View Full Version : 4th and Broadway

Pages : [1] 2

Spartan
11-02-2006, 09:12 PM
Announcement coming in half a year. Why don't you all guess what it is and see who is closest to being correct once the announcement is out?

It will be fun.

John
11-03-2006, 01:16 AM
Mixed use structure on Kerr McGee's parking lot. Retail first floor, office/condo mix on the upper floors.

Luke
11-03-2006, 09:33 AM
Something with Triangle Development?

floater
11-03-2006, 10:41 AM
Another hotel?

Easy180
11-03-2006, 11:31 AM
MG's headquarters

wsucougz
11-03-2006, 12:25 PM
Sandridge. The company, not an actual sandridge.

jdsplaypin
11-03-2006, 12:42 PM
can we get a hint?

BDP
11-03-2006, 02:47 PM
If it can't be announced for 6 months, then my guess is nothing, but since no money is involved, I'll guess new retail.

Popsy
11-03-2006, 05:46 PM
82 story oil rig or the new Embassy Suites.:boff:

davido
11-05-2006, 01:30 PM
you mean next door North of TAP? our old mini parking lot? TAP has their own parking inside, and the Y parking lot is on the east side of 4th. I hate guessing games. I am sure it wont be retail, the lofts on 6th seem like they rent ok, so I will say another loft with inclosed parking. PM me if I am in the ballpark.:)

http://www.oklahomacounty.org/assessor/Searches/sketches/picfile/2729/R010012584001yA.jpg

http://www.oklahomacounty.org/assessor/Searches/sketches/picfile/2729/R010012584001zA.jpg

metro
11-05-2006, 03:02 PM
Why don't you just tell us if you know, otherwise considering your history on this site, not many will trust you in the first place. I'll believe whatever it is when I see it.

Spartan
11-05-2006, 03:12 PM
"considering your history on this site"

Makes me want to tell you it's a Wal Mart. I just thought guessing games would be fun, considering the recent history of discussions on this forum.

I am going to tell you it's a Wal Mart, Mr. Metro.

metro
11-05-2006, 03:15 PM
well Spartan, I doubt that, in fact I'll go out on a limb and say your flat out lying. Like I said, I'll believe it when I see it (when it's built), either that or wait for an official announcement from reputable sources.

Spartan
11-05-2006, 03:26 PM
I used to run a metro announcement thread on another forum that no longer exists.

Metro...having nothing to do with you.

davido
11-05-2006, 03:56 PM
it is going to be the first 10 story wal-mart.
http://img296.imageshack.us/img296/8149/walmart2yc4.png

Midtowner
11-05-2006, 04:05 PM
Anyone know the address of the site? I plugged it into the County Assessor's website, but couldn't get the address to come up. TAP across the street is 415 N. Broadway, so I'm guessing that the site across the street is an even numbered address between 404 and 420.

Kerry
11-05-2006, 04:47 PM
I'll put this guessing game to an end - it is in fact a 6 story Wal-Mart with groceries. It is a new concept that Wal-Mart is trying. However, it is not going by the name Wal-Mart. They are using the name Urban Market. The first floor will be groceries with an emphasis on fresh fruits and vegetables. The store will be geared towards the urban dweler, so no canoes or camping gear. They also plan to have an upscale wine selection but it will take some work on behlaf of the state to change a few laws, hince the six month wait. The other floors will have high-end furniture, plasma tvs, and designer clothes - no t-shirts with top ten list on them. There will also be a Penara Bread instead of the standard McDonalds. Actually, I'm just kidding but it would be a nice concept for Wal-Mart to try.

Midtowner
11-05-2006, 04:53 PM
Something like that would be a little premature for the area IMHO. Once a few of these residential developments are built, something like this might really be a winner.

Spartan
11-05-2006, 05:29 PM
No it's really not. If you go back to the future downtown had many of these type of stores.

I'll put this guessing game to an end - it is in fact a 6 story Wal-Mart with groceries. It is a new concept that Wal-Mart is trying. However, it is not going by the name Wal-Mart. They are using the name Urban Market. The first floor will be groceries with an emphasis on fresh fruits and vegetables. The store will be geared towards the urban dweler, so no canoes or camping gear. They also plan to have an upscale wine selection but it will take some work on behlaf of the state to change a few laws, hince the six month wait. The other floors will have high-end furniture, plasma tvs, and designer clothes - no t-shirts with top ten list on them. There will also be a Penara Bread instead of the standard McDonalds.

Seeing as this is the most likely guess, I will answer it: No.

