaps even a small grocery store in the basement), a high-end hotel on top of the retail concourse and then office space further up. Downtown Chicago is full of mixed use towers and we're starting to see the consideration of a few in Clayton (St. Louis's "second downtown" in the central suburbs). A project like this just might spark a retail renaissance in downtown OKC.

HOT ROD
11-10-2006, 03:45 PM
I hope so y h.

Continue the Renaissance OKC!!!

Spartan
11-10-2006, 04:54 PM
It'd be nice to see a mixed-use high rise go up in downtown OKC. I'd like to see the type of high rise that features three or four floors of retail and restaurant space starting at street level (and perhaps even a small grocery store in the basement), a high-end hotel on top of the retail concourse and then office space further up. Downtown Chicago is full of mixed use towers and we're starting to see the consideration of a few in Clayton (St. Louis's "second downtown" in the central suburbs). A project like this just might spark a retail renaissance in downtown OKC.

Whoa really?

Spartan
11-10-2006, 05:06 PM
I was just doing a little on-line research to see if I could find any related news and while I haven't found anything yet - Emporis.com is showing a proposed Embassy Suites in Bricktown. I know this was rumored to be on the way but was there an official annoucement?

The hotel is supposed to 10 stories and 120ft.

No they aren't, or at least, I can't find it...

brianinok
11-11-2006, 10:24 AM
This will certainly be exciting if it is confirmed. I just hope that it will be downtown and not in the suburbs. Assuming it looks half-way decent (which I am sure it will-- I haven't seen any towers built in years that look bad), I don't think we can complain at all at how it looks, considering it has been 20+ years since a skyscraper has been built in OKC.

jbrown84
11-11-2006, 11:28 AM
I like the idea of it being diagonal to the corner. I don't believe we have any buildings in the CBD that sit diagonal to the relative grid.

okcguy
11-11-2006, 01:43 PM
I hope this happens, but I won't get my hopes up until it is confirmed. I think even just one more tower would do wonders for our skyline!

Doug Loudenback
11-11-2006, 05:42 PM
I hope this happens, but I won't get my hopes up until it is confirmed. I think even just one more tower would do wonders for our skyline!

Hope is good, but, like you, I'm a "show me" kind of guy. I'll believe it when I see it, and, thus far, all we have is a bit of wholly undocumeted internet fluff as to it's coming to pass ... not enough substance, for me, to be believable. Sources can be coy, and that's fine ... but that mitigates negatively about the credibilty of their report(s).

For now, I'm thinking that this report is just more "pie in the sky." Wish it were not so, and I'll believe it when I see it.

Spartan
11-11-2006, 11:41 PM
This will certainly be exciting if it is confirmed. I just hope that it will be downtown and not in the suburbs. Assuming it looks half-way decent (which I am sure it will-- I haven't seen any towers built in years that look bad), I don't think we can complain at all at how it looks, considering it has been 20+ years since a skyscraper has been built in OKC.

Been to Louisville lately? :053:

Patrick
11-12-2006, 01:37 PM
With the huge vacancy rate downtown, I can't see another office tower being built. Maybe a 40-50 story residential tower would work.

Spartan
11-12-2006, 01:47 PM
Have you examined that vacancy rate?

CuatrodeMayo
11-13-2006, 10:34 AM
Hope is good, but, like you, I'm a "show me" kind of guy. I'll believe it when I see it, and, thus far, all we have is a bit of wholly undocumeted internet fluff as to it's coming to pass ... not enough substance, for me, to be believable. Sources can be coy, and that's fine ... but that mitigates negatively about the credibilty of their report(s).

For now, I'm thinking that this report is just more "pie in the sky." Wish it were not so, and I'll believe it when I see it.

I can understand your skepicism. I too usually take reports with a grain of salt. However, this is not a rumor. I was there. I saw the renderings and listened to Jim Bruza and his associate describe the project. The location is questionable (all indications point to OKC) but the building itself is currently in early schematic design. Some entity has paid to have FSB do design work. While an architect's fee it is a small fraction of the total building cost, it is still a substantial financial commitment. This would indicate that this entity is at least somewhat serious about the project. If the project isn't a go (which FSB seems to think it will be, but I'm not holding my breath), it is because the entity that commissioned the building changed its mind.

Regardless of whether or not this project is a go or even if it is in OKC, my reporting is due some respect. At least more respect than the chain emails that fill up your inboxes.

BDP
11-13-2006, 10:43 AM
Have you examined that vacancy rate?

That's really a good point. It is my understanding that the vacancies are mainly in Class B and C. If that's the case. I'd love to see a class A tower (if viable) and convert the vacant B&C to housing. I think Malibu makes this point a lot and it may be valid, if my assumptions are correct. If anyone knows a breakdown of vancancy by class, I'd love to see it.

