View Full Version : Dell - More Employees?

Karried
11-09-2006, 06:53 PM
Dell may relocate hundreds of jobs to OKC

OKLAHOMA CITY - Dell is considering adding up to 700 new jobs at its Oklahoma City campus, an Employment Security Commission official said Tuesday.

Richard McPherson, director of work force services for OESC, said Dell was attempting to improve customer service and was considering moving several offshore jobs back into the United States. He said Oklahoma City was one of the sites being considered for hundreds of jobs, many of which are in the technical support field.

"There's a possibility that Oklahoma City could gain an additional 700 positions," McPherson told commission members.

McPherson reported that more than 2,200 people had already been trained to work on the Dell campus. He said the original estimate for Dell jobs when it was announced in spring of 2004 was between 350 and 500.

"This project evolved into something ... much larger than any of us anticipated," McPherson said.

If Oklahoma City were to receive all of the transferred jobs, McPherson said it would give the area the largest influx of Dell employees outside of Austin. He said a third building would be constructed for the additional employees.

(Here's the rest of the article)

Dell may relocate hundreds of jobs to OKC (http://www.kfor.com/Global/story.asp?S=5652571&nav=6uy5c95W)

mranderson
11-09-2006, 06:59 PM
Before I left, Dell said the third building would be built. It was originally to be started in June.

I fully expect those 700 or more people here.

Intrepid
11-09-2006, 08:08 PM
Just on a side note, that Richard McPherson, with the OESC, is one my mom's bosses. (She works for the OESC as a local office manager in Norman)

BDP
11-10-2006, 09:53 AM
Interesting. If it happens and works, maybe it will send a signal to the industry that Oklahoma City is a viable alternative to placing jobs overseas..

HOT ROD
11-10-2006, 03:48 PM
OKC definitely IS a viable alternative!!! The more the merrier.