But as far it being a neat idea for Wal Mart of all folks to try, I say not. I think it's horrible to even mentally conceive where Wal Mart would enter the downtown area.

redcup
11-05-2006, 05:55 PM
whole foods??

Kerry
11-05-2006, 06:30 PM
Actually, I was only half way being funny. Here in Jacskonville there is a new development called Kendall Towncenter. At the center of the development is a Super Walmart that is made to look like on old downtown building. It still takes up 3 football fields but it all brick and use windows to give it the look of a three story building.

http://www.jacksonville.com/tu-online/stories/041506/bus_21625156.shtml
Prospecting in Regency - The Business Journal of Jacksonville: (http://www.bizjournals.com/jacksonville/stories/2004/06/14/focus1.html)

Some might find it interesting that a local oil company (Gate) is behind a lot of the commercial and retail development in Jacksonville. Why? They have a lot of money they need to spend or else they have to pay it in taxes.

Spartan
11-05-2006, 06:31 PM
Does Tampa not have its own forum?

Kerry
11-05-2006, 07:43 PM
Don't know - I moved from Tampa 3 years ago.

Midtowner
11-05-2006, 07:53 PM
Some might find it interesting that a local oil company (Gate) is behind a lot of the commercial and retail development in Jacksonville. Why? They have a lot of money they need to spend or else they have to pay it in taxes.

That's actually very interesting. So in Florida, they don't tax corporate income if it's reinvested?

Kerry
11-05-2006, 08:00 PM
Gate has a real estate division so they can take profits from the oil business and use it to cover operating expenses in the real estate divsion. Since they now make lower profit at the top reporting company they don't have to pay as much in state and federal taxes since the actual profit is lower. Plus they get to diversify their business to make it through the lean years. This might be the same thing Chesapeak is doing on Western Ave.

TStheThird
11-06-2006, 08:01 AM
My sister dates Hill Peyton, the younger one. They also own resorts.

metro
11-06-2006, 12:23 PM
Kerry, they actually built a similar Wal-Mart here in Edmond and it will be a upscale retail center as well with other shops surrounding the Wal-Mart. Either way Tampa or Wal-Mart don't relate to 4th and Broadway in downtown OKC.

ChristianConservative
11-06-2006, 01:29 PM
Kerry, they actually built a similar Wal-Mart here in Edmond and it will be a upscale retail center as well with other shops surrounding the Wal-Mart. Either way Tampa or Wal-Mart don't relate to 4th and Broadway in downtown OKC.

I've been in this Wal-Mart and it's no different than any other Wal-Mart. The facade is just fake stucco. I don't see how anyone can consider a strip center with a Wal-Mart upscale.

BDP
11-06-2006, 01:42 PM
Everything is upscale these days, CC. :)

Spartan
11-06-2006, 04:59 PM
The facade is just fake stucco.

I believe the stuff is EIFS, though I don't go to Edmond just for the Stuporcenters. Exterior Insulation and Finish Systems, a very creative term...commonly referred to as Synthetic Stucco.

metro
11-07-2006, 09:49 AM
I've been in this Wal-Mart and it's no different than any other Wal-Mart. The facade is just fake stucco. I don't see how anyone can consider a strip center with a Wal-Mart upscale.

I never used the word upscale if you'll re-read my post you quoted. I just stated the one in Edmond is similar to the one previously mentioned out of state.

Midtowner
11-07-2006, 10:02 AM
posted in the wrong thread.

BDP
11-09-2006, 02:19 PM
I never used the word upscale if you'll re-read my post you quoted.

they actually built a similar Wal-Mart here in Edmond and it will be a upscale retail center as well with other shops surrounding the Wal-Mart.

I'm thinking 4th and Broadway is getting an upscale retail center, possibly with a Wal-Mart.

They will use upscale stucco.

;)

Centerback
11-09-2006, 03:17 PM
I own a parking lot on 4th just west of Broadway and I know nothing other than that lot will be there for at least 14 years.

Spartan
11-09-2006, 03:41 PM
You know this because of the deed? And ye has never heard of a buy-out? It's called development. You ever watch Trump?

Midtowner
11-10-2006, 11:48 AM
You know this because of the deed? And ye has never heard of a buy-out? It's called development. You ever watch Trump?

Unless that lot is found to be 'blighted' which I don't think you can do, it cannot be "bought out" as you say. You can't buy from an unwilling seller. If there really are plans as you say, I'd be pretty shocked that someone has gone through an significant amount of planning without even informing the present owner that they intend to tender an offer for the land.

