View Full Version : Chesapeake's plans for Western Avenue

ChristianConservative
11-01-2006, 02:23 PM
Many of you here probably haven't seen the plans Chesapeake has for Western Avenue. I've read here that many oppose Chesapeake's plans for the district, with the consensus bein g that Chesapeake will destroy the Western Avenue District as we now know it. Nothing could be farther from the truth. Plans do call for the Chesapeak campus to expand to the edge of NW 63rd street, but land along Western Avenue north of NW 63rd Street has been slated for commercial development.

Cheapeake's long term plans are to demolish existing structures along Western Avenue and replace them with 2-4 story structures with an English village theme, that will house a mix of retail, restaurant, etc. Hopes are to attract stores like Nordstroms, Niemann Marcus, and other upscale shops for the Nichols Hills Community.

I hope this sets the record straight on Chesapeake's plans for the Western Avenue District.

Patrick
11-01-2006, 02:32 PM
I think the one-of-a-kind hole in the wall restaurants and shops on Western Avenue make the district unique. I think any new construction with destruction of existing development in the area will take away from the overall atmosphere the Western Avenue District presents. I don't see anything unique about an "English style" development. How many of these are there around the nation? Just my $0.02.

Pete
11-01-2006, 05:53 PM
If Chesapeake's plans are so above-board and positive for the city, why haven't they made them public?

And stores like Nordstrom & N-M need lots of square footage and parking, so if it's really their intention to go this direction that would involve some major surgery on an area of town that is already thriving.

But I'm not going to worry too much until I see some sort of specific plans.

Spartan
11-01-2006, 05:59 PM
Why would Chesapeake go out of their way to screw up their part of town?

There's also plans for a little mixed-use condo housing in here as well.

The bulk of Western's charming little hole in the walls are south of I 44 -- an area that will not be touched.

I would however doubt how much longer The Metro Bistro will be staying put. Very ugly building...they will have to move somewhere. Or become a tenant of the new development, lol...

Striking how often people never think of that.

y_h
11-02-2006, 07:55 AM
Seems to me the Metro would fit in very well with the type of upscale "lifestyle center" (as these things are called) that CC indicates is in the works.

Midtowner
11-02-2006, 08:41 AM
A.C. is a visionary. Good for him. I'm glad to see these guys getting into the development biz. Even if they don't know the first thing about it, there are guys like T.A.P. who do.

ChristianConservative
11-02-2006, 09:58 AM
These plans aren't certain. They're among discussions behind closed doors in Chesapeake's offices.

BDP
11-02-2006, 10:14 AM
with the consensus bein g that Chesapeake will destroy the Western Avenue District as we now know it. Nothing could be farther from the truth.

But that's exactly what that plan is proposing to do.

That definately sounds better than just expanding the campus and converting publically accessible services into exclusive services. But, I'm still having trouble seeing anything wrong with Western as it is now. It could use some more density, as most of Oklahoma City could, but, still, why tear down one of Oklahoma City's viable districts.

Obviously, it's impossible to judge something until we've seen it and I will say that the plan as you've described it gives some hope to Chesepeake's consideration of the area, but it's all in the execution and we do actually have something to lose here as opposed to several areas of the city that have been hurting for years or are completely undeveloped.

metro
11-02-2006, 10:36 AM
These plans aren't certain. They're among discussions behind closed doors in Chesapeake's offices.

if so then why are you leaking unofficial unverified information?

BG918
11-02-2006, 12:38 PM
I wouldn't mind seeing those Georgian buildings of theirs come up to the street with a strip of retail/restaurants along the street with metered parking. It would make for an interesting little district. A nice "link" between Crown Heights and Nichols Hills. Some residential along the street would be a nice addition and quite a few young Chesapeake workers would probably be interested in living so close with easy walking access to dozens of shops and restaurants.

ChristianConservative
11-02-2006, 04:08 PM
if so then why are you leaking unofficial unverified information?

It's more from talks I've had with the leadership at Chesapeake. Specific details aren't being shared with the general public, but I haven't shared any information that would be considered "classified."

Some Guy
11-03-2006, 10:11 AM
ChristianConservative, Do you have any insight into why Chesapeake is working on this major development along Western (and in nearby areas) in the first place? The large property acquisition and development efforts would seem to take management's time and attention away from the company's core business. This question is being asked with respect and sincerity: I do not yet understand the rationale behind this allocation of resources. Thank you.

Midtowner
11-03-2006, 10:17 AM
Some Guy,

I'd prognosticate that they're doing it for two reasons:

1) They need to expand their hard assets and diversify their business. The O&G business is cyclical, and if they find themselves on a down cycle, it will have been smart to invest money into things which will turn out a profit regardless of the state of energy prices.

2) Recognition: Oklahoma City's more elite developments have been dominated by a select few insiders who have excluded other developers in an almost conspiratorial manner. These kinds of developments will do a lot to move people like A.C. into the inner circle of the real decision makers of the city.

floater
11-03-2006, 10:38 AM
These kinds of developments will do a lot to move people like A.C. into the inner circle of the real decision makers of the city.

