View Full Version : OKC apartments

Mandy
11-07-2006, 09:53 AM
Moving is so stressful, isn't it? Especially when you've never been to the place you're moving to! I'm moving to OKC in December and I'm having to rely heavily on apartment websites (e.g. rent.com, apartments.com, apartmentguide.com, etc.) and what I can find by searching, to narrow down to a few I can see in person before I sign a lease. So far I have three in mind: Quail Landing, Villas at Stonebridge, and The Residences at 6000 Penn (couldn't find reviews for this one, though). All I have to go on are pictures the complex provides, reviews at apartmentratings.com, and floor plans. Quail Landing is my favorite because it has amazing reviews, and they look pretty enough inside.

I don't really care where they are located as long as they aren't in an unsafe area, and my friend can get to work in an hour or less. He'll be working in Southern OKC.

I was hoping someone here may know of a place that meets my requirements that I haven't seen. I know there are a LOT that I haven't seen! I need one with their own website that has pictures because I need to be able to see what they look like inside.

Here is what I need/want:
2+ bedroom/2 (full)bathroom
cats allowed (2)
preferably around $800-$1000 (or less!)
alarms
attached garages a huge plus
roomy
nothing inside that isn't cat-friendly (e.g. sharp, metal railing, hangy things like chandeliers that cats may make it their obsession to get to, etc.)
nice staff
pretty apartments (nice & clean floors, enough windows, crown molding & details like that, nice countertops, garden tubs or whirlpool tubs, etc.)
hardwood floors a huge plus
gated or inside like a hotel
utilities included (even for over my price range) would be nice

That's all I can think of right now. I might be asking too much for in my price range, I don't know. Safety is priority #1.

Thanks so much for any help! :)

davido
11-07-2006, 01:43 PM
Check out Norman, from my house to Downtown OKC, where I work takes 20 min, I drive at 1pm. So south okc if you took interstate then side streets, would be about the same. depends where your work is. There is a 1 story bungalow next to my Mom that is for rent.

here is a Norman link
McSha Properties (http://www.mcsha.com/index2.html)

okcguy
11-07-2006, 02:06 PM
I live in The Regency Tower downtown and like it alot. It has many of the features you are looking for, though not all of them. For a two bedroom/two bath, it is in your price range and all utilities are included, which is nice. There is garage parking for an additional monthly fee. The building is secure with a 24 hour concierge and very safe feeling. Not to mention if you get an apartment facing the skyline, the view can't be beat if you are up high. They accept pets. The apartment doesn't have hard wood floors, though the carpet in my apartment appeared brand new when I moved in and my appliances and fixtures looked to have been recently updated. They have a website, so you should check it out. Regency Tower Apartments - Oklahoma City Apartments (http://www.regency-tower.com) Good Luck!

Spartan
11-07-2006, 04:25 PM
There's a thread in Best/Worst...

Mandy
11-09-2006, 07:03 AM
OKCguy, those apartments have some very bad reviews on apartmentratings.com (you should go there and add your positive opinion), even so, I called them. I asked about a corner one and they said they'd have available in December, but it's on the 18th floor or something. I can't be that high. He said that floors 1-12 are for permanent residents only, but that some of them rent them out their selves. I'd love a view like that, but I can't risk my cats accidentally running out on the balcony and falling off. They can't tell they're up that high - it's called high-rise syndrome, and I've read too many horror stories about it!!

Thanks, though. :)

Davido, there just aren't enough pictures for me to be able to tell if I'd like those. I wish apartments would take more pictures. I'll add them to the maybe list just in case. Thanks. :)

davido
11-09-2006, 07:57 PM
Deep Deuce (http://www.deepdeuce.com/)
Find Oklahoma City apartments and homes for rent in the GREATER OKLAHOMA area at Deep Deuce. (http://www.deepdeuceapts.com/s/homepage) lots of pics and a virtual tour

Rentals.com - Deep Deuce - Oklahoma City, OK 73104 (http://www.deepdeuceapts.com/j/s/i/iFrame.jsp?p_usid=&p_pgid=9&p_poid=IJLKI1277F&p_fpid=IJJCP1277F)
915.00 mo
Custom Features:
Woodburning fireplaces
Downtown skyline views
Ceramic tile entries
French doors
double
cat-friendly
Transom windows
Garden bath tubs
Vaulted ceiling/ceiling fans
Kitchen w/island
White-on-white appliances
Opera style balconies
W/D connections or W/D in apt. home
Limited access gates
Individual alarm systems
State-of-the-art fitness center
Sparkling pool
24-hour emergency maintenance
Valet trash pick-up
Historical clubhouse w/billiards
Valet dry cleaning
Reserved covered parking/attached garages

dirtrider73068
11-10-2006, 08:09 AM
Check in norman the apartments will b echeaper than 800 a month. Some of the 2 beds go for around 400-500 a month, adn to get to south side of OKC your looking at about 15 min or so.

okcguy
11-11-2006, 01:49 PM
Mandy, I have read those bad reviews on that site, but I take them with a grain of salt. Any time you open up a forum for people to complain, they are going to do it. If you look through the reviews of just about any other complex or building, there are plenty of bad ones for nearly all of them. You can't please everyone. But I actually did write a positive review there of the place myself. I find many of those bad reviews ridiculous, having lived here a bit myself and knowing that some of the claims are just untrue. Any way, didn't know cats could freak out and jump off of high rises. I don't blame you not wanting to risk that. Good luck with your search.