Spartan, it appears so far that you're making this up. You've offered no substantial evidence, none of the land records indicate that property in that area has changed hands recently.

Maybe one of Anderson's major league commissioner buddies could give you some insight into this?

Centerback
11-14-2006, 12:34 PM
I assure you I've heard of many more things to obtain possesion than a buyout.

I'm quite certain that with the deed, and current lease that is in place that no one, not even Mr. Trump has any intentions of doing anything with the property to which I referred.

In addition, neither I nor my attorney has been contacted about this property for any purpose.

BDP
11-14-2006, 12:43 PM
Ok, since I guessed "nothing", do I win?

metro
11-14-2006, 03:07 PM
Unless that lot is found to be 'blighted' which I don't think you can do, it cannot be "bought out" as you say. You can't buy from an unwilling seller. If there really are plans as you say, I'd be pretty shocked that someone has gone through an significant amount of planning without even informing the present owner that they intend to tender an offer for the land.

Spartan, it appears so far that you're making this up. You've offered no substantial evidence, none of the land records indicate that property in that area has changed hands recently.

Maybe one of Anderson's major league commissioner buddies could give you some insight into this?

Good one, perhaps mr.anderson and spartan are going to build that MLB stadium after all, at 4th and Broadway. and then mranderson will get elected to city council after all.

metro
10-09-2007, 02:48 PM
Rumor has it that the Greater OKC Chamber of Commerce is going to build new digs here. I found out who owns this land (OPUBCO). If this is true it really sucks because this is one of very few park areas downtown. In fact other than the Memorial and Myriad Gardens it really is the only park area. It's perfect for outdoor performances such as the DeadCENTER film festival. I hope this is not true but I've heard this from more than one source.

Oklahoma County Assessor Online Mapping (http://oklahoma.latitudegeo.com/imf/imf.jsp?site=oklahoma&qlyr=9&qzoom=true&qbuf=250&qhlt=true&qry=OKCPARCEL.PARCEL.PIN%3D%272729010011180%27)

Leonard Sullivan Oklahoma County Assessor Real Property Detail Sheet (http://www.oklahomacounty.org/assessor/Searches/AN-R.asp?ACCOUNTNO=R010011180)

Furthermore, if you go to the Chambers website, look who you'll find on their executive committee, David Thompson and Clay Bennett. Both with OPUBCO affiliation.

Greater Oklahoma City Chamber - About the Chamber - Executive Committee (http://www.okcchamber.com/page.asp?atomid=260)

Kerry
10-09-2007, 05:13 PM
Don't worry about downtown park space - lots coming in Core to Shore.

metro
10-10-2007, 07:33 AM
Yeah in 10-15 years. Funny you mention Core to Shore Kerry. Look who's the big promoter of it. The Chamber of Commerce. If they are such visionaries and promoting it, they should take the lead and build in the Core to Shore area.

betts
10-10-2007, 09:04 AM
Are we sure this isn't planned for the parking lots on the west side of Broadway there? Aren't they for sale? That seems like a more likely site.

Turanacus
10-10-2007, 09:05 AM
Sandridge is going to demo about 3 buildings in the Kerr McGee complex and do some very advanced design ideas. It's not at 4th and Broadway so my guess is . . . . PF Changs.

jbrown84
10-10-2007, 09:14 AM
What kind of facility are they building? That lot is far to close to the CBD for some 2 story building.

jbrown84
10-10-2007, 09:15 AM
It's not at 4th and Broadway so my guess is . . . . PF Changs.

what????

Turanacus
10-10-2007, 09:43 AM
What the CDB is?

solitude
10-10-2007, 10:10 AM
I'm confused. Isn't 4th & Broadway the old home of The Daily Oklahoman and headquarters of all things OPUBCO until they moved out on Broadway? Where is the park space? I can just picture the old building on the NE corner. It was a big deal back in the day to say that all the problems in OKC start and end at '4th and Broadway'.

metro
10-10-2007, 12:35 PM
solitude, the green space we're referring to is between 4th and 3rd. It's where Broadway curves slightly. If you click the link I provided above, it will take you to the county assessor's site where there is a picture of the land plot. It will make sense. Anyhow, OPUBCO (The Oklahoman's entity) owns the greenspace in addition to the old Oklahoman/Times building. Pretty solid information I've heard regarding the Chamber rumor. Makes even more sense when you see who owns it and who's on the board of the chamber. Click on the links I provided above.

tuck
10-10-2007, 03:33 PM
Its a done deal...they have been interviewing architects/contractors.

