View Full Version : Oklahoma Centennial

roboticbrad
11-09-2006, 04:59 PM
First off I'm very excited about the Oklahoma Centennial and all the events and projects that will be going on. But I was thinking, why couldnt Oklahoma use one of the Projects to build a huge tourist attraction that could bring tons of tourist for years to come? I was thinking of something like a St. Lois Arch, Space needle, etc. Thoughts?

metro
11-09-2006, 05:02 PM
you would think huh?

Karried
11-09-2006, 05:08 PM
That would be a great use of the money allocated for the Centennial.. something we could enjoy for years to come..

I know we have talked about a structure in the past..

John
11-09-2006, 07:19 PM
I think a great project would be something similar to Millennium Park in Chicago.

Somewhere between the river and downtown would be a good area.

One of my favorite 'developments' anywhere.

Millennium Park (http://www.millenniumpark.org/)

Karried
11-09-2006, 07:22 PM
That would be incredible. wow, that is some park!

Patrick
11-12-2006, 01:30 PM
We've discussed building a large oil derrick before, complete with an observation deck, gift shop, and restaurant at the top. What other ideas do you guys have?

SpectralMourning
11-12-2006, 01:52 PM
I'm a big fan of the proposed sculpture for Maywood Park, only about four times larger than proposed. While it wouldn't look good in the middle of the Downtown skyline, I think it would be great offset like the original plan proposed.

I'm not a fan of the oil derrick proposal as it would draw sterotype to Oklahoma ("the state with Toby Keith and the really big oil derrick..." just doesn't cut it for me.) It reminds me of the proposal for a large "tornado tower" outside of Kansas City, Kansas.

I think it would be nice to have something that draws world attention to us, right on the river. Something more than likely postmodern, but not gaudy and silly.

Patrick
11-13-2006, 03:49 PM
What would you guys think about The Crystal Tower, built on land near the Crystal Bridge? I say buy out the Ford Dealership and build the structure there, expanding the Myriad Gardens underneath it.