Patrick
11-12-2006, 01:29 PM
Many of the reviews on apartmentratings.com, are written by competitors anyways. The site is a complete waste of time, IMO.

Mandy
11-13-2006, 04:31 AM
If you have the time to read all the reviews and weed them out (it's pretty obvious which ones are fake) you can use it to get enough of a general idea to determine whether it's worth seeing or not. Even one of my top picks doesn't have good reviews. Technically, they are all positive except someone complaining about trash pick up changing from five days a week to three - but they are all focused on how extraordinary the staff is, so...

Thanks for all the suggestions! It has really helped!

okcguy
11-13-2006, 11:54 AM
Just like Patrick mentioned that many of the bad reviews are written by competitors, many of the reviews singing the praises of the extraordinary staff are often written by the staff.

Mandy
11-13-2006, 12:01 PM
That's what I meant. :)

okcguy
11-13-2006, 12:51 PM
I'm a little slow some times, Mandy.

Patrick
11-13-2006, 03:47 PM
Quail Landing probably wouldn't be my pick. Too close to the mall, and the landscaping is horrible....looks like they threw the complex directly on a cow pasture. There are no trees, and the landscape is almost completely barren.

You mentioned 6000 Penn..it's very nice, but pricey. Most of those are owned, but they still lease out a few.

You might check into La Villa. It's a nice little complex in the middle of the Wileman Belle Isle Neighborhood.

If you're thinking farther our north, I'd go farther west, and look more in the MacArthur area. The Warrington, Crowne Pointe, and The Gables at Westlake are very nice. Most of the apartments around Quail Springs Mall,
with the exception of maybe Quail Landing and the one next door, are pretty iffy.

michelle138
12-02-2006, 12:52 PM
yeah im looking for a one bedroom apartment with wooden floors, preferably on the s.w. or not too far north.

bandnerd
12-02-2006, 01:02 PM
hmm...I might be able to get back to you on that. I have a friend who's moving back from SC in the summer and I've been helping her apartment hunt.

You might have a hard time finding an apartment with hardwood floors, though.

bandnerd
12-02-2006, 01:58 PM
Montclair Parc
10900 South Pennsylvania, Oklahoma City, OK 73170

Watersedge
4317 Southwest 22nd Street, Oklahoma City, OK 73108
(877) 203-7034

Cambridge Landing
8800 South Drexel, Oklahoma City, OK 73159
(866) 281-2692

here are a few I've found. I used ApartmentGuide.com - apartments for rent, apartment finder (http://www.apartmentguide.com) to search. I don't know what to tell you on the hardwood floor thing.

You may want to check out some houses for rent, you might find more of what you're looking for appearance-wise inside that way. I'm sure there are plenty to rent southside.

michelle138
12-02-2006, 06:21 PM
i found some!

okcguy
12-03-2006, 12:04 PM
No offense to the southside, but I think it would be a definite challenge to find an apartment with much character (wood floors and such) on that side of town.

michelle138
12-03-2006, 02:57 PM
i found some apts with hard wooden floors on the northside

fsusurfer
12-04-2006, 09:04 AM
Mandy,

If you want to live in a fun community with a majority of the tenants in their mid-late 20's Deep Deuce is the place. Easy access to all the bars downtown, tons of things to do within walking distance, not to mention the keggers at the pool over the summer. I'm from Florida, I've lived here 4 1/2 years...Although my time in OKC is probably coming to an end soon, I couldnt imagine having lived anywhere else in OKC..I'd have been extremly bored, and I would have left a long time ago.

metro
12-04-2006, 03:01 PM
The ones you mentioned are good. So are the Deep Deuce apartments. If you can wait a month or so, Legacy Summit at Arts Central would be a great place to be in the heart of the Arts Quarter. Where are you moving from? Welcome to OKC!!

bandnerd
12-04-2006, 04:27 PM
Do you really think they'll be done in a month? I have my doubts...I live next to them and it seems they still have quite a bit to do, unless a lot has happened on the inside that I haven't been able to see.

metro
12-05-2006, 07:15 PM
The inside will go up quick with new construction. It's not like its restoration like most projects downtown. Drywall and electrical can go up in just a few days. Paint and finishing a few more. I think by the end of January it will be open. Maybe not every single unit but I think they will have some available as well as some retail space and the main leasing office, etc. I guess time will tell.

Mandy
12-28-2006, 07:09 PM
I just wanted to thank everyone for the help. I found an apartment a couple weeks ago!

We looked at:
Montclair Parc
Quail Landing
Sycamore Square
Garden Gate

If anyone is considering those wants any info about them, feel free to ask! I was only planning on staying in an apartment for 6 months - 1 year, but I really like the one we got, so I might stay there longer!

metro
12-29-2006, 01:47 PM
Mandy, may I asked where you moved from?