For the uninitiated, who is AC? Is Aubrey McClendon?

I'll be on the fence with this until I see plans. If it appears to be another streetside strip center, then blah. If more community-like as in Utica or Nichols Hills Plaza, then that would be more acceptable.

Swake2
11-03-2006, 08:21 PM
Maybe by zero coincidence Utica Square is owned by Helmerich & Payne, a large Tulsa based energy company. They also own Miss Jackson's, Tulsa's best department store in Utica.

HP: Profile for HELMERICH PAYNE - Yahoo! Finance (http://finance.yahoo.com/q/pr?s=hp)

floater
11-03-2006, 08:56 PM
^ Very eenteresting...

Midtowner
11-04-2006, 12:14 AM
For the uninitiated, who is AC? Is Aubrey McClendon?

I'll be on the fence with this until I see plans. If it appears to be another streetside strip center, then blah. If more community-like as in Utica or Nichols Hills Plaza, then that would be more acceptable.

A.C. = Aubrey McClendon.

I just didn't want to look up the spelling.

Spartan
11-05-2006, 02:56 PM
ChristianConservative, Do you have any insight into why Chesapeake is working on this major development along Western (and in nearby areas) in the first place? The large property acquisition and development efforts would seem to take management's time and attention away from the company's core business. This question is being asked with respect and sincerity: I do not yet understand the rationale behind this allocation of resources. Thank you.

Most energy companies around the nation have invested in neighorhood real estate.

Some Guy
11-06-2006, 12:31 PM
FYI, there is an interesting article about Chesapeake on page one of today's Wall Street Journal. In the article, the author touches on Chesapeake's real estate development efforts:

"Mr. McClendon is laying the groundwork for even more growth in years ahead. In the past two years, Chesapeake has snapped up dilapidated ranch homes, apartment complexes and a retail strip with a Starbucks near its north Oklahoma City headquarters. Chesapeake officials say that building a large, attractive campus is essential to luring top-notch talent away from Houston's cluster of energy companies."

ChristianConservative
11-06-2006, 01:06 PM
Since I once was part of the Chesapeake organization, I can give the reasons:

1. Diversificiation. NG prices won't be high forever

2. Continue to Improve the area around the corporate HQ.

John
11-06-2006, 01:21 PM
In the past two years, Chesapeake has snapped up...a retail strip with a Starbucks near its north Oklahoma City headquarters."

Yep, Nichols Hills Plaza is just 'a retail strip with a Starbucks'. Good job, WSJ! :rolleyes:

ChristianConservative
11-06-2006, 01:23 PM
Yep, Nichols Hills Plaza is just 'a retail strip with a Starbucks'. Good job, WSJ! :rolleyes:

What about the most upscale grocery store in the city? And a host of other upscale shops? The WSJ is full of nonsense.

BDP
11-06-2006, 01:39 PM
Maybe they forgot about Crescent, like I usually do, because it's never open (at least not for people who work) ;)

Martin
11-06-2006, 03:41 PM
i can understand the concern about losing unique buildings... but the strip shopping center, the laredo's and the wendy's all on the south side of 63rd? c'mon... it looked pretty junky, imo. sure, i'll miss pearl's, but correct me if i'm wrong... I can't think of much else that's being ripped out that's all that quaint or unique... -M

Pete
11-06-2006, 05:40 PM
Thinking positively, I think the combination of CHK and the existing area is OKC's best shot at ever creating a truly high-end shopping and dining district.

I think all of OKC envies Tulsa for Utica Square as we have nothing comparable. Bricktown is and will remain more of an entertainment district but there is still room for a different type of development and it makes much more sense at 63rd & Western than in proposed developments in Edmond and Norman.

And perhaps the more off-beat places would gravitate further south down Western and/or to the Paseo or Midtown areas.

I could see where townhouses and garden homes would do very well in the areas east of Western which are now primarily underutilized and littered with mainly industrial type buildings.

I'll try not to let all the past mistakes in OKC's redevelopment efforts make me too cynical. Frankly, we haven't had a company with the resources like CHK take a good crack at something this ambitious.

It sure would be nice to have another area in OKC where you could spend a good part of the day with visitors.

BG918
11-06-2006, 09:17 PM
Western is a pretty unique roadway as it goes from Midtown near the Asian District up through Crown Heights and the "Western Ave. District" and then across I-44 to the area in question before going through upscale Nichols Hills. As I said before the look of Chesapeake's Georgian-style campus is beautiful and making that area more urban with more buildings like that and a mixed-use component would be awesome for OKC. Expand Crown Heights and into a larger walkable district centered around the Will Rogers Theatre and you have three, possibly four, distinct areas along Western. There could someday be enough critical mass to develop a LRT/streetcar line, see my post in this thread about that:http://www.okctalk.com/okc-metro-area-talk/7105-maps-iii-light-rail-5.html