BG918
10-11-2007, 11:35 PM
^ What is it???

metro
10-12-2007, 07:16 AM
The new chamber of commerce building like I announced a few posts up.

Spartan
10-14-2007, 09:03 PM
Correctamundo.

PUGalicious
10-15-2007, 05:10 AM
Correctamundo.
Now there is a quality contribution. :rolleyes:

metro
10-19-2007, 07:48 AM
As usual, you heard it first hear on OKCTalk before the media gets it. Scroll back a page or two. Of course, sometimes they are asked to wait on stories.

What really gets me is the chamber and other leaders say they are "leading the way" and that the new location are at the "gateway to downtown" but yet at the same time these are the same officials that say Core To Shore will be the new gateway to downtown and the new downtown boulevard. Seems to me they will be further from the gateway into downtown and more hidden. Sad to see Roy Boy wishes for a one or two story building instead of their more urban 5 stories they are in now on Park Ave. I realize this is a little more visible, but definitely does not sound urban with a parking lot and one or two stories. Sounds like the Chamber has lost the vision if you ask me.

Nonetheless, here it is:

Chamber plans relocation to ‘iconic' new building

By Steve Lackmeyer
Business Writer

The Greater Oklahoma City Chamber wants to build a new "iconic” headquarters on one of the most prominent, undeveloped parcels of property left downtown.

The chamber's board voted last week to pursue building plans, and candidates for an owner's representative to oversee the project are being interviewed through next week. That owner's representative would then establish a timeline and budget and assist in hiring architects and contractors.

Roy Williams, chamber president, said Thursday the new chamber headquarters will be built at NW 4 and Broadway, across from the E.K. Gaylord Building (home of the YMCA). The building will span 50,000 square feet and would also be home to the Oklahoma City Convention and Visitors Bureau.

"The chamber's board of directors is eager to commence this project,” wrote Clayton I. Bennett, chair of the chamber's facilities committee, in a letter to architects and engineers. "We envision an iconic building that conveys the progressive nature of the Oklahoma City business community.”

The property in question is partially owned by the Oklahoma City Urban Renewal Authority and in recent years has been used for outdoor movie screenings at the annual Dead Center Film Festival. The property is at the crossroads of Deep Deuce, Bricktown, Automobile Alley and the central business district.

For years the chamber was located on the ground floor of the Santa Fe Parking Garage. The chamber moved to its current home, 123 Park Ave., in 1993. Discussions about the chamber needing a larger home have been underway for several years.

"In a perfect world a two-story building is what we would want,” Williams said. "We do not have enough space now, and we really don't want to continue to have our employees on five floors.”

Williams said the location is intended to position the chamber and visitors bureau as a front door and welcome center to downtown. He envisions the property providing convenient parking, a lobby area for visitors and an outdoor courtyard.

"We want to have a signature front door for the community so that when dealing with prospects they are wowed,” Williams said. "We want to set a standard for future office development downtown.”

Spartan
10-19-2007, 08:15 AM
Now there is a quality contribution. :rolleyes:

Hey Pug I threw the rumor out there I was just stating that metro was right. And metro, actually no OKC Talk was not the first to report, but was the second, and the Daily Oklahoman was the third, and the Journal Record will be the fourth.

Which is really bizarre because it's usually the other way around lol.

But I think Steve Lackmeyer saw this thread or another thread, so you guys should pat yourselves on the back. :)

Sparty

CuatrodeMayo
10-19-2007, 08:16 AM
Agreed...sad.

It better be one heck of a building to only be 2 stories.

BDP
10-19-2007, 09:59 AM
Good point, Mayo. That's a pretty strong piece of property and, while it's nice to see it developed, it will be taking one of the last undeveloped sites off the market and gurantee that no private world class office tower will be built there. Pretty much after this, if you want to build in the core, something else will have to come down.

Pete
10-19-2007, 10:21 AM
Actually, the south half of the Galleria parking lot is still a prime piece of un/underdeveloped property.

BDP
10-19-2007, 10:26 AM
No, you're right. I meant completely undeveloped. I'm not going to complain if they replace it with anything, but you know how attached we are to our parking lots. I just meant that any core development would require the extra step of some sort of demolition at this point. When 40 moves that will change that dynamic as well.

I still think the site you're talking about would be great for a new convention hotel or office tower. It's kind of a shame to have that real estate right across from the myrid gardens just be a parking lot. I believe it was supposed to be a mall in the urban renewal plans, which would be really nice right there, but I'm not holding my breath.

Same with the south side. It's a car dealership. I don't know what their long term plans are, but it would also be nice to see some sort of structure built there to frame the gardens.