Patrick
11-13-2006, 03:53 PM
Price Edwards and Associates has the information, I believe.

Doug Loudenback
11-13-2006, 06:06 PM
I can understand your skepicism. I too usually take reports with a grain of salt. However, this is not a rumor. I was there. I saw the renderings and listened to Jim Bruza and his associate describe the project. The location is questionable (all indications point to OKC) but the building itself is currently in early schematic design. Some entity has paid to have FSB do design work. While an architect's fee it is a small fraction of the total building cost, it is still a substantial financial commitment. This would indicate that this entity is at least somewhat serious about the project. If the project isn't a go (which FSB seems to think it will be, but I'm not holding my breath), it is because the entity that commissioned the building changed its mind.

Regardless of whether or not this project is a go or even if it is in OKC, my reporting is due some respect. At least more respect than the chain emails that fill up your inboxes.

I wasn't intending to knock you, CuatrodeMayo, and it was a good report. I'm just jaded, I guess!

Spartan
11-13-2006, 08:19 PM
Doug, you said just the same thing in a thread where I hinted of a "major aerospace manufacturing company about to set shop in OKC" where "rumours" came through.

Price Edwards and Associates has the information, I believe.

CB Richard Ellis has some of that info up on their website.

Patrick
11-13-2006, 08:59 PM
Being that there is a shortage of Class A space downtown, I could see how a new office tower could be profitable downtown. But, we really need to get some of the Class C space off the commercial real-estate lists and onto the residential real-estate lists.

okcpulse
11-13-2006, 09:07 PM
Being that there is a shortage of Class A space downtown, I could see how a new office tower could be profitable downtown. But, we really need to get some of the Class C space off the commercial real-estate lists and onto the residential real-estate lists.

That is part of the formula to make downtown Oklahoma City into a booming skyline. Let's wipe out the Class C space, convert it to residential and... voila... companies and firms have no place left to refuse. Solution? BUILD MORE SKYSCRAPERS!!!!

okcitian
11-13-2006, 09:24 PM
I've heard plans for a new highrise tower but I wasn't given any details I just know someone who works for the people who have the plans to build a new one. I don't remember if he works for real estate or an architect firm. I didn't believe him at all at first since it sounds too good to be true but it seems like its really going to happen from what i hear from here. We'll see how this goes when it gets proposed.

HOT ROD
11-14-2006, 04:45 AM
awesome news OKcitian. Man, Oklahoma City is truly the Renaissance City.

You all have lots!!! to be proud of. Man, I just wish it didn't get so dang hot - I'd move back!!!

But I love being an avid visitor - and definitely plan on making it to the Centennial and a Hornets game (esp when the Sonics come to town - since I live in Seattle). LOL.

Heck, OKC is even gonna get the SONICS. Hat's off to the new city of the century - the Renaissance City - Oklahoma City!!!

Patrick
11-14-2006, 04:45 PM
Hot Rod, you need to buy a house here, and divide your time wisely. Come here during the fall, winter, and spring, then return to Seattle in the summer.

Spartan
11-14-2006, 06:52 PM
Or you could just stay up there in Seattle until your skin gets all pruny, and then come back here for it to dry up a little at least, maybe even get a tan, then go back up...and so forth.

metro
11-16-2006, 04:14 PM
I wonder if MG is behind any of it? Tronox announced a move over to Leadership Square today so it can't be them.

HOT ROD
11-18-2006, 04:40 AM
Hot Rod, you need to buy a house here, and divide your time wisely. Come here during the fall, winter, and spring, then return to Seattle in the summer.

I think its a great idea. Maybe I could buy a downtown condo and rent it out when Im not in town. Then for a month or two - I could stay there.

Hmmmm.

I'd like a highrise tho. So I'll await an OKC highrise condo announcement then .......

Boomer Sooner!

SOONER8693
11-18-2006, 08:16 AM
I am clueless on how to do such stuff. But, could someone who knows how to "photo-shop" or "fark" or whatever it is called, do a picture of the downtown OKC skyline with a "hypothetical" tower as has been mentioned in this thread. You know, just for fun, to tease our imagination a little.

okcpulse
11-18-2006, 09:43 AM
I am working on a rendering with a few extra towers for downtown OKC. Only it won't be Photoshopped, I am designing the towers using 3DS Max and recreating downtown OKC's skyline using the same program. It will be a single rendering. It'll take months, however.

Decious
11-19-2006, 10:47 PM
I guess I'll add to the rumor.

The company that installed the plumbing for the new Super Target in Norman has landed a substantially bigger contract. That same company has been hired to install the plumbing for a new 40 story hotel in downtown OKC. The building will be mixed-use, with condos on the uppermost floors. They are to start the prefab relatively soon.