Mandy
01-02-2007, 12:24 AM
Mandy, may I asked where you moved from?
Texas :)

Julesc2001
01-03-2007, 08:31 AM
Go with Garden Gate patio homes. Great location (63rd& NW Expressway) and are really nice!

metro
01-03-2007, 01:39 PM
As you can see, she already moved in and signed a lease, just FYI...

jbrown84
01-24-2007, 10:04 PM
I am looking at different housing options currently. Does anybody have any comments/criticism/recommendation, etc for the following:

The Aberdeen
Breighton (in the Paseo)
Brentwood Terrace
The Florence (midtown)
Warwick West
Pheasant Run
5th Avenue Lofts
The Garage Lofts
Park Harvey (even ready yet??)
Deep Deuce "at Bricktown"

and are there any similar properties that I'm not aware of? Thanks for the help.

bandnerd
01-25-2007, 06:15 AM
We looked at the Aberdeen before we moved downtown. They were cute, they had some nice 1-person sized units. They also have a walk-up which could be cool if that's your style. A little expensive for the size but you're paying for location!

I've known people that lived in both the 5th Avenue and Garage Lofts. I kind of liked the Garage lofts, kind of "bachelor-esque" though. Depends on what you're looking for.

Really just depends on what you're looking for.

BlakeM
01-29-2007, 04:00 PM
I am looking at different housing options currently. Does anybody have any comments/criticism/recommendation, etc for the following:

The Aberdeen
Breighton (in the Paseo)
Brentwood Terrace
The Florence (midtown)
Warwick West
Pheasant Run
5th Avenue Lofts
The Garage Lofts
Park Harvey (even ready yet??)
Deep Deuce "at Bricktown"

and are there any similar properties that I'm not aware of? Thanks for the help.I can put in a recommendation for Deep Deuce. I moved in there about a month ago and have mostly good things to say. First, it seems to be a really social place. Within an hour of moving in, two girls from the complex knocked on my door and invited me to a BBQ they were going to, and a couple of days after that, the guy next door knocked and invited me over for a beer. The distance to Bricktown is great, though it's been too cold to take advantage of that yet. Having an in complex bar and grill is great too.

The only downsides are that the gate, which is supposed to be locked and require a buzzer, is always open, and some of the security gates to the parking lot are open too. Doesn't concern me much, but if you're the type that worries a lot about security, keep that in mind.

mranderson
01-29-2007, 04:14 PM
Why not buy a house? It is YOUR investment and not the investment of some no care "slumlord" that will fill it with junk while charging you rent that is higher than a mortgage.

You make the profit. Not the other guy. Caviat emptor (sp). Except in the case of a renter, let the renter beware.

jbrown84
01-29-2007, 04:41 PM
Thanks mranderson, already got that speech from my dad. Not interested in buying at this time.

bandnerd
01-29-2007, 05:14 PM
The housing market is a little scary right now for some, and coming up with a down payment is sometimes impossible. If people want to rent, then let them rent.

My husband griped at me when we first moved in together, about "throwing money away" and whatnot and now he's perfectly content with our apartment situation (minus the few issues we have around here but at least if our water heater explodes we don't have to pay to get it fixed). We tried to buy a house, nothing fit our needs. This little apartment of ours fits every need except for my jonesing for more space/storage. But if you don't have much storage, you don't buy much junk ;)

Rent away, renters! Support Downtown OKC living!

mranderson
01-29-2007, 05:59 PM
Thanks mranderson, already got that speech from my dad. Not interested in buying at this time.

Giving you that "speech," which is really advise, makes him sound like a wise man. One day, you will give that same "speech," and the young person you give advise to will not listen either.

bandnerd
01-29-2007, 06:28 PM
Aw the sad vicious circles in which we live...

jbrown84
01-29-2007, 07:00 PM
Giving you that "speech," which is really advise, makes him sound like a wise man. One day, you will give that same "speech," and the young person you give advise to will not listen either.

I'm not a 12 year old. I know the pros and cons and this is what's best for me right now. I don't appreciate your condescension.

bandnerd
01-29-2007, 07:11 PM
:congrats: :bright_id :bow:

traxx
01-30-2007, 02:16 PM
Why not buy a house? It is YOUR investment and not the investment of some no care "slumlord" that will fill it with junk while charging you rent that is higher than a mortgage.

You make the profit. Not the other guy. Caviat emptor (sp). Except in the case of a renter, let the renter beware.

Have you ever heard the saying that "You can catch more flies with honey than with vinegar?" Although I agree that a house is an investment and a wiser use of money, you might have tried coming at it from a different direction or with a different tone rather than treating them like a bunch of punk 12 year olds with AK-47s who hang out at Crossroads Mall and gangbang. It's okay to offer advice without being condemning er I mean condescending. :tiphat:

windowphobe
01-30-2007, 05:54 PM
Have you ever heard the saying that "You can catch more flies with honey than with vinegar?"

Yeah, but who wants honey-coated flies?

Karried
01-31-2007, 05:59 PM
Well, if I had to choose between honey flies or vinegar flies (and I hope to never have to choose either) I'll pick the honey anytime ..:Smiley233