Take it for what you will.

P.S. I don't know which hotel/when an announcement might come/who the developer is/where exactly downtown this would be/etc.

I'm by no means an insider and I'm not trying to be. Nevertheless, I've checked into this info and.................so far it checks out.

BDP
11-20-2006, 10:02 AM
40 stories would make it the tallest building, right? I think Chase is close, but not quite 40, right?

Easy180
11-20-2006, 10:14 AM
I think the Chase tower is only in the 30's

BDP
11-20-2006, 10:20 AM
That sounds right.

TStheThird
11-20-2006, 10:45 AM
Chase is 32 I believe.

BFizzy
11-20-2006, 11:33 AM

jbrown84
11-20-2006, 12:06 PM
You can't really go by floors, you have to go by feet. For example, Leadership Square has 22 floors, while BOK Plaza has only 16, however BOK Plaza is two feet taller.

Chase is 36 floors and 500 feet. Tulsa's First Place Tower is 40 floors and 518 feet. That's the ugly one that's second tallest downtown. Houston has 40 story buildings at 550, 579, and 600 feet.

It could definitely be a new tallest.

Swake2
11-20-2006, 12:09 PM
Number of floors is not always a good indicator of height. In Tulsa The BOk Tower at 52 floors is taller than the 60 floor main Citiplex tower. Another example, The Midcon Tower at 36 floors is taller than the First Place Tower across the street with 41 floors.

Office buildings often have much more space between floors than hotels or residential buildings.

BDP
11-20-2006, 12:35 PM
That's true, jbrown. If, in fact, it is 40 floors, it will most likely be taller than Chase, but that's not a gurantee.

jbrown84
11-20-2006, 01:44 PM
Number of floors is not always a good indicator of height. In Tulsa The BOk Tower at 52 floors is taller than the 60 floor main Citiplex tower. Another example, The Midcon Tower at 36 floors is taller than the First Place Tower across the street with 41 floors.

Office buildings often have much more space between floors than hotels or residential buildings.

see one post above you

CuatrodeMayo
11-20-2006, 01:55 PM
Modern office buildings and buildings in general are beginning to tend towards more distance between the floors. A good rule of thumb is about 15' floor to floor. 40 X 15 = 600 feet tall. That is assuming the building is the full 40 storeys. The final floor count is still being worked out according to FSB.

jbrown84
11-20-2006, 02:01 PM
It seems that Decious' and CuatrodeMayo's seperate inside information are pretty consistent.

That's a good sign.

brianinok
11-20-2006, 04:49 PM
Wow! I sure hope this project happens. Anybody know what hotel chains are doing multi-purpose towers in downtowns right now? Hyatt? Omni?

JOHNINSOKC
11-20-2006, 05:32 PM
This all sounds too good to be true, but very exciting if it IS true!! I hope we hear something concrete in the near future. Of course, it would take a couple of years from the time construction started, in all likelihood, before it would be open. I'm VERY curious to know where the proposed hotel/condo tower would be located. I think the time has come for new Class A office space to be constructed. If the city can get a company to fill the KMG building and then the First National building gets overhauled and filled, then our downtown will really be booming with construction cranes. Who knows how many towers we would have downtown by now if the oil boom of the 80's hadn't gone bust. I hope the next few years bring multiple announcements of new office, condo and hotel towers. It's really starting to look like this city is going to take off to heights unseen in our history......VERY EXCITING!!!

okcpulse
11-20-2006, 07:17 PM
I'll assume it's too good to be true until otherwise.

John
11-20-2006, 07:23 PM
In one of the new plans, there was a 'proposed convention hotel' across the new boulevard from the Ford Center and on Robinson. I think in the lots where the on on ramp are and the gold building next door. (an at&t or OG+E building? i forget)

Pete
11-20-2006, 07:31 PM
That same company has been hired to install the plumbing for a new 40 story hotel in downtown OKC. The building will be mixed-use, with condos on the uppermost floors.

Oh, PLEASE be true!

And actually, that's exactly the type of development that I've always thought would make the most sense if OKC was going to add to it's skyline. Perhaps it will be located on the southern half of the Galleria parking lot? It would be a perfect spot.

Also, here's some reasons why hotel/residential buildings usually have less height per floor as compared to office buildings:

1. Apart from the common and banquet floors, the space is much more chopped up and generally speaking, the smaller the space/rooms, the less ceiling height is needed.

2. Office buildings typically run all their HVAC through suspended ceilings so they can easily reconfigure space. It's rare to have suspended ceilings in hotels or condos.

If it does turn out to be a 40-story hotel and/or reidential tower, I bet Chase will still be taller. Still, I'll take it!!!!